Did you see it? What did you think?

Did you see it? What did you think?
I just got back from it, and loved it, Godzillas new designs were terrifying. The scene of him attacking the city at night was beautiful.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E8c-UPVYR_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=BKCEiNk198E
youtu.be/eYUj_SuVldc
youtube.com/watch?v=vL_EjDaRFsw
youtube.com/watch?v=72a7F1SF8Vk
youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ru-wduZ70&list=PL_Bg39cb6VXImKhiTQEB6vUwfPg1vjGD9
reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comments/54dqo2/godzilla_2014_the_gojira_cut_fan_edit_slated_for/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Closest theater is 3 hours away :(

Seeing it Thursday because it's 3 hours away and I have to take time off work.

Damn guys that's a shame. If you're a fan it's worth the drive I'd say. It was only 30 minutes away for me thankfully.

I live five minutes away (walking distance) from my closet theatre

>5 days to go
My body can't take it, every day the hype just builds

Is that poster implying Godzilla evolved from a paper crane?

Nah, it's a major plot point near the end.

>Japs in a room talk and make worried faces for 2 hours with some cool lizard scenes the movie

Got tickets to go see it tomorrow, pretty excited. Hopefully the crowd is good too.

>closet theatre

How do you fit your falcon and your anvil in a closet?

>closet theatre
is that a gay term?

no its a 2deep4u thing based upon the one thousand origami cranes

SPOILERS

lol na, just kidding. Piqued my interest though.

Well now I gotta guess

All hope is lost and Gojirra is fucking up Tokyo and there's that last ditch effort the military implements and if it fails they all die so everyone gets together in a bunker or bunkers around the city possibly for the last time and everyone folds one paper crane as a last "we're all human beans" montage and the plan works in the end. Or a character that's been folding them for years finally finishes his thousandth crane and uses his wish to wish that the humans survive this

It was pure kino.

Greatest Godzilla film by far.

Just got back from watching it
It is very obvious Anno directed the film

>tfw closest near me tomorrow is 25 minutes away
>tfw none near me this weekend

That's what I loved. It was basically a live action Evangelion episode with Godzilla.

>It is very obvious Anno directed the film

Seeing this tomorrow. Thank you for this.

So a Godzilla film then?

I liked.

It was slow to start but I guess that was just a part of the bureaucracy.

Music was good, acting was great.

Some nice comedy moments thrown in there (especially the googley eye).

I really really really like this pepe

>That ending.
Is Shin Godzilla a prequel to Nausicaa? Those were God Warriors, right?

That movie was a ride. Started slow, had some really dull moments when it go way into government bureaucracy at work, had some great moments that helped create a real sense of realism and plausibility only to have a really lame ending. Ending aside, great movie that could have been better.

Didn't he work on both movies?

Me too! Save it, tt's all your my friend.

Jumped right in from the beginning, no previews or typical story arc ramp up. Initial non stop dialog

Broke the fourth wall by referring to "lone wolf's geeks & nerds" being the ones who would stop gojira.

Music was a mixed homage to early G flics, with a dash of streets of San fransisco

yeah, he was a key animator on nausicaa, did the god warrior sequences

Yeah, the scene with the back was the real climax of the film. Good scene! Just that everything else was a wind-down from that.

Just got out. The CGI isn't to Hollywood standard but all of the destruction had massive weight behind it. It is a testament to the importance of focusing on the content motivating the destruction rather then dazzling, spectacle bullshit. A fucking +

>literally describes a Godzilla movie and implies it's a bad thing

Fuck off.

Oh and not one asshole my theater, which was packed. Audience applause at beginning & end

Probably due to mini-Con occurring in lobby before hand with said geeks admiring each others vintage cheeto smeared tee shirts

I likes it.

USA girl or environmental girl tho?

no question

r/SHILL THREAD

Who gives a fuck about this shitty looking gookstravaganza.

Me.

Can you post a link to an English sub rip?

Its nigger chink shit.

The tail thing at the end was retarded, and the rip off of iron man 2s "muh secret element" was pretty meh, but overall it was excellent.

But what does it mean?

The worst part was all the subtitles for EVERYTHING. Anytime someone walked in a room they had to say in subtitles who they were, whenever they shot a missile they had subtitles to say what missile it was.

JUST FUCKING THE MISSLE YOU DONT NEED TO TELL US WHAT KIND IT IS

What was retarded about the tail?

Just saw it and enjoyed it.
Woulda changed some things though.
I liked the original theory of this Godzilla being the original 1954 one finally finishing regenerated after being blasted from the hydrogen bomb.

Also I felt like the end was a bit anticlimactic. The night time Godzilla attack where he first showed off his lasers I felt would have made a much better finale, with all those beautiful visuals and amazing music.

I also do agree there was too much talking.
>HA, BABY'S FIRST GODZILLA MOVE? AMIRITE?
Just because every Godzilla movie does it doesn't mean it's not a flaw.
I've come to expect loads of talking and planning from Godzilla movies, I've seen them all. And I was impressed how this movie made all the political stuff so entertaining to watch for so long. Good job Anno, but after like the 1:45 - 2 hour minute mark I felt like it some of that around that part in the movie could have been condensed.

that's a trademark of anno

Just got back.

