/kkkg/ - King Kaiju Kino General

What do you think of Shin Godzilla? Are you excited for the 2017 animated movie?

Does the King Kong and Godzilla mash up on the American side have a chance?

Talk about big monsters.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GfiOVx4jLqU
youtube.com/watch?v=odnhwyKWKsE
youtube.com/watch?v=dpSnDsFhdQU
youtube.com/watch?v=Smnn2ewWbnk
youtube.com/watch?v=N4EscsCBMkE
youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI
vimeo.com/162641948
youtube.com/watch?v=YDtKAFMSQdw
youtube.com/watch?v=5AgKMx_MwTE
youtube.com/watch?v=mdU8dyjgXU0
youtube.com/watch?v=HuSr92IoTy0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I am pretty aroused by the whole thing, except for the king kong vs Godzilla, that sounds pretty stupid.

>there will never be an European release

I mean, it was stupid the first time so I won't disagree.

Stupid and Goji go hand in hand though.

SPOILER, DO NOT WATCH IF YOU PLAN TO WATCH THE MOVIE IN THEATERS

youtube.com/watch?v=GfiOVx4jLqU

youtube.com/watch?v=odnhwyKWKsE

youtube.com/watch?v=dpSnDsFhdQU

First scene was leaked today but it was took down.

torrent

How can Legendary even compete?

For some reason I was more impressed to find out Shin Goji was full CGI than I was with the CGI in the 2014 movie.

Really? It's not exactly high quality cgi

>Anno made the best Godzilla film since 1954

シン・ゴジラ Shin Godzilla
新 New
神 God
真 True
震 Quake
審 Judgement
BRAVO ANNO

It looks better somehow in most of the scenes, the textures in G14 are better but he moves like a videogame and has no weight or presence, also it is always covered in smoke or darkness.

Here we actually can see him.

It's not, but it had me totally fooled. Some of it was obvious rough, the helicopters, his initial reveal, etc.

But when fourth form Goji was just going that standing still shit I totally thought he was a guy in a suit.

Eh that's not true, G14 moves with plenty of weight. I hated that the only fight was in pitch darkness though.

>Friends and I enjoying movie
>Were in front of a group of girls who'd laugh at every scene

The fuck is with cinemas and groups like this? It'd be a panning shot of Goji and they'd be losing their shit

Why do you think?

Most of the time he didn't, it looks composited into another CGI clusterfuck of a city shile Shin Goji is CGI composited into a real city.

I saw it on Wednesday and it was the same. It'd be like a cut to a new room and they'd just start laughing.

>mfw stuck with the 2014 burger version

release the torrent

Why was Godzilla 2014 BLACKED?

Which had the better atomic breath? Can Shin Goji even compete?

best kaiju.

Yes but went back to what he was supposed to be, so I think that it is a mistake to go back to dumb old Gojira.

are you fucking serious you homo?

Don't know what you're talking about, look at stuff like his tail swing at the muto and tell me that's weightless (of course you have to up the gamma to fucking SEE it...). G14 has plenty of flaws but vfx isn't really one of them

Why was he so fat?

Yeah this.

Don't get me wrong. This is possibly my favorite Godzilla design right now out of all the others! But I wish that they had used more practicals.

The CGI of Godzilla's head looks so good close up as well as shots of him walking slowly but other times the CGI could have been improved such as with the fire.

Daily Reminder that the Burger Godzilla has to be weak in order to compete with King BLM Kong

They were trying to get your attention, faggot.

Shin Goji is the most OP incarnation of Godzilla yet. He would fuck Clapzilla up.

T-Zilla

they were trading bbc pics on their phones, not even watching the movie

Yeah same. There was 2 guys behind me who giggled.

Am I the only one who found the fish-gill-Godzilla creepy with his eyes?

I saw this film with my friend who had not seen 1 image of what Godzilla looked like in this, and when that scene of Godzilla strolling down the street showed up, I heard my friend go "oh what the..." cos he was suddenly shocked with the design.

Perfect reaction. I wish Godzilla looked like this longer in the movie. But that scene when he suddenly stood up straight, stayed still for a few moments before he started to morph - was very well done.

My favorite Godzilla design

Why was he so T H I C C?

Shin Godzilla seems like glass cannon at the moment

He has far more limitations than most previous versions (power drainage, needs to hibernate, got knocked out by trains and buildings) but his beam weapons and rapid evolution are OP

In a straight up old fashioned brawl I don't think he can do much yet with tiny arms and limited mobility but clearly if there's a sequel where he fights another monster he'll evolve to suit the circumstance

I bet ShinGoji lazer cut through poor 2014zilla's body like a hot knife through butter.

>americans afraid of zillas

Lower level Godzilla would've been creepier in an animated movie, the design didn't really work with the level of CG they were using

Ehhh so in next a few years both Toho and WB are making big monsters?

Aren't people going to be overstimulated?

We get the American King Kong movie next year. No American movie with Godzilla until say 3 years time

>overstimulated?
only if they are lizardfucker freaks

If this means no more superhero movies i'm all in

>Are you excited for the 2017 animated movie?
What's the title? Sorry I am a newfag to this universe

superhero stories are older than Godzilla, don't be that guy

>smashing cars out of his path with his face
How could you not love this scene?

Do you think Legendary / WB feel threatened that such a severely handicapped movie went the distance?

They are complementary. They don't compete

This. But after that i hope they let him go full goji

Judging by the flood of capeshit, I'd say no

Godzilla: Back to Action

featuring the new single by Ke$ha and The Biebs

Not even Anno is that arrogant

Oh wait
>Anno initially turned down the proposal, saying that "mine might not be able to match with the original"
>When announcing Evangelion Rebuild project, Anno claims that the anime industry still hasn't done anything since he made Eva
He is actually that arrogant

So sorry the death knell of capeshit is ringing, Cred Forumsmblr.

