When does this series get good, or funny? I'm half-way into the second episode, and the show has merits...

When does this series get good, or funny? I'm half-way into the second episode, and the show has merits, but I'm not interested in watching derivative and predictable plots, weak humor, and obvious parodies of fairly recent movies.

Seems like an adult version of Adventure Time, which isn't a good thing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WTWdP5DMdsM
youtu.be/szzVlQ653as
youtu.be/hgpSWm7bOM4
youtu.be/9aUowoykENE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love Rick and Morty and adventure time

If you don't like them then you probably shouldn't watch them

Is episode 2 the Mr. Meeseeks episode? It was either that one or the Anatomy Park episode that got me hooked.

/Thread

Literally

Skip right to episode 6 OP, it's the POTION one, definitely the high point of the show IMO

youtube.com/watch?v=WTWdP5DMdsM

Okay, but I was wondering if this is the entire show. This is it: Rick does something wacky and stupid, usually a lazy parody of a film in which they go somewhere fantastic, and then there's a side plot involving the family.

Haven't changed my opinion, I just got to the anatomy episode, I wish I could have seen the reaction to a literal, black-on-white cuckcolding relationship, which just can't be a coincidence
considering how prevalent that meme is.

Thanks.

What episode is this?

pretty much the whole show, yes. I really do think the show is hit or miss, and sometimes it's quite creative, sometimes it's meh.

If you didn't like the first episode though, you should pass on it though. Regardless of how people feel about the first episode, that style is when the show is basically at its best

>Cred Forums not intellectual enough to "get" rick and morty

I know, it's sad as fuck.

Is that something you would like to defend, or are you just memeing?

Okay, thanks.

You don't get how anyone would find the high concept sci fi stuff fascinating? You're dumber than I thought.

gotta disagree, the first 3 episodes were extremly underwhelming in my opinion. Watched the first two after the release because friends were telling me how great the show is, didnt like it. Watched the 4. Episode (Shaymaladingdongaliens) a year later, and loved the show since.

>OMFG TV, like how you seen how stupid this show is?
>I just don't get it, you know? It's so fucking reddit.
>Dan Harmon is so fat. What a fatty. amirite anons?
>I just don't GET it, it's not funny. You must be reddit.
>HAHA what do you LIKE RICK AND MORTY? HA, don't you know how reddit you are?
>Psh, I bet you watch Adventure Time.
>I don't get Adventure Time.
>It's too reddit for me.
>It's like intro to philosophy or some shit. It tries to be smart, why does it try to be smart? It shoulsn't be smart. It's not smart at all. it's reddit smart.
>Did I mention that I just don't get why this is funny?
>None of this is funny.
>lol, atheists love it. figures.
>I should tell everyone about this.
>like I just don't GET it, you know?
>I don't know why anyone watches this. It's bad. It's reddit.
>I just wanted to make this thread to tell everyone I don't get it.
>It's bad.
>Reddit.

I don't think that's a question of intelligence, or how I was even supposed to know you were referring to that. It's a fucking shame that this show is going on while Futurama is cancelled, even when it wasn't at its best, but it's probably much, much cheaper to make.

"high concept sci fi"

don't bother with season 2, but the first season really isn't bad

OP's a fag, but you shouldn't have made this post.

Thanks for the input.

It is literally science fiction using quantum theory as its basis retard spongeposter.

I guess I should applaud you for writing that, as I far as I tell, but it's not accurate. I didn't mention reddit, didn't attack the creator, didn't make fun of people who like it. I even said it has merits. I did compare it to Adventure Time, though.

Mostly I'm referencing every Rick and Morty thread of the last fucking six months. It has always devolved into those same points about reddit, Adventure Time or whatever.

It wasn't meant to reference your entire post, just the trend of shitty Rick and Morty posts that are a waste of time on this thread.

>science fiction using quantum theory
And? I've watched little of the show, but I doubt it goes significantly into that, and plenty of shows have used that concept, because it's basically an excuse to create any scenario you want and leave it any time you want.

*waste of time on this board

I meant.

Don't break your arm jerking yourself off faggot

>Adventure Time
Well, it's probably true, and it's just something that occurred to me, even though I haven't even watched a single whole episode of Adventure Time, lel.

>I doubt it goes significantly into that
>I haven't watched it
>I doubt
>here's my opinion on this thing I don't know
Worthless post

>I've watched little of the show, but I doubt it goes significantly into that
Then maybe you should watch the show?

I said that because that would seem like a bad idea for a comedy show. Can you name any episodes where it does this?

Yeah, the pilot pretty much spells out how the majority of the other episodes are going to be.

It feels like it would belong on network TV more than basic cable, unless the whole point was for Adult Swim to have an original animated family-style sitcom it could call its own.