Very good movie. I agree, the 2nd act w/ him attacking the city at night was fucking outrageous and terrifyingly gorgeous. Most fun I've had at a movie in a decade.

Just got back. I thought it pretty good, funny at times and Godzilla's laser was fucking awesome. I'm hoping for a more action-packed and dare I say campy entry next.

I think they made him too strong. It's clear this Godzilla is too OP and if they make sequels they have no way to stop him. God forbid other monsters show up Tokyo is fucked.

Anno is literally autistic, I expected no less

>God forbid other monsters
the last shot was of Godzilla's tail with all the buds. I'm pretty sure the next movie is going to be a shit ton of godzillas.

He's /ourguy/

ALSO part of me wishes that Godzilla won. I feel like he was beaten to easily. I know it took them the whole movie to figure out HOW to beat him, and there was that one hiccup when they were trying to freeze him but then they just tried again and it was okay. The end. Idunno, I guess this goes along with my "the ending was anitclimatic" complaint

Then all of Japan is fucked this Godzilla is way to OP with laser beams and can sense when anything is nearby.

Good to see Anno not looking completely miserable for once.

Was anyone else rooting for Godzilla? I didn't want the japs to lose, but I didn't want Godzilla to lose either.

I was sad when he got frozen :(

does he move his arms?

I just hate movie endings that try to be deep with absolutly no context at all

II never saw EVA, does he do this as well? It got really old, really quick.

The same thing it meant in 1998 except it'll actually happen this time

I honestly don't know how they'll handle it unless they pull an Aliens and make them easy to kill.

Not to this extent. I kind of hope I can turn them off on the blu ray myself.

How was it deep? Ambiguity =/= deep and those visuals are not out of the ordinary for a Godzilla movie:

What was this actresses name. Need to "research" her for tonight

The ending wasn't really deep, it was just a bit eerie and a pretty blatant sign of what may come. So not really ambiguous either, it was pretty straight forward

The scene at night with "Who Will Know?" playing in the background and Godzilla unleashing his atomic powers was easily the best scene in the movie. It almost carried the entire movie (the fishlike floundering of stage 2 godzilla at the beginning of the movie also had its own charm).

Everything that happened after that point felt extraordinarily slow.

Going to see it on either Thursday or Saturday and the nearest theater isn't that far away. Can't fucking wait.

They setup the US being part of the Godzilla Defense Force for the sequels pretty fucking hard.

When "American Girl" was taking on the plane to the guy they called "US Official". They made sure to hide his face and tell her he didn't want any nuked dropped and to find a way to help Japan.

He will clearly be a part of the sequels as an ally.

This movie showed me how americans are way ahead of other countries when it comes to cgi. I wish they hired overseas help with it because certain parts I really noticed the fakeness.

HOW IN THE FUCK DOES HIS TAIL HAVE DEAD BODIES AND SHOOTS LAZERS?!
Watched it. So much exposition but I enjoy the fact that the Japanese government Was totally unprepared and disregarded one of their prodigies that would rise up within the ranks due to the terror to make a plan that would stop the monstrosity. What did you guys think of Shin Godzilla's Lamprey form? The Blood Spilling? The effects of the bullets, Missiles, Rockets, and Tank rounds having little to no effect on him?

Good fucking lord the cinematography was god-tier. I applaud Anno for making almost every frame INTERESTING. But like, 95% of shots worked and the others didn't. Also the use of the music was a bit awkward at times. I enjoyed hearing Decisive Battle 5 times but it the remixes could have been reworked to fit into the scenes better because they were a bit jarring.

The text flashing for every single person/thing was just something that doesn't translate well to English audiences but it worked fine and wasn't bad.

The pacing in general was a little too fast and it could have slowed down a lot at times, but it was still very well done and definitely felt very Anno-like. That entire scene where he attacks Tokyo at night was pure kino and the final shot of his tail was Evangelion as fuck.

This was the best Godzilla movie in terms of artistic quality. Bravo Anno you absolute madman.

>5th FLOOR HOTEL ROOM
>ON THE ROOF
>JANITOR OF BUILDING A

They did this, I couldn't believe it.

>American Girl
fuck man, there were Japanese characters that spoke better English than her. I knew she was supposed to be bad, but man...

80% of the CGI was fine. They were running behind and had to rush some of the CGI to get it done though which is why some of it looked a lot worse than other scenes

The lamprey form was goofy and everyone in the theatre chuckled at it, but it was also genuinely horrifying to think about that thing shuffling towards you.

The effects were really really really bad compared to standard Hollywood shit. A lot of people laughed when Lamprey Zilla showed up. But it's Japanese so it wasn't detrimental.

Just got through watching it and the theater was packed. Very surprised and happy.

