youtube.com/watch?v=1wqSUgkXbdM
youtube.com/watch?v=uxElq1GXav8
youtube.com/watch?v=0ydnCEi4ZHE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nothing

The design

Nothing
Absolute kino.

letting anno and his lackeys do what they want instead of the first question on the job application being "do you and will you respect showa era godzilla"

Were you born retarded by chance?

Last act dragged on a bit and the cgi in the "transformation" scene was a bit wonky but other than that it was perfect.

Everything between Godzilla destroying Tokyo with lasers and the origami reveal
Godzilla's weird mouth design
Reusing Decisive Battle like 8 times

The filmmakers not having enough time to iron out all of the visual effects and Ishihara's English. Nevertheless, it's still a strong film. Unquestionably better than Gareth Edwards' bore.

>the "What went wrong" shitposting begins
Time to leave this place for a month again

It shouldn't even be in question if 2014 was better. I knew ten minutes in to Shin that it was better than 2014 which is surprising considering how strong the first act of 2014 was.

You can tell who genuinely cares and who pretends to care but is edgy at core.

>Yaguchi prayed to the ruin left by first landing
>doesn't give a slightest fuck hearing that the whole cabinet died

I am saying that Anno is that guy who pretends to be inspired by the 2011 disaster but is in fact trolling the world

Dr. Strangezilla: Or How I Learned To Stop Bureaucrating And Bomb The Monster

I would've liked more focus on the civilians lives being destroyed by Godzilla.

It felt a bit long towards the end.

Other than that it was perfect.

No Eu release

Basically this. It's a black comedy.

Some members of the fanbase seem absolutely disgusted with Shin Godzilla. But imo it's better than the soulless poor imitation of a Spielberg film/remake of Monsters we got two years ago or any Godzilla film in a long time.

Japanese are autistic. They can't convey emotions and have to label everything like an OCD kid.

>Some members of the fanbase seem absolutely disgusted with Shin Godzilla.
they should honestly grow up, or watch power rangers or both or neither of those

>Basically this. It's a black comedy.

>that one dude's HOLY SHIT moment
>Rando's official title getting longer and longer
>New PM

It was pretty entertaining

This. Shin Godzilla has more in common with the original Godzilla than any Godzilla in the past 30 years.

As I said. Anno doesn't care. He would like to spend more time killing prime minister.

>tfw they killed off PM Okochi
He was based even if he could've stopped Gojira in his first form.

>Engrish
What a useless female character. Just like Asuka and her German.

this guy gets it, you don't need a real american in a movie, just pretend he/she is. it's part of the charm of the japanese movies

I actually felt gutted.
He wanted to go down with the ship, but nope dies in such an undignified way.

>traditional "honoribu" japanese man dies a sudden, inglorious death due to modern warfare

You don't watch many Japanese movies, do you?
Characters who are behind the times like that are fairly common.

why was he so THICC

growth hormones to increase the amount of white meat that could be harvested from him

Did you forget that Godzilla represents everything about the Modern era, come to destroy the peaceful and romanticist setting?

>we want the american audience

Rando is such a caring person. He prayed for all those civilians. Strangers he had never met.
But Anno is edgy. He has an edgy opinion about Japanese politics.

At first it may seem like a dilemma and the PM may seem like a honest guy.

But Anno is a jealous and harsh God and he doesn't leave moral ambiguity.

You would notice that Anno has made sure that everything PM said or did are wrong, useless, and he only did it because he was incompetent.

The opposite of the PM's decision is the what Anno called right choice, and it was his true political opinion.

>"I meant it when I told people not to worry" -> he shouldn't waste time on conference
>"The weapon of JSDF should NOT point at Japanese!" -> "it should"
>"It's good that Americans gave it a name" -> they should have suspected Americans and begin to dig into Japan itself to find the answer
>"I cannot leave citizens of Tokyo" -> he should

Anno is a Nazi pretending to be a bleeding heart. Just like his master Miyazaki

>implying there's anything wrong with nazis

That shit is only funny for the first few lines. When you've got whole scenes of engrish it's cringey as fuck. I mean, how expensive would it be to hire a second unit director that speaks English? Or just don't have that "American" character at all. Fuck.

But wasn't she cute?

Didn't open in enough cinemas nor did it get released that well

>Rando is such a caring person. He prayed for all those civilians. Strangers he had never met.
But when his colleagues and seniors die he said: "Forget about them they are dead."
And after he is calmed it's like it never happened.
Of course because an edgy and pretentious pseudo philanthropist would pretend to value a dog's life over that of a king, when he is in fact using the dog to show his contempt for the king.

It's pretty funny.i stay in Japan and she's actually the face of a pretty big English school. Me and my gf both laughed when she started to talk.

She would get it though

Kiko Mizuhara would have been the better choice. She isn't as popular and isn't Japanese, though her English is much stronger and she worked under Higuchi just last year in Attack on Titan.

youtu.be/UIY4WRvWrLg

But I guess Ishihara's English was strong enough for the domestic audience the film was made for.

