Today is October 14th, the birthday of of Lillian Gish. She will be one hundred and twenty three years old today...

Today is October 14th, the birthday of of Lillian Gish. She will be one hundred and twenty three years old today. The years come and go, but neither her beauty nor her work wanes. Forever she will remain, in our eyes, as she once was: the most ineffably sublime being that ever tread upon this earth. And, through her art, her beauty and her grace is forever suspended in time. With this thread, I mean to commemorate her and her contribution to cinema.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish#Title
youtube.com/watch?v=dYZq5QlJHkI
youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1qg7Uumnc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Let's DO THIS SHIT!

For you.

GO TIME!
joke aside: I honestly hope this movie ("The Wind") will see a restored release one day.

This thread will consist mostly of photographs I like.

This is a photograph of miss Gish together with her sister Dorothy and a few other starlets of the early silent era.

would bang

Yes, it's a shame so few of her films have been restored. Then again, there is a certain charm to low quality VHS copies.

I'm especially eager to see Broken Blossoms restored. The original still exists, last shown in the 1970s with Lillian Gish present, before it was sealed away.

A photograph from her first talkie, which I haven't seen yet. I'm saving it for a special occasion.

is it true she loved to lick her sisters pusy?

One of my favourite photographs featuring the two Gish sisters.

very cute

No.

>tfw no black and white film star qt girlfriend

how do you know

just kill me right now

no pictures of gish's gash? ;)

What did he mean by this

It's a preposterous rumour.

In our modern era, we view any form of affection or love as inherently sexual in nature. It is a fault of our times.

HELLO, "FUGUE".

With Richard Barthelmess.

who cares about decomposed pussy

wank to her sure, but dont claim she's anything speshul

Hey Fugue.
How often do you still drop by this shithole apart from every October 14th?

Hello, glad you could join us tonight. How are you?

She had nice hair, especially in that OP picture. I like to know what hairstyles looked like in the past.

the love between sisters is a beautiful thing.

Hello.

Sometimes; but rarely are there any threads worth participating in, and even more seldom do my posts ever contribute anything useful. But Cred Forums as it used to be is long gone, not much remains.

>But Cred Forums as it used to be is long gone, not much remains.
Why do you have to say that out loud?

It is a promotional photograph for her 1919 movie Broken Blossoms. I believe the hair is intentionally quite disheveled. But she did have marvelous hair.

thanks user. it's sad that sisters don't kiss that often anymore because of jerks.

It's a reluctant observation on my part. It has come to be that these threads allows me to reminisce about the old Cred Forums as I once knew. That said, their chief purpose is to honour miss Gish, a small attempt to preserve her legacy.

gish is pleb tier of silent era

but u tried

@75319440
your a dorable

Old Cred Forums was golden but we can't go back to it. It is nice though to see some waifuism.

In Orphans of the Storm, one of Griffith's last great successes.

Yes, we are men among the ruins.

Miss Gish with D.W. Griffith

It is evident, by this photograph alone, that they meant a lot to each other. Miss Gish would spend much time extolling Griffith as the great father of american film.

With John Gilbert, with whom she starred in La Boheme. Her dedication to her craft was evident in this film.

Did you find out who this pianist was?

dis bitch got nudes or wut

It hasn't exactly been "sealed away", since it's been in the public domain for years now. I also like it a whole lot, even though my all-time favourite would be "Intolerance".

A Romance of Happy Valley: one of the few films that allowed Lillian Gish to try her hand at comedy.

A Romance of Happy Valley is one of Griffith's small budget films, and ample proof that he mastered not only the grandiose expressions in human endevour, but also the small things.

Were there waifus back then

Happy Birthday, Gish the Dish

Ah, "An Unseen Enemy", their cinematic debut. A lovely little film.

'tis true. Sad but true. As a matter of fact I only CAME BY Cred Forums some six years ago when I saw there was a silent film thread.

Well, the Gish sisters were kinda like... the Fanning sisters of their day. Except there weren't tons of forgettable starlets popping up everywhere back then.

Would you settle for retro movies like The Artists?

I believe I did, though the name escapes me. I think he was russian perhaps.

Was the Smashing Pumpkins album Gish named after this cute actress? Let us Google...

Yes, it was:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gish#Title
>In an interview, Corgan said, "My grandmother used to tell me that one of the biggest things that ever happened was when Lillian Gish rode through town on a train, my grandmother lived in the middle of nowhere, so that was a big deal..."

I can heartily recommend the music on this album. I once had sex with a very hot young lady to this album and she said it was "amazing." The music that is, not the sex.

Back then stars can't have nude and nude can't be stars

There have always been waifus.

They used to be much more common.

>I once had sex
Leave.

What the fuck are you talking about? Doesn't the name Hedy Lamarr mean anything to you?

Back then waifuists had to go to two world wars

Jewish slut

90s SP were fuckin great no matter what.

It actually means nothing to me

Please leave the premises immediately. This thread isn't for you and your kind.

With Robert Harron.

>implying I don't worship the Jewess as the most seductive being made by HaShem

I believe it was said that blue eyes were unsuitable for film, but miss Gish proved them wrong.

Hedy Lamarr was not only one of the most celebrated and desirable actresses of the early sound film era, she was also one of the inventors of frequency-hopping spread spectrum transmission.
Additionally she holds the distinction of being the first actress to portray an orgasm on the silver screen, as well as having been the subject of one of the most explicit nude scenes of the early 1930s.