>I said that because that would seem like a bad idea for a comedy show.
B-But you've seen Futurama?

I maybe I shouldn't, because I don't like it? I said I doubt it because I haven't watched it. It sounded more like a bullshit rationalization to make this show look smarter than it is, considering plenty of shows have used that idea.

But it's not and you look like a pretentious fuck right now.

It's a smart show because it is a smart...you'd know that if you watched it.

Why even waste your time with giving us your non-opinion?

What he is saying is they often use philosophical conflicts that are impossible to demonstrate in non-fiction writing, similar to Orson Scott Card's writing an particularly his short stories. It's using fiction to illustrate abstract truth.

But You either A) knew what he was implying and dogged on him because your a lazy harpy.

Or B) have the reasoning skills of a pineapple.

So fuck off.

Hm, I'm not sure if I know which episode you're talking about. Was it the one where they went to a parallel universe, or the one where time kept switching back and force, (which I thought was quite weak)? If so, nobody should feel smarter because of such weak reference to quantum mechanics, because it was clearly just a springboard for wacky shit, which is what I would assume would be the way this should uses it, but obviously, I'm speculating. I think the fist episode did reference or feature parallel universes, and not particular in some intelligent way that somebody could be stupid not to get it.

>It's a smart show because it is a smart...you'd know that if you watched it.
No, not really? I'd put it way below Bojack and Futruama in "smartness." Maybe I haven't watched enough of it.

user, a show isn't stupid just because you compare it to smarter shows...

Again, your opinion is worthless since you haven't even seen enough of the show, by your own words.

>the one where they went into a parallel universe
>the one
Don't discuss shows you don't watch, what's your endgame here?

Could you name an episode you found particularly "smart"?

So does does the show's reference to parallel universes get much smarter?

nailed it

The show's use of parallel realities gets really intertwined with the narrative and it's built throughout the seasons.

> use philosophical conflicts that are impossible to demonstrate in non-fiction writing
Like when?

This show is not predictable.

S01E02 is when that episodic, short story style narrative style an delivery begins. Have you seen the show?

I've seen the first three episodes.

If you didn't like the first episode you won't like it. Leave this thread OP.

Favorite character? Punished Morty for me

Same, the way they introduce him in that episode was great, hopefully they do something else with him.

So E02 is basically a philosophical thought exercise given form that would be difficult to represent in non-fiction media. This is a common tool of science fiction, to express moral, philosophical, ethical, spiritual and intellectual concepts we don't necessarily interact with.

Sure you might argue it's not particularly deep in the exploration, but the recognition and "foot note" delivery of the message is certainly better than another 20 minutes of fucking hacks from California being forced to write southern Massachusetts specific Seth Mcfarlene jokes.

Wtf are you talking about? It was a parody of Inception and Friday the 13th, including a derivative plot about making animals smarter and then them eventually having aspirations to conquer the world. I guess if you use Seth Mcfarlene as a barometer, anything can seem good or smart.

So you missed the entire commentary yet call it derivative

Which was what? They did say (rightly) Inception was confusing and I guess they showed through the parody of it and literally said it. What did exactly did I miss?

>hurrr durrr reddit

My work is done

Jesus christ.

Not an argument. I wouldn't even call it pretentious. They outright said several times that Inception was stupid and the rest of the episode, (aside from the sideplot), was about that. There's nothing deep to it. You even compared it to Seth MacFarlane to make it look smart, and I consider this a too low bar to meet.

You are incapable of acknowledging abstract philosophical concepts so clearly you will not infer any meaning from the episodes. This is not an insult it's just your brains wiring, it's a blind spot, in the same way I suck at doing women tasks, you are bad at abstract conceptualizing, it's just an observation as to why you will not ever enjoy the show.

>science fiction using quantum theory as its basis
Ask me how I know you've never taken a qm course

>being this much of a pretentious asshat
Good job

I'm going to act like I'm not even being baited, even though I'm pretty sure I am. You didn't even say what that concept was, you jut said it was "a philosophical thought exercise given form that would be difficult to represent in non-fiction media," without even saying what that was, or why this was the case. Even that plot was derivative, (even if arguably much better), from the South Park parody that did it when this movie was fresh in people's minds, even going so far as to ALSO parody Friday the 13. Fuck, I didn't even realize that until now. You aren't raising my opinion of this show, you're actually lowering it.

>It is literally science fiction using quantum theory
Pointing this out and thinking it makes the show "smarter" is certainly more pretentious.

OP or whoever needs to stop posting. You're fucking dense.

>In it's most reductive form it would be a story of god's creation usurping him.
And how is it any better than the episode of Fairly Odd Parents when Timmy gives cockroaches the ability to speak, yet they end up starting a civilization and try to take over the world? Look over your posts and tell me if you ever made a substantive point.

