Just got back from marathoning this kino. It was fantastic, great cuts, pacing, decent dialogue, good action...

Just got back from marathoning this kino. It was fantastic, great cuts, pacing, decent dialogue, good action. Ask me anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4v5VbvUo0gU
youtube.com/watch?v=xYVuAlNeF2U
youtube.com/watch?v=mdU8dyjgXU0
youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ru-wduZ70
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

don't have to my man, saw it tonight as well

I really liked the sound the beam made, like a whistling high pitch thing

It sounds like an oxyacetylene torch. Pretty damn realistic.

I know I've heard the beam from somewhere else. I wanna say Gyaos' beam from GotU but I can't find a clip. Higuchi worked on that too as sfx supervisor

I just saw it also, fucking cinema was packed

Too bad they're only showing this for a week. My theater had only one showtime for it too

Where can you see it?

check funimation's website to see if a local theater is playing it.

me too mane, it was legit kino

saw it in cinemark

You don't marathon one movie, latka

>You don't marathon one movie, latka
>movie

It was kino you absolute buffoon, get your words right

PAYBACK TIME

Gojira's laser was boss as all fuck to be quite honest

Actually one of the very few times my jaw dropped at the cinema

Which was better. Lasers fucking everywhere destroying Tokyo or Kiss of Death?

Would have liked it more if I didn't have two 16 year old Cred Forums baneposters giggling next to me the entire movie.

Initial flame/laser breath>kiss of death>back lasers

How big of a role did she have?

I did a double take, and then I realized there is two threads about this movie at once.

They finally showed a villain Godzilla who is honestly capable of destroying the whole world

Loved it.

Movie was meh. A 6/10. Nice drive to the theater though.

So what was the deal with that last shot of the movie?

Why didn't they destroy Godzilla after freezing it? They just left it as a statue

I want to be frozen for two days, I cant fucking wait.

They didn't show anime trailers beforehand, did they?

He's still alive. They said he could be stopped but not killed

FUCKING THIS, you from Scranton area?

There was a little 30 second funimation trailer for some One Piece movie before my showing, other than that they showed regular trailers

Best grill.

Alamo showed one trailer for Production IG's Miss Hokusai.

We got One Piece Gold and Kimi no ni Wa in Jersey.

Too big. She was fucking terrible. She can't act. She should keep her job as an Idol Hostess who jerks off old businessmen.

I saw it at a Carmike, literally no trailers.

>They finally showed a villain Godzilla who is honestly capable of destroying the whole world
There's been a few of those already. GMK being a great example. Would have done it faster than this one too.

I'm about to watch this in a few hours, so incredibly excited as I didn't think the limited release was going to be in Australia as well.

Bad
>No likable human characters despite taking up 90% of the screentime
>"Don't shoot the monster destroying countless lives because two old people decided to cross the street in front of Godzilla"
>Opening special effects were "SyFy Original Movie"-tier bad
>Needless dialogue taking up more time than most Gojira flicks. Like holy fuck I don't care about your political commentary in a movie about a giant atomic lightshow lizard.
>"Japan is triggered by the word 'nuclear'" plot #5345346234534

Good
>Honestly my favorite Godzilla design
>Rapid evolution gimmick was well done
>Special effects when Godzilla gets serious were genuinely better than Godzilla 2014; Atmosphere 10/10
>Humor in the first half of the movie was pretty decent; audience loved it's quirkyness
>Engrish is terrible, but charming as always
>Japan and USA team-up

Probably the weakest part of the film. Her acting was just way too hammy.

>>Opening special effects were "SyFy Original Movie"-tier bad
They really should have used a physical prop for the first land based form, It looked pretty wack compared to the other two.

I just saw it too. The action scenes were great, the government bureaucracy, both in action (or in-action) were tense and humorous, and the music (the use of the old scores) was up there. The movie suffered from some campy dialogue, the bad American stereotypes (I found it amusing seeing their concept of Americans as compared to American movies depicting other cultures), and some fake CGI moments.

The first stage I found creepy and pretty disturbing for the creature. But the second half, when the creature unleashes its fury was some pure kino.