In the west?
Wikipedia has it at #1 in the Japanese box office first two weeks, and climbed back to #2 in its sixth (!) week.

Obviously the Japanese box office works a bit differently than in the US with how long this stayed in theaters, while remaining profitable.
What I can't find are production costs, but I'm unable to dig through nippon websites for it.

The budget is rumored to be between $15-$20 million USD. It is on track to finish with $75 million USD in Japan.

For comparison, Godzilla '14 made $30 million USD during its Japanese run.

Rumors are 15-20 million budget. Since it's looking at close to 75 mil domestic now, I think nothing went wrong at all.

They clearly just blew off the American market, which might have been the right call since Americans are too dumb to read subtitles or think about foreign politics.

Is that a wool leotard?

Absolutely nothing.

10/10

If you didn't like this, it's a clear sign that you are a fuccboi that pays $20 a gram.

Yes in the west, europe. it needed a wider release.

now the only way I can see it is by torrenting or by waiting to buy the blu ray

It's a movie made for Japanese.
The girl's Japanese lines and performance are way more important than those English window dressing.
Even the product placement "where is Zara" is more important than all the English she said

They hired "true English" voice actors for exactly second unit footages. All those characters are faceless and nameless.

But if you priority is a star actress playing cute and hard to get in Japanese, Engrish is secondary.

>Wikipedia has it at #1 in the Japanese box office first two weeks,
Wikipedia is made by fans.

It's knocked off by an anime pretty quickly

this guy gets it
foreign audiences treat english and engrish differently. If you've ever watched Indian films, the actors are tossing english phrases into their dialogue. Give "Robot" a watch sometime.

Fucking nothing.

$20 million budget and Anno BTFO Hollywood with his beautiful direction.

Those "true English" actors were fucking awful too. Like just random people off the street or something.

But yes, you are right: It's not for Americans, and it's not a priority for them.

Kek

That anime happened to be the first wide release by the "next Miyazaki" and one of the most successful films in the history of Japanese cinema.

Shin Godzilla was number 1 for three weeks and stayed in the top 5 for several weeks afterwards. And at the moment, after over two months in theaters, it's sitting at #10 in weekend box office.

Also, Shin Gojira's engrish was a huge step up for Anno.

youtube.com/watch?v=UN9GiMFWKPE

I heard it was 15 million.

Nothing, It's a Nip flim, it's not meant for weebs and Amerifats. I personally don't like the design, he looks like he ate too many Crabby Patties. I liked that it was Japan doing it's own thing instead of being babied by the US.

>That anime happened to be the first wide release by the "next Miyazaki" and one of the most successful films in the history of Japanese cinema

name?

"your name"

Anno like usual

>all those threads crying about whitewashing Ghost in the Shell
>American girl in Japanese movie is allowed to be Japanese.

Why double standards, weeb?

So did they make 75 million just from yesterday screening in US or is it 75 million US total globally?

$75 million is how much it made in Japan.

I think he's on about Makoto Shinkai.

I'm not noticing any fuck ups like saying "angel" when "angle" was intended, like in Patlabor 2.
youtube.com/watch?v=XHpzlBMfaeY

Because the actual character is Japanese-American. Those exist you know?

Ah ok.
>Makoto Shinkai
>Next Miyazaki

Ehh.... not compatible.

I hope they update to show how much it makes in the US and CAN

I want it to be successful enough it warrants a sequel and they show it in the US again. I want Toho to recognize its audience globally

>op asks about what went wrong with a movie
>shitposts about murrica, despite them having nothing to do with this film

someone has an unhealthy obsession

Which is probably why they are all faceless and nameless

It's actually kind of weird. Americans seem so important but at the same time they are so distant and blurry

Why the fuck is the guy who is supposed to be the girl's dad and the president's good friend also faceless in a face to face conversation

People have been calling him that for years now. Plus "Your Name" is making prime-Studio Ghibli era money at box office and receiving rave reviews. What other criteria does he need for the title to be considered?

In other news, Shin Godzilla is the most successful Japanese Godzilla film since the early 1960s. Otherwise known as the Golden Age.

>didn't see the movie

Bro. She looks 200% Japanese and she can't do an American accent.

> Gojira (1954) is btfo at box office by a movie with the title "Your Name"
> Shin Gojira (2016) is btfo at box office by a movie with the title "Your Name"
It's like poetry...

You realize both biological parents could be Japanese and that she could have simply been born in the United States?

Miyazaki does movies for all family-kids.
Shinkai does teenage romance stories.

I was talking more about substance than comparing numbers.

>American character in Japan
>It speaks fluent japanese
>Can't speak english propertly

You aren't into anime, aren't you?

America played a big part in this movie. Just as it had in the real earthquake and Fukushima, the regional politics, the pop culture, the investment and purchasing of the pop culture, the economy, and everything else, all the way back to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

And Anno has an unhealthy obsession with USA

I think that's how the Japanese make a character seem like a secret power broker. After all, his daughter is going to be president in her 40's on the strength of his name alone...