You are so fucking dense.

In its most reductive form it would be a story of gods creation usurping him.

If I thought you could manage a multi-sentence discussion I'd offer your something more substantive but you've previously demonstrated your lack of value.

How, exactly?

....That show is sci-fi too? what's your point?

Yeah its a fucking joke holy shit

*rolls eyes*

Let's just say it's telling that you barely missed getting dubs

Barely? It's just that it's basically a very similar premise, and has been done in other shows as well, and I don't think particularly well here. I didn't find the jokes witty, it almost completely skips how life would be different when ruled under dogs, and the ending is rushed and contrived.

If you go into this show expecting some profound wisdom or discovery that only "intelligent" people would get, then you should probably kys.

Seriously, just watch it for it's humor. Don't expect to extract significant meaning from it. It's something to watch when you want to shut off your brain and laugh.

That's not an argument. If I'm so dense, consider it a simple task to BTFO me and explain where I've gone wrong and what prevents me from seeing something so obvious to you.

>Seriously, just watch it for it's humor.
I didn't expect anything more, and people who actually expect more and find it there are the ones who should kill themselves because this show clearly lacks any depth, (which I think is a good thing because it ruined Bojack), but I don't find it that funny.

And OP doesn't care for the humor. Yet here he is still shitposting

I'm still watching the show and it's getting a little better.

>You: Timmy gives cockroaches the ability to speak, yet they end up starting a civilization and try to take over the world?
>Me: ....That show is sci-fi too? what's your point?
>Barely?

Did you read your own description of the episode?

Doesn't matter, I won't exert energy on this any further.

No, you're not watching shit, you're shitposting and not paying attention

It would be ridiculous to call the entire show sci-fi merely because of that one segment.

My point wasn't so much that it was done before, but it's incredibly predictable.

I highly doubt it was intended to have 'depth'. The type of people who seem or manage to find deeper meanings in things like this are highly likely to be the same type of people who manage to find meaning from a sentence in a book and extrapolate it to mean something it's not.

It's like when I was in HS lit.

>the Windows was tinted a peculiar shade of green
>ok class, now let's extract the meaning from this. Why did the author specifically choose green?
>idunno, maybe because HE FELT LIKE USING GREEN?

Paying attention to what? Fuck, even people who like this show don't say it's that deep.

I assume you're watching them in order. If you don't (or didn't) like Rick Potion #9 then you should probably just not watch anymore.

From a comic con I believe, not a real episode, but it's based on actual transcript from a Georgia courtroom.

Take that opinion of yours and shove it waaaaaaaay up your butthole, morty

I haven't watched that yet.

>I highly doubt it was intended to have 'depth'.
I would agree, but people are trying to defend this type of show because of it's sci-fi when the only reason to watch shows like these is if you find them entertaining, not how thought-provoking they are.

>the Windows was tinted a peculiar shade of green
What book?

futurama should stay dead.

what show are you talking about?

No? It's better written and animated than Rick and Morty, that's for sure, even at its nadir.

Rick and Morty.

You are just not capable of analysis and that scares you, you see people attribute meaning to something your simple mind can't quite puzzle out so its easier to think of those people as stupid; that the content is two dimensional and shallow. It's all very ironic. Always assume there is something more than what's at the surface, once you actually start looking for depth, and metaphor, and allegory, and double meaning, and allusion you'll find it a lot more often. even in shows like Rick and Morty where this is somewhat hamfisted, it doesn't discredit it, it's certainly there. You've just heard retards talk about the shows depth, so you expected something that a cartoon simply can't be, and you being you (an even bigger retard than those you look down upon) were disappointed because you couldn't even find their simple observations.

Holy shit, don't you have some BvS thread to shitpost in?

I literally just made that up, but I had to do that kind of crap all through HS.

Were there some significant lines? Sure, but the vast majority of them were more than likely placed by the author simply because it sounded good.

>Cred Forums likes this plebbit shit now

oh lawd

I'm just saying, the last run was decent with a few gems but the more you push something to stay alive the more stale it'll get. let it die good and be remembered that way.

Dude, it's a fucking cartoon television show.

I don't waste my energy and time analyzing a fucking cartoon TV show. I reserver that for actual literature or film worth a damn. You act like I'm incapable of analyzing and that I've never done it ever. Way to fucking assume you colossal faggot

Get the fuck out. You literally sound like you're from reddit. Probably imgur too.

Alright this question is for anyone. I've only seen Season 1 and the first episode of season 2. What's with this supposed overarching, hidden plot/narrative that the creators are hiding? Are they just fucking with people?

