Screen writing / filmmaking General

what projects are you currently working on user? tell us about them. tell us your process. link us to anything you might have done.

Other urls found in this thread:

uniformswarehouse.com/
drive.google.com/file/d/0B-YGZcCILyECelFDV3JuVHRYNTQ/view
youtube.com/watch?v=K-XIm_r6EQs
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3rZJYEz7Rg
vimeo.com/155795296
vimeo.com/113476597
youtube.com/watch?v=fp9vp5jjSG0
youtube.com/watch?v=gXAZXjTcgAU
dailymotion.com/video/x2nl4e9
join.skype.com/IR718GCXNU4M
youtube.com/watch?v=vgc1WXS21Vc
youtube.com/watch?v=OPbxMgYfeDU
youtube.com/watch?v=ey4IvETF1sQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Me and some friends are filming something and mainly. Anyone know where I can get a couple proper police costumes, or at least passable?

youd be surprised how much a cheap costume is 'passable' on film.

if you want a really real look, id just go to any local stores that might have it. i dont know hwere you live but theres one right down the street from me that has military, army, navy, and police uniforms for sale, but i do live in los angeles.

if you just google 'police costumes' you'll probably find a decent one within the first two pages.

It's halloween. Go to thrift store or costume shop

I'm a young writer who would appreciate some creative input on my scripts.

I have a mini series planned, 8 episodes. ten pages each. all the major beats planned, but open to new ideas.

I find it REALLY hard to write without input. i do all teh scripting myself, i just need someone to help me layout the ground work of each episode.

in return, I offer the same, though I'm also willing to type for others. looking for REAL creative investment not general notes. I'm the kind of guy who invests really well in toher peoples works, so much so that I sometimes eve nwrite 'example scripts' to show that on my last collab i ended up writing the first draft scripts for them as well.

if anyone is interested lets talk

[email protected]

please do not hit me up if you arent free to talk at least three times a week via skype.

Are you in Melbourne, Australia?
You use to be able to get them real cheap from the Police Press Office.

I'm not even kidding! For student films they offered to do traffic management and the whole lot.

Most important thing is knowing what Law Officers in wherever your film is set look like. I mean British coppers look way different to New York's finest, and even state by state, county by county there's going to be variations.

Have you tried Sit downs and tippy tappys? I hear it works really well.

Nah Florida. I might use this site uniformswarehouse.com/

Seems cheap enough and I can probably sew on the patches.

Write your own scripts, Mr. Goldthwait.

>tactical polos

hahaha! It's like if Archer had to describe the baneposting costume

But seriously those prices look all right. Maybe hit us up with a picture of a copper from the county your film is set in just to be sure?

Dude you're offering literally nothing. You're asking for a collaborator and we have no idea what genre you're interested in.

>I find it REALLY hard to write without input.
Sounds like you just need to work on your craft though.
If you can't write without external prodding, then you don't care about it enough to do it.

May I suggest if you're looking for collabs, start off with an idea, a common point of influence -- then if there's a like-minded individual y'all can work together.

what is a tippy tappy? also what is a sit down?

like i said i do all the writing myself and i have a premise for each episode and all the arcs. filler details.

im offering the same thing im asking for, collaboration. i thought i mentioned cape shit, but im hardly a super villain for that.

>if you cant write withotu extenral prodding then you dont care enough about it do it

speak for yourself. I've been writing for 8 years and have produced several web series, i went to film school, i live in hollywood and until recently i write near daily.

go ahead and walk into a writers room and say 'YOU ALL NEED TO WORK ON YOUR CRAFT'.

people work together. even when a single writer is credited for a movie hes usually plotitng out that movie with director or other creative folks.

there is literally nothing wrong with collaborating. I already wrote out pilots, and soem sequel episodes for two of my current projects, im not a bad person for not being able to write an entire mini series without input.

but im sure you're an accomplished writer with plenty of projects under your belt so fuck you too.

