Why hasn't HBO adapted a Dune tv series yet? It is practically so similar to Game of Thrones

Why hasn't HBO adapted a Dune tv series yet? It is practically so similar to Game of Thrones

>House Atreides try to make peace with other Houses on Dune
>House Harkonnen tears the family apart as the father dies and his son and mother run into the desert to escape where they meet a native group of people (The Fremen) and join forces to annihilate the Harkonnen.

>Fremen = Wildlings
>House Harkonnen = House Lannister
>House Atreides = House Stark
>Leto Atreides = Ned Stark

I want to see all books adapted and so need to see God Emperor of Dune adapted.

>comparing based Dune to Game of SJWs
kys faggot

Maybe they will when thrones finishes

Sum up Dune for me.

So there's this Spice shit that's super addictive and grants superhuman abilities but once you get on it you have to stay on it or end up kill?

Why not just not take the shit?

Please don't encourage (((Hollywood))) to ruin any more good things.

>comparing based Dune to Game of SJWs
GoT literally copied a lot of Dune. I was just stating

nah they wanna do some shitty Wheel of time adaption

>So there's this Spice shit that's super addictive and grants superhuman abilities but once you get on it you have to stay on it or end up kill?
That's not the plot at all... in fact eating spice is the least thing that comes to my mind when I think of Dune.

It's about political leaders, religious figures, making a difference in your life and growing strong, accepting the changes of your life as you grow older.

But it's not. Dune has an interesting story, plot, and characters that do stuff that actually leads somewhere.

I really doubt the people who are really into Game of Shit would appreciate a Dune series.

Sounds pretty cool desu.

I think it's partly due to how currently arabs in general are a hot topic. Dune has arabs going on a jihad and taking down the government in the name of their god (Paul). They're from a desert region, rich in an energy resource that is taken by the government who is only there for the energy resource. Also, a cabal of secretive, manipulative people are trying to use the people for their own end, which will bring them full control.

I say give it a decade more, 9/11 is still too fresh in people's minds.

Without spice the navigators can't fold space safely. Also mentats take it to enhance their abilitys. You can have limited recognition other then prolonged life to. If you don't use the spice someone who does gets an advantage over you and chances are you'll get rekt hard.

Probably because it has a horrible history of adaptions.

Fucking sandniggers. Kill em all baka desu senpai

Well they did make the mini series user.

Yes it was filmed in 2000 but they then made the 2003 Children of Dune.

Dune is way deeper than this. You are pleb if you read it only for the "political thrills". Plot pleb.

Nonono fuck no, please don't give them anymore ideas.

>Probably because it has a horrible history of adaptions.
The David Lynch film has grown on me.

The mini series is the best adaption so far (although Jodorowsky's Dune would have been the ultimate best).

What I do love about the Lynch version is the Harkonnen side. Yet it feels like Lynch didn't have full control to go as "bizarre and crazy" as he normally does.

If Lynch's Dune was more symbolically filmed with spiritual metaphors (as Jodorowsky's Dune storyboard is) then it would have been better to me otherwise the pacing isn't that good with the slowish pace of first act WHICH I like! BUT then the pace speeds so fast in the second act because they had to rush things hence why Jodorowsky could not make a 2 and a half hour film and rejected the studio's restrictions.

Do the ripoff of Dune instead

It's been done.

They should adapt The Gap Cycle if they wish to have my viewership.

The author of Dune was half-Jewish

Jodorowsky's Dune would have been SHIT just like everything Jodorowsky.

>recognition
Fucking hell. That's supposed to be precognition

nothing with moebius in it is shit

because got is still going. wait until that shit settles down.

Spice is needed for intergalatic travel, computers are deemed heretical due to bad shit in the past, so it's the only thing available to people and thus highly valuable. People who take spice can develop limited prescience (needed for intergalactic travel, cause otherwise computers would be needed to plot ftl), can be used with training to make human computers, and can also be used to gain access to genetic memory (only females though, and it must be refined to the point where it is fatal in order to be used).

The government has an emperor, and several Houses that are basically the nobles who manage shit locally. Dune is the only source of spice (sandworm lifecycle creates it, this is unknown to the people) and it is rotated to a different House periodically. The Harkonnens are told to gtfo and give control to the Atreides, their hated enemy. Yadayada, they fuck with the Atreides (emperor though they were a threat, gave help in the form of his super soldiers to rekt the Atreides). Paul and his mother (who hasn't undertaken her test for genetic memory yet and is pregnant) survive, the Harkonnens don't know this.

The fremen (space arabs) have adapted to the harsh life of Dune (water is deadly to sandworms, so later on it is postulated they terraformed Dune to be low on water). Water is life, and they survive. They also are better warriors than the emperor's soldiers cause of the harsh conditions of Dune. Paul and his mother become ingrained in their culture cause of his mother's organization's meddling in cultures and cause she teaches the freemen her people's way of fighting (the Weirding Way, grants maximum body control and combined with the freemen's style makes them deadlier). She uses the refined Water of Life (concentrated spice that is basically cyanide) and gains access to genetic memory, causes her unborn daughter to gain it as well).

Eventually Paul takes it too and becomes the Kwisatz Haderach. Cont.

>Warhammer 40k
>doing a series of something only a handful of autists know

Movie when?

The Kwisatz Haderach is the prophesied end-goal of Paul's mother's people, a person who can see the possible futures. He came too early though and fucked everything up, imma tell ya how.

With his full prescience and his promise to the freemen that Dune would be green again, he becomes their living god and with their help (and his major balls) he manages to become emperor. He basically holds the whole planet hostage, he gets sandworms to fuck shit up, uses nukes to make a passage for them to go to the capitol even. He will either get control of the planet or he will destroy the spice. The latter would end intergalactic civilization so he wins. Also, he kills some Harkonnen faggots and marries the emperor's daughter (political marriage, his main chick is a freemen girl).