American girl or science girl?

Just Godzilla

never heard of titan legends

they have a new movie in the Potter universe coming up, doubt they care

>featuring the new single by Ke$ha
Kesha is still making music?? I thought her sueing that music producer cancelled her career or something...

>They don't compete

Yeah, because Toho in one movie far outdid Legendary's mediocre efforts. I guess they can't compete.

Kamata-kun is cute!

>handicapped
>Anno movie

handicapped is His second name

I am not lying. I found all the human character scenes really well paced and acted.

There is perhaps only 1 scene that I would shorten or cut otherwise all what they talked about was intriguing and did not at all feel like it should not have been inserted into the movie.

As for Godzilla: I do wish that he had maybe 1 or 2 more extra scenes which would have just made this movie feel a bit more complete. Otherwise it was well written, I liked how they ended the movie.

Alright, give me your ideal Kaiju Cinematic Universe lineup. I wanna hear it.

Should I watch the new Godzilla?

all of them, it's gonna be a BvS style clusterfucker anyway so you might as well go all out

It was a 10/10 with the way Anno ended the movie with cutting out the sound and showing this image before the credits rolled.

Fatzilla
Kong
Ghidorah
Mothra
Rodan
Gigan and Megalon Buddy Cop film

So far just Godzilla, might get a subtitle closer to release.

There isn't much info other than this poster and that Gen Urobuchi is directing.

no, just read the wikipedia article and the parents guide on imdb and you are ready to discuss the important parts

>A 4 and a half hour film featuring every monster with so many human characters
10/10 would watch!!

It's not better than the original, but it's the best since. My new 2nd favorite Godzilla film.

Gojira vs. MechaGojira
Jet Jaguar is a Eva like robot driver

I wanted to marry science girl

nah you need to watch it. It doesn't feel the same if you just read the plot or just look at pictures without actually seeing it with the film's soundtrack (which is very powerful).

I was not expecting that great orchestral choir when he shut out his beams for first time

But is the movie good?

Oops, I meant he's writing the screenplay. My bad.

I'm pretty sure he's equal parts self deprecating and full of shit. Probably not depressed, so much as bipolar at this point.

Why would girls even go to that movie?

It is not good, it is great

for facebook/instagram (You)s

He was depressed but has recovered from it. He took a lead role in Miyazaki's final Ghibli film despite saying long ago that he hated the sound of his own voice and never liked acting in things.

He's changed.

Gojira vs Gypsy danger.

Kawaii

I wonder how previous G ever shoot down planes without this one's radar

this desu fampai

They have (you)s too?

I am happy to have seen such an epic cinematic moment in the cinema

youtube.com/watch?v=Smnn2ewWbnk

HE'S A BIG GUY

For YOU... S.A.

Gettin jiggy wit it
Na na na na na na na nana
Na na na na nana
Gettin jiggy wit it

Its just funny how flip floppy he's been all these years.

You go to Cred Forums and you'll have Reifags saying he's regressed into Otaku fanboyism and saying he specifically targeted their character for assassination. IMO he basically nuked everyone's character development in 3.0.

You watch Shiki Jitsu and you get the sense he's a dude who just doesn't want to do anime anymore and wants to find someone he can relate with and heal with in person.

You watch old Eva and you get probably the most earnest "be a nerd but try and get outside and open up to people" message I've seen. Its hilarious when people call it pretentious, it comes across as a dude pleading with his audience to open up or they're gonna die alone. All those r9k incels on this site always sound like they're reading from his scripts.

I watched kingdom of dreams and madness and he's still got that "awkward kid show and tell look" when he's doing his vocal recordings.

Honestly I think the man is fascinating, just a huge nerd that even after all these years hasn't become normie at all, but has had success, got married.

>You go to Cred Forums and
stopped reading there 2bh

>Godzilla
>Kong
also introduces Kumonga and Kamacuras
>Godzilla II
Introduces Mothra and slowly introduces the concept of space travel and exploration so Ghidora isn't so jarring when he shows up in a later movie
>King Kong vs Godzilla
>Mothra
Introduces Battera and Gyaos
>Invasion of the Astro Monster
Introduces King Ghidorah and Gigan and the concept of building mechs to fight monster, despite one not being in this movie
>Godzilla III
Introduces Mecha Godzilla and Megalon
>Gamera
>Ultraman
Introduces Kamen Rider in an after credits sequence
>Monster Island
Introduces some lesser enemies like that dragon one who's name escapes me
>Kong II
Introduces robot king Kong, being a cyborg resurrection of king Kong
>Kamen Rider
Introduces Jet Jaguar.

That's just off the top of my head. It would need a lot of revisions before I gave a list I was totally happy with.

eh, could say the same about here.

When they're not being xenophobic they do actually know their shit. But there are some genuine pits of autism in there.

I had no idea about his other forms going in. That first wide shot to 2nd Form Goji in the street was such a shock. I loved it.

>Kumonga
there's already a giant spider in the Kong trailer, pham

Slap Godzilla vs Gamera on the end of here

He needs his own movie

Then id say we are off to a good start

>big climatic fight is King of Monsters vs Literally Who

I wasn't expecting to see Eva references at all in Shin Goji since Anno seems to have become very cynical about it.

But not only did Asuka make a small cameo (no Rei), but one of the more iconic songs from NGE was featured all over the Shin Goji OST.