>ITS WRONG TO COLLAB THO

fuck you too

>tfw master over-under cable wrapping

Here's a short I wrote the other night:
>drive.google.com/file/d/0B-YGZcCILyECelFDV3JuVHRYNTQ/view

It's been a year since I wrote anything, so my technique is off.

says we need to request access. cant ya make it open

FUCK alright

should work now.

>im offering the same thing im asking for, collaboration.
ON WHAT? you left that supremely important part out out.
Don't be so butthurt just because I deigned to ask you why people should collaborate with you?
You said it yourself, you find it hard to work without input

Are you making a horror comedy? A musical? A philosophical essay film on the patterns in oyster shells?

I never said collaborating is bad. I said that if you find it "hard to work" without input, then your work ethic is probably fucked. Maybe you're just going through a bad patch, I don't know you, this is an anonymous board for fucksakes, I can't be expected to know every little thing about you and your working process and how many years or days you've been working on things.

Stop being butthurt. I'm only trying to help.

Finally getting a couple projects off the ground and I'm so fucking jazzed about it. My gay friend is having me adapt his short dramatic stage monologue (which I plan to shoot in a House Of Cards "talking to the camera" style), and after that I've got an old script that's basically just a long "To Be Continued" gag even though that's way past it's expiration and I've finally started actually watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. After that I'm doing a stoner horror comedy for this HorrorHound Film Festival.

Man I'm so fucking EXCITED to actually get projects off the ground but I'm worried since the only work I've actually completed is a high school horror short and a noir comedy short with some fuckawful sound (some of you may remember it).

try to avoid mentioning camera descriptions. Describe the shot in otherways. It takes you out of the script.

Set the scene more. Hallways all look different.

No character description on rick. Should also be in ALL CAPS. Also the toy car.

'A chill up his spine' Is somewhat unfilmable, figure out an action or a scene description instead.

You gotta make the bathroom either another location, mini-slug it, or describe what's going on from outside.

Describe the size of the spot in the first place. I was confused about the slamming of the foot and what the spot did for a while.

Unfortunately, i've seen shorts about cartoony holes to nothingness before. So I can't say it's original enough.

Also you need to do a read through and just go over basic stuff, figuring out what doesn't make sense and formatting. EG: character dialogue in parenthesis. Simple shit really.

I've seen worse from people who haven't written in a year.

congrats.
I'm failing at ass + chair + typing personally

That's fuckin' spooky m8. Good use of stage direction, not a word over what needs to be done, and since it's so damn simple it's that much more effective. I'd have a bit more panicked confusion in the dialogue around the "IT'S NOT FUCKING MOVING" part.

>Man I'm so fucking EXCITED to actually get projects off the ground but I'm worried since the only work I've actually completed is a high school horror short and a noir comedy short with some fuckawful sound (some of you may remember it).
Don't think I've seen it. But as I've mentioned this on these threads before.
Your first film will suck.
Your second one will to.
Your third one you will maybe finally start to show some promise.

Now you can take that two ways: either the defeatist attitude that you're always gonna suck, or the optimist attitude that means you're gonna rocket to greatness. I look at things the optimist way.

I'm happy to hear whenever someone's stoked and getting things off the ground, that's great news user and I wish you all the best and hope you suprise yourself.

Just keep making shit! That's all you need to do.

*keep making stuff

I shouldn't have said "shit". Aim high!

Ill make sure to look in to those. I just kind of wrote it up right quick cause I liked the idea. I put the bare minimum just so I could have a structure and edit more to it later. Maybe change how its told, the characters etc.

>cartoony holes to nothingness before.
its more like just an area on the ground, not really a hole. I wanted to explain that more.

Thanks man. I thought it was simple enough too. Hardest part was wondering what he was gonna say when he came out of there.

Thanks man, I'm hoping I surprise myself as well.

Here's the shorts, if you wanna take a gander.
>youtube.com/watch?v=K-XIm_r6EQs
>youtube.com/watch?v=Y3rZJYEz7Rg

I think there's a caveat to this - cheap Halloween costumes often look really cheap. What might look good in real life can look underwhelming on screen.

