This has to be the most boring horror movie I've ever seen. And this is suppose to be a classic?

This has to be the most boring horror movie I've ever seen. And this is suppose to be a classic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kzm9ZoHambo
youtu.be/ocgj9tewHso
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You watch it for the camp and titties. WhenI was younger, it was sorta scary, but these days, with all the horror available at will, I get why it's not scary to people.
CAMP AND TITTIES
Halloween holds up alright.
Slasher movies just aren't that scary anymore.

If you didn't grow up in the 80's or at least the the 90's, then I wouldn't expect anyone to like it. Most of the appeal for me (and i think most people) is the nostalgia.

I only enjoyed the panty scenes and that Annie chick at the beginning. Other than that, the acting was terrible and it didn't show much killing in it, just bodies found with their throats slit.

It's a very slow movie, barely anything happens. Most of the movie is just boring, flat characters talking about boring, pointless things. It's factually a bad movie, but people love it for the atmosphere, myself included. It's hard to articulate the appeal but its just really comfy. Same applies to most of the sequels, although the sequels are more fast paced due to the higher body counts and normally have whacky gimmicks to hold your attention. Parts 4 and 6 are the closest the series get to having objectively good movies but Parts 1 to 3 were always my favourite due to the comfiness.

it was made in a time where someone dying in movies was still an impactful event

the culture around blockbuster films is so different now compared to back then it's barely recognizable

>CAMP AND TITTIES: A Friday the 13th Retrospective

about 90% of most of these movies are boring characters slowly wandering around in the dark shouting other boring character's names before a large plank of wood in a hockey mask steps out and [gory discretion shot]'s them to death because the mpaa made them cut out all the gore

Part 1 has all of the gore intact on the DVD. The cut gore in Parts 2 - 6, and 8 are apparently forever lost.

Yeah the effects are bad and the pacing on that one isn't what you'll like if you've seen a movie from the 90s or onwards. It's mostly waiting for what you know is going to come, and then it does and it looks so fake it takes you out of the experience.
I like the rest of the series more, the first one had the best cast of characters though.
If you want to see a decent Friday the 13th movie, watch Final Girls

It wasnt even Jason in the first movie, it was his old ass mother who was a stealthy killer and able to drag lifeless bodies around undetected and throw them through windows and shit, but struggles to take down a scared camp counselor.

No wonder Kevin Bacon didn't show up for the film's cast reunion.

The chick getting the axe to the head was shocking to me when I saw it. Also Jason's mom did a good job even though she just took the role for money.

3 and 4 have the best characters. The axe in the face and Kevin Bacon's death scene are solid, the effects still hold up.

Final Girls was fun but got boring as fuck in the last 30 minutes. Great idea, but the potential wasn't fully exercised. The movie is offensive in how the movie the characters are sucked into is R rated while Final Girls itself is PG-13. The kills are pathetic and offensively bad considering the movie is supposed to be a tribute to slasher movies.

I liked the effects, still looks better than the CGI shit we have today. Tom Savini does a good job with the gory effects.

The transformation scene in Demons is another good example, done by a different special effects artist.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kzm9ZoHambo

I bought the uncut version and still thought the violence was weak. The only ones that stood out the most was the axe to the face and arrow through the throat. other than that, its just throat slits.

No shit you think the violence is weak. It's 2016, the likes of Human Centipede is mainstream. Back in 1980 this was pretty brutal stuff.

try this. some prime work by savini

That wasn't Savini but the gore is excellent. Savini's best work is undeniably The Prowler.

shit, i was def thinking of the prowler. that pitchfork in the shower scene in particular. similar looking bad guy :p

I thought the bayonet through the top of the head was most brutal. The eyes rolling to the back of the head, the grunts the guy makes, the way his head and arm started to spasm, some excellent craftsmanship.

These. Although I'm young, I watched all of those slashers as a kid so they appeal to me. But like the second post I quoted said, that's basically the only reason I like them. They bring me great memories and I just find them comfy as hell because of that, especially the first three.
I wouldn't recommend any of them to someone just looking to watch a good horror movie, though. They're bad, dated and the person would get mad at me for saying they should check them out. Same goes for all those other 80s horror franchises. Without the nostalgia, I think it'd be pretty hard to grasp what makes them enjoyable for me.
Kek

Normies can enjoy some other 80s horrors. For example Elm Street 1 and 3 are fun enough to appeal to a modern crowd.

