What was the fucking point of the girlfriend subplot, other than the obvious marketing reasons

what was the fucking point of the girlfriend subplot, other than the obvious marketing reasons

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mZmc_yzEIrw
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9b/2010_US_Census_Percent_Change_in_Hispanic_Population_by_County.svg/800px-2010_US_Census_Percent_Change_in_Hispanic_Population_by_County.svg.png
twitter.com/AnonBabble

God this movie was fucked up. That dude literally had a mental illness but it convinced a lot of people that he was just "dedicated to his craft" like yeah it's totally normal that he would rather destroy his own life and push a woman out of his life than not be famous. Not that I thought the movie was bad but that dude was totally fucked. He should have died shortly after the car crash. It would have made him one of those tragic characters whose obsession led to his demise.

seems perfectly normal to me, I don't see how he destroyed his life and giving up a fling to become a great isn't a big deal

Every new movie has to have a scene of the main character getting cucked

to show how dedication and ambitious is one thing but obsession is another, to show how the drumming is taking over his life and how an abusive relationship can be all-consuming (in this case with an abusive teacher)

>I don't see how destroying his life to become great is a big deal

>Destroying his life

^There's the problem. Your own health and safety always wins over "becoming great" otherwise you increase your chances of not becoming great at all. You understand this or you are mentally ill as well.

It was to show that he needed to work full time and leave everyone behind if he wanted to achieve his goal. The storyline definitely had a purpose and it worked.
>other than the obvious marketing reasons
If it were, he would've gotten the chick at the end.

It ties into Teller's character being 100% focused on his drumming, and how it pushed him away from other things in life. The overall theme of the movie is about whether success is worth placing over other things in life, such as health, family, etc.

It makes his triumph in the end even more impressive.

I got the message that mental illness can easily be confused with dedication.

So what you're saying is that he should abandon his dreams, be like everyone else and settle for a gf. Fuck off, sheep. He "didn't destroy his life", he became what he wanted to be, that's the opposite of destroying your life.

Yeah but he literally only went out on like 2 dates with that girl. We saw no development in their relationship so it didn't feel very impactful when he broke up with her.

that's true, it was glossed over. the car crash was weirdly handled as well, the impact itself was very shocking but there weren't really any consequences to it

>Your own health and safety always wins over "becoming great"
Tell that to Evel Knievel. That right there is why the film is so good. It's an excellent look at someone who will stop at nothing to achieve his goal.

Yeah, no. Like I said here When you're so obsessed with something that you become an insufferable faggot at all times and refuse medical attention after a violent car crash you're mentally ill. Simple as that. He should have died from complications of the crash at the end.

Are you really this stupid? Him giving up everything he loves for drumming was the whole point of the movie.

Evel Kineval definitely had some screws loose as well, but he was a cool dude. Teller's chracter in Whiplash is insufferable and literally a faggot.

Is this sincerely what you think? He had the potential to be one of the greatest drummers of all time - if he'd become preoccupied with a gf and other stuff then he would never have reached that potential.

That's why the ending is so great - his teacher was fucking insane but pushed him to the brink only because he knew he could get past it.

you misread what I wrote
I don't think bleeding your hands a bit and breaking off with a girl after 2 dates warrants such a characterization as "destroying your life"

Alright, I agree the car crash was a bit too much and that's when the movie fell into cartoon territory.
But still I think there's nothing wrong with being obsessed with a goal as long as your health is intact, socialization should be optional.

Like I said here

Was Fletcher actually effected, even in some small way, by the student that killed himself (the one he lies and says got in a car crash)? Or were they entirely crocodile tears when he was announcing it?

>Evil Knievel

his ability was ride a motorcycle in a ramp in some hotel in Las Vegas, this is not a skill.

just look at Senna if you want someone that put his craft first and his life later

There are a lot of talented people that come across as shitty when they are interviewed. I'm not saying that is ok, but that is just the nature of obsession. Most athletes sound like geniuses when they are discussing sports, but sound retarded when asked about anything else.

Did you watch the movie? Do you remember the car crash?

>socialization should be optional

Yes, but that still falls into mental illness territory. Shutting yourself off from people in general isn't healthy. I know this from experience.

So let me get this straight.
Let's say you had the potential to become one of the greatest of all time in your respective field.
Would you want someone to push you that far? Farther than you knew you could go? To almost fucking get you killed for the sake of going down in history as one of the greats?