It was decent, but I get a little bored with any franchise when I have to sit around and have characters go through the motions of presenting a reboot.
Like, I get Godzilla. I get the politics surrounding Godzilla. I don't need the entire first hour the movie to just be that. I've seen it with the original film I've seen it with 1984.
However, once shit went down though it was pretty cool. And it was fun how calculated and methodical the actual attempt to freeze him was. There was something cute about the little cranes feeding him coagulant.

>No likable human characters despite taking up 90% of the screentime
Yaguchi was cool.
>Needless dialogue taking up more time than most Gojira flicks. Like holy fuck I don't care about your political commentary in a movie about a giant atomic lightshow lizard.
Then you don't know shit about what Godzilla is about.
>"Japan is triggered by the word 'nuclear'" plot #5345346234534
The point wasn't the nuke. It was that Japan didn't want to continue letting the rest of the world solve their problems for them. There was an entire scene where the one guy is convincing Yaguchi to let the US nuke them and have the UN countries pay to rebuild their country. The movie was about the way Japan has taken a back seat since WWII and let the rest of the world's sympathy for them lift them up when disaster strikes, like with the Tsunami, reactor meltdown, and earth quacks that all happened in the last decade.
The movie's plot was fucking great if you have the context to see what it's actually about.

I do agree that the CGI before Godzilla entered his final form was very poor by 2016 standards, but that's really the biggest complaint I have.

>>Needless dialogue taking up more time than most Gojira flicks.
It actually wasn't much more than most Zilla movies.
Just usually you'd get some adventure sub-plot with humans, instead of just board room meetings. Regardless you'd be spending time watching humans over the giant lizard.

>Needless dialogue taking up more time than most Gojira flicks. Like holy fuck I don't care about your political commentary in a movie about a giant atomic lightshow lizard

I liked it, and it built up the Godzilla scenes well. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla had more human scenes than monster scenes I felt that are less bearable, despite it being one of my favorite movies. I agree with Japan being too triggered about "nuclear", but it was part of their message about nukes anyway.

>Special effects when Godzilla gets serious were genuinely better than Godzilla 2014

hmm, relative yes, but overall no. The thing I liked about Godzilla 2014 was the massive scale, and the way the filmmakers limited seeing Godzilla in its entirety for most of the film. One of the memorable scenes of the full body shot is after the crossing of the Golden Gate Bridge, when Godzilla is walking into the bay from far away. Shin Godzilla has some moments where you can get the scope of the size of the creature from ground level, but in many aerial scenes, it loses its presence.

I posted my thoughts on /m/ a few hours ago

It's so baffling to me that half the CG looks so utterly amazing but the other half looks so trash

How does that happen? Did two seperate VFX companies work on it and not share assets, and one of them was just shit?

whoops, fucked up my link

Probably time constraints. Reports said that production was way behind schedule and they barely finished in time.

also, this was the best theme in the film

youtube.com/watch?v=4v5VbvUo0gU

I was hoping it would be utilized better since you couldn't really hear the vocals during the movie

okay, I want people to tell me WHY this is good. because this move was an absolute disappointment and dragged on. It felt like a shitty evangelion episode ft. Godzilla (sometimes). I dont want another origin film, because we have '54 and this didnt even do a good job at establishing Godzilla because half the movie he was some retarded crawling stegosaurus that half the theater laughed at, and then he has a minute of destroying the city which was arguably the coolest part. Everything else dragged. The politics, the drama, the characters, were all incredibly weak. The CGI looked good sometimes and other times it just looked awkward and out of place. this was an okay film at best. Weeabos here dick riding the film because "glorious nippon does no wrong!"

Anno is a fucking hack and he needs to fuck off.

I thought it was interesting. I always sort of viewed the original Godzilla was this monster that represented the folly of man, a horrible creature created by mankind's meddling with nuclear research and the dangers that came with it.
Despite this Godzilla looking so horrifying as a design, the movie actually felt a lot less gloomy. More like a bunch of politicians trying their best to deal with a natural disaster, rather than humanity getting their comeuppance for crimes in science and war.
Even the endings, defeating Godzilla through planning and teamwork kind of felt like a big pat on the back. Where as the original film forced man to create a even more horrible weapon that Godzilla just to stop him.