>born in the US
>went through US schools
>cant speak english

An annual reminder that Kaiju movies are for marginalized nerds and melodrama is the true mainstream.

Ah yes. Senator Patterson, the Japanese immigrant.

You realize that the old white guy who gave her advice towards the end was supposed to be her father right?

No it's for practical reason.

>one budget/small timer/big name/superstar cameo American actor is hired
>he looks like the kind of smart old white male you would expect to be a Washington politician
>on the other side of the table sits Satomi Ishihara, struggling with her Engrish
>she is supposed to be his daughter

>After having enough laugh Anno decided to delete all shots showing the guy's face

weren't they both released by toho?

>Toho stumping its "superprodcution" with anime

worse than WB

Unless I missed a direct reference to him being her biological father, adoption is a possibility.

Nepotism?

Yes. But Toho only distributed Your Name if I'm not mistaken. Shin Godzilla is an in-house production.

We aren't talking about your anime for once faggot. Anno made a real movie with real people in it this time.

I saw it last night in Burger land and the theater was literally packed. They might make a decent amount from the US release.

I mean it's common in japan those cases with americans and their english level, mostly shown in anime, you cunt.

What was his endgame?

BD RELEASE WHEN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I CAN'T SEE IT UNTIL THEN

I'LL EVEN FUCKING BUY IT INSTEAD OF PIRATE IT, ANNO! JUST RELEASE IT!

The implication that "if anime does it, its OK"?
Wow.

>Unless I missed a direct reference to him being her biological father, adoption is a possibility.

Or maybe she was an alien-controlled robot that is infiltrating our government in order to take over the world. I mean, there wasn't anything in the movie about that, but it doesn't directly conflict with anything either, so let's just construct our own complex narrative rather than admit that the filmmakers just picked a hot girl and didn't give a shit whether she could pass for an American.

So if they nuke him, would he die?

Baneposting aside, I assume the initial blast would hurt him, but the radiation would end up benefitting him if he lived?

make me

Knowing Anno, it would stun him for a while, but Gojira would just sit there slumped over while he regrows to repair from the damage.

And since conventional weapons can't hurt him, he'd sit there until they decide to nuke him again.

nothing

In the comics whenever they nuked Godzilla he just got bigger and stronger

Yeah, they'll do fine. It's all icing on the cake for them at this point.

I'm just saying they could have done a lot better here by stepping up their english, advertising a little, and going for a wider release.

Oh don't you fuck me with me, Anno. I'll purposely pirate 4.0+1.0 if you ever release that one if you don't release Shin Godzilla soon.

How do humans even compete? Make NERV and hire Gendo?

Godzilla 2014 is the only movie incarnation to take a nuke straight on. In the comics a nuke made him stronger.

I enjoyed it, but the political stuff was getting a little boring after a while and could basically be summed up as "bureaucracy is bad"

Cred Forums called it months ago.

If only Anno had killed himself just after EoE.

I fucking hope it's true. This capeshit era needs to die already.

But the Rebuilds are great

>Legendary and Edward's faces when they realize a Jap movie directed by a mentally ill man and made on pennies outdid and delivered on what their movie was unable to

Today we will remind them.

4 is literally never coming out. Prove me wrong.

CAPESHIT ON SUICIDE WATCH

rogerebert.com/reviews/shin-godzilla-2016

I think they're probably feeling fine about it.

In proportion, Shin Goji made 7 times its budget while G14 didn't even make 4 times while being an international release with lots of advertising.

What was the budget? 15 million

Anno should've moved on to become a live action director after EoE.

Too bad he's just a lazy asshole who shat out a crappy reboot to Eva to get a quick buck.

10 or 15, around that

Dang I thought it would have been more Just because of the cgi and destruction scenes

They did really well for that budget

Sure. This one's doing great for it's budget. Just saying that the 2014 one did just fine.

Is there a more cucked director?

I'm actually really glad 14 did well because now we have more both japanese and american Godzilla to come for that reason.

Damn, 10/10 review
He made me realize I loved scenes I didn't even think about while watching it

The beauracratic scenes make more sense now

Yes, I want to throw all my money towards both

the big cheese didnt get to reak havoc long enough

He slithered through, went back to the bay, came back and blew shit up for a bit, then fell asleep until they woke him back up and froze him

Drive cost 16 mil and pulled 78 mil at the box office.
Also, claims from earlier in the thread place it at about 15 - 20 mil. Claiming 10 mil might be dipping too low.

Anyway, the big thing that's being overlooked is that there's a scale to the numbers. 60 mil off Shin Gojira makes a light, pseudo B action movie like Jack Reacher or Blackhat.
But 370 mil like the 2014 Godzilla funds two big name action movies of the Marvel variety.
Reacher or Blackhat are movies that are lucky to break 150 mil, and a smash hit if they pass 200 mil.
Meanwhile Marvel-scale movies with a 150 - 250 mil budget have a shot at the 1 Billion figure, like Civil War.