Was anyone else's theatre fucking insufferable last night?
>toho logos come on
>everybody bursts into wild applause
>movie cuts to scene that's supposed to be tense and serious
>laugh uncontrollably
>that shot where the 3 biologists are sitting made the room shake with laughter
>laugh at all the dialogue
>LITERALLY FUCKING SILENT DURING AND AFTER THE BEAM SCENE
That's when I wanted to fucking murder every last person there starting wirh the women and children. Literally every person in there was a fucking shit pleb.
Some of the scenes were funny, yes but my fucking room ouldn't tell the fucking difference.
I was lucky to be drunk and high otherwise i woukd have left and waited for a torrent.
Also what the fuck is wrong with that fuck Anno, literally half of godzilla's screen time is him standing fucking still. Biggest fucking gripe.

autismkino

Underrated

Well they were having better conversations on the new movie over there than here anyway.

I had the perfect audience until godzilla changed into his final form. That is when gorillas and chimps came in, probably snuck in, since who pays to see half a movie. They kept talking randomly and laughing, one even sounded like the kid from the grudge when he did the cat like vocalization, fuk them

Goji standing still was super Anno. He loves lumbering giants. The idea was to make him seem godlike. He moved a lot in early forms but once he became full Godzilla he just walked forward.

I don't know, it was suppose to be somewhat humorous until godzilla stood up. At least they were able to respect what was going on when shit was getting real.

What? Where?

this is every movie I go to. it doesn't matter what it is, people laugh at the stupidest, most benign shit. I don't get it at all.

Best film music of 2016
youtube.com/watch?v=N4EscsCBMkE

there's a bit where camera is on the gound looking up into the canopy, some soldiers are also looking up and a big ass spider is moving around, but its legs are pretty thin so most people didn't notice

I can't wait to see this movie.

Also: I kind of find it funny that Anno put Evangelion on hold to make Shin Godzilla and the maker of Madoka put his series on hold to make a Godzilla movie a year later.

I've noticed most people go in expecting light entertainment, no matter the movie

This and "Who Will Know" are my new favorite Godzilla tracks

>tfw the music to that scene starts

I loved how they used music from the 54' film

It was so good

Who /wearavoid/ here?

youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI

Did the original Godzilla March end up in the movie?

that mixed with stuff from the evangelion soundtrack was such an incredible mix.

There is the Godzilla vs King Kong and the Terror of Mechagodzilla arrangements in the movie, and many more in the credits.

yes and it was glorious

How did Asuka cameo?

Urobuchi didn't put Madoka on hold, Rebellion was the end. He made other stuff, including unironic AOTY Thunderbolt Fantasy.

That scene with the people tweeting about the monster. One of them had an Asuka avatar.

That hit too close to home

ooo nice i didnt notice that. I kept looking for evangelion t-shirts in the crowds of people

Senpai
vimeo.com/162641948

>Rebellion was the end.
Bullshit! Isn't he making another one after Rebellion!? What sort of shitty ending is that!?

I don't remember any of the characters names, but some of his archetypes were very clear.

The cute nosleep girl was somewhat Reiish, though more like Rei when she starts to get tired of Gendo's shit and starts sneering at everyone. Which to be honest is best Rei.

Koyoko or whatever her name was like a mixture of Misato and Asuka.

I was actually glad that the characters were relatively flat in this, I don't trust Anno to write characters now that he's feeling good.

Shiro Sagisu's new style that he started doing with the Rebuilds and Berserk movies is just some fucking great shit if you like Choirs. Like you can say its generic hype music, but there's something really fucking genuine with how hype its trying to be.

Children's Choirs for the old "next episode music" youtube.com/watch?v=YDtKAFMSQdw

THE FUCKING ANTHEM: youtube.com/watch?v=5AgKMx_MwTE

Shame the Rebuilds aren't well written as their production values and music are fucking fantastic.

ALSO WHEN THE FUCK IS FUNIMATION GOING TO LICENSE THE BLURAYS

>got married
He made it...

>SUPER REALISTIC GOD LIKE GOJIRA
>WWWD IF IT WAS REAL
>MODERN WEAPONS AND STRATEGIES
>but let's use 100 year old weapon and explosion sound effects
>and not even alter the roar so it doesn't sound like a complete dub
I walked out when i heard those stupid weapon effects.

He married a Kawoshin Doujjin writer.

I think she fucks him with a strapon while he calls her Ikuhara

Reminder that Homura did NOTHING wrong.

(You)

Shin Godzilla was a reboot of a 60 year old movie, it used sound effects and music just as old. It was full of homage to something very classic.

Yet it also ended up one of the slickest and modern movies I've seen recently.

your money kid lol
spoiledbrat

If nothing else, the Rebuilds provided excellent battle scenes with decent music to accompany them. They're great to just throw on the second monitor or TV while I shitpost. Every movie has a great climactic battle scene with an Angel within the first 10 minutes to get you hooked.

Also: Anno and his lasers man. What's with that dude and his lasers? Fucking phenomenal.
youtube.com/watch?v=mdU8dyjgXU0

>The cute nosleep girl was somewhat Reiish

stopped reading there. so this random research scientist was similar to a clone created to harken the unification of all human souls? okay mane.

Should we calm down a bit?

FUCK YOU NOBODY CAN STOP THIS RIDE

She was just a little anti-social and grumpy.

The absolute mad man. Anno saved Godzilla. Where does he go from here? Retire after finishing Rebuild, get his hands on Ultraman, or do something original and maybe smaller in scale.

here are some quotes from my pleb gf who loves capeshit after seeing shin godzilla:

>it didn't seem like a new movie - it looked really old.

>I didn't like reading so much. I couldn't pay attention to what was going on

>I couldn't tell who was the main character.

so as you can tell from these quotes, shin is a very good film and an accurate pleb filter.