>Special effects better than 2014
>Godzilla fans are this deluded

kys

I assume he's saying the overall presentation, not the CGI quality.

not him but and disagree. Godzilla 2014 had very memorable scenes done well, like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=xYVuAlNeF2U

Shin Godzilla has a bit of anime-esque (if that is an appropriate descriptor) action sequences, that are very cool, and yes, they are memorable, but don't have a major impact of capturing the hard-to-believe nature of the creature other than it being to do what it did in the movie when it went berserk.

>doujin
thank you based japs, if only we could be as speedy about providing a link to said doujin as they are at making it

>Despite this Godzilla looking so horrifying as a design, the movie actually felt a lot less gloomy. More like a bunch of politicians trying their best to deal with a natural disaster, rather than humanity getting their comeuppance for crimes in science and war.

I absolutely agree

When the movie was trying to be dark, holy shit did it work, but most of the time it wasn't trying to be that dark. It's sort of a similar issue to the 2014 one, though obviously this one didn't have it as bad in that department.

Just got back from a showing as well.
It was a lot more comic than I was expecting, but the ballooning committees and titles were genuinely pretty funny

The noodles got soggy

>that was what got the most laughter in my audience

Between that and the palpable discomfort every time they brought up the american nanny state I wish I could've watched it alone at home

some fucking guy was chewing ice in the theater during my showing

The cunt behind me was kicking her empty clamshell of "nachos" around ten minutes in for the duration of the movie.

Some weeaboos in my theater kept using their phones.

Hey, does anybody know if it's being shown in IMAX anywhere in the US?

It was in japan apparently, but none of the theaters near me are showing it in that format

I am seeing it tomorrow. It better not be too slow paced

> It better not be too slow paced

It starts off pretty slow but after the first 30 minutes or so it speeds up.

Dis gon be good

Is this seriously not showing anywhere in europe? What the fuck?

If by "it speeds up" you mean that people talk really fast, then yes, it does.

Alot of the sounds i remember from classic Goji films i think. I think the beam was one of then.

Great flick. Not perfect but pretty damn entertaining.

I like how bored they sounded while saying that. Imperialist American Pigs yawning while bombing glorious Nippon.

It was pretty good. I'd like it better if it focused more on Yaguchi's team. Kayoko's english was shit. I don't see the point in her speaking english. Hell, Yaguchi and the PM's aide has better english for fuck's sake.

Also, the origami shit was kinda dumb.

Her role was way better suited to a native English speaker but Horrywoodo yellow washed the whole thing.

No, I mean the pace of the movie

I thought it was paced well for tension building. I could see ADD being triggered if you don't care about the people trying to stop Godzilla by sitting and arguing and tearing their hair out.

I think it"s paced fell as well past the first 30 minutes, but the first 30 minutes are pretty glacial

They had to set it up, Godzilla showed up straight away but they had to nail the theme of bureaucrats pissing around agonizing over difficult choices.

PAYBACK TIME

If you're in US? Funimation
If you're in AU? Godzilla.com.au
If you're anywhere else? Google who got distribution rights for your country.

>Her english was some of the worst in the movie
>I wanna be president some day!
Thats was fucking hilarious to me
Cute!

Funny how her english is actually worse than the characters that are supposed to be natively japanese.

I need the BD so I can watch the atomic breath scene a few more times.

Watching it tonight
What the fuck am i in for familia?
I enjoy any and all godzilla movies.
I'm excited for this being the first japanese version i will see on a big screen and having so kany people like it.

Everyone who spoke english sounded like they were speaking example lines for a dictionary
>Payback [pey-bak]
>"We have a visual on the target, time for PAYBACK. It is now PAYBACK time."

Godzilla reproduces asexually and his tail was the mouth of another Godzilla
No idea about the skeletons though

It's a great movie that leaves you wanting more and more and more
Amazing monster design, great story when you pick it apart, and excellent soundtrack
I want to go see it again it was so good

Same here, fellow Jerseyman.