Studios want that mad 1 Billion figure rather than small success. Small successes don't give them market dominance or a mass audience they can sell on sequels.
That being said, 2014 Godzilla > Shin Gojira. To Studios at least.

Angel is aviation jargon for thousands of feet, they're giving their altitude of 32,000 feet to the AWACS, not their heading.

Toho had a much greater profit margin. Remember that theaters took half of the total gross of Godzilla '14 and marketing was likely $100 million. So Legendary likely only got $4 million if we're talking straight box office success. Fine but nothing to brag about.

Oh.
Neat.

Dude, he made fine film, OK? He's a guy who did Monsters, like alone. It was stupid to expect from him something different from his previous work. And from morale point of view - it's impossible to make real Godzilla movie in US. Because Godilla is a symbol of something and that something never happened on US soil. 2014 Godzilla was fine. And surely better than 1998 version.

how did roger ebert review it when hes dead

Which Kaiju are you wanting to see get revived, be it in the US movies or the JP movies? I need to see a fully CGI Mecha. Having Jet Jaguar in one of the films, if only as a minor joke/reference, would be great too.

He made a "meh" film. Not outright awful, though not exactly memorable either. Empty spectacle. He attempted to pull a Spielberg and fell quite short of achieving that goal.

Knifehead.

But preferably none.

Torrent when?

I genuinely fucking loved this film, and I'm gonna see it a few more times to try and take everything because holy shit those fucking subtitles were a barrage of bullshit information

If Shin Godzilla gets direct sequels I want completely new monsters or him to fight
They could even take inspiration from the Heisei movies and make them all born from Godzilla's cells since they already dropped that plot hook that Godzilla could propagate himself with new creatures.
America is already gonna do Rodan Mothra and Ghidorah.

JET JAGUAR
JET JAGUAR

> They could even take inspiration from the Heisei movies and make them all born from Godzilla's cells since they already dropped that plot hook that Godzilla could propagate himself with new creatures.

Hmm... Let's move in a new, but faithful direction.

Some of the CGI and few actors. That's about it.

Can anybody help me find this online? I'm so shit at finding foreign stuff, and I really love Godzilla and Anno.

Designing a cup holder on his wishbone.

SEE IT IN THEATERS FAGGOT ITS WORTH IT

I live in the center of the country, my town doesn't even have a theater that has more than like four screens. Every nerd pirates everything.

Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that

Well yeah it's a damn good movie so hopefully you find a torrent or something, but I feel you I work at a big theater chain so i get free tickets, but the nearest one in my chain screening it is 15 miles away

tfw no euro release ;_;

>Living in Europe
End my fucking live.

Don't you get a pension if you try to kill yourself and fail, but are crippled in the attempt?

Anyway, stay strong Eurobros, we're all gonna be 1st world nations someday.

After he died, his tail spawned a bunch of little skeletal clones that took over his website.

We gonna receive a spanish release this next january

Absolutely nothing

see you on reddit friend! :)

edit: thanks for the gold, narwhale bacon at midnight FTW xD

Extra muscle for strength to not be crushed under his immense weight.

HE DICKEY COVERS UP AN ADAMS APPLE THE SIZE OF A TOYOTA

>dreams of making a Godzilla movie like the original, but with monsters added for good measure
>has to staple together the mess Borenstein cobbled together from Goyer's draft in time for the release
>all the fantastic shots and scenes forever overshadowed by the shitty writing and characters
>goes indie again so if he makes a shit film, it's at least his shit film
Edwards had a hard life man

so were those mini godzillas growing out of his tail at the end?

Probably Goro's contribution as they seemed humaoid

I've never been so conflicted about finding something gross and creepy but also fucking adorable at the same time.

Japan has completely turned Kamata-kun into a cute mascot for the movie.

Just post the thing.

youtu.be/7cxV8Bf8ND4?t=22s

Why are Japs so obsessed with this character?

youtu.be/EdeBM7YkKw0

Rei 2.0

She's cute.

youtube.com/watch?v=4hGU_ezX36c

god fucking damnit i wanna see it so bad

I want a Kamata-kun plushie.

I really liked it. Some great shots, Godzilla had a unique presence both for the movie and the franchise. I thought even the acting was good. Some really funny scenes too.

godzilla looked emaciated as fuck, what where they thinking?

where did you all get the movie from online?

This is the best rendition of Godzilla to date.

Godzilla (2014) was much better famalam

Froggo and friends enjoyed it.

> People defend this

This, it made me feel physically ill looking at it. 2/10 do not want.

That's absurdly false. I haven't even seen the new one, but Godzilla 2014 was abysmal. The Roland Emmerich version was unironically more entertaining.