It indeed fills the definition of a pleb filter in all the things that make a good movie.

exactly. an average Jap woman.

That girl is super cute

How are the other Godzilla movies? This is the first Godzilla movie I've seen, and I loved it. I'm afraid I won't like the previous movies since they seem like they're really cheesy, both in visuals and plot

If they are not your cup of tea, just watch 1954 to notice the similarities with this one, then come back and ask again.

>Anno made a top-tier Godzilla movie and saved the franchise.
I can't get over this. Who could have expected this after 3.33?

>Captcha: ANNO2012 PIKE

My advice is that you fuck off.

They vary in cheese. I suggest watching the 80s movies and the original if you want to avoid as much of it as possible.

Do you think he could do a Japanese version of Frank Herbert's Dune?

After seeing his Godzilla: I absolutely love the way he edits his scenes as well as his use of sound (the emotional music when Godzilla fires his beam for the first time which symbolically represents the suffering and loneliness of Godzilla - very powerful) as well as the decision to have no sound during the last 10 seconds of the movie.

He definitely has so much talent that I want to see more of.

The 1954 one is a masterpiece. It is not cheesy at all but is very serious just like this one

Haha I can't wait until 3.0+1.0! It'll surely hit theaters soon, right, fellow Evangelion fan?

I remember you all doubting him, not me though

>yfw seeing Kamata-kun for the first time

It was then I knew Anno's Wild Ride had started and wasn't going to slow down any time soon.

I knew he was a good director but I wasn't expecting Shin Godzilla to be this good. I never expected to see a new Godzilla movie be this good.

Yes I mean the anti social research scientist with a bob cut who'se major developements range primarily involve finally seeing her smile in the movie was similar to Anno's anti social orphan with a bob cut who's major character character developments include being able to smile at success.

Do i need to go into depth on her deification to even bring her up or something?

> I suggest watching the 80s movies
No. Watch the Honda essentials: Gojira (1954), Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah, and Monster Zero. Maybe GMK (2001), Godzilla vs Hedorah, and Godzilla 2000.

This general was a good idea. Hopefully it won't become cancerous like /got/

We should be alright so long as /m/ and Cred Forumsmblr fucking shits stay out or are shamed if they come here

How well did the movie actually do in Japan? Did they have any plans for a sequel?

It grossed like 8 times its budget and became a cultural phenomenon parodied in media including anime and manga.

What the fuck. I've actually noticed ever 2014 came out there's been a growth of godzilla/mlp crossover cancer.

youtube.com/watch?v=HuSr92IoTy0

His time is probably limited. The man is almost sixty.

I heard it did very well and went back to #2 couple weeks after release

>Did they have any plans for a sequel?
The ending basically screams sequel

Jesus Christ.

It also is the 5th highest grossing movie of the franchise, the highest grossing not counting inflation and will have an anime sequel next year written by Urobuchi

>Critics whining about no other monsters like Gojira isn't capable of carrying his own movie
He's the King of Monsters, every kaiju that ever shared the screen with him was privileged to be in his superior presence.

>Critics complaining the movie was "just" the "standard" Godzilla story again, nothing new
It's Toho's first retelling of the original Gojira and the first actual Godzilla movie in 12 years. How is this overdone when superheroes can get rebooted twice per decade.

>Critics bitching about all the "talking parts" and a lack of Godzilla
This is no different than any Godzilla movie. Only difference is that the human parts of this one were all really slick and well directed with a huge cast of characters that felt real.

>Critics think Godzilla isn't supposed to be a bad guy
Fuck the 2014 movie for reinforcing this in every shitter's mind. He's an allegory for the nuke. Seeing him back as a destructive and tormented force of nature obliterating everything in his path was fucking awesome. He hasn't been as genuinely scary since 1954.

because it exposed western pleb audience of degenerates to """""Godzilla""""" with a mediocre movie

I can promise you Cred Forumsmblr hates Shin Godzilla because muh fun, too serious, too much talk, dem Japs did Pearl Harbor, not enough quips etc

Start with the original. It's probably most similar in tone.

>Fuck the 2014 movie for reinforcing this in every shitter's mind.
I agree user. I absolutely hated how they made Godzilla good in the 2014 one.

To me, I always considered Godzilla the big bad beast of a monster

Based Anno.

woops meant for

/m/ is fine, but fuck Cred Forums.

>How is this overdone when superheroes can get rebooted twice per decade.

Because that's even more overdone and nobody respects it. A cinema original like Godzilla deserves better.

/m/'s Godzilla threads are literally Rebbit and tumblr-lite

I am utterly baffled by people complaining that it is "standard godzilla", it's literally the first dark, horrific Godzilla movie since 1954 and it even brings new, modern political commentary to the table.

When I see reviews of godzilla shit it makes me think that 90% of these "godzilla fans" who grew up so close to the source material haven't actually seen any of the movies.

I'm looking at the /m/ thread now and it's pretty much the same as this. Stop trying to make some stupid board war

He got better. Shin Godzilla was a masterpiece.

Nice numbers. And yeah, I haven't seen a Godzilla look this terrifying (his fish like form which was so brilliant).

Do Americans really just want to watch Godzilla battle another monster and then kill that monster as he waves to the humans and swims back to the sea?

should add the 1990s Gamera trilogy to this as highly recommended.

Can someone edit it to resemble an angry pepe?

>it's literally the first dark, horrific Godzilla movie since 1954 and it even brings new, modern political commentary to the table.

Sorry Satan but I think you need to take your own advice about seeing the movies.

Chris Stuckman's review was cringe inducing. He's literally lying for nerd cred the entire time. Fuck that guy.