I remember watching this and being very disappointed by all of the obviously cut gore. I need to check out the uncut version, people say it's excellent.

I agree that the Friday the 13th series is boring and repetitive. They should only be watched with a group of rowdy friends who make fun of the movies while watching them. If you want something a little more entertaining, try the Nightmare on Elm Street series instead.

Agreed. I actually recommended the first A Nightmare On Elm Street to a normie friend when he asked me for some old horror movies to watch (he knows I'm into them) and he liked it overall, although apparently finding it kinda dated. I'd never recommend any other from that era though. I remember thinking of saying the guy should check Halloween out, because it isn't goofy like other franchises from that time, but didn't. I love the movie but he'd probably just find it boring.

The sequels are a lot more entertaining. Part 6 is great

If it wasn't for Jason in the sequels, this would've been forgotten about. It's not good. None of the F13 films are, honestly. Watch Re-Animator or Evil Dead instead.

Part 1 is known to be awful though isn't it? Jason isn't even the killer.

I love Part 6. It's when they officially stopped taking themselves seriously and it's great fun.
Re-Animator is fucking great

Jeffrey Combs is great. Is the 3rd Re-Animator worth checking out? I've watched the original and Bride of Re-Animator.

all i remember about the 3rd one is a disembodied penis has sexual relations with a rat

I've never watched Bride and the third one desu. How's Bride btw? Should I watch it?

Bride isn't as good, but it's close enough to where you feel like you didn't waste your time. If you want more Herbert, then you'll like it.

I agree. If wasn't for the sequels this would've been buried under all the countless, and better, other slasher movies of the time.

What is Essential Friday?

>Part 4
>Part 6
>Part 7
>Part 8
>Freddy vs Jason

That's just my opinion.

Thanks senpai, sounds good to me. Will watch.

Any of them. If you want to enjoy a Jason movie with your friends, any Friday the 13th will work. Or if you liked one Friday the 13th, you'll probably like them all to some degree since it's mostly the same stuff.

they're all the same structurally until 6 where jason becomes a super zombie. 7 is okay but the neutered violence ruins it. 8 is pretty bad and i really like 9 just for the departure from monotony, humor and cartoony characters that actually manage to feel real. 10 can go fuck itself and fvj has good visual flair (same director as bride of chucky) but has an overly complicated conspiracy plot that bogs down the story

You're right OP. the remake is far more superior

It has some really good stuff like finding the body in the Laundromat, but overall I found the remake more cohesive and enjoyable.

Best Girl

See the recent My Bloody Valentine for a good slasher flick

Go play COD

It's a b-classic. Did you watch the uncut?

Yeah, it's kinda bland. Nightmare OES and Halloween are way more fun compared to it.

I've not seen any of the other F13 movies, but I thought the original was the best slasher film I've ever seen. I love the dark stormy summer setting. There are nods to Halloween, Psycho and Evil Dead, but they make them their own. The occasion POV shots are used frequently enough that you aren't sure when you're seeing from the killer's perspective, creating a paranoid atmosphere.

F13 came before The Evil Dead. How does it have a nod to ED?

Besides sharing the cabin in the woods trope they have nothing in common.

Watch your attitude.

nah this movie fucking owns

thought it was gonna be way campier but actually had genuine atmosphere and suspense. mrs voorhees was fucking creepy. and the music at the end was really nice. it exceeded my expectations overall.

The truth is that horror is quite possibly the easiest genre to succeed in because it's one of the longest running and some of the best and most successful tropes have been basically perfected for decades, so if everyone, for whatever reason, see a horror film that's somewhat unique, it just has to be competent to scare people, and people will remember it, even if it doesn't hold up very well.

I liked how they did the first movie entirely in the credits sequence and then jumped right into Jason killing people years later, even kept the sack on head aspect before halfway through he finds the hockey mask and becomes iconic Jason.

Agreed.

She's better when she's killing people left and right than when she hurls herself open palms first at a terrified girl

Blew me away when the girl at the beginning dies. Could have sworn she was supposed to be the final girl the way it was set up

A'hem, step aside shits, best Ft13th scene coming through.

Was he autistic?

youtu.be/ocgj9tewHso