>That's absurdly false.
>I haven't even seen the new one
wew lad

>all these anno shills

nothing op, you're just a faggot

the japanese shouldn't make films, they are always cringey as fuck

best girl

Was it better then the shitty re-remake the fucking Americans did again? Because that one was just as bad as their 90's one.

No.

I would literally rather watch bureaucrats talk about sectional jurisdiction than watch John Johnson the average American soldier worry about his generic wife and child.

I have. He's not wrong. Shin Godzilla isn't great, but the 2014 Godzilla is boring as shit.

Can anyone tell me where they got to see this online?

Ganbare, Kamata-kun!

I'm proud of Japan taking up and putting down Americans like they did in this. It was basically telling Americans to fuck off with their copy cat films and overall their lives and politics.

I literally thought that when the little guy stood up for the first time.

Good for him.

But America helped them defeat Godzilla. You think in extremes. While they did mock American politics and war ethic, just as much as they mocked their own, in the end it was the collaboration with America and other nations that lead to victory.

fandango

I want her to sit on my face while telling me scientific theories

CAMRIP WHEN

Nothing at all.

hhelloooooooo millenium baby!

It's up on HDbits.

>do you and will you respect showa era godzilla
shut the fuck up

How did he not respect Godzilla? It's basically a Honda film with today's effects and Annoisms. You people seriously need to chill.

Both of you fucks are too stupid to realize Anno is a massive Showa fag as a result of his age and that there was a ton of Showa fanservice in this movie

For fuck sake the sound effects were literally ripped from the old movies from around the 60's or so and had diminished sound quality as a result

Hell the dead professor was named after a character from Son of fucking Godzilla

whats her name?

>Letting Anno direct anything after Rebuild failure

Its not playing near me if I could I would

Bet she's fluent in Spanish though...
Amirite?

Hiromi Otashima I think, Japanese of twitter call her Oto-san though

> Failure
> Literally a box office juggernaut that makes $20 million more each film and its merchandise prints money
Sure it might not be as good as the original television series. But it's still solid entertainment at absolute minimum.

I had to take a day off work and drive 3 hours to see it.

Fucking limited releases.

Is that depressed fuck ever going to release 3.0+1.0?

Chicken tendies & nip bitches

>character from Son of fucking Godzilla
And the main character of Godzilla 1985

and I have plenty of respect for showa, but if the original guy wants the same level of camp and lightness of the showa series, he doesn't understand that things need to change if they're going to be relevant. It's like complaining that the new Star Wars isn't enough like the original trilogy the fact that it kinda was too alike notwithstanding

>2016
>honestly believing that 4.0 will EVER be made
Look at this man and laugh.

since when does his tail shoot fire? lol. the whle thing is pretty cheesy. critics are pretty much shitting on it

(You)

It's Mikako Ichikawa. Fun fact, she was also one of the major characters in Anno's Cutie Honey movie from 2004.

Haven't watched it yet. Please tell me it was better then that shit show then Godzilla 2014? 2014 was just as bad as Godzilla 1998.

I don't even know why the US even tries to attempt to make Godzilla movies; hell why they even try to make a Power Rangers movie. Why do they insist on ruining Japans beautiful works of art?

Top middle: Araki Hirohito
Top right: Oda Eiichiro
Second from bottom, right: Otomo Katsuhiro
Bottom right: Ito Junji

Am I correct?

> critics are pretty much shitting on it
Any credibility they had was shot with the Ghostbusters (2016) debacle earlier this year. Besides, Japanese critics and audiences loved it. And most here seem to enjoy it too.

Yeah. I've been trying to figure them out.

Top row: Naruto guy, JoJo guy, Oda
Second row: ?, Toriyama, ?
Third row: ? (looks like the doctor from Eva though), Rumiko Takahashi, ?
Fourth row: Miyazaki, ?, Otomo
Fifth row: ?, ?, Ito

He's full of shit anyway, every western review I've seen has praised it, Forbes, Business insider, RogerEbert.com, even garbage buzzfeed-tier shit like GQ have given it great reviews

>>we're all gonna be 1st world nations someday
>freely allows Mudslime cuckoldry

Streams where

This

For the US movies I want them to try out the staples of the Showa era like Mothra, Ghidora, Rodan, ect.

But for Japan, I'd like them to leave the showa comfort zone, and either make all new monsters, or use some of the one-hit-wonders from the heisei and millennium era.

I was expecting worse before I saw the trailer, i'm gonna torrent definitely.

Also Evangelion Rebuild 4, when?

>this horrible thing is cuter than Minilla

haha yeah cringe! Epic fail, right?

Which is the best baby Godzilla of the three?

>If only Anno had killed himself just after EoE.

You mean before, right? EoE was a disgrace to the original series.

Would have been revelevant yesterday

Hell of a lot better. Had to drink throughout 2014 Godzilla to finish it.
I really enjoyed this movie.

That plus the talk of Godzillas rapid evolution and possibility of wings makes me think that other kaijus are going to spout out of godzilla and evolve into different beings. Maybe a godrodan or godghidora.