How are we not discussing the editing, cinematography of this film? There is so many great shots to talk about

>That wideshot of Godzilla in the background when he is still and "resting"

If that's for Goji 1984 I must apologize but that is one of maybe 3 Godzilla movies I've never seen.

Because Cred Forums can't tell good cinematography apart from normal one.

The movie uses so many unique and spectacular composition and angles it would be too troublesome to explain each one of them.

Fuck off, Kamata-kun does not deserve to be tainted by that dumb frog

So you're literally talking out your ass right now

Good job. Take your own advice and give credit where it's deserved.

Shin is the first movie with just Goji and no other monster since 1984, so it's still a big deal.

> Monster Zero and Hedorah should only be considered
> Godzilla vs Mothra should be considered
> Final Wars, Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II, and DAM are highly recommended
This list is garbage

yeah like that other user who said
>"why is the camera pulling away from then as they are becoming small in the frame when they are talking outside"?
Despite them talking about Japan being destroyed by a Nuclear... people ought to pay attention

>Do Americans really just want to watch Godzilla battle another monster and then kill that monster as he waves to the humans and swims back to the sea?

Yes. I would prefer this to pretend depth - Godzilla is popular culture, it's a sticker album, it's a Big Mac carton, it shouldn't be attempting social comment, and the original is a chore to watch because of it.

I'm sorry dude but I've seen almost all of them and parts of 1984, I just don't think Goji looks scary in it. He still looks kind of frightening in the original Gojira, they did a really good job filming him in the dark.

final wars is stupid as all hell but is fun.

How about you go fuck yourself you idiot, Godzilla was born 100% of political commentary before being turned into a children's superhero. He works as both but after 50 years of saturday morning monster fighting Shin-Gojira is more than welcome.

>Godzilla was born 100% of political commentary before being turned into a children's superhero.
SOMEONE GETS IT!

>ITT: user calls Godzilla 'Goji' to seem Japanese even though Godzilla's Japanese name is someone saying 'Godzilla' with a Japanese accent and speech impediment.

Kamata-kun is the best!

Monster Zero is pretty boring senpai. I feel the list is fair as a "priority" list for seeing things that are different or are staples in godzilla filmography.

The suit looks great from certain angles but it was supposed to have animatronic eyes that didn't work in the end so he ended up looking weird

I don't see how that affects anything too much though since it was regardless the first truly grim Godzilla since the original and expanded further to include Cold War tensions

No it's not, Godzilla was a term invented by americans for the 1956 american release of the first movie, Gojira was the original name of the creature.

You seriously seem like a newfag trying hard to fit in
This isn't some fringe opinion nobody has heard of, people have said it for decades and it was the main intent behind the Heisei movies to bring Godzilla back from a child's superhero.

He was shit as political commentary. He works as a children's superhero. What is the comment being made by Godzilla? 'Nuclear weapons are bad!' 'Fallout is hazardous!' It's embarrassing to hear fans croon on about such platitudes.

Man, fuck off. Stick to capeshit or whatever pleb bullshit Hollywood dumps out in theaters

Wow you really know nothing do you?

>The name "Godzilla" is a transliteration of Gojira (ゴジラ?), a combination of two Japanese words: gorira (ゴリラ?), meaning gorilla, and kujira (鯨 or クジラ), meaning whale. At one planning stage, the concept of "Gojira" was described as "a cross between a gorilla and a whale." The two words "whale" and "gorilla" describe Godzilla's traditional characteristics. The word whale represents his aquatic lifestyle and his bulky size. The word gorilla represents his sheer strength and the strategic thinking he uses when fighting against other monsters.

Gojira is literally saying 'Godzilla' with a Japanese accent. That's what the name actually is.

>by americans

But you are all white Americans. Why are you pretending? Do you have your FB location set as 'Tokyo, Japan'?

> Monster Zero is pretty boring
How? It has one of the best casts and best fights in the franchise. The movie is freaking comfy.

Jesus fook that's some grade a cringe.

You don't so very smart to be honest.

Any depth or message in any movie or book can sound trivial if you put it like that.

OK, if you prefer to put it this way, 'Godzilla' is 'Gojira' said with an American accent. It's the same fucking sounds. Only a pretentious tool pretends to think of Godzilla as 'Goji'. It's like when white people refer to 'Miyazaki-san'.

You are incorrect, look it up, or watch the actual first movie.

No, I'm not american, I'm european, there are more than two countries in the world

Monster Zero is great faggot, be quiet

You are a fucking moron who has no concept of political commentary. Godzilla represented nuclear devastation when the concept was still fresh, considering Japan had just recently been fucking nuked. It was an allegory from the perspective of the victims, and put the concept of nuclear destruction into the form of an actual monster in a time when monster/horror movies were almost entirely dumb shlock.

I mean damn you are fucking dumb and ignorant of context, you may as well listen to Mozart and other important classical composers and go "durr who cares its just violins and pianos and shit"

the fanbase calls godzilla goji, get over it, its faster to type/say

waah dont kill the dumb animals that can level entire human cities in minutes muh feels

Maybe I have to rewatch it but I didn't remember caring much for the acting and general story. The wacky alien design was charming though.

I don't watch pleb movies, I mostly watch art cinema and classics. When I watch pleb movies, I want them to be pure pop art, worthy of Cottafavi, or Mario Bava, or Don Weis.

When we're talking about a successful populist franchise, pleb appeal is what we want. Otherwise it's just pomposity for an audience too dumb and lazy for high culture, and too misanthropic for fun. And nobody wants that. All you're left with then is... the films of Christopher Nolan.

Sorry tumblr but they call him Godzilla unless talking about the suits

you're retarded, people say Goji because it is cute and faster to type.