I absolutely loved it. Story, cinematography, and use of humor even.
I was enthralled by all the building destruction and new concepts of evolving godzilla

My only complaints are poor sound effects and silly cgi at times

10/10 go see it Cred Forums

>A lot of people laughed when Lamprey Zilla showed up

I did as well because they cave him the most retarded face. They gave him googly eyes and it looked like he had brain damage.

I didnt mean it was actually deep, it felt more pretentious. Like the spinner shit at the end of Inception where all the Chads yelled DUDE

What is to come?

He's kind of like ET, both funny and scary at the same time

The way the US was portrayed in this movie felt as all over the place as the movie itself.
One moment you have the US doing the only damage with conventional weapons only to have 3 B2s shot down then go all nuke happy along side Russia and China only to have France stop the nuclear strike.

How can she sit on top of a irradiated beast just like it's nothing? Wouldn't she be molded into Gojira already with her clothes all burnt/melded into her flesh as she screams in agony as her skeletal form reaches outward for despair?

Shin Shin Gojira: Dai-Gojira 4.0+1

But the "US OFFICIAL" was on Japan's side. So I'm assuming they will set him up as a go-to American friend.

Dare I say it. This movie tops the American one of 2014/2015.No doubt about it

It's no question this Godzilla can beat the 2014 American one and I liked the American on.

Ya the CGI in the beginning with the second stage was total cringe, got way better later in the movie. I'd still only give it an 8/10 for how much of a let down the ending was and several other flaws in the movie.

What were you guys' audiences like? I felt like half of my audience expected it to be Hollywood shit and wasn't prepared for that much Japanese talking. They were probably expecting a casual experience. There were a couple of kids too.

I dont think they were dead bodies, those things had Godzilla spikes on their backs, looks like they were like.. little Godzilla monsters that were gonna come off of him

That statement is about as daring as saying that burnt toast isn't as good as perfectly toasted toast.

Not trying to shill the 2014 one, but the two films are so absolutly different its hard to compare em.

Its like comparing the 1980 Thing to the X-Files episode

Not even a contest. Saw both in theatres and everything I disliked about the first one like the lack of Godzilla screentime and the wood Ass who gives a fuck protagonist were completely overcome but this new hotness

No one seemed surprised by it being in Japanese and I heard some people talking about how they could see Anno's direction in it from Eva.

They looked like Godzilla/Human hybrids.

Did anyone notice Asuka was in the movie? It was during the twitter scene, someone had her as an avatar.

I'm going tomorrow in DC.
Hmu friends.

Despite being 90% full you could hear a pen drop in our theater the while movie, except for cursing out the anime trailers at the beginning with a few people calling it retarded. No real reactions until after the movie ended and everyone liked it better than the American one. I went in hoping for subs and no one seemed surprised to see them.

>wood Ass
I believe the movie you're referring to is "Head Ass"

Completely silent yet respectable thruout the film with a few giggles by the reaction of the new PM of Japan. Crowd roared when Japan started attacking Gojira in both waves.

>anime trailers at the beginning
oh my fucking cringe
I hate funimation.
hopefully the indie theater i'm at doesn't show that stupid shit tomorrow

Just got back after seeing it. Like others have said, you can totally feel that this was directed by Anno. I'm almost certain that some of the shots and angles he used were literally lifted from Eva. There was also a surprising amount of good humor in it, but it never felt like it was too much or forced. It had a neat commentary on the Japanese/US relationship as well as just Japanese culture in general. I'm sure some people will say it was boring. I literally overheard someone as I was leaving saying how they thought they showed too much of the bureaucracy and the meetings. I thought it was great, though.

Agreed. While the American Godzilla had some cool moments, at the end of the day, it was just a cool looking action movie.

Either way I wanted more breaking bad but he wasn't in this new one either

There weren't any trailers in front of my showing so you should be good.

I heard there was NGE music in it too, is that true?

Look like God Warriors.

Weird I went to the Alamo Theatre in Kalamazoo Michigan @ 7:30 and it was mostly old timey commercials to Godzilla and Mattel toys of the franchise. + some spin offs like Pinky and the Brain/Simpsons and Shaquelle o Neal.

>tfw no comfy alamo nearby

there are like 5 mixes of decisive battle

>I also do agree there was too much talking.
This was also an Anno movie. You should have expected it.

Surprised at all the non-neckbeards and weebs there, considering how there was no marketing for the film. Pretty quiet throughout, I expected there to be cheering when Godzilla used his atomic breath for the first time but there was none. People did laugh at some of the lines making fun of America and at the scene where they called the emergency meeting with the scientists and they were all anime directors

remixed 5 times

it was glorious

youtube.com/watch?v=E8c-UPVYR_Q

I can't remember if it literally lifted the same tracks, but it definitely reminded me of the music from Eva as I was watching it.

im pretty sure a lot of the shots of tanks lined up and explosions rippling off godzilla were almost exactly shots used when the military was attacking sachiel in the first ep

Yep, only two tracks, one is the Decisive Battle theme and the other I believe is one of the tracks from 3.33

>sagisu shiro
well, it makes sense

Japanese are legit autistic. They feel the need to label everything and their movies are empty of genuine interaction or emotions.