Chickenzilla best grill

Am I the only one that liked 2014?

I mean, mainly the end parts, I didn't give a fuck about the main guy and his qt wife. Walter White was a cool character though. But when those bugs start wrecking shit and then eventually gojirra shows up and gives the momma bug the Kiss of Death.

I dunno. It's no masterpiece but I enjoyed it.

Yeah the new monsters were pretty cool and the atomic breath scene was awesome, but it was too little in a shit farm for me.
I was led to believe Cranston was going to be a big part, but is only in the beginning, just to be replaced by some dude I didn't care about.
It had some cool parts, but not enough for me to recommend it.

I liked it too. I thought the final battle between Godzilla and the MUTOs was one of the best daikaiju fights in film. It was as good as we could have gotten from an American studio in my humble opinion.

That's a pretty nice pic, do you mind if I save that?

Outside of Walter White (first 30 min), the human element is completely underwhelming. Aaron Taylor Johnson was not compelling enough to carry the film and this is a fatal blow because the human drama is the core of the story. Monster stuff is kept in the background and the teasing is frustrating because how weak everything else is. The second act was borderline intolerable and the third act is simply okay. And I strongly dislike the score.

is that a penis?

Apparently Shin Godzilla got Anno fucking hyped to work on 4.0.

Not that it matters since 3.0 ruined the Rebuilds.

Nope. It's his tail.

>was just as bad as Godzilla 1998.

1998 was better than 2014.

2014 had a more faithful Godzilla, but 1998 was a better Kaiju movie and far more fun than 2014.

2014 was literally "Cocktease: A Godzilla story" We didn't even get to watch the big fight at the end.

>Not that it matters since 3.0 ruined the Rebuilds.
Loving Every Laugh

> Not that it matters since 3.0 ruined the Rebuilds.
It did? People keep trying to convince me it's an underappreciated masterpiece and one of Anno's best works.

Nice pepe

Is this dubbed or subbed in theaters?

Gamera. They had a trailer for it a year ago and retracted it saying "I-it w-was jus a short for the fans". Eat a dick, make a movie.

Is this why the birthrate in Japan so low now? All those girls are ugly

Wow way to get that totally wrong, it was made as a pitch for a new movie and that was said from the start.

>For the US movies I want them to try out the staples of the Showa era like Mothra, Ghidora, Rodan, ect.
To be fair they're all gonna be in Godzilla 2.

Anno raised the bar. Daiei/Kadokawa might have to reevaluate.

Anno directed it.

That's because Shin has a smaller budget. You can't expect the returns "proportional to the budget" when you scale it up.
Just like you can't expect a lizard or a moth to be scaled up 100 times and still live.

Almost 500.000 $ on USA the first day, a little shitty if you ask me but it is a limited release.

Pretty good considering it's a subtitled film, is only in 487 theaters and received zero advertising before movies or on TV.

If pulls around this much its entire run (one week), it might make about $3 million by next Tuesday.

kys

There is still no WEBDL that's what's wrong.

Script

Also the design looks like it was made by a 12yo retarded child.

>sooper long tail
>a billion razor sharp teeth
>tiny arms because T-rex has tiny arms

confirm

Are people really this stupid?

>I wanted a hero to root for!!!!!

holy pleb

I saw it three times. I might have seen it a fourth time but things were against it

Nothing. I went in expecting a goofy, dumb, bad movie to laugh at and came away having been actually invested in the movie and thinking it was good. I was very pleasantly surprised with the whole thing, it was legitimately a good movie.

AVGN Shin Godzilla (aka Godzilla Resurgence) 2016 Movie Review

youtube.com/watch?v=uxElq1GXav8

I would gladly see it two more times if I had the expendable cash and had they continued showing it here. One showing and it's now gone. Totally worth catching though. Even if I sat second row.

The only thing I took issue with was the fact that the plan to freeze Godzilla by coagulating its blood made zero fucking sense.

>Godzilla's body is a nuclear reactor that runs extremely hot
>it has to cool itself in the water after being on land for too long
>it's described as having a "blood cooling system"
>when it first comes to land it ejects hot blood from its body

Coagulating its blood should OVERHEAT it, not fucking FREEZE it. Stop the movement of coolant in your car and tell me if it makes the engine hotter or colder. It made zero sense that coagulating its blood made its body temperature drop so low that all of its skin turned to ice, it should have started melting down, unable for its blood to circulate to facilitate the blood cooling mechanism.

this is playing in a theater near me tomorrow
should I go see it?

Yes, it's great.

Kinda pathetic to be honest.
There's not just one way to make a good story, we don't need a generic good guy and a love interest,

it's not horrible
but it suffers greatly by not getting out of its own way
the buildup isn't effective because it relies on boring characters
hell, the black bus driver is more interesting than the MC
once they actually let you see the monster fighting in earnest, it becomes amazing
but it's just not enough to bring the movie above "okay"

Time to say things I hate about it. I have waited so long to post these.