I literally hate that guy. Not gonna watch his review so what were his points?

Here's the thing, though: it can't. Genuinely deep messages in movies and books can't be accurately summarized like that. Godzilla's can.

does it bother you when people call batman - bats
when they call superman - supes?
spider man - spidey?

what a fantastic post, you are truly a model Cred Forums denizen. that must be why this board is such shit.

It boils down to not being a straightforward action flick. He calls evangelion evanjellyon at some point.

Can we please discuss the ending shot of Shin Godzilla?

Was the tail about to morph into a new head? What about those humanoid alien looking creatures that seemed to have been spawning out of the tail? Really unnerving and a fantastic ending.

Stop giving him (You)s, he's baiting

here

Tell me a genuinely deep message in 200 movies, every singles message needs to be different and with more depth than G54's one.

Sorry but the burden of proof is on you.

>people say Goji because it is cute

Ah I see Cred Forumsmblr has arrived.

He keeps saying he grew up with Godzilla and it was his childhood, then cites three TriStar movie and King Kong vs. Godzilla as his stand out favourites growing up.

He then proceeded to say all the characters in Shin were shit, the plot was just a "standard" Godzilla movie that did exactly what we've "seen a million times"

I know what it's an allegory for, and it's shit. The movie is dumb schlock - all monster movies are dumb schlock, but some dumb shlock is pretentiously dumb rather than goofy. A schlock movie that knows its place, as the Godzilla movies did later, can be a glorious work of art. A dirge of silly tedium like the original Godzilla isn't that.

/m/ is fine, and Cred Forums has had good Godzilla threads before. I've never seen a thread like the one you capped.

That's not why you type 'Goji', you type 'Goji' for the same reason you order Pocky online wearing your Dragonball Z shirt.

Now everyone knows you are trolling.

>ITT people pretend to be high art while crying about there being too much boring taking parts in Shin Goji

>Cred Forums has had good Godzilla threads before.

Sorry you fucking tumblr reject but not all of us want to act out your ropleplaying fantasies where you pretend to be Gamera and other monsters and then compare kaiju movies to capeshit and pretend Godzilla is Batman

Fucking trash stay out of here.

>the burden of proof

Is on you, as you're the one making the claim. Did you miss the part where I said that genuinely deep messages can't be summarized like that?

Uhh... no? I've never seen that shit either. The threads I've been in are usually good discussion and/or comic storytimes.

It's great when all you have to do is tell the truth in order to troll people.

Present a movie you consider genuinely deep then.

If only the Melee was edited to Reeee it would be perfect.

Is this the part where we start shitposting?

here's your (you)

unaware on what pocky is, and I don't own Dragonball anything

>shitposting
stop

But what you said is an opinion, a bad one at that.

The first to make a ridiculous claim was you. Even if G54's message is a little heavyhanded, that is not what is important about it, it is more about execution and the tasteful way the message was implemented in the movie.

The movie is also about human nature and has other minor themes such as responsibility, duty and self-sacrifice, it is not just "Nuclear weapons are bad"

Do you think we can get Mike to pick on him more so he'll kill himself?

Uhm, I don't go near DBZ I'm not a pleb. I only read josei manga

Most of the people here watch capeshit. If there were more posters like me the place would be in better shape.

>people complaining about how other people spell something

autism

>evanjellyon

That's how it's pronounced. Unless you're saying 'evangerrion' to pretend you're Japanese.

its supposed to be a hard "g", like in gif

Its a hard G nigger.

The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach.

Haven't seen that one, what message does it have?

Gif is a soft g

>a bad one at that

Your attempt to pretend to have seriously considered what I said falls at the first hurdle with this childish comment.

No, I described what I saw, a dirge too dull to be successful as the only thing it could have been. Fortunately, the series later blossomed, which is the reason the original film is still discussed now. To think 'tasteful' is an adjective of approval is a red flag of philinstinism.

Every movie about humans is about human nature, this is Patrick Bateman-tier critical commentary. The minor themes you note are no less implicitly present in any fifties creature sci-fi where the military gets involved.

Made me smile, subtle work, 7/10.

Is the first part of the word Evangelion pronounced eh-van or ee-van

You are trying too hard now, you are literally saying nothing, you still cannot support your claims just by undermining mine and spouting buzzwords.

I bet you like Nana.

But that's completely incorrect in English. The word, which was not invented by Anno, is pronounced with a 'j'.

Like I said twice already, it can't be summarized in a couple of phrases the way Godzilla's can. You're asking me to provide all the examples for your counter-argument to me, which you don't have.

But its not an English word. Its Greek. And Greek pronounce the "angelion" part with a hard g

You are wrong user.

It already started

This thread turned into autism so fast

You don't have an argument so I don't have to counter it, I think you are just afraid to be proven wrong, you can't talk about the movie you like because then you would be exposed.

I haven't made any claims, I've simply described what I saw.

There's arguments for both. Since the shortened version of evangelion is "Eh-va" (the name Eva is pronounced that way), people usually go with "eh" rather than "ee". But "Eve" (what the Eva's are symbolically named after) is spelt with "ee."

Its complicated too in the dubs of the show because the standard show (NGE) used "eh" but the movie (EoE) used "ee"

No, the English word derived from the Greek has existed for centuries, and is pronounced with a soft g sound.

Yeah, evangelical is spelt with a j, but Anno explicitly stated that Evangelion is a greek word

This gambit you're attempting only works if you've seen the film too. Once I named one you hadn't seen, you had nothing to go on but my description. I'm not typing an essay on The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach so that someone with the mind of a child can reply, without reading, 'sounds shallow to me'.

It's one of my favorites user, I love Nana.