I have no reverence to these shows except for how good they are. Simpsons should be cancelled because it's shit and so much worse than it used to be, and you can barely call it a good series when a majority of the episodes are bad at this point. Family Guy should be cancelled because it's bad and it was always bad. The resurrected Futurama still had some great episodes, like The Late Philip J. Fry, A Clockwork Origin, The Silence of the Clamps, and others, and just some good episodes. The writing could be better, but the animation was fantastic, which might have been a bad trade off. The point is, so many stories could still be told in that world and I think it was good enough to keep running.

Except that's exactly my point. When you're incapable of analyzing a simple cartoon where it's all right there in front of you and you don't have to try, it's very telling about you as a person. And if you don't want to put in the 'effort' (lol) to look at Rick and Morty with a perspective that's not "Reddit" then I don't give a shit or am inclined to believe anything you have to say about your ability for analysis.

Honestly? Only once the second season started and my friend made me watch it did it become up to par. Maybe I've just gotten used to it more or maybe the plots did become better than just derivative parodies.

Well said hear hear!

Keep kicking these retarded dogs when they are down, just like feral animals- pain is the only path towards knowledge.

Ok m8. Whatever help to inflate your ego.

You really got me man.

>I don't waste my energy and time analyzing a fucking cartoon TV show.

The fact that it would take you time and energy to understand the metaphors is far more telling than your fervent backpedaling.

It's a good thing that trolls like you can't learn to stop while you're ahead. Otherwise, you'll say something that makes it painfully obvious that you were baiting the whole time.

When you reach Squanchy, it's ultimate Squanchkino from there on out.

>if you find depth in this cartoon you're trolling
Desperate.

I didn't say that. You could also be a pretentious idiot, but you're clearly just baiting.

>something that makes it painfully obvious
You mean like picking a goofy name and wasting a post with half a dozen baseless ad hominem insults?

If that's the conclusion you have arrived at after a sequitur perusal of our discourse I feel nothing but pity for you.

I hope one day you can understand there is a layered nature to cognitive awareness. You are a personality type incapable of gestalt, abstract conceptualizing.

Do yourself a favor, look up 16 personalities.

>if you find depth in this cartoon you're either trolling or pretending
Desperate as fuck.

>You mean like picking a goofy name
>wasting a post with half a dozen baseless ad hominem insults?
Not sure what you're talking about, but is that not supposed to be hypocritical because that only had one? That doesn't even make sense. Are you suggesting I'm baiting because of that?

Does Rick still belch? I cant get enough of that.

Do they still improv and its awful like watching someone crash their car in slow motion while enjoying their own farts? Love that!!!!

Tell me, are you really winning if you have to write more than me?

I said the exact opposite of that. Can't you fucking read?

>I was only pretending to be retarded
>I write less about a subject I know nothing about therefore I win
Pathetic

Never said I was pretending, and that doesn't refute my point.

Yes amd yes.

I didn't say anything baseless, taking silly names rather than just going with the standard one is a clear sign of an attention seeking troll and confirms my position that you were describing yourself when talking about painfully obvious trolls.

He thinks he's responding to one person, he doesn't realize there' at least 3 of us.

It' hilarious, he's trying to denigrate the intellectual integrity of a cartoon while simultaneously misunderstanding the zeitgeist and use of this site entirely.

Again, typing too much. It is baseless to say I made ad hominem attacks, at least nothing is worse than attacking my name.

youtu.be/szzVlQ653as

youtu.be/hgpSWm7bOM4

youtu.be/9aUowoykENE

Some good clips desu

see
You didn't address a single point of the user to which you replied, it was all troll this and bait that.

There's literally an entire episode based on Schrödinger's cats where they're trapped in a quantum uncertainty with multiple alternate realities stemming from the uncertainty.

Meant to reply to

Still not sure what you're replying to.

At no point, was the claim, "a philosophical thought exercise given form that would be difficult to represent in non-fiction media," substantiated, so there's no point to address.

No your argument is that you are too lazy to recall the basic literature and film referenced by a simple cartoon, so you don't like it because it takes to much energy for you to understand.

kek, I literally never said that. I even pointed out which movie was being referenced in the second episode, and which show it was being derivative of.

I don't waste my energy and time analyzing a shitposter who chooses to use a goofy name.

Having improv as a basis for a script in episode 8, season 1, was a pretty stupid idea. The scenarios aren't any wackier than they were in Futurama, and it's much worse because the writers are not only less talented, but are putting less effort. It might be "fun" to just make up material on the spot on the show instead of the usual painstaking process of coming up with material, but it doesn't make good television, and the animators have to work just as hard for material that was made in seconds, so you're shortchanging them as much as the audience.

>it's a "normalfag skips an episode or season" episode

Are you talking about that cable box episode? Because that was so unfunny that it sapped away any chance that I could make a funny analogy here.