1. Rando is overpowered among other things. He was always right because he insisted on the impossible things.

2. Other bureaucrats are made incompetent just to contrast Rando.

One thing that bothers me is when the old guys don't believe in giant monsters at first, the chief of staff guy told Rando "Don't argue when the conclusion is decided"
So in the end this scene is more a cliche criticism on bureaucratic culture than about the true reaction

But is it fair to call the old guys bureaucratic, just because they can't accept a giant monster right away?

it's more fair to say that here Anno is privileging his guy by making the old guys look bad

3. Godzilla is not "nuclear powered". I am surprised that no one has problem with this

4. Huur duur Japan is a victim of international politics

Well, that plan is a metaphor of cooling the nuclear reactor during 2011 eartquake.
Whole movie is full of metaphor that japanese easily understand.

When he turned down Toho Godzilla proposal, he said he was in a depression caused by Rebuild

Now he is pumped up because people like Shin?
He must be bipolar

>Well, that plan is a metaphor of cooling the nuclear reactor during 2011 eartquake.

That's fine, but their method was still nonsensical because coagulating blood isn't the same as lowering its temperature and halting the pumping of coolant in a system causes overheating, not supercooling.

Everyone knows he is.

I think the implication was that if Gojira couldn't keep his blood flowing, his internal reactor would shut off automatically

Godzilla is not a reactor. Annoying changed the cannon.
He is powered by the decay heat of the new radioactive element, which is literally transmutated from water and air by the cell membrane.

Still it's impossible to freeze up.

>hype as fuck for a true godzilla kino
>pay 5 fucking confederate greenbacks
>no dub

Be honest you weabo faggots, the dub is part of the charm. I really wanted it to be dubbed.

>>pay 5 fucking confederate greenbacks

Fuck you, it was $11 in my city.

The cooling coagulant shut down his internal cooling systems since he didn't need to cool himself. With that shut down everything else shuts down

Sure, it makes sense that he'll shut down if he can't cool himself as a sort of natural failsafe, but his body also then supercools below freezing and a layer of ice forms over all his skin.

4. All muh autistic realism
All muh nerdy girl is the genius biologist
Hey how much does the monster weigh?
And what is that beam breath from his mouth?

How can he target so many flying objects so far away? How can he even target 3 B2 bombers?

If he is so smart why doesn't he conserve energy by shooting smaller beams?
Since Predator drones can only fire smaller missiles, which he doesn't even blink at, why doesn't he stop shooting at smaller missiles and just take them?

And why don't the humans bomb him with bunker killer again?

5. That idiot can't even close his mouth

Yes I know it's a metaphor for water injection in Fulushima incident. But if it's up to me I would inject from the wound on his back.

6. In the injection operation, American military volunteered and are credited in Rando's formal speech.
China provided a high pressure water pump in actual Fukushima incident, but this is credited as "that guy's personal connection in Shanghai"

6. My biggest problem with all these: the last operation is fucking fascist.
Rando didn't have to go. But he had to do it because he likes to risk his life.

They had so much fun doing muh realism meetings and prep. Did they ever pretend to consider that the injection operation might fail? Are all the volunteers ready to be nuked?
In Rando's speech he only acknowledged the risk of being hit by Godzilla's breath, but he forgot about the nuclear bombs.
They have no plan to evacuate the volunteers in case the injection fails

It doesn't shut down its cooling. It shut down his chemical reaction in cells

Every series will change the canon. At least this one isn't directly tying into '54. Godzillasaurus didn't exist in Showa. GMK had him powered by restless souls.

There hasn't been a good Godzilla Dub in about 50 years

>good

that's the point.

the audience kept on laughing and at the end people beside me were saying "I DON"T UNDERSTAND WHY DID THEY LEAVE GODZILLA FROZEN LOL"
fucking retards all of them
the movie is too smart for north americans

This movie is terrible in every respect. 2014 was miles better. Terrible comic relief, designs were dogshit in comparision, no structure, needlessly long, and 2deep4u bullshit about how their land would be destroyed when the US and UN agreed to a full restoration project.

The design in the beginning was fucking atrocious too.

I liked it on the whole but did anyone else think the bumbling ineffective bureaucratic government joke was overplayed?

I was laughing the first 30 minutes but by the halfway point I realized that it was essentially what the whole movie was about...

this movie was utter shit. godzilla looked stupid as fuck

The only reason you could call him the next (potential) Miyazaki is because Kimi no Na wa was such a hit, not because he already was the next Miyazaki and people therefore went to see his movie.

Numbers is what it's all about. If his movies continue to be hits, then yeah you can call him the next Miyazaki. That's what made Miyazaki special. He kept making hit after hit without sequels or tie-ins to popular franchises.

This bitch looked unbelievably good in this.

He was talking about the design, which is true. It looks much better than this.

one of my biggest gripes is that literally everything had labels, every area, building, professional title, helicopter even different weapons had their names displayed. Having english subtitles over the japanese was enough text on the screen already.