Or would you rather just get a gf and settle down and pay bills the rest of your life while occasionally messing around on a drum set you keep in your basement.

The idea was that he parlayed his confidence from getting into Simmons's band in order to ask this girl on a date, it's a contrast between how consumed and demented their relationship becomes, it shows the good before the bad.

seeYou think you've got it right, but like a poor marksman you keep missing the target.

If you're truly great you'll be able to balance a normal life with (whatever you do) practice. The only thing a normal life will do is slow you down, but you'll get there regardless. If you have a problem with waiting a little bit for something you need to grow up and realize you can't just get everything right away in life.

She represented the banality of the "normal life," and how taking that path ultimately would have robbed him of dedicating everything he was to becoming the best.

She was clearly not on board with it. nor did she understand his drive. She was the typical girl who wold have eventually wanted to settle in some suburb somewhere with a mind-mannered hubby and pop out a bunch of kids. The message was that that taking that kind of life path is a death sentence to anyone with dreams and ambitions. Sure he was probably hurt by "missing his chance" with her, but taking the long view, his life would have panned out for the better.

>inb4 some raging femanon desperately tries to refute all this

According to you, Arnold Schwarzenegger must be a sick fuck.

What if your dreams and ambitions involve settling down with your dream woman and living your life together?

I see exaggeration is one of your great talents.

When he's not with her, he's rushing towards greatness.

When he is with her, he's dragging.

So when the teacher asks him "Are you rushing or dragging", the answer is "Both".

But if their relationship didn't exist then he would only be rushing.

Their relationship creates P O E T R Y that the film would otherwise lack.

To show that to be the greatest you have to sacrifice everything else.

Than you dont have the drive or ambition to be the best. Just another random

Because Americans cannot handle a movie without a romance plot

honestly when you say it like that do you seriously think the latter sound more appealing?
what the fuck

It felt like a fuck you to romance plots, though. He didn't need a gf to be happy and that's why I liked the movie.

You're implying that's a bad thing.

So being mentally ill is more appealing to you?

It really seemed there was alot more of her that they just edited out.
Would have been a classic without that cunt

Lol, female detected.

see

assravaged roastie detected

You need to be 18 to post here.

Those aren't mutually exclusive concepts, fucknugget. It's not hard to see that there is dysfunction in Andrew, you're the one who is missing the greater point about greatness and dedication at the cost of normalcy.

Women will literally NEVER understand this movie

>greatness and dedication at the cost of normalcy

Which is a mental illness.

It's funny how I'm speaking the simple truth while you're memeing.

Wow, an alive female on my Cred Forums. Girl, every possible job or hobby is better to be with a woman and hear rants like this on a daily basis.

I wish I had his drive. All the greats are like that,no matter what field. Those are winners

Not him but you missed the point big time. Sure his dedication appears to be mental illness from plebs on the outside, but he achieves greatness through his dedication. So fuck mental illness, which in this case is a shitty buzzword. He wins life in the end due to his mental illness so either way you are retarded. Or perhaps hold a mental illness that prevents you from understanding the point

Right but what about the rest of the movie?

>this movie
>triumph

Wow the point really flew over some people's heads

In order to develop the character they had to show him weigh his desires and show him make decisions based on emotional conflict. The way they did it was so lazy though, it could have been left out and the film would literally have not been any different. Had it been written by a competent writer, the impact of him choosing drumming, and striving for perfectionism, over love/family would have been handled better and made for better characterization. This is all basically textbook 101 screenwriting.

>marketing reasons
What?

seeYou wish you were mentally ill and in need of psychiatric help? You look at mental patients and aspire to that?

see

What?

Do you really think this movie had a happy ending?

That after the credits roll his teacher will completely change his ways and treat him with respect like a normal human being? He's getting pulled into the cycle all over again and its gonna break him sooner or later

This. The kid was going to kill himself eventually just like the old student did. This only reinforces my mental illness observation.

Everyone disagreeing with this post probably wouldn't like the director's take on the ending.

Quints of truth. Like I said People just can't see the truth for what it is sometimes.

>You wish you were mentally ill and in need of psychiatric help? You look at mental patients and aspire to that?