I want everyone involved to get a free helicopter ride.

Yes.

About the same time your anti-depressesants wear off.

How exactly is Rick and Morty philosophical?

I don't get it. Do people on anti-depressants find things less funny, or maybe I'm supposed to feel more from episodes, and I can't because I'm on anti-depressants? I realize that if you explain the joke, it's no longer funny, but I'm genuinely interested in what you meant.

>mfw that action movie with the five minute long title
>mfw that family guy esque infomercial
>mfw NOTHING AT ALL WAS FUNNY
>mfw they wasted a concept with literally unlimited potential

Its not a joke.

You asked "when will this be funny".

People on anti-depressants are essentially "numbed", they cant feel strong emotions, when on their medication.

If you cant feel, then dont watch toilet humour.

I think the ending was mildly clever, if not properly set up, but the writing was very clearly sub-par. They should have watched the television snippets from Futurma, (since it's a very similar concept), and made sure it was on that level, instead of animating improvised material that is almost guaranteed to suck.

All the situations arise from well documented philosophical dilemmas and thought experiments.

Well, it's somewhat of a joke, since you really couldn't assume I'm on anti-depressants, (btw, I'm not), just because I don't find this funny.

Nightmare on Elm Street... not Friday the 13th.

And Lawnmower Man minus the cyber space, I guess. (The episode is titled "Lawnmower Dog")

Okay, I'll bite. How was the Inception episode based on a philosophical dilemma? Seems like it was just a parody of Inception, one very similar to the South Park one, even featuring Freddy Kuger and outright saying that it was confusing, though South Park was slightly more subtle.

It was an insult actually.

>Nightmare on Elm Street... not Friday the 13th.
Oh. My bad. Haven't seen either.

I don't think there was anything special or original about that plot. It was very predictable as soon as Morty's dad asked Rick if he could make the dog smarter. I was surprised when the dogs took over, but that was resolved very hastily and haphazardly.

Because you were calling me numb? That makes some sense, but then you called this toiler humor, and you say I'm numb to that, it's hardly insulting.

Basic Freudian psychology stuff.
Inception was based on philosophical dilemmas, too.
How much is a person's decision making is their own, how much is outside influence they don't even rationally understand, and how much can perspective be manipulated?

Okay, but anything philosophical about that plot would be found in the movie, treated much more successfully, which makes sense because that's a significant theme of that movie. If anything, they were parodying that element of the film.

>parodying
I think you mean satirizing, but maybe you should just leave all that heavy thinking for the people who recognized it was based on philosophy concepts in the first place.

When the dog screams "We are not them!" to his accountant for Morty's sake, I popped a stiffy.

>satirizing
Perhaps better.

>but maybe you should just leave all that heavy thinking for the people who recognized it was based on philosophy concepts in the first place.
user, don't be an ass. You didn't prove your point. I already said it was a parody, meaning I recognized it was imitating Inception. The philosophical aspects of it are still all contained in the original work. The satire is still just pointing out how silly Inception is. It doesn't go deeper than that.

Also, whether "satire" is more appropriate is questionable, since it doesn't try to improve humanity or institutions.

You also completely overlooked the ethical philosophies of animal cognition implied with the dog and slaver role reversal and dilemmas that have arisen from inbreeding defective dogs to point of retardation and constant physical pain.

>All the situations arise from well documented philosophical dilemmas and thought experiments.
It's not that I overlooked it, it's just that I was attacking any philosophical basis to the Inception parody, which I think now is the more appropriate word because there was no important message for social or political change which is necessary for a satire.

As for such "ethical philosophies," I thought it was a fairly tired trope.

> dilemmas that have arisen from inbreeding defective dogs to point of retardation and constant physical pain.
Where was that pointed out in the episode?

Snuffles asks Summer that, if she had deformed children, would she breed them with other deformed children until getting one without legs and arms and showcase them in an exhibition.

Okay, that is something, but that doesn't elevate the plot much above the trope of giving lesser animals sentience. It's like defending the Treehouse of Horror segment on the Simpsons when the dolphins revolt on how ethnically challenging the idea of how humans would feel if we were treated the same way as we treat dolphins, when the only real test is whether it's funny or not.

I thought you didn't think it was philosophical, why shift the burden to whether being philosophical is funny?

You have to admit, lawnmower dog understanding its slave role and working to reverse them while maintaining the high road in committing genocidal slavery goes a bit beyond lesser sentience.

Most humans who watch that show don't own a dolphin and the dolphin trade isn't a billion dollar industry, so its something people can relate to or cause a dilemma.

>I thought you didn't think it was philosophical,
I don't think it was any more philosophical than the tropes it was using. I would then "argue it's not particularly deep in the exploration," but it's so shallow and derivative, it's hardly a benefit.