Welcome to Anno. Enoy your stay.

I think the government stopped being ineffective after the first landing

After that it went into emergency they stopped talking about legality

But I guess then it became their traumatic experience of living through the earthquake

She looked better when she was in an African aides worker movie

Directed by based Mikii Takashi (actually based. Not meme'd as Anno)

Just to clarify why did they leave his body after freezing it?
Godzilla wasn't dead, they just slowed it down right? And they ran out of materials to freeze it anymore

Just got back from watching it. It was good.

I didn't quite get this, either. Why didn't they at least make plans to relocate it?

It was ok. I get the beuracracy of the first act was a joke and insult to the Japanese government but it should have stayed in the first act as it makes for a boring movie. Also a lack of gravity; we get like 10 seconds of the aftermath and effect on civilians but that's it. The music didn't help either.
I get they were gping for an artsy fartsy vibe by reusing old goji sound effects but it took me right out of the movie.
Seriously though above all else, I thought it was going to be a much darker and more serious movie where we really get to see the damage to the city and it's people like the very original, but it was ultimately godzilla 2014. Not too dramatic, not too silly

You must be real fun at parties

a couple of the CGI shots could have been better.
just got home from a showing, shocked to see a packed theater.

the entire opening with all of those politicians was basically satire. it was edgy and a bit overblown, but satirical nonetheless.
I really liked those scenes with Rando and his crew just bouncing info off of each other to try and come up with a solution.

Gabara best Kaiju

>implying people on Cred Forums go to parties

>it was edgy

I did too. They had a lot of great personality

I loved the scene where the MC was announcing to the people, like Hitler, that they might die but they'll be doing the best to save the Japanese people

RIP CRANE UNIT 1

Payback time.

>yfw the lyrics of the main theme music that plays when Godzilla unleashes all the lasers are sung from Godzilla's perspective
>and also that they're sung in english

the fact that i couldn't face fuck Satomi Ishihara's lips everytime she was on screen

also the 1 week only release for this masterpiece

they really did. I'm a bit bothered by the eding though. even in a best case scenario, I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a giant frozen godzilla with the possibility of its remaining cells growing into something worse.
If I recall, they didn't use the coagulant on the random piles of flesh and blood Goji was leaving around the city.

I'm almost certain it's to build up a sequel

I hope Anno does it. He put faith into a faithless man

can anyone clarify what was on godzillas tail at the end, it kind of looked like human/zilla hybrid baby things.

it looked like human corpses

CAMS

WHERE

Just got back from seeing it, it was really good.

The ending battle is a bit underwhelming but that final shot is horrifying were they saying he was going to come back in a few years or something?

If there's a direct sequel it's more than obvious they'll be a huge facility built around Godzilla constantly pumping that coagulant into him but he'll thaw out / be released when a new monster arrives or something goes wrong

This is monster movie 101 shit

they didnt really look human, and why would they be on his tail?

it looked like human skeletons

and i don't know let me go ask the director, hold on

Or maybe you should have a discussion about it on a film & television board?

Tell that to the Prime Minister's snapped neck

Well when they froze him they said he wasn't dead but since he has high radiation heat levels the coolant made him freeze up in a way like hibernation

What a pussy

dont think so boss, also some website claims they are his next evolution.

youtube.com/watch?v=0ydnCEi4ZHE

Really males you think.

No, really. Watch this and you pretty much understand the movie and why the average American audience won't enjoy it as much.

Makes*

I gave my thoughts on it here:

I don't get the hate for the Legendary film as a godzilla fan.

It certainly wasn't the "54 with modern effects" that I wanted or expected out of it (Shin is closer tonally but still isn't quite there) but it was still fine and fun and the climax as hype as fuck. For a godzilla movie it was a bit better then average.

>it's impossible to make real Godzilla movie in US. Because Godilla is a symbol of something and that something never happened on US soil
Sure it is, have it be based around 9/11. Cloverfield did it and Cloverield was great.

I think Monster X/Kaiser Ghidorah would be a good fit given the visual direction and tone that Shin has, he has a similar grostque skeletal look to him, and he similarly evolves like Godzilla does

The human element is almost always underwhelming in godzilla films though

Good point.

B A S E D A N N O

> The human element is almost always underwhelming in godzilla films though
Not all human casts are created equal. Some films have a pretty solid selection of human characters, contrary to popular belief. The brevity and levity of many Toho films (namely most of the early ones) provide for a better time than the solemn, overly long human drama with nothing significant to say that we get with Godzilla '14. Plus the ensemble casts of Toho films are much more entertaining than the dull one man show of G14.

Pretty underwhelming. I was okay with the bureaucracy in the first hour of it, but right when I thought it was going to pick up a little Godzilla straight up fell asleep.

>Just as it had in the real earthquake and Fukushima

Oh, yes. Please explain to me how America is to blame for an earthquake (and subsequently Fukushima).