So i see you are running gnome

>so i see you are running gnome
>you know, i'm on kde myself
>i know this desktop environment is supposed to be better...
what the fuck is he talking about

nerd alert

linux desktop environments, which no real hacker would ever use

His Windows is broken

>2016
>not i3wm

gnome and kde are desktops for linux. linux is just a kernel, if you want to use a mouse to click on files and shit like windows 3+, then you need a desktop environment.

gnome is a standard because it is the easiest to run of the teo majors. kde is better in almost every respect, but takes almost half a gig of ram to run. and it is super customizable, but that turns most normies off who just want their iphones to work.

xfce is probably the best desktop environment. it is really simple. then kde. and gnome is shit, despite what anyone else says.

i meant how is gnome supposed to be better than kde? the way they forced the "desktop environment" expression into this conversation, just to make it look more "kewl h4xx0r stuff" makes me nauseated

now even that is more believable than the original

baka I wasted quints

nice dubs

those are quints newfag

fucking reifags, she is an autistic doll, whats the appeal?

???

I think you answered your own question...

>say, is that a PSP Vita?

>i3
>not awesomewm
What's the matter kid, scared of a little LUA scripting?

>kde better than gnome
Yeah, maybe for a split second when gnome abandoned 2 and just started 3 and they didn't know what they wanted it to be.

The only alright KDE was 3.

>commenting uselessly in a thread
>doesn't even know in which year the related show takes place

kde is infinitely customizeable, and doesn't actually break programs.

gnome is only good for grandmas that want to email and use free office rip offs.

>kde is infinitely customizeable
kek

Not any more than gnome or xfce.

Mine

is this the newest hippest way to shitpost

>kde
>choice of buttfuckers
makes complete sense

this show is absolute shit btw

KDE and Qt > rest t bh

eh it's alright, just plays a little fast and loose with all the computer lingo.

Only seen the first half of S1 tho so what do I know

>worst DDoS attack i've ever seen
>did you reconfigure the DNS?

why the fuck would you do that

>mfw I'm pleb as fuck with computers
>mfw I'll have to try this some time

Holy fuck, quints and the most real answer here.

xfce is the shit, I use it at work and at home.

This.
It is to computer technology what breaking bad was to chemistry

asymmetric reductive amination of phenylacetone my irish ass

Both mark their plebness way better than your average CSI, and that's what's important, I guess.

new dns reroutes around the ddos tracert

Literal autism.

oh god how fucking stupid are you?

xfce is windows 95 teir customizable. hixh is the reason it is great. gnome.pretends to be customizable, but unlessbyou built it from scratch with the exact c++ extensions, it will ficking ruin everything you try to do. which has always made me wonder. gnome has 3x the manpower of kde. why can't gnome come out with a good install?

kde is master race of desktops, if you have half a gig of ram to spare.

I'd much rather they just use regular technobabble than trying to insert real things into contexts where they make absolutely no sense

Like 1 minute into the first episode elliot says "if I own the exit nodes then I own you" despite the fact that's not even a little bit what exit nodes are or how they work, otherwise literally nobody would use TOR. Either say some shit about how you reversed their proxy up their firewall or get the IT intern to read the script once.

Unless you are posting from pre-2000 nothing is this easy

This is why the scene is unrealistic- real linux users would instantly devolve into this autistic nonsense argument for 4 hours

actually thst is why only morons use tor. it was talked about when tor was invented.

tor is a cool concept, but the exit nodes can read the recipient. and of the recepeint is unsecured, the exit node can read the message. then the exit node knows who sent it.

actually they would. these are their office/work computers. not their hacking computers. get fucking rekt you pleb.

Ironic given recent events lol

but it actually made sense in that scene. the guy was retarded for just using TOR without really knowing what it does or how it works, and he exploited his retardation. it made sense

how do you modify a public dns entry?

hacking bro

i forgot that they only had to push the hack button

> then the exit node knows who sent it.
Literally could not be more wrong, even if the content isn't encrypted, it doesn't inherently tell anyone where it came from. And if you're sending something illegal, you aren't going to include "hey this came from mohammed down at the coffee shop" in your message

If you genuinely think you're right about this, I suggest you open up your own exit node right now and start claiming bounties on all the criminals who use TOR.