>, lawnmower dog understanding its slave role and working to reverse them while maintaining the high road in committing genocidal slavery goes a bit beyond lesser sentience
That part felt so incredibly rushed, it had a negligible impact. If it was so important, they should have cut the plot PARODYING Inception and devoted it entirely to dogs revering their roles as slaves.

>Most humans who watch that show don't own a dolphin and the dolphin trade isn't a billion dollar industry, so its something people can relate to or cause a dilemma.
And I would say enough people go to Seaworld for it to have impact. Neutering pets is absolutely still ethical, and shoving the dogs face in urine is wrong because it doesn't actually work and for no other reason.

If the attempt was to make us question how we treat dogs, then it completely defeated itself by making the events so ridiculous.

*meant to say "reversing their roles as slaves."

The stuttering and Rick's burping is fucking obnoxious. There are good ways to make characters unique and memorable, but this isn't it.

As long as you understand the underlying philosophies now, you don't have to agree with them or find it particularly entertaining or riveting, but you got your original answer beyond satisfaction and it appears like it really made you think.

I thought it was more on a commentary of how humans are assholes. The role reversing was just a platform to then later express that if other species were put in the position of higher intelligence, they may not treat inferior species the way we do.

Also the whole inception plotline wasn't a "parody", it was criticism. It was all so Rick could make a point, which was:
>How about instead of making a over complicated plot where you use the concept of manipulating someones dreams to incept an idea into someone, and just show them a horrible scenario to change their minds.

It was pretty much them saying "here's a better way to do it".

>I thought it was more on a commentary of how humans are assholes.
Really? If that was the point, it did a terrible job of it, because plenty of people rub their dogs face in urine, and while it might not be caring, it doesn't make them assholes.

>The role reversing was just a platform to then later express that if other species were put in the position of higher intelligence, they may not treat inferior species the way we do.
But this has been done before.

>whole inception plotline wasn't a "parody"
Yes, it was.

>it was criticism.
Parodies can do this, even if they don't amount to satire.

>and just show them a horrible scenario to change their minds.
I have no idea what you're talking about. The parody Freddy Kuger attacks the teacher, saying he's doing it because he doesn't give Morty good grades. I don't remember the ending of Inception very well, but it was clearly more involved than that. If the company's head was persuaded to give up the company, (or whatever it was), because of that, it probably would not have worked. While it was very subtle in Inception, it's very blunt and quickly done here, which is a contrast. The joke is the contrast.

The freddy kruger thing was to show what inception did, and the dog dream was to show how it should have been done. It was a lot simpler and worked a lot quicker.

>expecting a show pandering to Reddit to get good

>The freddy kruger thing was to show what inception did
Too bad South Park did the exact same thing when Inception was actually relevant. Also, Inception literally didn't do that. I'm not even defending that movie, which sucked.

>and the dog dream was to show how it should have been done
That involves the plot hole of being certain the dog would still have feelings for somebody when the relationship was based on something that happened, (from the dog's perspective), in a dream.

That also might not have made a good movie, or it wasn't the story they wanted to tell.

I think you're probably reading too much into it. They just want to connect one plot with the other. And the ending, of course, was contrived, and done because they didn't have enough time for a proper one.

i dropped the show after first episode, than gladfully came back to it, it is the greatest comedy show i know, it just gets better and better.

>it is the greatest comedy show i know
I just finished the first season. Unless it gets A LOT better, you have fucking shit taste.

It's not about who did the parody first. Like you said, Rick was criticizing inception throughout the whole episode, saying it was stupid. The Freddy Krueger part of the episode was just to show how contrived and meaningless the whole point of "dreams within dreams" was.

The Dog part of the episode was to show that: Instead of having dreams within dreams, you could just have one layer of a well planned out scenario to thoroughly convince the subject to change their minds. The point was that Inception was stupid, and they used the Dog story line to do this.

Not all the episodes do this, but a lot of the parody episodes either take the concept and use it to make a point that the original didn't make, or take it in a completely different direction.

>the greatest comedy show i know
Do you not know about Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

So basically the fedora meme is meaningless, because everyone you don't like wears that stupid fucking hat.

>It's not about who did the parody first.
So originality has no value, and derivativeness isn't often an inherent vice? Have some fucking standards. There's no excuse for having a parody of Inception this late when South Park already did it when it was relevant AND also having a Nightmare on Elmstreet parody in the same episode. Seth Macfarlane should be jealous of such total lack of originality.

> Like you said, Rick was criticizing inception throughout the whole episode, saying it was stupid.
This makes the criticism of Inception lack any subtlety and is too patently just the creators voicing their opinion on the movie, (which happens a bit too often in this show). This doesn't make the plot any better.