This is like if Edd from Ed, Edd, N' Eddy made a movie.

I only got one trailer, it was one piece + some other anime trailer in one. Just music and clips.

When Godzilla was lighting up the entire Tokyo area and killing off the first PM yes there were a couple of moments with NGE movie music. ESP with the aftermath when Rengo was frustrated.

Also....What did you guys think about the main protag?

So sorry to hear that but I can assure you that the Showings Funimation has brought out. Alot of people are going to see it. Theatre was nearly packed when I went. No children either. Mostly anime fans. Not autistic ones either that spurg out.

Not at all.
It was from James Bond youtube.com/watch?v=BKCEiNk198E

Ya it was strange to say the least watching a trailer for a One Piece animated movie and "Your name" set to some generic as hell rock song with no sound from either movie in the trailer other than that rock music. Cringe levels were high.

>anime trailers

our theater just showed regular movie trailers.

camrip when

There was even one minor point where the actor of Segata Sanshiro was shoehorned into the movie.

Did you guys like the military action scenes?

The parts I wanted to cheer at but didnt were.

Full Godzilla shows up and they play the classic, classic theme.

The other part is they played this other theme, they NEVER used in any of the last 10 movies.

youtu.be/eYUj_SuVldc

I saw this tonight at King of Prussia and judging by appearances I know everyone in that crowd was from Cred Forums

>posting the super nintendo version

youtube.com/watch?v=vL_EjDaRFsw

Odd, most of the people at mine were all normal looking people in their mid to late 30's and early 40's, it was kind of strange really.

Angels

Saw one chubby 40 something year old guy come in with tight Godzilla tshirt and a cowboy hat (Im nowhere near the south) and he came in with his mom. I knew it was his mom because it was an elderly lady he called Ma.
Another 40 something year old with his wife behind me decided to make every possible noise he could with his mouth while he was shoveling popcorn in his mouth and audibly exhaling while doing it, snorting phlegm a bunch, or just snoring while completely awake the whole fucking movie.
Another kid infront of my would keep turning on his phone and scrolling though some gps? not pokemon go. I dont know why.

Theater was jam packed, people were sitting on the ground. I sat in the first row so I could put my feet up on the guard rail comfortably but some group of 5 had to come in late and couldnt find 5 seats in a row so they decided to sit on the floor right where I would hanged my feet.

BAGAN IN A GODZILLA MOVIE WHEN!?!
The creator that created Space Godzilla did Bagan right? Couldn't he be the next monster in the next film that TOHO could make? I sure hope so....

this one?
youtube.com/watch?v=72a7F1SF8Vk

>There was even one minor point where the actor of Segata Sanshiro was shoehorned into the movie.
when? I can't find any credits for him

I couldn't think of the theme name from the movie, I remember it from the SNES so I went there first.

This is very much a military focused movie, and that's their theme in the Godzilla movies. It was great for them to bring it back after all those movies where military tech aspect went into the background.

No Makeup-chan is my waifu. I claim her and nobody else can.

I had a great experience, I even listened to my Godzilla CD on the car rides to and fro

>closest theater to me is 2 minutes away

seeing it thursday :^)

I would've liked to see more of the carnage from the perspective of the civilians. I feel like it kinda got glossed over and was a bit too detached.
But I guess that was the intention?

>thinking you can become President when you clearly can't speak English well

The awkward girl, whats her name. She was my favorite

youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ru-wduZ70&list=PL_Bg39cb6VXImKhiTQEB6vUwfPg1vjGD9

This scene was pure fucking kino.

It's been so long since I've seen something so good in theaters. Chills the entire scene.

>wow my grandmother's country sure is strange
she said in broken english with the heaviest Japanese accent in the entire movie

>I even listened to my Godzilla CD
Your what?

That's the one, when I heard it I was like HOLY FUCK THEY BROUGHT IT BACK

You're 2months too late

I know user it's crazy, I still own physical media. It's 21 years old and I'm not getting rid of it.

He was a random in part of the civvie escape. Going up to the shrine in his gi

This girl is popular both here and Japan. Was not expecting this

No I mean, Godzilla CD? You mean that Blue Oyster Cult song or something else?

All the important Godzilla parts got leaked. The Jap girl who wanted to be president made the theater laugh. I liked the overall message that Japan is a big boy who can handle his own problems.

7/10

They didn't try to kill Godzilla when they had the chance because 2 people were in the way.

Retard baby Gojira was adorable

Everyone laughed at it at mine

Oh I see, sorry for the snarky comment. It's a Japanese best of Godzilla OST CD of tracks from 1984-1995

Why? It was a great scene.

There must be something about her character men find undoubtedly attractive, but what is it?

Thats fucking cool

Why would anyone laugh at that scene? It's great

I can't even explain it but I am deeply attracted to her

Attainability. She's just a "low-ranking " ,mundane girl.

Did you like 2014 Godzilla, Cred Forums?

I saw it when I was in Sapporo a couple months ago. There were no subtitles and just those couple lines in English so I only had a vague idea what was going on, but I still enjoyed it. Is the story/dialogue quality?