Further books tell of the fallout of Paul's actions.

>hurr durr horus heresy would be an amazing movie

The only thing that's interesting about Horus Heresy is the fact that it's just completely insane. Nothing about it is even remotely possible to make into a movie. The character designs of the primarchs alone makes it impossible to take seriously.

>you'll never ask a qt freemen girl to hold you water ring for you

Sounds pretty cool man. I should check it out.

Any recommendations how?

Hollywood is a lot more than half :^)

1. Learn how to read
2. Read Dune and the first three sequels.

>Jodorowsky's Dune would have been the ultimate best
>World War Z's totally different take from the book is totally for the best
>batman and superman killing is totally for the best

You see where I'm going with this? Faithful adaptations are better than random liberties that drastically change the story. Something like The Mist's ending is alright, but outright changing EVERYTHING is bullshit, no matter the creative design or famed director.

Case in point, Alien 4. While I like it I can see how it isn't up to par with the rest of the xenomorph mythos cause of the comedic tone and odd camerawork. Doesn't really feel like an Alien movie.

>1. Learn how to read
Well fuck. I'm American so I'm screwed right out of the gate...

Dune faggots think everything copied Dune, shut the fuck up. Dune copied history.

Designs woulda been goat; plot woulda been "raped"-as J himself put it.

Check out pic related for Jordo CUH-RAYZEE. Also it's basically what his Dune woulda been. It doesn't make any sense, but it's fun.

No manlets allowed in this casting, you dumbass

Also when it comes to W40k, I think it'd be best to create an original story rather than try to adapt a book.

Oops heres pic

If you're just anglo I feel bad for you. I am hispanic (with a greencard) and can read/write better than most anglos. I speak spanish like you probably speak spanish, that's how ingrained in english I am.

Anyways, just take your time cause the prose is boring as hell and takes getting used to. The decline of the english language is apparent if you read older books.

>doing a series of something only a handful of autists know

So like Game of Thrones was first?

Shut the fuck up you uppity wog.

Or Star Wars. Or capeshit. As long as something is interesting and visually appealing, the public will eat it up. Unknown terms and shit can be learned.

What the hell is a wog. I'm what they call pocho, whitewashed latino. I'll accept spic or beaner, fuck off with your made-up insults. Insult me like a man, buddy.

I think that Kynes was planning to terraform it and not the other way around.

Kynes showed the freemen this was possible, so it became their dream. They had made some progress but Paul promised them he would make Arrakis green again, and with his prescience they believed him. It truly was a jihad.

Young man must avenge his father, that was killed by their nemesis in a sneaky backstab. He dances with wolves and takes an indian name, become leader of the savages and avenges his father and holds the galaxy as hostage as he inflicts a Jihad on them.

Finally read this a few weeks ago. It was very good and I do not care to see any adaptations.

Didn't they try a Dune series once and it failed to make any lasting impact? Things like GoT are successful now because of hipster cred, and muh geek culture, so a Dune series would definitely be popular in this climate... I mean just look at all the faggots rushing to watch Twin Peaks now that season 3 is on its way.

he's not joking, the word jihad is used

FXX has the rights to Wheel of Time

Again, as long as that shit is interesting people will flock to see it, regardless of current climate (eg hipsters, nerd culture). Lord of the Rings was not really known to normies, yet it won a shitload of awards and made bank cause it was entertaining. GoT, same thing. People saw sexuality, the somewhat-realistic tone, and especially the violence and liked it. Dune basically has better violence (think The Raid), a society dependent on a drug, political intrigue, motherfucking SANDWORMS, arabs fucking shit up, and all this is just from the first book. Later books make the first one look tame in comparison cause they just keep adding crazy shit. Half-man half-sandworm who lives for a couple thousand years, a terraformed Arrakis, ships invisible to prescience, a different version of the bene gesserit who are sexual masters, people who are cloned and get their memories back, people who can change their facial features at a whim, and if you consider the books at the end canon you also get a man/machine hybrid who becomes a god and has prescience. Water sandworms too.

Basically, it would be extremely entertaining for normies. Though as I said here It may be hard to make currently.

Butlerian jihad is best jihad

I personally hope Dune is never adapted again.

IIRC Children doesn't focus much on the jihad, rather Leto and his sister's goal (The Golden Path).

Due to a fuckton of Dune's characterization being done through internal monologues and observations, it'd be incredibly hard to make a series from without it being walls of exposition. The world has so many concepts that need explaining (the novel has a fucking glossary) that it's hard to retain the book's feeling without it just being boring to watch. Without the explanations it's just confusing.

Also it deals with desert people beginning a planetary then a galactic jihad. It's a political minefield.

My ne-gar-0

It's especially stupid to do a Horus Heresy adaptation considering it's literally over 40 books long and of astoundingly varied quality.

I mean, all you really need to do in terms of Horus Heresy is to give the audience a neat montage with some voice over. Think about the intro in Fellowship of the Ring You explain things like who the emperor is, what the primarchs and space marines are, what the great crusade was and how it ended. You show people the absolute majesty of it all, then you just cut to the grimdarkness of the 41st millennium where there is only war and tell the story of how everything is fucking awful and badass at the same time.

I can't see it happening in today rabidly anti traditional and anti-catholic climate.

What are you anyway, some kind of bigot?

HBO would feast on the blogposts user.

Loved Dune, awesome book. I bought the old movie for about $3 from a thrift store but I haven't watched it yet, is it worth it?

Also, is it worth getting into the whole war hammer space marine lore? Seems to be a lot of praise for the Horus heresy novel.