You don't need a lot of money, but you need thought. Lots of little details (that might look ridiculous in person) add a lot of texture and depth on screen. Thrift stores and antique shops often have tons of cool stuff.

>. What might look good in real life can look underwhelming on screen.
Yeah the opposite does happen. Studio costumes look crappy IRL, because they look way different under studio lighting and colour correction.

It's how actors go around in comic-con in actual studio costumes unrecognised. Because shit looks different IRL.

>its more like just an area on the ground, not really a hole. I wanted to explain that more.
I saw it as a spotlight but I think if it's not really that you oughta make it like sort of a buzzing glitched out thing.

Ash Vs. Evil Dead has a demon that fits what I'm going for.

I'm gonna be a slav for Halloween and came up with the idea of doing a short. Basically the slav is coming into the US for the first time to meet his brother (who is pretty americanized at this point). Then they basically go out to see the city. It's intended to be a comedy. I don't know the style I should write/shoot it in though.
I could do it in a documentary style where they both know why the camera's are there. This makes it easier to throw in funny shit because they can say stuff directly to the camera, sorta like how they do in The Office". You also don't really need a proper story (conflict/climax/resolution/etc.) Which is nice because I can just throw in all the funny shit without worrying about whether or not it comes together as a whole in the end. On the other hand, I DO want to try and write a proper, short film narrative and just incorporate humor along the way. Problem is, it *probably* won't be as funny. Thoughts? Story recommendations?

Forgot to add, the mockumentary style will probably more "accessible" so it has more potential to go viral.

Hey, not the guy you were replying to, but interesting stuff.

Are you in high school now? I think the biggest things I could recommend to is:

>Invest in sound
Simply, it's more important than visuals. Get the mic near the actors. I'd rather shoot with an iPhone than a RED if I could only correctly mic people up using the iPhone

>Avoid cliched plots revolving around violence/crime
Everyone likes Tarantino, but unless you've got convincing actors, props, and sets, it comes off hokey. There's a million interesting concepts that could revolve around high school aged students, but it's always the same stories being told over and over.

Another small tip - think about camera placement a lot. There's a lot to learn about framing and such, what it means, what emotions are conveyed through angles, etc. - you really have to keep this in mind for every shot. It can be boring to just follow your character in a long shot, unless you add an angle to it - even Birdman won the Oscar for Best Cinematography.

Keep at it man, hope you do well

Who here has actually made a few films/shorts/videos? Are most people here high school aged/college aged?

Nobody here ever really posts videos they've done

I don't care if you're really amateur or whatever, I wanna see what people here have worked on

I've been trying to write a lot more, but I'm completely new to film making. Everyone I work with keeps telling me they love the scripts, but I think they're all shit. That's not to say I'm taking a defeatist attitude I'm just never happy with my work unless it's something I'm really into.

We're go to (re)shoot my first script soon, I'm scared that it's bad, but I think everyone's input/adlibbing might make into something okay.

I'm working on something with a friend that I'm really into though, and we're going to submit it to a contest. I don't have high hopes of winning, but hey why not?

I'm in college and have a few (albeit shitty) vids/shorts. Most of them came from me and my friends just hanging out and fucking around.
Same here, but Cred Forums isn't the nicest of places when it comes to critique. Respect to this guy for posting his work.

I actually am taking a year off college now to focus on raising some money and figuring out what I want to study. No use wasting money if I don't wanna put the effort in.

Yeah, I've heard that sound's important as hell and that most Hollywood shit is actually done in ADR. I'm thinking of investing in a Blue Snowball mic since that's what I used for my high school short.

See above. I know I post 'em here all the time (same as the Birdbrains dude, they're all I really have to my name) but hey it's good exposure.

Ay thanks man.

Keep writing and making films man. Put out even the mediocre stuff. It'll get better as you gain more exp. Also, I hate reading back my scripts because they sound so fucking bland and boring, but when you start to film them, it all comes together. You add actors and editing and soundtrack and it makes it all better. Don't get me wrong, a solid script is great. But don't throw out everything you do before you get to that solid script. Also, scripts aren't read like a novel, they're not meant to draw you into the story. When I realized this, I stopped beating myself up over not having a script that reads like a Hemingway novel.