Wasn't a huge fan of the how he looked while young, but seriously that night attack was fucking crazy to see in IMAX.

Probably because you literally get what you see from her. She's always up front and doesn't hide shit from you (not even using makeup).

That explains why Japan hated the other, more confident and upbeat chick.

Asuka/Rei all over again

This form looks like it was inspired by pic related

Do you think the helicopters could have killed retard Godzilla if those old people didn't make the Prime Minister call off the attack?

Probably the eye bags and the whole somewhat disheveled look. People that are striking and endearing in some way usually end up being more attractive than unremarkable standard beauty

I honestly never knew why people liked that movie.

I love morays, so cute.

I liked it, own it on blu-ray and can't wait for the next one as I'm hoping it'll be even better. Not a perfect movie but it's a fun watch and unlike the 98 one its worthy of the title.

My theater didn't show any trailers, just showed a Funimation logo then straight into the movie.

I fucking saw that easter egg too. That cheeky bastard.

I liked their Godzilla design for what it was trying to do, the way he looked likes bear standing upright was a cool idea, but overall not really.

Yes

>tfw Anno had a miserable experience working with Toho and would probably not direct another one

Really? Why didn't you like it?
I thought it had a good first act, then sort of stayed mediocre from then on with a few memorable moments. Not great, but not terrible.

No, it was pretty shit.

So nigga fell in my theatre

From what others have said, EVERYBODY working with Toho has the same experience when they have to do Godzilla

she's cute and she frowns.

I like both 2014 and Shin on the same level.

I did, though I hate how dark the BluRay is.

Cant wait for this game for some fude is making becsuse he also is including the whole film with color correction

reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comments/54dqo2/godzilla_2014_the_gojira_cut_fan_edit_slated_for/

Its been delayed a couple days though.

>game
Fanedit

Ayyyy, I'll be releasing it in a day or two. ;)

I like this meme

Awesome. Can't wait to have a copy where I can actually see shit like in theaters.

It was great! I loved the scene he kicked the bridge into the sky. Not a perfect film and it dragged on at points especially after Godzilla destroyed Tokyo with his lasers and breath, but it had a lot of tension and comedy which worked well in its favor.

How plain she looks?
Maybe her mundaneness yet she is capable of being smarter then your average bureaucrat?Just look at her. Wouldn't you make sweet love to her? While she stares at you with those emotionless eyes?

So what was on his tail at the end? Human skeletons? Victims of the WWII bombings? Lost souls of Atlantis?

His children

stream where

But why do they look so human-like?

Anyone else wonder why he kept going back to Tokyo? My guess is that if there's a sequel they can explore that further.

I came not gonna lie user

see looks like Godzilla was gonna reproduce some evolved Godzilla mutants or some shit

nope

His next form. Smaller, Winged ones

One of the best films I have ever seen cinematically and as a life long Toho Godzilla fan purely a work of art

Wasnt it too cool off or something?

gave me chills

next evolution phase

My audience laughed at all the US jokes and the ramen noodles getting soggy me included
And we all clapped near the end

Also mentioned "eat a Snickers" when he was handed a water bottle because "you're not you when you're hungry"

That scientist who discovered him mutated with him to affect his DNA and create a new master race

He went back into the bay to cool off by why did he come back to Tokyo specifically?

muh nigga. USA Girl was definitely hot but i like the plainness and weird face of the Jap Scientist.

whats her name (the actress)

to evolve?
I guess it needed the human component for the tail creatures that show up at the end

mikako ichikawa
she's 38

>I honestly don't know how they'll handle it unless they pull an Aliens and make them easy to kill.

Could be, and the pressure would be on to find and kill all of them before they get a chance to hide and grow.

Goro Maki, genius

>Shin Shin Gojira
>translates to Mind and Body Gojira
>Attacks people telepathically while also destroying the city
>Destroys both mentally and physically
user, i think you may be onto something

Didn't they joke about that at one point that his next evolution would be to grow wings so he can fly around the world reproducing himself all over the place?

Closest theatre was 10 minutes away.

The main protag did really great on his acting.

We Saya now?

>closest theater is a seven day pilgrimage

Yasuda best boy

It's worth it. Bring your friends. Turn it into a week-long vacation

>closest theater is 5k miles away

Hey so uh.....
Japan's (first sighting of Godzilla) whole plan of evacuating everyone while the big thing hit land.
They were pretty incompetent. Why is it that the nerds rise up from said incompetance and the previous suck so much?

Also....How come they couldn't come up with the freeze rays? I mean theres fucking Aqua Ducts underwater roadways? Surely technology was to a point where they developed a way to externally freeze Gojira instead of feeding him freezy toothpaste

It was a transformative moment for me.

I don't think I'll ever see cinema the same way again after that.

