Why did the Goa'uld *ONLY* have soldiers with "intimidation" weapons at the start of SG1. Like, I get it...

Why did the Goa'uld *ONLY* have soldiers with "intimidation" weapons at the start of SG1. Like, I get it, staff weapons are great for pacifying underdeveloped societies and projecting an appearance of power.

But the Goa'uld regularly fought each other, as well as coming across advanced societies who weren't fooled by their act. Why didn't Goa'ulds have dedicated Jaffa with efficient weapons as a backup for when they needed to stop fucking around?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HfGwfhU7z5M
youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8
youtu.be/H3c1ZWXHRLQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

to refreclet they were stagnating and that most of them were idiots (compared to smarter individuals like Ba'al or anubis at least)

it tended to either be the group could easily fight off the goulds or they were primitive tier.

you never really saw another earth like group out there.

to this day those snek heads are still pretty terrifying

JAFFA KREE

>Religious society trying to conquer the stars.

Too many loyal idiot not enough innovation.

because the jaffa were primitive slaves, and the gould were fuckin dumb shits

pretty sure those things could shoot energy blasts or something

It all needed to look like magic bullshit not only to primitive humans but the Jaffa as well. The Goold's whole set up is to look like gods from magic fire stick to their glowing eyes and booming voices.

i thought so too as a kid, but looking back they look like awkward clunky turtles compared to the streamlined and truly menacing falcon helmets from the movie.

come to think of it, the series really dropped the ball on the whole helmet thing. in the movie they were a plotpoint (the slaves really thought those were their actual heads), then in the series the jaffa only wear them whenever they feel like it I guess, thus eliminating the entire point. and then of course the creators couldn't be arsed to make new helmets for all the different jaffa factions of the various system lords and we never saw any except the falcon helmets and said clunky turtle heads. so in the end it's this half-assed carryover from the movie that doesn't really work in the new context.

i get why they couldn't be bothered with it, but it's a shame, especially since those helmets are such an iconic part of Stargate's imagery.

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=HfGwfhU7z5M

man i hate this self-congratulatory "oh man US HUMANS are so much more clever and pragmatic than the spacefaring races who have dominated this galaxy for 10,000 years and we just got here and are already kicking all kinds of ass with our unprecedented awesomeness" bullshit in scifi

sorry i assumed you had posted this
youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

t.Ra

Never understood how Ba'al was able to overcome the mindfuck of the sarcophagus. Sure it made him cruel and godlike, but it didn't turn his brain to a mush of hollow "godlike" routines like it did with other system lords.

Anubis heightened awareness made sense because he half ascended.

if you push those niggas they just fall over with their big ass heavy helmets no?

>implying there weren't teams of Zatnikitel Jaffa for that very purpose

come on now nigger

>But the Goa'uld regularly fought each other, as well as coming across advanced societies who weren't fooled by their act. Why didn't Goa'ulds have dedicated Jaffa with efficient weapons as a backup for when they needed to stop fucking around?

1. Ra, the surpreme System Lord enforced tech stagnation on the other System Lords to keep them from fighting against each other so much.

2. The Goold did not bother very much with advanced societies prefering to leave them alone as long as they dont do anything (Tollans) or make deals with them (Asgard).

>The entire premise of most of the show is that humans are so fucking outclassed against even insanely divided, incompetent, and stagnant ayys that it takes dozens of lucky breaks and the intervention of god-tier ayys for them to even stand a chance

>Earth still gets glassed in most of the timelines

Stargate was a fairly cheap production overall, I remember seeing, and I think it was in the early Atlantis episodes some "Ancient" device covered in Egyptian hieroglyphics, obviously being reused from an SG-1 episode.

I was shocked to learn that Battlestar Galactica had a lower budget than SG-1; the production quality seems much higher, but I guess they could shoot almost everything in a few sets.

NORMIES REEE

>Serpent Guard scene

>STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

>they come into view, and they're just walking normally/slower than the STOMPING effect

wew lad

>in the movie they were a plotpoint (the slaves really thought those were their actual heads), then in the series the jaffa only wear them whenever they feel like it I guess, thus eliminating the entire point.

Abydos was far far far more primitive than Chulak or other Goa'uld worlds. It's hard to fool the people you recruit that the ones working for you have metal snake heads.

>it's a medieval village episode

>making up shitty wookiepedia tier rationalizations for bad writing

We have literal scenes with the families of Jaffa.

Meanwhile Abydos is just some small village mining Naquada which Ra collects every once in a while.

>Carter is O'Neill's wife in literally every timeline except the show's main time line

>O'Neill is dead already in every time line

Sad other-dimensional Carter always made me sad ;_;

>It's a every planet looks like the PNW episode

>It'd a 'Stargate says open for as long as the plot requires' episode'

may the Tok'ra be with you

>not enjoying the slowburn buildup to Sokar

One of the best parts of season 3/4 to me. Sokar was always this deeply evil, looming presence over all these worlds, not to mention he was the literal "Satan" system lord. It's a shame he was only physically in 2 episodes before dying

>Moebius
>Carter: Correcting spelling for Airforce R&D
>Tealc: First Prime of Apophis whom he hates
>Daniel: Teaching illegals English (At least he's not the Ancient Aliens guy like in the other timeline)
>Jack: Fishing on his boat

so the Goa'uld just decided at one point that it would be neat if their soldiers wore big ass helmets resembling gods that they can wear optionally for no reason, but only on Abydos this coincidentally worked towards the effect that the natives were dumb enough to mistake them for actual heads because orientals are just retarded like that?

also strange how Abydos is apparently the only planet in the galaxy where this happened, while everywhere else just shrugged those helmets off as "well that's just the uniform"?

nah it's actually bad writing

>its a best side character episode

Abydos is a Desert with 1 larger village close to a mine and no technology beyond early metal tools.