Here's a video I shot and edited a few months ago - not a narrative, but it has some nice shots of some waves, some boats, and some birds:
vimeo.com/155795296

I'm slowly getting back into writing something for a project of my own, but I've been concentrating a lot on work too. For anyone still in school, just try to make the most of it, and work on projects as much as you can. Try to get involved as much as you can with filmmaking groups and people to collaborate with, even if the project isn't your best work, you'll learn a lot.

Good stuff. The main question though, did you pipe this qt?
vimeo.com/113476597

Pretty cool, man. Didn't watch the whole thing but I liked the shots and that colorful bit at the opening.

What'd you shoot on?

Sony FS7, 70-200mm Canon Zoom lens. Really underrated camera imo

in this script, why does the script move to a new page and leave all that room?

the next page is still the same conversation, location, etc, so why did they go to a new page?

Ah nice. I've got a Canon 70D and just the kit lens/a nice zoom lens. I'm not sure like what kind of lenses I SHOULD use, because I've never really tried them out. From what I understand a viewfinder should help in deciding that.

Probably due to rewrites. I'm guessing stuff got cut, and late in the process too. Kept the page length the same so that page numbers didn't change for the rest of the script (e.g. if a producer asks about the big scene on page 56, nothing gets affected)

thanks, that seems to make sense.

I have to head to bed, hopefully this thread is still alive in the morning. Bumping my post.

I recently finished this short based off a nightmare I had when I was younger. I shot the whole thing with long exposure still photography because that's how my dream looked when I had it. Any feedback is welcome

youtube.com/watch?v=fp9vp5jjSG0

A camera is just a tool! The FS7 is great, but my personal camera is still a 60d. If you want to get "techie," look into some prime lenses, with focal lengths that compliment the way you shoot - but even then, its about being creative with what you have. Tangerine was a feature shot on an iPhone, and people loved it. Embrace the aesthetic of your tools, or find ways to do interesting things with them that professionals might not do.

Spoopy, though that cut at the end where it goes into the spiral is a bit cheesy. The long exposure photography paid off in giving it a dreamlike feel though, kinda reminded me of Enter Sandman's video a bit.

Yeah, yeah. I'm just saying, I feel like I could be doing a lot more if only I knew what other options were out there, y'know?

I appreciate the feedback!

No problem man, keep up the good work.

If you're really interested in camera stuff, cinematography, etc. I'd suggest finding schools/film industry types in your area, and work with them. I don't own a ton of high level production equipment, but I've got to work with a bunch smart people and cool equipment from jobs, school, even volunteering. I'm near Los Angeles, so it's easier for me, but there's film stuff pretty much everywhere in the US.

Anyone here use LUTs? They seem fascinating.

If I wanted to have a character dub over other characters in telling a story (like in this youtube.com/watch?v=gXAZXjTcgAU ) how would I go about writing that?

you're the one throwing a fit cuz a guy forgot to mention genre when gauging interest in collabing.

>vimeo.com/113476597
i like your film but your answer of "......." to that other user makes me think you're a cuck.

Is there any actual point to posting stuff in these threads? I feel like if it's shit then it's pointless and if it's good you're just asking for it to be stolen.

You can't just start telling strangers on the internet who you have or haven't slept with

What if they are the girl?

Been working on the ideas phase of a script for a few months now, recently began actually outlining and more in-depth pre-writing work. It's basically a kaiju film in which the main bad guy monster, more or less King Ghidorah, is seen as an alien enemy's ultimate weapon but is really just brain washed and has no free will. Earth is invaded but the aliens are defeated, barely, by the last mech pilot alive. The pilot has, like the monster, always been told what to do. Upon defeating the alien invasion the pilot vows never to use a mech again and to always make his own choices instead of letting others force him to do things he doesn't want to do from now on, and he starts walking into the wasteland outside of the last remaining city on earth. At the same time, the King Ghidorah type monster awakens and finds that he now has free will. However, the remaining humans believe he is evil and so they hate and want to destroy him. Faced with a world that is convinced he is a villain, he has no choice but to give them what they want and he begins destroying everything. Humanity's only hope walks into the desert without even looking back as the monster annihilates all of humanity.