>“Japan lost the war to the Americans,” he explains, seeming interested in his own words for the first time during our interview. “Since that time, the education we received is not one that creates adults. Even for us, people in their 40s, and for the generation older than me, in their 50s and 60s, there’s no reasonable model of what an adult should be like.” The theory that Japan’s defeat stripped the country of its independence and led to the creation of a nation of permanent children, weaklings forced to live under the protection of the American Big Daddy, is widely shared by artists and intellectuals in Japan. It is also a staple of popular cartoons, many of which feature a well-meaning government that turns out to be a facade concealing sinister and more powerful forces.

Outcasts rise up because they don't follow the honorific titles and hierarchies.

Guess freeze rays are too scifi for this universe.

I did like that we got some mecha action through the trucks.

Fucking GETS I love this thread already
*got a free Ticket for my father. At the last minute he flaked and we had a free ticket that no one used.*
I am so mad. Only me and my older brother went to see it.

everyone was quiet

some chuckles when that one character went crazy

Just got back home from seeing this. One of the top 3 Godzilla movies for me. I liked the Evangelion shots that showed up a few times. The ending was creepy as fuck.

>Anno pauses for a moment, and gives a dark-browed stare out the window. “I don’t see any adults here in Japan,” he says, with a shrug. “The fact that you see salarymen reading manga and pornography on the trains and being unafraid, unashamed or anything, is something you wouldn’t have seen 30 years ago, with people who grew up under a different system of government. They would have been far too embarrassed to open a book of cartoons or dirty pictures on a train. But that’s what we have now in Japan. We are a country of children.”

Can we talk about how hamfisted it was to

put the nagasaki and hiroshima stills in?

See, I liked that, but I'm also a militaryfag and I like seeing the references.

Ybor? Mine got the snickers reaction

that old huh? I still like her.

he seems like a very broken self hating loner. I guy with hobbies but he never ignored the comments that its for kids, which ironically makes him far more childish than the guy who simply doesn't give a shit and reads cartoons for fun.

He's right, tho.
He just neglects to mention that he's made a living creating childrens' cartoons.

I forgot how much of a pretentious faggot who hates his target audience this guy was.

Probably because I don't follow his work, I tried Evangelon and thought it was stupid and edgy.

japan got cucked by america and never recovered

more news at 11

Who?

I don't entirely get his out rage over it. They followed the path they chose as a nation and ended up in the same place Germany did except in Germany's case they had "you must feel bad about the holocaust" shoved down their throats for decades, what was Japan's excuse? Sure they had major restrictions placed on their military but that shouldn't have broken them as a nation and yet here we are with only 11% of the Japanese willing to fight for their nations aka one of the lowest rates in the entire world.

Gonna need some sauce there, reverse image searching ain't giving the results

Good film, had a great time watching it. Loved how obvious it was that Anno directed this.

That's what all Alamo shows are like. They have a special made pre-show for every movie they run. Don't Breathe had a similar one with old time movies all involving blind people, Girl on the Train had crazy stunts with Ozzy blaring in the background, etc.

WHERE'S THE CAM RIP FUCK

Theater was sold out all day, so I got cucked

Damn son. Hopefully a rerun gets announced since it sounds like it was sold out everywhere

>Gozilla was origami all along

BRAVO JAPAN

My theater was like 60% full.

>tfw Alamo 5 minutes away

Sold out and the crowd was pretty good. Knowledgeable fans and plenty of laughs/cheering. They raffled some prizes before the showing which was cool.

It was merely ok.

Dude looked fucking stupid in his first form, as we all know already because of the stills and camrips.
Then the walking godzilla was like a cardboard cutout. The lightshow was neat, and the whole air of the film was pretty nice. But a man in a suit would've been better than the solid black brick sliding across the screen.

>Sure they had major restrictions placed on their military but that shouldn't have broken them as a nation

They were prostate at the feet of a greater power who had just demonstrated their capacity to obliterate the country. America LITERALLY wrote Japan's post-war constitution and have occupied the country since the war to this day.

The spirit of the nation was broken, their God Emperor renounced his divinity, and the country was reduced to something of a vassal.

Godzilla spilling his spaghetti hard.

i havent heard of this pls explain

How do I get it?

Amazing. First form is best form.

Japan had Nanking and the fact the US beat them to an unconditional surrender. They got cucked hard for try to fuck with the big boys

They were talking about how he could possibly multiply. This just shows how. It's not deep.

So in a sequel what monster do you wanna see Gojira fight?
Hard mode: no Mecha or Ghidorah or Mothra

I felt like Anno could have made that work, but it really didn't.

Personally a new monster.
Godzilla got a new form so I think he should fight a new beast

Saw it earlier tonight in Minneapolis and really enjoyed it. I liked the satire of the bureaucracy of the government and the constant switching of rooms and names of the task forces was genuinely funny.
His first appearance wiggling around in the street coming right at the camera was actually creepy and worked well.
By the time he reaches Tokyo he really felt like an unstoppable force. Like something that maybe couldn't be stopped even with the atomic bomb. The movie did a good job of setting up the scope of the threat he posed to the entire world and how nations would react.
The crowd I saw it with was kind of shit. There were a few hipster idiots who had to make stupid comments because they crave attention. There was also an annoying weeb girl saying things for attention too to show how into Japanese culture she is. "Oh! That's Miyazaki-san. Look do you see, Miyazaki-san." "Oh! Rice balls!" twat

A new monster, or maybe step out of the showa comfort zone and bring in some monsters that originated in Heisei and Millenium.