I liked Pacific Rim, more monster fights should involve swinging boats at each other

kek nigga you're in a Godzilla thread please go tip your fedora back to /r/eddit

No, evangelion is a word that exists in English, derived from the Greek. The word in the title is never rendered in Greek, which would be pic related, but in English. Anno doesn't get to change the English language.

He said ALL Godzilla movies were the same. Yep. No differences in genre, tone, or narrative. And he takes points off Shin Godzilla for being unimaginative and not taking enough risks yet treats The Force Awakens like pure cinematic gold straight from the heavens. What a hypocrite and a joke.

He is more concerned with his own nerd cred than actually giving a good review. What he said about Godzilla as a franchise was a lie, no other way to interpret it. His short list of beloved movies be "grew up with" included the fucking 1998 American Godzilla.

He has never seen an actual Godzilla, he doesn't know anything about it. But he claims he's a super fan.

I was asked for a movie I consider genuinely deep, so I named one. I'm quite happy to talk pop art, as I did here . What I'm mocking here is pretention, not populism. Why would anyone watch Godzilla when they can watch Invasion of Astro-Monster or Destroy All Monsters?

Man, that is what happens when you defend yourself with a random movie when mine was one that we both watched, if I'm not informed about your movie you have to explain it so we can keep the discussion on point.

But I won't keep up with this nonsense anymore, you can have your opinion.

Enough shitposting.

What was up with Godzilla's tail at the end? I assume it's supposed to be his next evolutionary step, but how would that work in a sequel? That last shot seemed like it was setting up a sequel, but making Godzilla's next step splitting into a bunch of small human monsters would make for a shitty Godzilla movie.

You asked for a random movie, or assumed that anything I'd seen you would have seen (if you did assume that, ask yourself why). I'm glad to see you've now given up on a line of argument you should have dropped as soon as I answered you.

The movie itself is not pretentious at all, it is pretty straightforward, it just has a grittier and darker tone than its sequels.

My read is that he is somehow incorporating creatures he's killed into his body. Only problem is that we never really see him eat humans

Also, there might not be a sequel, and it certainly won't have Anno

I hate Nana, she's a whore ;__;

The sequel will be they used the little humanoid godzillas and attached armored plating to them to use as a weapon against other monsters that start attacking japan.

Sure, it's leave room available for a follow-up. Though I think this should be a standalone film. Much like GMK. I doubt anyone is going to match Anno, so it's best to move in another direction. The final shot is probably there to show the severity of the crisis that was narrowly avoided. Godzilla was beat through the collective might of humanity and, since he evolves specifically to deal with each threat, his next evolution was into an army of grotesque humanoid entities.

finally we see some scenes of ppl inside the building that get fucked up by kaijus/robots/godziallas/tsunamis etc.

you never see the colateral damage in the movies, 10000s dead...

I like it.

this statue was a spoiler all along!

what did anno mean by this?

I must admit, this did give me a sort of surprise scare when i first saw it

Putting social commentary into a monster movie is the definition of pretention. Everyone's there for the monster, but they get to pretend they're there because they have deep feelings about nuclear warfare.

Well this thread better be alive tonight once I get off work is all I have to say.

To be fair Bava is a master director that few can match

You think the movie thinks of itself so highly? I'm talking about the movie, not the people who watch it.

The social commentary is on point because of the context of the movie and the nation the movie is from but still it really doesn't have any special depth nor does it have to.

I mean, the point of the film is very clear and the director was pretty blunt with it, you don't have to think too much to realise what the movie is trying to say.

I still put 1954 and Biollante ahead of Shin. The rest will vary based on what you like. For example, I feel the Show Mechagodzilla movies are top tier while others prefer the continuous story of the Heisei series.

I do, because it's the attempt to say anything at all that constitutes the pretention.

How dare the kaiju genre aspire to be more than mindless destruction. Not like it was ever more than that anyway.

Post moar Kamata-kun.

Oh man this looks fucking hilarious

I can agree with that. I do think Honda's kid-aimed color Godzillas are pretty good pop art, though.

It's true. All of it. The next best trilogy is Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah, and Monster Zero.

>it's literally the first dark, horrific Godzilla movie since 1954

The first Godzilla wasn't "dark" or "horrific", what the ever-loving fuck are you going on about?

It was a monster movie that was just a metaphor.

This movie looks fucking hilarious. Every single webm someone posts has me laughing at it. It's literally a joke.

How many people noticed the environmentalist was actually miyazaki making a cameo?

That is too harsh with such a pacifistic message, but i can see what you are trying to say.

Oooheee you fuckin pleb

By aiming at them?

Mamoru Oshii was there too.

Straight horror Biollante remake WHEN.

The Kotaku review was pretty fucking awful, same with that clown who was mad he wasn't invited to the set.

Yea, you are, watch some real horror kino you fucking gutter trash, like Faust, The Hands of Orlac, or Destiny

>This movie looks fucking hilarious. Every single webm someone posts has me laughing at it. It's literally a joke.
If you're talking about that's suppose to be the fucking point. It's a dumb ass baby godzilla. Shit gets serious when it mutates.

>The first Godzilla wasn't "dark" or "horrific", what the ever-loving fuck are you going on about?
>look at me be a contrarian, mom!

>Kotaku

Hey you niggas were the ones who posted it for me, I didnt go to that shithole site.

To me it's about the distinction between visual/aural ideas to do with plastic arts, and verbal/written ideas to do with literature. Cinema has elements of the latter, but they're greatly subordinate in importance to the formal invention which is the reason we watch them. There's a common tendency for fans of populist stuff to defend it as art by pointing to some 'statement' or 'message' it makes, which usually turns out not to be particularly sophisticated as messages go. Far better to focus on the plastic, graphic aspect, which is where a film's worldview is really expressed anyway. In that department, Godzilla has nothing on the later, kid-oriented multi-monster films.