Some lady in the audience went "Is that Speed Racer?" at the One Piece trailer

the flat delivery of the B2 pilots saying "payback time" made me choke on my drink

No one does lasers like Anno.

youtube.com/watch?v=mdU8dyjgXU0

Which town you guys? Edgewater here.

Any way to see it online?

Manville

It was very obviously Anno's first major live-action film. I think my biggest gripe about the movie was the sound mixing, actually. There were lots of shots where sounds were missing, like a group people walking down the hallway have absolutely no footsteps, or a crowded mission control room with lots of people talking is completely silent, or the weird stock explosion sound effects (I swear Anno must've taken them from the original movie or something).

He did, it was all on purpose

ANGEL OF DOOM COME CALLING
WITH
NO MERCY
NO FEAR
NO HEART
NO JUDGEMENT
NO CLEMENCY
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paper mario trailers at my theater :^)

Gojiras DNA was so advanced it was capable of almost instant evolution , yes he was large , yes he wrecked a ton of shit but at the end of the day he was beaten by the tenacity of man working together, it realized this possibly too late, as it was evolving to a form that could counter our own, a community of many.

Anno did this in Evangelion as well, the final form of the big bad not being a monster, but something that looks just like us

Or it's all bullshit and he put it in there because it looked cool. He does that a lot too

>It's okay people it's impossible for the monster to walk on land
>*whisper whisper*
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S ALREADY WALKING ON LAND

>Godzilla with t-rex arms and a massive tail that shoots beams

lmfao, i'll wait for the next American Godzilla film, thanks.

Japs can't ever get shit right.

Where was the old man professor guy? Was that ever explained?

Yo is it true that Godzilla's tail is made of humans?

Never forget Crane Team 1

It was evolving last second into something that could combat humans.

Shh it doesn't matter we need to fold this paper so we can shoot the right goo down Godzilla's throat :^)
The actual answer is they never explain what happened to him, although the implication I got was that he killed himself by feeding himself to Godzilla/Somehow turned himself into Godzilla

That could explain where he found the human DNA

He killed himself. You saw the shoes on the boat right? Typical Japanese symbol for suicide.

Shoes represent suicide in Japan?

I'm also seeing it at event cinemas at indooroopilly tomorrow night

Japanese apparently take off their shoes before killing themselves.

I need a spund webm of the nighttime laser scene

I was cracking up pretty hard at that.

Good to hear. Maybe this thing is worth watching after all. Too bad it's not playing anywhere near me, I'd definitely see it now. Nice to see Acchan leaving a big impression on people.

> It was very obviously Anno's first major live-action film.
If we're counting all his live-action feature films then he has 3. And I'm pretty sure Cutie Honey (2004) counts as a major film.

> Stock Explosions
Yes. They were pulled from the 50s and 60s films. Same with some of the music.

I was supposed to go there but I went to the Royal on Tuesday. There was an autismo with a Chicken hat making noises. Thank godzilla that he shut the fuck up when the movie started.
The movie is great, Godzilla's design is the scariest which is a good thing. And a bit of a spoiler but the movie starts with Godzilla right out thank god. Not in the sense that you see him but he's already wrecking shit in the sea.

Bump

Those people apparently mistook her for Satomi Ishihara.
Sadly Acchan's screen time is only 5 seconds or so and almost no one can recognize her.

5 seconds? Jeez, why even bother hire her. Extras get more screen time. How sad.

Any link for us outsiders?

Maybe less than 5, all of her acting is in the US trailer.
So you don't have to wait to see it...

youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ru-wduZ70
Literally Tumbling Down
I was overwhelmed

Literally best scene in the movie fag

((((I know))))

Saw this at the Alamo Drafthouse. Shit was great. They played a bunch of Godzilla clips, trailers, old commercials, anything that had anything to do with Godzilla or Kaiju stuff instead of the usual shit stuff they show before a film. They even made a Godzilla themed "TURN OFF YOUR PHONE" message.

Cool

I will never understand why 1.11's CGI looks infinitely better than 2.22's.

fuck i wish i had an Alamo close to me ;;