I hope if they went with a new monster that it'd be more creative than the monster from 2014. I want something along the lines of Destroyah or Biollante again.

Just got back from the theater and it was every bit as funny, dramatic, and meaningful as I hoped it would be. Another masterpiece from the master, Anno.

my boy hedorah

>Started slow, had some really dull moments when it go way into government bureaucracy at work

I liked these scenes. I've been thinking about how government isn't really portrayed in many anime/movies from Japan. This worked for me on that level and was entertaining and interesting.

Also I understand it's a completely different team that would create it than the murricans who made 2014. I just don't want to feel like the monster is as generic as the mutos.

I want something that actually evolves from either the result of some catastrophic destruction caused by Shin Godzilla or the humans created the new monster trying to stop shin godzilla

Hedorah or Biollante either which would work with by having Godzilla's new origin.

Godzilla? Don't you mean lilith?

Godzilla is first impact

Saw this motherfucker in line for Godzilla at the theater

Said hi, seemed nice

And yet they weren't left humiliated, with crippling debt, and parts of the nation carved up and taken away like Germany after world war 1 or carved in two and forced to self flagellate for 60 years like German was after the second world war. Hell for that matter Japan was rebuilt by the US after the war coming back as a huge economic power yet still their spirits seem more broken than even Germany's after all this time.

that's an Anno thing. Take it or leave it.

I loved it, I did not expect Cronehbergian body-horror.

Why not anguirus? When is the last time he was even relevant in a godzilla movie?

>tfw I really want to see it but I live in Brazil

Did he get popcorn or dots

What was his endgame?

jon lajoie?

Final Wars.

Who is this? That pretentious faggot from Community

Why didn't you punch his fucking teeth in, faggot?

Walk

>vestigial spines/exposed bone? along his brow
neat

They never said he was dead. He basically became a statue in the middle of the city

I predict the next movie "they have kept him chilled for years but their supplies run out and he revives"

He is lost, no one knows.

I was in an indie theater and it showed fantastic beasts, dr. strange, new star wars and king kong trailers. it actually pumped me up, made the viewing experience more epic.

Is a sequel happening?

Most likely.

I'm quite certain it was a success in Japan and now in the States

Why didn't you ask him about Zod's snapped neck?

Also went to Alamo. Best theater by far. The shake they had was pretty damn good. Burger wasn't bad either, although I wasn't fat enough to put that monster down.

What's a kilometer mile?

>off last three days
>the only three days Shin Godzilla was playing tonight and the next three days
>if I went to the theater I'd wouldn't be getting home til tomorrow and have to wake up at 5 in the morning tomorrow

Why couldn't the three days Godzilla was showing be on the three days I had off?

The film made $75 million in Japan. To put into perspective Godzilla 2014 made about $30 million and Final wars (which made about the average for the Millenium films) made $10 million. An Anime movie with Magical Madoka's writer comes out next year and I'm sure a sequel to this mega-blockbuster is all but guaranteed

5k as in 5000

It was okay. I place it alongside Pacific Rim as being an enjoyable enough flick which squandered its potential.

Seriously though, killing off Cranston for his son was the worst mistake of the movie. The movie would have been much truer to its roots if Cranston's wife and son were killed at the beginning of the film, leaving him with a vendetta against the MUTOs and kaiju in general.
That way, we could have gotten some back-and-forth between Watanabe and him in labs and command rooms, arguing over the morality of killing Godzilla or not. Might have made for some effective America - Japanese parallels.
Hell, if American audiences really wanted the military aspect front and centre, you could have still spared Cranston's kid and have him act through scenes on the front lines. But the scientific and ethical component would have made for a much more interesting film.

I'm gonna be that guy but...

It would have been a lot better if they made a suit.
I know they tried, and it didnt work, so I understand, but man... I really wish they coulda made it work

No it's fine the way it is.

Maybe next film. Higuchi will probably solo direct it and use suits like in his Titan movies.

That's what I said!

Really a perfect movie.

Its political message was perfect, no matter what your ideology is.

>And yet they weren't left humiliated, with crippling debt, and parts of the nation carved up and taken away like Germany after world war 1

You're wrong about every point.

The country could hardly have been more humiliated. They were forced into an unconditional surrender. Their society which had been fed a steady diet of propaganda that proclaimed Japanese people & Japanese virtues as superior to the world were turned on their head. Their imperial government dismantled and had an entirely NEW government drawn up for them by an occupying power. Their mainland territory was forfeit. The country was forced to pay royalties to the US while a foreigner (MacArthur) ran the country through Martial Law for years after war's end.

And the way that hundreds of thousands were simply vaporized seemingly effortlessly by the Atomic Bombs was traumatizing to the country. They were left on their knees, dependent on a foreign power & a foreign people for their very existence. Their government was no longer their own, but foisted on them by a people who had the power to erase them from the face of the earth at any moment.