Chulak is Apophis's crown world and can construct 1 mile long space ships.

The societal difference is enormous.

There's also that medieval world where the people thought Sokars Unas servant was a literal demon so it's not just Abydos.

>it's a replicators episode

Do people really not like replicator episodes?

>no gauntlets

Nope. Especially not the ones when they look like people.

how do they wipe their asses?

i raged hard when SGA introduced their OWN human form replicators

enough
with the fucking replicators

>help i'm a turtle and i can't get up

SHEL KEK NEM RON

that's what the series should have done, and have the snake ones follow the same pattern

I would say Ba'al was just like the others, but then ended up having more close encounters with Sg1 and learned from them, while at the same time he learned from the defeats of other goa'uld

>also strange how Abydos is apparently the only planet in the galaxy where this happened, while everywhere else just shrugged those helmets off as "well that's just the uniform"

I'm fairly certain SG1 encountered lots of planets where the Goa'uld only visited every few decades and the people were still primitive enough to revere the helmeted Jaffa as inhuman. Either way, by the end of the series the helmets not only became less of a plot point due to budget constraints, but because of the Goa'uld losing more and more ground, and I think a few of them even started openly recruiting humans to supplement their Jaffa.

Ground combat wasn't important for the goa'uld. Jaffa existed to scare primitives, stand around looking like soldiers of the gods, hold a gate / assault a gate so some goa'uld you hate doesn't escape from the orbital invasion you are starting, and do raids on other goa'uld (and you don't want to escalate a raid, as you have many other goa'uld to worry about and escalation means bringing out the warships).

Real instrument of goa'uld is space power. Ground soldiers are useless if you conquer the orbitals. It's ha'taks that break or make a goa'uld that wants to rule. Anubis understood this, his Kull warrior's most important use was to kill other goa'uld, so he could then absorb their forces.

I just threw my hands up in defeat during the "sword in the stone" episode

youtu.be/H3c1ZWXHRLQ
wow

OUTTA MY WAY GOOLD FUCKING SHITS

Of all the spacefaring races:

>Ancients: extinct and those that remained had ascended beyond the physical plane
>Asgard: Dying off, not enough left to challenge the System Lords
>Nox: bleeding heart pacifists
>Furlings: who the fuck knows

Before the Tau'ri showed up on the galactic stage it's very likely the Goa'uld hadn't fought a war against another race in millennia. They didn't need to advance and thus they stagnated.

the Tau'ri race is very curious

agreed, the helmets were fucking awesome in the movie.

The Tollan were advanced enough to keep them out. The Serrakin had also freed a world from the Goa'uld. Martin Lloyd's people were pretty advanced but got wrecked in a war with them. The Aschen were capable of completely fucking the Goa'uld.

motherfucking anubis.

always the coolest

Didn't the Tollan get fucking rekt as soon as the Goa'uld could get past their shield or air defenses or whatever it was

and I don't remember any of those other races, lmao. It's been nearly a decade since I last watched Stargate

>5 minutes into Kelnoreem you turn around and he gives you this look

wat do?

Tollan were so fucking frustrating.

They thought they were fucking gods. Pacificied pussies with their head in the sand saying "it's fine" like a mantra until they all got wiped out in one sweep.

They're the euros and the arabs were the Goauld.

>it's not a asgardians episode
I still hate them for shitting on the ayys so hard

Anubis showed up with new shields that protected his ships from their ion cannons. Up until they they could easily blow away Ha'taks.

>They're the euros and the arabs were the Goauld.
wow

and that bastard smoking guy from the X-files actually WAS an alien

>it's a RDA's comedy antics are completely out of control so jack just doesn't take anything serious anymore post-s7 episode

if they gave them too sophisticated weapons and trained them to soldier they would become too powerful and the risk of rebellion would be too great.

I was pissed the jackal heads didnt come back when anubis returned

stargate was an okay movie that spawned a really shit franchise that people only like because they grew up watching it.

wtf I never saw these

yeah me too but then again if they had, the question would have been why was Ra's first prime wearing the headgear of another system lord's Jaffa?

these are fan-made

same reason he had horus guards, he was the supreme system lord

kek yourself, Roland.
Nobody would remember Stargate if there isn't the franchise.

Best scene of the movie

no the reason he had horus guards was that those were the default jaffa of his family, which is why Heru'ur had them too, Teal'c explains this in s2

>gatebuilder
>survives in ice for millions of years
>dies of intergalactic AIDS in one episode

Because they needed to keep them subjugated. Anubis started pushing the boundaries that though, but even then he enforced loyalty more effectively than other system lords.

Also, because the Goauld were in many ways tech scavengers, and very vain. They were far up their own ass about how undefeatable they were, even in their own squabbles.

I'm native american and one of the most annoying things about being native american besides being native american is white people telling you about how they're also native american. This episode makes me laugh so hard because the doctor lady in Antarctica was also native and when Carter asks her about it she says "My grandfather was 1/16 Cheyenne."
>mfw