Why did he never get the respect he deserved? He is never mentioned with every great director in that generation...

Why did he never get the respect he deserved? He is never mentioned with every great director in that generation, yet he surpasses most of them.

Other urls found in this thread:

cineoutsider.com/news/stories/16/10/160106.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Horror is an inherently shallow genre, the best quality of the best horror movies is that they're fun, that's why horror writers are as important to the literary canon as YA fiction authors, they have nothing to contribute

He's done movies other than horror

I often hear him mentioned among critics and filmmakers, but it's always with cautious reserve. The thing is, it's not quite as fashionable as discussing the great auteurs, so people are more inclined to skip him when they rattle off the obvious names. He's kinda like the Poe of cinema; some critics and directors are afraid to sing his praises for fear they won't be taken seriously, yet underneath his films is a wellspring of metaphor and things to pontificate.

Because fags like this guy will complain and call them reddit if they do.

>Horror is an inherently shallow genre,
You are an inherently retarded person who seeks out nothing but shallow horror movies because you have low standards and because they conform to your expectations

John Carpenter isn't the most talented director in the world, but he is the most economical, the most efficient, and that's why he's one of my favorite directors

name 5 films that aren't shallow horror flick with shitty jumpscare
really want to dig that type of film

The Changeling (1980)
Possession
Rosemary's Baby
The Wicker Man (1973)
Don't Look Now

Martyrs
Funny Games
The Exorcist
Repulsion
Antichrist

I'm sure most people would disagree, but I don't consider Halloween to be any more shallow than a film like Cries and Whispers, it just explores different things (as well as some of the same).

I like some of his movies but nothing really excels to the point of greatness. It's all a bit campy. What puts him up there with the greats?

LOL

HAHAHAHA

But all genre films are shallow

I honestly feel bad for people who can't enjoy a good horror film.

Yeah, that's why his best film is Starman.

Cube
The Shining
The Thing
The Exorcist
The Silence of the Lambs
Alien
Psycho

Because his movies are trash. They have one-liners, shallow characters and a dumb plot.

Only reason why The Thing is still discussed nowdays, for example, is because he was a hack and didn't put an ending, and all the "visual clues" are just things he didn't notice since he himself told that they don't matter.

Based /lit/ always telling it like it is

Big Trouble in Little China is a masterpiece, but it underperformed critically and commercially prompting him to retreat from Hollywood.
He would've got the respect he deserved and would've made even more masterpieces if he didn't give up so quickly.

It's too late now. He can never come back. Like every other once great director he turned to shit in the late 90's/early 2000's.

cineoutsider.com/news/stories/16/10/160106.html

He's getting a retrospective season at the BFI this month and next.

Escape from New York is probably my favorite Carpenter Film, but if you look at the films he directed there are plenty of great films in there. All the Kurt Russell/Carpenter Films are enjoyable, even the worst on the list (Escape from L.A.) is still watchable.
Pleb Confession: I still haven't watched Dark Star.

Nice rebuttal faglord.

S A M E F A G
A
M
E
F
A
G

It just isn't very good. I'd argue it's the only bad film he made, because even Ghosts of Mars is schlock good, but that is not enjoyable on any level. Got us John and Tom Skerrit tho

Nosferatu
Night of the Demon
I Walked With A Zombie
Night Of The Living Dead
Carnival Of Souls

very typical, wait until a directors nearly dead before you do a 180 on them

please take yourself out of the gene pool

His movies are corny and fun to watch. I love the atmosphere and music they have in them. I feel bad for fucking losers like
Who can't enjoy them lol virgins