The crawling form I said that because of the bad cgi but the final form was fine

The sound effects was really got underneath my skin
Every time a subways car screeched or a helicopter shot ammo you could hear the sound just turn down 8 notches

I got mixed things from the political view

Was there a 1 specific view? What was it

I dont think so. They way they animated it shows they were obviously trying to recreate the feel of a suit. Which they did well, but with the disconnect your brain naturally feels from cgi since it's not actually tangible like a suit/puppet would be.

Not to mention a literal epidemic of American soldiers knocking up Japanese women and fucking off back home.

yea the audio was what got me, if they ever got the sound designer from lets say, pacific rim on this it would have been perfect

It was basically saying that bureaucracies are a huge flaw of western style democracies and that we shouldn't have politicians whose only concern was to get elected again.

A truly good democracy has people who are motivated to solve problems and not pass the buck.

I couldn't root for it because it seemed too much of a force of nature, with the help of mankind's folly, to be able to anthropomorphize it's being and intentions.

Who knew making a Satirical political drama with STRONG elements of horror would work for a Godzilla film

>that picture
Fucking lol

>He doesn't like JDAMs

Usually yes but not in this one, this is one of the only of these movies where I really felt for the humans especially the SDF dudes

Anno did.

That's what's truly genius about it.

He took the most weirdest, absurdest ideas for a Godzilla film, and he made it probably more Godzilla than many others could hope for.

We have a Godzilla move where he is a tadpole, and ends up having mini-mes burst from his tail.

This would've been a disaster if it weren't for Anno's artistic integrity and skill as a creator.

Did he save live action?

Not sure which is worse between that and all the raping and killing of German women the soviets did. Sounds like both nations got cucked hard by the allied powers. I can see now why both ended up as they have.

I went to a local Alamo Drafthouse, don't mean to shill but they did play this. A lot of fatty neck beards, like myself, but everyone was fairly respectful.
There were some dudes laughing at the humor in the initial Japanese dialog before the rest of us could pick it up from the subs, but whatevs, they worked for it.

Pacing was fucked. Did not need the 30 minute info dump on them working to freeze him.

you know what they did to china and korea, right?

Yeah, the 80 minutes was 5/5 and the last 30 were 2.5/5

you ever hear of comfort women?

The sound effects were ripped from the older movies. It's a weird choice, but seeing as there's a lot of call backs in the movie I can understand why they were that way.

dude he's like so advanced that he can only be mapped out with the traditional japanese artform of origami

My impression is that he went on land to "hunt" - aka consume more people. He had absorbed enough species' DNA material in the ocean that he had no other choice but to roam on land to find something better. And humans were the most populated of the lot, Tokyo specifically.

Also release his offspring, which were land-based human hybrids.

Fuck, I bet the 2014 Godzilla made this guy's bile rise.

Why did all the US actors suck?

I'm well aware of the Japanese war crimes of WW2 and to my knowledge Japan doesn't acknowledge all of them. Even if they have started to do so in later years notably the comfort women of which they've paid reparations for.

Because for a japanese audience they don't need to be good. Plus their options are probably limited.

>pull an Aliens and make them easy to kill
Fuck off. The xenomorph was never portrayed as indestructable, just lethal. Obviously people with weapons will be able to kill multiple aliens when unarmed people couldn't even kill one

The night scene was amazing and probably the best thing I've seen from a film in a while. The energy it had was pretty crazy. I think the ending could have used something more, but I think it acts in a balancing way. Those lasers didn't translate as well during day compared to night. I think the designs are a great unorthodox departure, and need anno back for the sequel which better go full batshit. I love the feeling this movie has around it.

For a good while I thought the scientist had somehow turned himself into goji by suicide in order to ravage Japan as payback.

My audience was surprisingly receptive to the humor and Japanese references, it was sold out(boston). Applause for toho logo and end.

The scene with all the lasers and Who will know playing in the background was pure cinematic kino

The part where they showed Hiroshima pictures was weird, I will say that.

The ending should have taken place at night. The night footage was so much more impressive.

The soundtrack was great, Anno may have overused the Decisive Battle song a bit too many times but I like what they did. The atomic breath scene was the best of the movie. I thought Anno was too excessive with the titles appearing for every division but that's Anno for you.

wait, you in st louis?

I liked it a lot. My friend's watching it tomorrow and it's his first Godzilla movie. I hope he likes it.

Yeah, I think he should have stuck with 3 uses of Decisive Battle. Around the 4th time I was thinking "ok cool but for real", even Eva didn't use the song as frequently within a similar timespan.

that was a pretty interesting plot point. It's scales were not as evolved as the later godzilla, if there had been an attack it could have changed the whole direction of the story, but that's probably the point

This is a good theme in this movie. Talked to my dad about this and he said, "Well, they shouldn't have attacked us in the first place."

Who were the directors?

I thought it was neat how it progressively added more instrumentals to it with each rendition

best question of thread

Seconding this, IMDB isn't helping

Ya think they'll do a Half in the Bag of it?