What is considered canon within the franchise? Evil Dead 2 seems like a remake of The Evil Dead...

What is considered canon within the franchise? Evil Dead 2 seems like a remake of The Evil Dead, but Ash vs Evil Dead alludes to both films while ignoring Army of Darkness.

The beginning of evil dead 2 is a rehash. Then it continues.

Pretty sure it was said that they finally won the rights to army of darkness and will be referencing it in season 2 of AvED

>Pretty sure it was said that they finally won the rights to army of darkness

This would be Dope.
If only we could get an ash vs army of darkness where he travels back in time again.

>while ignoring Army of Darkness
This is what I don't get.

In one episode Ash literally says "Chopping up my evil clone, I wonder when that'll get old" or something of the like, which is a direct reference to AoD, and it was fine.

Ash even uses the "primitive screwheads" line on the new season.

How iffy is that "we can't mention AoD" thing? Is it just he can't say "oh yeah I travelled back to medieval times, met King Arthur"?

I think its a you-know-i-know / saying-it-without-saying-it kinda deal.

Just referenced but never said outright.

Are people really stupid enough that they think Evil Dead 2 is a remake? If so, how?

Evil dead 1:

>5 teenagers

>get attacked by demons who possess them one by one

And that's it.

Evil dead 2:

>ash in the cabin alone where he gets attacked by his dismembered gf and his hand.

>daughter of archaeologist who found the necronomicon comes up with a guy and a hillbilly couple

>ash gets thrown in the cellar and attacked by henrietta

>they all get possessed (or most of them, idr)

>and then there's a big snake-headed demon and also a giant tree

>then ash gets transported back to the middle ages

How, besides the opening 'recap', does the plot of ED2 even remotely resemble ED1?

Oh, and remember the 'evil' getting ash at the end of ED1? Well ED2 began with him possessed. That doesnt sound like a remake to me, it sounds like a continuation.

because in ED1 he goes up with his 5 friends and shit happens
in ED2 they show him go up with just his gf. Yes it condenses the whole first night into a few minutes as basically a prologue for the real movie, but it's obvious that there's absolutely nothing resembling continuity between the two films. It just retcons everything that happened in 1 to do a different movie in the same setting.

Ultimately none of this matters. It's Evil Dead, we watch it for the laughs the gore and the hammy acting. If you're taking notes and creating a canon interpretation of the universe you're doing it wrong

I remember hearing that they can't legally do a blatant reference to AoD so they do winks at it as much as they can.

This.

The show is written with AoD having happened, but they can't actually mention it directly.

Whatever they have the rights to is canon. Really just depends on whether they are willing to shell out the extra cash.

Starz owns the rights to Evil Dead 1 and 2, while Universal owns the rights to Army of Darkness.

why can't they mention it? Wasn't it de Laurentiis' company that did both ED2 and AOD?

ed2 is a sequel
why did they retcon how many people were with ash at the cabin is completely beyond me though
and what's weird is that last episode of ash vs evil dead retcons it again by showing that at least ash's sister cheryl was at the cabin too

see

Noice
I really need to watch the rest of season 1

Yeah, but Universal produced AoD. So it belongs to them.

And weirdly enough Universal is holding to those AoD rights pretty thightly. I mean, I don't think it makes them that much money.

Its both a remake and sequel because 1 got into muddy rights territory. The best way to think about it is the same way as Mad Max, where continuity doesn't really mean shit.

Well the blond woman that gets root-raped in 1 was Campbells real life sister, so I assumed they were brother/sister in the film as well.

>why did they retcon
Because Raimi "lost" the rights to the first one at the time he made the second. He changed up the story because he couldn't use the first 1:1 so he made a close approximation for the prologue.

Was he salty about losing the rights to his creation?

The only things that aren't canon are the recaps at the beginning of Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. Those are for plebs who didn't see the first film and who deserve wrong information.

All 4 films and the series are canon other than that.

>4 films
Wot

Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, AoD, Evil Dead Remake

I always thought ED1 was canon and ED2 was canon after the retreated.

Every aspect of ED canon is all over the place. Reminder that comics Ash crossed over with Freddy, Jason, Darkman, Reanimator, Hack/Slash, Xena and Marvel Zombies. And then one studio's publishing an AoD comic at the same time thet another one is publishing an ED2 comic.
One of the comics explained continuity by having there be an Ash and a Necronomicon for every possible universe, tho.

So the remake isnt canon though, right?

How is the the remake canon?

Only this is canon.

Remake is canon. Ash even appears at the end of the credits.

It is canon. Aside from Ash saying Groovy in the post credits 3 second scene, it's just a film in the universe. None of the characters are supposed to be characters from the original. Bruce Campbell and Raimi produced it and set it in their universe.

Those comics aren't canon with Evil Dead but are accepted as canon with F13 and NOE universes.

The Dynamite ED universe is superior tho, I think. It features the most competent Ash out of them all.

Ash cameo, post-credits. iirc, there were plans for a sequel to either AoD or the remake, then a crossover

evil dead is so reddit

this is canon

Fuck your mother

>this is kino

Ftfy

Universal is the worst micromanaging studio. People can point back to what Fox did to Alien 3 or all the rights fights over Star Trek, but Universal behaves that way for every last property they have.

They are right not to try to get AOD into the mix, because it would mean every episode of the series will go through a half dozen focus groups and getting some middle-aged pantsuit's sign-off before airing.

Is the show worth it?

Lucy Lawless is the hidden villain

It's legitimately fantastic. Not even for memes, it's seriously just a good show.

>while ignoring Army of Darkness
uh...about that

Writers need to continue drag me to hell in AvED. I want to see Ash fight demons IN Hell and go toe-to-toe with Miss Ganush.

Either that or do Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash. I mean, they're all in the same universe and they can do it now..

can't wait for them to get the rights and have a one line "oh yeah, I forgot all that" moment or something stupid like that to transition into an action scene

100% kino

Just adapt them as a 2 parter, desu. The only problem is I'm betting some of the actors from the Friday and Nighmare series are dead and both stories use them alot.

>I didn't think you'd believe me
Or
>You never asked
Are both acceptable answers.

>Reanimator and evil dead
sounds good desu

It was alright. It's not really Herbert West Ash fights though, it's a version of him from some mirror world. He takes West's place and sees the Necronomicon as a more efficient way to reanimate the dead.
In the end, Ash tricks him into looking in a mirror and the real West beats him the fuck out. And Yog Sothoth is somehow a part of it all.

Ash vs Evil Dead can reference AoD in season 2. They resolved the rights snaffu.

That said, considering the reality-altering nature of the Necronomicon, I don't think there needs to be a hard and fast canon for Evil Dead.

is this show good? I remember when it was announced I was like hell yeah but I completely forgot to watch it.