>The Freddy Krueger part of the episode was just to show how contrived and meaningless the whole point of "dreams within dreams" was.
K. South Park still already did it. If this episode worked so well for you, why not have an entire season where they rip on Inception while also parodying Freddy Kueger? Is it because it's would already have been done before thus extremely derivative? Well, that's the case with this episode.

Also, there are parts of this episode that are much more contrived and less creative than that, so people in glass houses and all that.

>Instead of having dreams within dreams, you could just have one layer of a well planned out scenario to thoroughly convince the subject to change their minds.
This isn't really well planned out. I think you have a point, but I'm not convinced it wasn't just to connect the plots. Also, if the ending wasn't contrived, they would have actually shown Morty being killed by the dog's actions, which didn't happen.

>The point was that Inception was stupid, and they used the Dog story line to do this.
This makes the actual Inception parody to be obsolete. Still, not convinced they did it that way to show how Inception could be improved.

>Not all the episodes do this
I'm not convinced this does it, but this is the only episode from the first season that could possibly trick people into thinking there's some deeper meaning. Are their exceptions? Rick and Morty burying their dead selves? Futurama already did it and much better.

>AND also having a Nightmare on Elmstreet parody in the same episode
Don't forget about Lawnmower Man, its almost like they were going for a theme.

ITT: autism

I haven't seen that movie, but it just reminded me of a generic sci-fi premise where humans create a species or make one species smarter and that smartened species rises up and starts abusing humans in a similar way to how they were abused.

My point was that it was derivative for them to combine a parody of Inception and Nightmare and Elmstreets as another animated comedy show.

Started watching and I was at episode 3 and the episode was literally about cuckolding.

Black guy was the bull for the grandma while the grandpa watched from the locker all the time.
Why.

I don't know what was the point of this. You can want to spend time with your family, but your parents might be in an open relationship with your father literally being a cuck and your mother having a bull who brings him to dinner? I don't get it.

Lawnmower Man was kind of a scifi retelling of Flowers for Algernon where a nice retard became super intelligent and goes crazy and revolts when he actually realized how terrible everything is and can actually think of something to do about it.

Okay? I was complaining more about how it was derivative of another parody.

I also simply did not enjoy the Inception parody. I get that it's supposed to be deliberately confusing as a parodying of something that's confusing, but that doesn't make watching it enjoyable.

The moon sized naked dead bum hovering above North America was pretty funny

Fuck me, I don't mind people watching cheap cartoon comedy, I watch it myself, but it bothers me when you start crediting it with underlying deep philosophical statements that aren't very insightful unless you're still young and this is one of your first of these types of shows. The arguments going on in this thread all devolve to "someone did it earlier". Of course that's the case. It's just a matter of what you experienced first.

There is no inherit value in human bonding. Those bonds can be a disadvantage, dangerous or in this case just horribly gross.

Distance should be valued as well.

Reddit and Memety? I love it!

>There is no inherit value in human bonding.
I'm pretty sure the friendship that develops between Rick and Morty disproves this. Also, that doesn't follow at all. His parents might not have brought home the bull and he would have enjoyed his time with them. It's tying inherent value to whether it can always be enjoyable, or fulfilling, or whether it delivers on expectations. It's like saying there's no inherent value in going to the hospital for a minor surgery, and you get an infusion with tainted blood and get AIDS.

I think the writers heard cuckolding was popular at the time and made an episode featuring it, but didn't actually have a plot to justify it. What is the plot here? Dad is excited for family bonding, his parents come and awkwardly bring their bull, and he realizes to "be careful what you wish for"? Okay, thanks.

the TV bits, they weren't exactly written, it's just one of the show's creators/voice actors who got drunk and spew as much bullshit as he could on the recording booth
he actually said that he hates these episodes (there's a similar one in S2)

>it's just one of the show's creators/voice actors who got drunk and spew as much bullshit as he could on the recording booth
I guess that's interesting, but it doesn't make it a better show. Considering their quality, I'm not surprised.

I really like R&M, personally. The weird vendetta that Cred Forums has against it just makes it that much more enjoyable for me.

Honestly I'm surprised that this board didn't welcome this show with open arms, it feels like the sort of thing they would have loved a few years ago.

I love how tv sucks bojack horseman's dick because "MUH DEPRESSION THEMES I'M SO SELF DESTRUCTIVE" and hates rick and morty.

Which Rick and which Morty?

Huh?

This is a contradiction. They should hate both when they do it, though Bojack is clearly much more sophomoric about it.

Are you new here?

Cred Forums hates bojack

in the beginning before they appeased to SJWs later on when they stopped making fun of minorities

I think they like it more than Rick and Morty, but again, Cred Forums not one person. It's at least four, maybe five.

