>he has some kind of "120 fps" effect activated on his TV
>the movie looks like it was filmed with a cam corder and feels really cheap
>tell him i hate how it looks
>"dude it looks more real like this, like you are in the middle of the action"

>friend
Stopped reading there
I know you don't have any friends.

mongy

That's Motion Interpolation. I have to turn that setting off on my tv every time I watch a newer Michael Mann movie or it looks like it was shot on VHS.

You're right to hate motion interpolation. But a higher framerate isn't a bad thing. It doesn't take very long to get accustomed to it.

Next time you watch a camera panning over a landscape notice how fucking terribly and jittery it looks and then tell me that 24 fps is superior.

>friend has TV set to squish all fullscreen movies into widescreen

Honestly, motion interpolation isn't even that bad. I started watching movies with it as an experiment and after a while I stopped associating it with cheap camcorder footage.

Now I can watch both pretty easily and when something is actually shot in a higher fps I can appreciate it

My friend literally said "this looks better like this stretched out" the other week when I showed him how to set a 90s show to its correct ratio.

I legitimately tried to watch the Wire's first season in a squashed/cut off way
I'm so sorry

Do Americans actually do this?

Were you watching the original version, or the widescreen re-release?

original version, it was in 4:3

I see...

I did see the errors of my way and stopped my aspect ratio tampering, watched all of it in pretty much one week

All movies and most TV shows are shot at 24 FPS. This is the standard for film making. If your TV has any setting higher then this, it's simply using some fuckery to interpret the footage at a faster rate, which is going to look fucking awful, and not accurate to what the film maker wanted it to look like.

Not that it matters, the human eye can't see higher than 23 FPS.

yes absolutely no difference

Just a simple illusion. Each eye can only process 11.x FPS.

Dude I was the same problem yesterday with Public Enemies and I wondered if the movie just looked this way. I didn't know what to do.

older brother was watching luke cage on his phone.
when i asked him how he could stand watching such shit quality when there's literally a tv in the other room, he said that a far away tv takes up the same amount of his FOV that a close phone does, therefore it's the exact same

I saw Public Enemies at the cinema and it looked like trash there too. Especially when there was a lot of movement. Some parts looked like they were shot on camcorder.

Something must be wrong with my eyes since 30 and 60 look nearly identical to me.

You can't see higher than 23 FPS, that's why. Its a gimmick.

I think since Miami Vice Mann has used digital photography. It's an acquired taste.

>friend has brightness/contrast set to maximum
>says its so he "can see everything in the scene"

>30 & 60 fps look exactly the same

You're supposed to be arguing against the other person, not for them.

Look at the legs.

>friend has sharpness set at 100 percent
>says it makes the movie "more HD"

Must be. I see a clear difference in how smooth the arm lifting motion is between 30 and 60.

maybe the source was cam

Is this bait? I can clearly tell the difference

Looks like the butthurt Cred Forumsermin have turned up to defend their manbaby video games with muh >60 fps

>friend has a tv

It might be your monitor. If you don't have enough hz you will never be able to see it.

60 fps makes more of a difference when the camera and subject are in motion.

>friend doesn't own a TV or have cable
>watches everything on his tiny 19inch dell monitor
>watches live streams (buffering, buffering, buffering)

True motion takes getting used to, it's mainly for video games in my opinion, but it does work well on animated stuff.

It took me a month to get used to true motion, now normal screens seem off.

>friend wants to watch a show
>the only way he can think to do this is on YouTube
>ends up watching show via the corner of a reaction video
>he does this on his phone

I wish I was joking

I think that is called cinemotion.

It sucks ass. Makes everything look like a soap opera

Cinemotion sounds like some buzzword made up by a TV manufacturer. The actual word is interpolation.

They were trying to claim his prize

*grab
My bad

What show, what video? Why does he do that? Is he retarded? Does he do this regularly? Is he even able to hear and see everything? WTF?!

Go back to Cred Forums, they miss you there.