Do you prefer binge watching over the traditional weekly airing...

Do you prefer binge watching over the traditional weekly airing? Are particular shows more suited to one type of fruition or it's just a matter of personal preference?

I prefer binge.

It's more immersive

I feel like a show such as The Simpsons, for a concrete example, is better as a traditional weekly thing because each and every episode hold stories of their own that won't often reference things from past episodes that actually holds any meaning.

On the other hand, a show like Marco Polo works wonders when released all at once over Netflix because each episode gives credit to the one before and after and is constantly following a red thread that connects them all. It's easier to keep that thread intact if you can watch it all at once instead of waiting a whole week for one episode after the other.

I prefer weekly airing purely for the advantages it has outside of watching the show
- binging a show makes it impossible to process the specific moments of an individual episode and by the end all you can really remember are key plot points and none of the small character moments or breather scenes or details, whereas a week between episodes you can effectively process an entire episode and by the end you have a better grip on the entirety of the show
- also, with binging, you can't properly discuss the show with anyone. everyone wants to talk about the 'new [streaming service] show' but people binge at different rates so you have this awkward verbal shuffle around where each of you are in the show and what you think.
- plus the binging model contributes to the faggots who either binge a show so quickly or skip to the end and try to spoil it online everywhere. It makes a daily habit a warzone. shit sucks

>It takes a whole week for him to process a 23-40 minute long episode.
I feel like I should insult your intelligence, but I usually try to not hack on the mentally handicapped.

i dont know how anyone could sit down week after week watching live scheduled programming with commercial breaks

especially for pleb shit like the walking dead

I hate that they drop entire seasons.

Especially with house of cards you can notice it just makes the writers lazy. They don't need to keep you hooked in to watch next week so they don't actually need to have something happen.

Fairly annoying to watch

Weekly. Binging emphasizes repeating themes that begin to grate and all discussion of the show drops off after the first week.

You can't anticipate, discuss or speculate when you watch an entire season in a few days.

I didn't say it takes a whole week, but it's better than no time at all
there's barely any time for breaks with streaming shows if you want to finish over the weekend and still have other shit to do

>I didn't say it takes a whole week
binging a show makes it impossible to process the specific moments of an individual episode and by the end all you can really remember are key plot points and none of the small character moments or breather scenes or details, whereas a week between episodes you can effectively process an entire episode and by the end you have a better grip on the entirety of the show
That's exactly what you did though...
I mean, nothing personal, but if it takes more than a few seconds to process something, you're a wee bit on the slow side.

i dont give a flying fuck about water cooler discussion so i like full seasons i can watch at my own pace.

Weekly. It is scientifically proven that discussing something online is much more pleasurable than the actual experience, and this is true for vydia, books, tv shows, movies and every other media. Binge watching kills that.

>It is scientifically proven that discussing something online is much more pleasurable than the actual experience
Post proof. Sounds like horseshit.

I didn't say it takes the entire week to process, I said the week gives you enough time
and you seem think 'process' just means understanding what you're seeing on screen at the moment which it isn't
it's everything from connecting elements of an episode to the larger themes of the show, to understanding character actions and arcs in relation to the story, to discussing or speculating about the show with new knowledge, and some other stuff that takes time to, you know, think about
if you can do that in a second, kudos to you, I'm sure you're the smartest person in every room

lets see the study then FAGGOT!

>what is a hyperbole
spotted the assburgers.

>it's everything from connecting elements of an episode to the larger themes of the show, to understanding character actions and arcs in relation to the story, to discussing or speculating about the show with new knowledge, and some other stuff that takes time to, you know, think about
>if you can do that in a second, kudos to you, I'm sure you're the smartest person in every room
Anyone with basic intelligence can do that in a matter of seconds/minutes. Whelp, the brain isn't fully developed until you're 26. You still got time to catch up, champ.

>binge watching killed that

so explain strange things hype dummy.

>I don't have any proof, but you guys are autistic for calling me out on my bullshit
Wew lad. Backpeddle harder next time, 'kay?

Depends on the show, even good sitcoms like The Simpsons tend to become repetitive and cloying when binged

yeah you must be very smart instead, considering you actually tought someone would make a study about shitposting on 4chin and took my joke literally.

the problem is feel obligated to race through a through a show so they don't feel left out of the monday morning sewing circle at the office. people also race through them to find the big twist so they can yell snap kills dumbledore from the e-rooftops such as this very site.

if you avoid the pitfalls you can watch and analyze at your own pace. you have the whole season at your fingertips to watch, rewatch, go back and check something, pause and zoom on on that special detail, etc.

Who the hell has time to binge 10+ hours of a show at a time? I imagine NEETs, and middle school kids without any responsibilities?

I prefer binge, but weakly with friends

weekends mate. why do you netflix releases everything on fridays

>Implying people don't discuss anything anywhere else but on Cred Forums
Is it just today, or are you always this retarded?

I like to watch one episode a day.

Sort of a nice middle ground between binging and forgetting everything that has happened.

sure, that's why we have so many scientifical studies about people talking about tv shows on facebook and reddit, right?

I can agree with this. It gives people time to process/discuss stuff that happened in an episode as some people here want while not losing the "thread" the other guy talked about.

This is the patrician choice, bingewatching just makes me feel empty inside because I have no reason to wake up every day anymore after I finish a show that I love.

I'm currently halfway through Farscape and I've been watching 1 episode every night before I go to bed, all my lights off all my attention focused on my monitor.

Whenever John or any of the crew flinch at bright light I flinch with them, its so comfy and I've been archiving every single thread related to Farscape on Cred Forums for over a month, I'll wait till I finish the show then read through everything.

In the past I used to bingewatch because I had no self control but I know that Farscape is special and even though I know Aeryn dies eventually I've come to terms with it

;_;

Lost wouldn't have received nearly as much attention if it was released all at once.

Suspense and wondering what the fuck was happening for a week in between epsiodes is basically all the show has

neither. i like being the one who decides when I am going to watch something, but I don't binge watch as I find it tiresome and boring. So in that way streaming is better for me, I can press pause when I want to etc. Then again, I just download shit so it doesn't matter

I binged watched the first 2 seasons of house of cards
got about halfway through the third season and got sick of the show. I don't know if it was too much too soon or if the quality of the show dropped in season 3

I can't stand the term binge watching it rubs me the complete wrong way
Maybe because it's only used by the most normal of normalshits

It really depends on the show. I actually think a perfect example of each is the two seasons we got of True Detective. Now the first season I think benefited from the week-to-week format because it allowed the sense of mysticism and conspiracy to fester and grow.
The exact opposite is true for the second season which I think benefits entirely from the binge watching experience purely because of the way the story is told.

I think in future viewer experience is going to continue to trump traditional media viewership standards. There will be a definite move towards allowing people to view things at their own discretion which I can only think is a good thing going forward because while TV has never been rated as highly as it is now, how it's traditionally viewed is becoming more and more archaic and non-existent. So there'll have to be a definitive move to try to shackle people to the form.

this. it really is.