The Morty that was buried by Rick or the Cronenberg Rick and Morty that finally found peace?

>appeased to SJWs late
How?

> stopped making fun of minorities
When did they ever do that?

Except rick and morty doesn't take itself that seriously.

I still don't know what you're talking about. I'm saying that there are episode were Rick and Morty bond.

I think that was implied by what I said.

The show is really hit or miss. I feel like the quality of an episode has a negative correlation with the amount of burping.

I like the episodes Rick isn't a total Mary Sue. So this series has yet to produce a good episode for me.

Total Rickall is the best episode

Adventure Time is pretty adult to begin with though, and certainly more interesting than Dan Harmon's "fuck everything" attitude

The only episode I hate is the feminist fantasy one where men are given sex dolls to harvest sperm for the perfect females.

>Adventure Time is pretty adult to begin with though
So perhaps "edgy" would be a better term?

Which Morty, though?

Anyone played Roy 2?

I'm going to assume this is some shitty meme and stop replying.

What the fuck are you even talking about you pompous piece of shit, it's a funny cartoon. If you want to play smart guy and attached pseudointellectual philosophical meaning to media go watch some fucking art house

Fuck I hate people like you so much

If you fell for bait that obvious, BvS threads must drive you insane.

Prove any pair bonded better than cronenberg r&M

There were clearly moments where Rick showed a love for Morty. That's my point.

200+ responses

doing gods work by keepng these redditors contained

keep it up op

So these parasites could implant and change memories, but not erase the memory that there were alien parasites?

I guess the story was good to justify itself, but that's still a pretty big plot hole.

Futurama got incredibly lazy in the final few seasons. There was nothing particularly fantastical or interesting about their future universe, it was all just modern day products or occurrences with a silly future name.

K. It's was still better than Rick and Morty.

in terms of inventive science fiction concepts, absolutely not

I guess by that standard, Rick and Morty's better than Seinfeld, the Sopranos, the Simpsons, the Wire, Blackadder, Mad Men, TNG, the X-File, etc.

But seriously, I just said it was better, not in what way.

No, because Seinfeld, the Sopranos, the Simpsons, the Wire, Blackadder and Mad Men don't claim to be a part of the science-fiction comedy genre.

While TNG and X-Files are sci-fi, they're not comedy so you can't really compare.

Futurama and R&M are the same genre so they're comparable.

It's not really accurate to say you can't compare shows across different genres. I say Futurama in its 7th season was better than the Simpson in whatever season it is now.

The point is that Futurama is a better show in its last season than Rick and Morty is now. Also, like Futurama, the sci-fi aspects aren't as important as how witty it is, which is why anyone watches these shows. If I wanted "good" sci-fi, I would watch plenty of other, probably worse shows.

>what is superjail

It's pretty impossible to compare comedies and dramas.

Futurama isn't really that witty, maybe early on but it devolved into nuSimpsons-tier humour once Comedy Central picked it up

>It's pretty impossible to compare comedies and dramas.
And I mentioned Seinfeld and Blackadder, bitch.

>Futurama isn't really that witty,
Disagree, and certainly wittier than Rick and Morty.

kek, meant to quote

Seinfeld blows R&M out of the water in my opinion, and it also makes no claim to being anything other than contemporary New York. R&M gets bonus points for me simply because I love sci-fi, but objectively I would definitely say that that Seinfeld is a better show.

Never seen Blackadder so I can't really comment.

>Disagree, and certainly wittier than Rick and Morty.
We'll agree to disagree on that.

>when does it get funny?
If the humor isn't for you, stop watching. I found the first two episodes very funny.
The shows plot, or underlying plot, really takes off in episode 6 and is not in any way predictable or derivative

The cuck thing wasn't really that big a meme when that episode aired, I dont think

Futurama had cool stories and characters but the humor was shit. I don't miss it much to be honest

>((Seinfeld))) blows R&M out of the water in my opinion,
That's not even a fucking contest.

>We'll agree to disagree on that.
Not really seeing the wit in Rick and Morty. There were some really bad episodes in the seventh season of Futurama, but there are just long segments of awfulness in Rick and Morty. Aside from "Total Rickall," this has been a pretty weak season."Calculon 2.0," "Murder on the Planet Express," are better than anything this season.

Eh, I understand being disappointed with the recent revival, but Futruama in its prime was on par with the Simpsons pre-ninth season.

I definitely wouldn't say "Murder on the Planet Express" was especially witty. I'll give you "Calculon 2.0" though.

Shit, you're right. I didn't realize season 1 debuted so long ago.

Don't really remember if this show was good, but it was incredibly bizarre and completely shits on R&M's "zaniness."