Do you guys think in a post-Shin Gojira world this film could sell? Do you think it's too similar to Pacific Rim/Evangelion? What are the odds of somehow getting the rights to make it a King Ghidorah standalone film? Is my idea even any good?

Really need to get back to writing, need to stock up on readable scripts.

How can I submit scripts and get paid for them? Do I need an agent?

Download the russian movie Brat 2
Brat is a 90s Russian movie about an ex-soldier finding his way in a criminal and corrupt Moscow after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Brat 2, he goes to Chicago, pretty funny

Here's the movie with English subtitles
dailymotion.com/video/x2nl4e9

Ill be on the Skype and willing to read some stuff. If you want some feedback ill give, I won't just give you random ideas.
join.skype.com/IR718GCXNU4M

Currently taking a break from a short I was writing to a comedy series which I do on the side. I'm looking for a director for another script which i finished but don't want to direct myself.

Heres the last thing I directed and wrote.
youtube.com/watch?v=vgc1WXS21Vc

About to continue meeting with my crew for a documentary. Anyone here ever shot a documentary?

I have. Not my speciality tho. Never with crews bigger than 3 people.

Nice, have you finished the documentary? I'm approaching the post-production part.

I haven't done a artistic documentary in ages. The ones I've done are more corporate stuff. So I obviously had to finish them to get my pay.

Promotional videos in the form of documentaries are pretty hip right now. What is yours about?

A girl a friend of mine knows felt unhappy living in Canada and moved to Amsterdam (where I live) to become a new person. We've interviewed her, got some locations, got pretty good equipment (gymbals are amazing) and sound is pretty good aswel. It's a narrative based documentary.

Heh. Im in Amsterdam as wel.

Got any rough cuts?

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=OPbxMgYfeDU
I've posted this a few times here before
since then Futureshorts asked to distribute it
300k subs, which is nice

Keep this thread alive for a few hours and I'll post your a trailer to a feature film I'll spend the next two months editing - deal?

I've done about 4. None over 20 minutes.

post them

Join up: join.skype.com/IR718GCXNU4M
And talk about your project.

bump

I have some short ideas for movies but i'm thinking of starting to write an actual scrip for one of them.

Just enrolled in my first year, any tips?

I'm writing an adult version if glee that follows a small indie band trying to make it big. How would I fit into the script the songs they sing besides *Character sings Song

This is the first edit of a long ass short I made -- the audio editing is pretty shit and we didn't upload it in 1080p just yet. I wrote it when I was 17, 2 years ago, shot it a year ago in November and now we're on the third edit and finishing grading for public upload. As I see it now completely edited, as my first film I want to gauge my eyes out.

Roast me dawg.

>youtube.com/watch?v=ey4IvETF1sQ

I've seen em, great movies.

I've shot a mockumentary about a dude who had an addiction to humping furniture. If that counts.

Drop out.

Malta guy here.

My application is going swimmingly. I just got done with the set designer dressing the place up to film my teaser tomorrow, full day.

I'm part hyped, part shitting my pantaloons. I have never done this before but my crew is so fucking awesome and chill that I have full faith in this working out.

It's habbening.

Nice dubs, lame idea senpai. Kaiju is no better than capeshit

You should have the slav's brother text him randomly to play some bowling

It's pretty solid from what I've seen so far. The acting's iffy, camera shakes a bit, like you said the sound isn't great, but that's to be expected from any amateur short. It's pretty fuckin' slick, you put some real thought into this.

No real need for the morning routine, but the bowl smash at the end of it was neat. Your color grading needs some work, but it's a first edit so that's fine.

I'm really liking it, it's got promise man.

Well? We're waiting...

Nico. My cousin?