Is there even a director or production team alive talented enough to make a real Lovecraftian film?

Is there even a director or production team alive talented enough to make a real Lovecraftian film?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_based_on_works_by_H._P._Lovecraf
youtu.be/jWijkeEzCb8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Del Toro

Take a look at good adaptations
There's two types
1. Makes a great movie, changes the source material, requires director with original artistic vision ie, Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange, Le Salaire de la Peur etc
2. Makes a heavily criticized movie that would have been good if it hadn't been for the fact that they didn't actually come up with the story ie Watchmen, Cloud Atlas, Fight Club

What do we want? Something that rips off the source material to accurately represent his stories, or something that stays faithful to the stories but could potentially feel shallow because you're just watching a book?

I guess a Lovectaftian movie could be done, but a Lovecraft adaptation would be really hard, unless it's Shadow Over Innsmouth or maybe Charles Dexter Ward.
Stuff like the silent Call of Cthulhu are good if you're already a fan and familiar with the source material, but it has none of the impact of the original story and I don't think anyone who's not already a Lovecraft fan would give a shit.

it needs a studio that will:

> make it an all male cast
> main character is mostly in solitude
> no love interest
> nebbish or low key actor
> monster is alluded to rather than shown
> cultish aspects
> traces of madness which make the main character the audience question their sanity
> bleak ending

Literally John Carpenter's The Thing.

Snyder

fuck do you mean even if a movie isn't an adaption you use a screenplay by a writer, and if you adapt something you still have to change it to film form

Ghostbusters is unironically the greatest Lovecraft film. It's about a team of scientists who deal with otherworldly entities using technology. The threat escalates when the big bad is revealed to be an extradimensional god and madness and chaos erupt resulting in a giant marshmallow man walking down Manhattan which causes Egon to be terrified beyond rational thought.

Mist was pretty good. Though I do want to see one based in the 1920s about cultists and cosmic horrors.

Based on a story written by a contemporary of Lovecraft's that was heavily influenced by him, so far from being a coincidence.

i don't understand what u said

I'm talking specifically about book to film adaptations that were good
they're markedly different from regular movies because they have a base work that's already known and often has a fanbase.

Raimi's the only with with the balls to truly do Lovecraft's work justice.

Lovecraft wouldn't have been fond of all that spiritualism influenced nonsense that Dan Aykroyd took very seriously (and made for a better movie), but then again that is given a sufficient pseudo-scientific explanation that fits with the movie's internal logic, so he might have let it slide.

LEO

I am.

The Ninth Gate is thoroughly Lovecraftian.

Not sure. I love him but he's too whacky for a true Lovecraftian film.
What I'd love to see him do is a Plastic Man movie. If it was a few years ago, it could've even been Bruce Campbell in the lead (although the effects would've been shit).

Most people who are Lovecraft fans are fucking retarded because they think his stories are about cults or cthulhu when in fact they are about the unknown and alien and how powerless we are against it despite what we think we know. So every "Lovecraft" influenced work has the same aesthetics but not themes.

unfortunately this
which makes it so unfilmable
anyone who tries doesn't understand what lovecraft created

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_based_on_works_by_H._P._Lovecraf

raimi

Wasn't his Lovecraft movie even going to get backing by James Cameron?

>Patrick O'Brian eh
>if there's one thing worse than niggers it's the irish
Jesus Christ Raimi, it's not the 00's anymore.

>DUDE MUH UNSPEAKABLE HORROR

Except for all of that religio-mystical stuff.
Then again, I saw that as a template when I made pic related a while back, seeing The Ninth Gate as a sort of Satanist Shadow over Innsmouth. Probably wouldn't cast Depp today though.

He's previously stated he'll never adapt Lovecraft due to the author marrying a jewess.

kek

forgot LMAO, you guys can't even meme right

>"lovecraft inspired work"
>normal horror but with tentacles everywhere

Those are "Cthulhu" fans.
Most Lovecraft fans know what's up, but we are fewer and further between.
Also, you're generalizing pretty heavily by saying that everything Lovecraft was about was "the unknown and alien and how powerless we are against it despite what we think we know", though those themes often played a large part.

To be fair, both kinds are fedora as fuck.

I can see it

This is the plebbiest and worst response to OP's question.

This lardass spic cannot handle subtlety and Lovecraft's material in a good way.

FUCK. OFF.

The silent Call of Cthulhu move the HPL Historical Society put out is actually pretty good, and their Whisperer in Darkness is very nearly as well done. Both of them are worth a look.

Yeah. I've seen it. It does a good job of "feeling" like a legit silent film without going to a "grindhouse" fake retro place.

>Liam Neeson plays a man whose wife (and family) goes nuts and turns into decaying ash

Can't see him agreeing to that desu.

youtu.be/jWijkeEzCb8

I thought this was quite good for a fan-made short

they could adapt the shadow over innsmouth

Not like Dagon, where they find the town, and the town is already mixed with the deep ones
Instead place the story when the deep ones begin mixing with innsmouth.
Go full The Fly/From Beyond in the transformations of the inhabitants

"In his house at R'lyeh dead faggot waits dreaming.”

“We live on a placid island of kikes in the midst of black niggers of infinity, and it was not meant that we should take pictures of Spiderman.

>no adaptation would leave in Lovecraft's racism
too bad, I'd love to see a cat named Nigger-Man instead of some censory bullshit

back to funyjunk with you

Mel Gibson. He can tap into the cosmic racism and use that to really show us Lovecraft's cosmic horror.

it would be boring. Lovecraft's novels are all about atmosphere and very little action.

Michael Bay

Raimi was ahead of his time and still managed to pay homage to classic genocides of the past.

But that fucks up the whole thing. The story works because an outsider comes to an already tainted town, otherwise it'd be fucking boring.

The guy who directed Mothman Prophecies.

Tim Burton.......and by that I mean early 90's Tim Burton and only Dunwich Horror, none of the other ones.

Yes, they're called From Software

Lovecraft himself owned a beloved cat by that name until 1904

rip cat

>can kill the gods

I've been looking for this image for years, thank you user.

I don't think you understand how the game works...

Herzog feels right for a Lovecraft project.

The game doesn't understand Lovecraft as much as it understands Solomon Kane.

its asking a lot to turn shitty fiction into a good film

A movie like "A Beautiful Mind" but about Lovecraft would be great.

You don't kill the gods, though. Fucking hell

Also no minorities
If Lovecraft knew a movie with any non-whites was being made about his work he'd bust a tit

Not poster but It still doesn't understand Lovecraft nor do most of Bloodborne's fans.

Lovecraft's "gods" aren't really such, anyway. Humans just perceive them as such because our brains can't grasp something so alien. They're more like beings from different parts of the universe. It's like if an ant met one of those giant jellyfish, how does it even begin to comprehend it?

The one exception I think is Azathoth. I'm partial to writers like Matt Cardon or Thomas Ligotti who have portrayed Azathoth as the primordial chaos that existed before all things, and continues to exist in all of them, since everything in the universe emerged from, and is part of, that chaos. Quoth Ligotti:

>And what was imparted to my witnessing mind was the vision of a world in a trance—a hypnotized parade of beings sleepwalking to the odious manipulations of their whispering masters, those hooded freaks who were themselves among the hypnotized. For there was a power superseding theirs, a power which they served and from which they merely emanated, something which was beyond the universal hypnosis by virtue of its very mindlessness, its awesome idiocy. These cloaked masters, in turn, partook in some measure of godhood, passively presiding as enlightened zombies over the multitudes of the entranced, that frenetic domain of the human.