>you niggas were the ones who posted it for me
No I didn't.

I'm glad you understood, and that I was able to convey what I meant to you.

For me, the fact that the message is so unexceptionable accentuates the fault - it would have been hard to find anyone who didn't agree with it.

>mutates

>Fuck the 2014 movie for reinforcing this in every shitter's mind.
Godzilla can be good. Godzilla can be a force of nature. Godzilla can be absolute destruction.

The American version is a perfectly valid depiction, especially since that was the longest running depiction Godzilla has had. Anyone who says a bad Godzilla isn't accurate can fuck themselves but you're not much better.

There must be something you can praise about the original, you can't say it is a bad movie just because latter movies have more and better action.

Deep inside I don't think you really consider it a bad movie.

>It's evolving!

Kek, god, such shitty writing. People take this hot garbage seriously?

Why is it bad, mr tripfag? What's suppose to be "good" in a movie about a giant monster?

The japanese language is simpler in meaning than the western languages, translations always sound simple because what they say is simple.

You will never find a japanese movie with the same kind of dialogue you would find in an american movie.

When I check your post history, its like 90% Cred Forums shit, specifically an obsession with cuckolding.

>Anyone who says a bad Godzilla isn't accurate
Bad he isn't bad, just because he killed a few hundreds of thousand humans and leveled entire cities it doesn't mean he's bad.

Stop replying to the obvious bait you chuckle nuts

>look at me be a pretentious retard mom!

I also love how you spoilered those, as if they even needed it.

We need a new thread anyway

Please use science girl as an OP image

Sorry, you're right.

Reminder, filters do exist.

Oh look the skeletal man thinks he's hot shit, fuck off cuck.

So you think the message Gojira conveys, or at least how it goes about conveying it, isn't anything remarkable and the film is more dull and pretentious than anything? And you prefer mindless action? Yeah... Nope. That description fits Return of Godzilla (due to execution) and Godzilla 2014 (due to "message" and execution), however, Gojira is a masterpiece and unquestionably, objectively speaking, the best of the franchise. But there are certainly some strong versus films.

it would be a shitty kaiju movie, but don't tell me it wouldn't be crazy to see a swarm of humanoid godzillas on a rampage.

I can't think of anything, it's obviously not the worst movie ever made, the production/craft values are all fine from what I remember, but as what it is, and as what it claims to be/is claimed to be, I don't think it works.

>It's evolving

It's meta writing, and whoever wrote that dialogue is an amateur, since they're not only acknowledging what should be shown, but characters are actively explaining what's happening from the viewpoint of someone with meta knowledge of the creature. How exactly would he know it's evolving by throwing it's head up? If I showed you a clip of a snake molting would you say it's "evolving" or would you say it's shedding its skin, or, would you have any idea what the fuck it was doing if you'd never known what a snake was?

Again, shitty writing.

>specifically an obsession with cuckolding

>look mommy, I'm making up shit to meme him out of the thread!

>literally growing in size in the shot
>literally grows arms
>mouth literally changes in shape
>clearly changing, ie: evolving
>meta knowledge
yeah okay

You're responding to a very carefully-written paragraph about why 'mindless' is not the right word for the peak-era Godzilla movies by putting your fingers in your ears and LA LA LA-ing.

>That description fits Return of Godzilla

Man shut the fuck up you /m/ twat

The lack of a rubber suit is sad and it's disappointed to know that even in Japan the age of monster acting is over.

But Shin Godzilla is still the 2nd best Godzilla film next to Gojira 1954 despite that.

> very carefully-written
And it doesn't even seem like you know what you're arguing for.

Put some mental effort in or don't bother replying.

What do you think about the visual aspects of the first Godzilla as a movie then? I'm talking about the cinematography, the special effects for its age.

The, as you called them, graphic and visual aspects, without comparing them with latter entries?

Curious about your opinion because it sounds like you don't really dislike Godzilla

>ignore the fact that I point out fallacies

>no, instead of the character merely saying "it's changing" or "it's growing" he says "EVOLVING", to the camera, before his very eyes

In biological terms, "evolving" denotes a change or adaptation by evolutionary processes. It "changing" has fuck-all to do with it "evolving", IE, unless the script was written by a hack.

The translation says "evolve" but the word he actually uses in japanese is "shinka" which can be used to say "evolution" but is also used to say "change" and "progress"

It is a problem of the translation as the japanese truly don't distinguish one meaning from the other and use the word "shinka" for everything.

Here's a more film accurate one, tried replicating the glossed over effect on the eyes

There are actually two ways to say "changing" and "evolving" in Japanese.

>"The film is dark, horrific"
>Go look around online
>literally everyone mentions how comical it looks
>look up various reviews
>people calling it "satirical" and "comedy driven"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, OH WOW

Shinka is the word he uses in the movie, which means both things, what the guy said was "shinka" and "evolution" was the translation they went for because it is true that Godzilla works like a Pokemon in this movie.

The film is actually pretty optimistic, the design of the monster is just edgy.

You realize satire and comedy can still be scary, right? Cannibal Holocaust is a perfect satire. Anyway, while the human plot begins as a political farce it quickly becomes more of a personal journey to self-realization as opposed to relying on others, and Godzilla himself remains creepy and unnatural throughout, along with a few scenes of absolutely horrific destruction. It's odd because these same scenes are also completely beautiful and moving. Yes, the film is to some degree a comedy and there are plenty of laughs, but it's also dealing with several levels of serious and tragic themes