Why are you comparing him to mental patients? Somebody who is dedicated is the same as someone literally eating shit? Do you not know the concept of drive to succeed? Some people don't wait for things to be handed to them,they work towards them. But hey,you already decided that he is mentally ill so fuck my argument.

People ITT seem to think this is just a straight forward film about being the greatest against all the odds, completely missing out on the subversive nature of the movie.

Yes, he came out on top AS A DRUMMER. But is it worth it? He's a complete mess, to the point of shutting out all positive social relationships, putting his life I'm danger, and subjecting himself to constant psychological abuse.

Does that seem sustainable to you? When the credits roll your meant to be left with the question of what happens next. He most likely goes on to great heights as a drummer, but there's no way his coach is just going to stop being who he is and stop being abusive. And Teller's character is going to continue to put drumming above all else, including his physical and mental well being.

Does that sound sustainable?

My point is the dude is sick. He's no better than someone eating shit and shouting the same word over and over until he gets tired. This movie just fools idiots into thinking otherwise.

Actually I'm the same guy in this thread saying the guy is mentally ill. When I posted I was thinking too fast and should have worded it differently. What I meant was by getting cucked the main character's eventual success in what he was doing is more impressive.
He became good anyway, is what I'm saying, despite being cucked and shit on.

Yes he achieved what he foreshadowed throughout the film. Pushed him past his limits to greatness, just like the teacher who threw a cymbal at his student and pushed him to greatness which he mentions a couple times

Further proof that most people are idiots who will only believe what the movie tells them.

Either way it's a battle of ideologies. Do you think his dedication is an illness or a virtue? The answer depends on your own views. In his mind he succeeded and achieved greatness so for him, its a win. Fuck bitches and normies, become great

I get your point. If this was a lesser "work/job/profession", like rap or eating hot dogs, people would think is stupid and sick, but because the movie is about a type of "high art", people are lured to believe he is achieving something trascendental and magnifique that is worth the self-destruction of the character.
For the record, I think the sense of accomplishment is something each person feel in different ways, and one should value the will and dedication any type of person have, and is ok to also criticise it. But I also think is too easy to label something as a mental illness, and more when that labelling come with a set of ideas about how a person should live the life. Or when the imperative is "live".

seeEvery time. It's amazing how stupid people can be.

This is a thoughtful and well-reasoned post. You should probably go do something else with your life.

Nothing will stop him from attaining what he wants. Even things deemed as natural by society.

>that scene where he BTFOs his chad cousin

I'm reminded that I share a board with a bunch of unambitious losers who aren't willing to sacrifice anything to achieve their goals.

The movie is dramatized to the point of absurdity, but it's the principle at stake here.

Best movie that came out in the last two years.

seeWould have been a good scene if he was at all likable.

see

Stop linking people to your dumb opinion, you fucking nerd.

pls be in
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
So that I can fuck you and then post threads complaining about my gf being a total pleb in Cred Forums

It's a fact, not an opinion.

see

>all these "see" posts linking to other posts

I don't want to break it for you, but you might actually be mentally ill

Life isn't sustainable- everyone dies eventually. Better to burn out than fade away

Because I'm going to keep typing that statement over and over again.

Life is sustainable, just not forever.

By saying mental illness can be confused with dedication implies his dedication is mental illness, which is not fact. It is how you view his obsession and not cut and dry fact.

>saying mental illness can be confused with dedication implies dedication is a mental illness

Your thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=mZmc_yzEIrw

The director and writers were trying to create drama to make you feel sorry for the character.

Nobody likes cheery people pursuing goals. Fucking idiot. It's all for your entertainment.

So if I have an opinion on a movie that means I didn't like it? Weird.

>So if I have an opinion on a movie that means I didn't like it? Weird.

What the are you talking about, shithead? Did you even read what I wrote there?

exactly

those are quads, retard

>So that I can fuck you and then post threads complaining about my gf being a total pleb in Cred Forums
This is my dream

Wow

>this autist in the thread
Fuck off retard.

It's actually a woman.

A transexual freak most likely.

This dude gets it.

He just wanted to be the very best like no one ever was.