9deep9me

while the story itself isn't bad, in that context it was so cringeworthy...

Modify the mainframe using an open port secure shell to configure the link state of your routing table, bypassing the subnet interface with a dynamic protocol address to establish your network interface, thus creating a backbone topology separated from the usual user datagram protocol, allowing you to de-encapsulate packets without an autonomous system tracking your media access control

He claimed to have figured out the coffee shop's location because some of its traffic went through a tor exit node that he ran. That is complete and total CSI tier nonsense.

>it's another thread topic makes you forget what board you're on episode

>Someone offers me a million dollars to punch myself in the face
>I agree
>Changes offer to 1 dollar, I was secretly a professional self face puncher the whole time I have been found out!

The writing in this show is retarded

I know nothing about TOR, how exactly do they track down darknet servers and shit that are distributing CP or drugs?

Can't they can narrow down the nodes by DOS and shit and use crazy methods like exploiting javascript to track the users. I remember hearing something like that once, but again, I know nothing and am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff, forgive my retardation
How exactly does something like silk road get shut down

Are you autistic? Seriously curious, user.

what the flying fuck are you talking about

I'm asking how the gov't shuts down shit like silk road, how does it happen?

He already knew the coffee shops location and said he used it all the time because it had fiber. Then he said he noticed it was the same location as the tor exit node that he ran. You completely misunderstood that aspect, he already knew where the coffee shop was

That's the point. Compromising one's principles is the very essence of life, and it's just a matter of rationalizing it to ourselves and playing the moral high ground in neat little narratives that anyone can see through if they look.

10 years ago maybe

today no, gnome has been shit for years, KDE is significantly better

buzzwords the post

that's the joke :^)

>what the fuck is he talking about

This is why guys in marketing don't talk to the guys in IT.

Usually because of neat tricks like javascript or because the site owner is retarded and slipped up. Silk Road got shut down because Dread Pirate Roberts used shitty, insecure code that allowed the feds to locate the servers, and secondly, had pisspoor OPSEC where the first comment made about Silk Road was able to be traced to his fucking gmail with his real fucking name, then he proceed to keep referencing it in suspicious names with accounts also connected to his real life.

in suspicious ways*

Also, javascript shit only works if the website is under their control.

thank you very much for the answer

I'm not really surprised it happened because someone did something stupid, that's usually how it goes

Back on topic, that's sort of a theme in Mr Reddit and that's usually one of the things that they actually portray correctly as far as i'm aware. It's people being stupid that usually creates big security holes.
Crypto-nerds like to think holes are found through buffer overflow exploits or some cool low-level memory exploits or something interesting like that, which does happen on occasion, but in reality it's something simple and dumb like a person being stupid and having a connection to their personal email

I'm on episode 6, does it get any better?

I like the concepts and stuff, the idea of hacker organizations, no matter how retarded and stupid their edgy ideas are (le hack the corporations)
I also like some of the characters so far, the patrick bateman guy is a good example

are u a retard????

wot

Should have installed gentoo

wtf is gentoo

is it some linux shit?

No.

It's an actual distro you run when you know what you're doing.

In rl it would probably be more realistic to have them arguing over LFS and Slackware or over different package managers and shells

explain to me what this means

pls

explain to me what it means

I feel like I shouldn't spoonfeed you but I'll do it anyway.
>Gentoo is a linux distro (a specific operating system for the linux kernel) that is extremely difficult to install and only autists actually use it. Install gentoo is a meme on Cred Forums when someone asks a retarded tech question.
>LFS is some retarded shit I've never heard about before.
>Slackware is another OS I rarely hear about.
>a package manager is a piece of software that automatically downloads updates to your software.
>don't know what shells are

use the handbook bro

Thanks

Use startpage next time so you can stop being a thirsty fag

how much would you punch yourself in the face for?

suck my cock fag :^)

I thought you'd never ask.

>mr robot is surfing the web at his battle station doing 1337 haxorz
>just sitting on the homepage of Cred Forums

what did they mean by this?

Every windows system has a hidden admin account you can just unhide and have access to the computer.
Not the same with Mac but you can make an admin account from boot

xfce or bust.