Is it time for him to hang it up?

Is it time for him to hang it up?

Yup

yes. but really, he should have stayed retired and gone out on top, after the 2 top tier peices of cinema he made in the 70's.
nothing he has made since would have been missed and i say that as a fan.

No. I'm going to see Voyage of Time this week. It's gonna be awesome.

everything he made is great
if he stayed retired no one would remember him and probably you would not see his first two films.

Not until he makes Hot Tub Boy

Lucky fucker
I was planning on driving to NYC to see it but it's not even fucking playing there

I would say yes, at this point it's starting to get a little embarrassing. He should have gone out with The Tree of Life which I think was his magnum opus.

No, Knight of Cups may very well be his best film

>Perhaps no film in the history of cinema follows the movement of memory as faithfully, as passionately, or as profoundly as Terrence Malick’s new film, “Knight of Cups.” It’s an instant classic in several genres—the confessional, the inside-Hollywood story, the Dantesque midlife-crisis drama, the religious quest, the romantic struggle, the sexual reverie, the family melodrama—because the protagonist’s life, like most people’s lives, involves intertwined strains of activity that don’t just overlap but are inseparable from each other. The movie runs less than two hours and its focus is intimate, but its span seems enormous—not least because Malick has made a character who’s something of an alter ego, and he endows that character with an artistic identity and imagination as vast and as vital as his own.

>As such, “Knight of Cups” is one of the great recent bursts of cinematic artistry, a carnival of images and sounds that have a sensual beauty, of light and movement, of gesture and inflection, rarely matched in any movie that isn’t Malick’s own. Here, he—and his cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki—surpass themselves. Where “The Tree of Life” is filled with memories, is even about memory, “Knight of Cups” is close to a first-person act of remembering, and the ecstatic power of its images and sounds is a virtual manifesto, and confession, of the cinematic mind at work. It’s a mighty act of self-portraiture in dramatic action and in directorial creation.

its better to be a legend, an enigma, which is what he was before coming out of retirement.

now he has lost that cache and has polarized his audiences i.e this thread.

Would it have been better for everyone if he just died at a relatively younger age so he wouldn't have to see the pain of his drop in quality?

It was so good I immediately went home from the theater, got a (private) copy and watched it again the same day.

>FREEDOM

Also watched it twice in the first 24 agreed. Appreciated it more the second time.

yes

Makes me think, I really hope Von Trier never gets this stale and washed up that I feel the need to basically fool myself into believing he's still relevant.

To the wonder is one of his great films

I never said he was "relevant" as such. He is an artist I appreciate. You think Von Trier is relevant though? To what exactly, that Malick isnt?

underrated post

Von Trier continues to make unique and interesting films that actually provoke (for better or worse); whereas Malick seems to be too heavily concerned with style at this point. His last 2 films had the substance of a long Gucci commercial . It just seems like the ol' creative Well has run dry.

>I really hope Von Trier never gets this stale and washed up
But he hasn't made a good film since Europa...

But you have no taste...