He literally spelled it out when he broke up with SuperGirl

>Ambition and dedication is a mental illness
This is why the West is dying...

lol the west is still doing better than the east.
Dedication alone means nothing it has to be focused and guided.

you are a fucking retard

Did you watch the rest you utter hermit spastic?

this was the worst scene in the fucking movie, it goes on for WAY too long to the point where it sounds like some deviantart-tier reddit rant from a 10 year old.

feels like it came out of an ABC family movie with all that cringey dialogue. God this movie sucked ass

The part where he punched a hole through the snare was pretty far fetched.

I would do a complete 180 on this movie and legitimately love it if he had died shortly after the crash.

You're either a woman or a dumbass kid who never had a job. Maybe both. Having a family means you have an obligation to sacrifice your time and energy to help your family. An acquaintance of mine was a singer in a punk band and was heavily involved with the scene, but that started to end when he got married and had a son. You can't go to shows willynilly on a whim cause you have a family to take care of, a kid to raise, bills to pay, and need time with your spouse. He is still punk but not to the level he enjoyed before duty called.

So yeah, either your craft or your personal life suffers. You can't have both in this instance. This is what doesn't understand, sacrifices must be made to pursue your mastery of your craft. Whether YOU agree with them or not is irrelevant because it isn't your choice. There's a difference between understanding and agreeing.

If anyone's got the mental illness around here it seems like it's you for giving a shit about anything.

Not that guy but it isn't a bad thing if you make that choice, and it will bring you happiness later on. Dumping some random chick to focus on being the best isn't objectively a bad thing, it would be if he sucked and was fucking around though. Anyways, if your dream is to settle down and be average, go for it. Part of my dream is to raise kids differently than I was raised, to be better than I ever could. If that means I have to give up some shit that isn't really important to me, I'd do it. But that is MY choice, and if you disagree then so be it.

Just don't be talking shit on choices you wouldn't make, you come off looking like a faggot for trying to enforce your views on entertainment.

drummers without girlfriends are homeless.

He did not destroyed his life by cutting ties with the chick or refusing medical attention, his life was about music.
In fact he dedicated his whole life to music, and he just couldn't fail, he wanted to do nothing else, he had no friends he had nothing since the beginning.

>It would have made him one of those tragic characters whose obsession led to his demise.
this actually sounds pretty good. but I dont think your average american would handle it, they need their heroes

Or end like his idol (don't remember his name). Dying poor, addicted and alone.

>staying home and studying to get good grades and a better gpa instead of partying and fycking around means you have a mental illness
>practicing your guitar playing so you can become a better band member means you have a mental illness
>suffering multiple injuries yet still playing in the NFL means you have a mental illness
>becoming better at something at the expense of some things valued higher by others means you have a mental illness

Yeah dude, it totally is mental illness, and dedication and sacrifice to be good at something should be a sign that they need help. Fucking child and/or female.

Either we all have a mental illness, or you can't understand the concept of gitgud. We might as well go back to subsistence farming if you want everyone to not have ambition or be great at something.

>tfw you will never be dedicated again
>tfw everything is pointless now
>tfw you're sleepwalking through life

Fuck you, I'm not ambitious but I can respect those who are. I'm Gully Foyle in that I have potential but I have no reason to advance. Complacent =/= fucking retarded.

Correction: complacent anglos are too busy fucking around and not breeding enough in surburbia and so their time is ending. Latinos are outbreeding your asses, anglos.
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9b/2010_US_Census_Percent_Change_in_Hispanic_Population_by_County.svg/800px-2010_US_Census_Percent_Change_in_Hispanic_Population_by_County.svg.png

The US as a whole is going to keep improving cause of foreigners immigrating here. Their best come here, the dumb ones usually don't. You're not gonna improve shit if you just stay in suburbia and try to maintain your normal life. Poorfags and people with aspirations are better at doing shit than normies in suburbia, soccermoms and salaried wagecucks who have drug-addled bored kids who kill themselves from boredom. People like Teller's character are few and that is why some anons keep saying it's a mental health issue, they are conditioned to be normies, be a wagecuck, and settle down with a house you spend decades paying off. It seems crazy to them that some would choose NOT to be average and maintain their parent's status quo and so you get faggots like these

Tesla never had a girlfriend, he never even kissed a woman. He died in poverty, alone in a hotel room, outside of which he fed pigeons and had a pigeon friend.

Tesla is considered the greatest human mind we know. Rarely do people call him a 'lunatic' but they often call him a genius. He also had severe OCD and needed three of everything, including walking around a building three times before he entered it.