Strange that it was a Chinese man who pioneered how to properly shoot blue eyes on early film stock

Annie Laurie, which came at the tail end of the silent era. It is not thought of one of her great works, but she does dress well in plaid.

which he was.

Hedy Lamarr was sexy as fuck. But unlike Miss Gish, she wasn't an actress of the silent era.

Indeed. He was more than just a pioneer.

In another country and under a different name from the one she became a star in, having married a man who went to great lengths to suppress the film's existence. And still an anomaly.

Yes, yes that's true. And of course she only became famous in the US when the Hays Code was already being enforced rather strictly.

A rare occurrence where Lillian Gish almost smiles.

THAT'S *HEDLEY*!

She's an old woman in Night of the Hunter, but that movie is fucking fantastic.

Did she ever do any nudity? Like Stanwyck with Ziegfield?

>Did she ever do any nudity?
Only with Mr. Griffith :D

A rare occurence indeed. One more reason why "The Wind" deserves more attention.

Well played, sir. Well played, indeed.

Over the years I have come to realise that the more I learn about her, the less I know her. Can one understand a person through secondary sources I wonder.

I once believed that her on screen performances were an accurate reflection of who she was. But she insisted she was the polar opposite. And while her characters were fragile waifs too delicate for this world, Lillian Gish persevered through the most harsh times, seemingly tough as nails. And she, most of all, wished to project that sense of utter indomitability. But that narrative, too, is flawed.

I don't know her, and I fear I never truly will.

No. Simply because she wasn't a Ziegfeld girl.

DID SHE HAD A HAIRY PUSSY

I'm always glad to hear that, because it reminds me that they were in a different time from our banal, hypersexualized society. No, they weren't perfect or "on a pedestal", but it's nice when our screen idols of the past weren't trollops.

Isn't the mystery that sorrounds her also the source of her ever continuing appeal and fascination?
To me it is.

Tee women who shaved back then were mostly prostitutes.

What are tee women?

Because she preferred GETTING licked.

They're a simple typo.
It's supposed to be "THE women"

What you say is probably true, and what right do I have to delve into her personal life which she chose to keep away from public scrutiny as much as possible.

But I want to know her, and to understand her.

Daphne and the Pirate: one of her early films that has unfortunately been lost to time.

You're alright, tripfag. Thanks for the entertaining thread.

A solemn countenance.

I've only seen Broken Blossoms.
What are some essential Gishcore?

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

All we can do is love what we do know.

An Unseen Enemy
The Birth of a Nation
A Romance of Happy Valley
The Greatest Question
True Heart Susie
Hearts of the World
Broken Blossoms
Way Down East
Orphans of the Storm
The White Sister
La Boheme
The Wind

That said, all films starring her are worth watching.

What about Intolerance?

Yes, wise words. From what we may glean of her soul from watching her films and her photographs, I think there is a lot to be loved.

It's a good film but I think her screen time is far too limited for it to be thought of as a "Gish film".

The thread is coming to an end. Though, in the grand scheme of things, it is insignificant, to me it has become a very important tradition. Through it, we may perhaps reconnect with that old world, that is now lost. And so long as these threads are made, her memory shall never perish.

I will go out for a walk now, and though I expect the thread to be gone by the time I get back, I will finish by posting my favourite photograph.

I wish miss Gish a happy birthday.

The above list plus "Intolerance"

pretty clean, non greasy looking hair compared to a lot of the chicks from that era.
did she have a secret stash of shampoo

Yes!
That was a fascinating thing to see.

Happy Birthday Miss Gish!

Thankyou kindly, Fugue
See you in a year, sir, take care

Heh, funnily enough you can tell from her photos which of them were taken before and which after the invention or rather wide availability of shampoo and conditioner.
Look how unfrizzy her hair was in "The Wind". It's almost like a shampoo commercial.

and now compare that photo
to this older one.

Bye Fugue
Miss all you oldfags and autismos, bleu, mizo, greaterthanimplying, pattyhitler...

You are a pompous tripfag cunt, stop pulling your pud to antiques and shut the fuck up

Happy Birthday to Ms. Gish. I liked Intolerance. It was very good.

Fugue where have u ascended to

BYE, "FUGUE"; UNTIL NEXT YEAR, IF "Cred Forums" STILL PERSISTS.

Here's a more forced smile by Gish.

Until next year, Fugue!

>I was born on the day she died.

why even live

It certainly looks soft and clean in motion. Unfortunately this film is rather hard to come by. I don't know about it's conservation status but I'm fairly certain that it's NOT considered a "lost" movie.
I know about a Spanish DVD release a few years back, which means that at least until then there must definitely have been a copy which could be used as a master.

I have a feeling deep in my heart that of she were alive today,she would have loved to get BLACKED. Am I right?

Blackfaced certainly

If I could murder you where you are, I would.

Fucking epic joke, dude. XD. Can't wait to see it on r/Cred Forums!

Your sad attempt at sullying this thread by means of obnoxious memeing is bound to fail.

Nigga, that's kawaii!

She would rather kill herself.

Like her character did in Birth of a Nation.

Funny that the director of the new film by the same name also raped a white girl who killed herself, I wonder if that parallel was intentional?

never seen this bitch in any movies

how is this Cred Forums related?

it's my birthday too

No one cares

what happened to your writings?

Why do you think they didn't have black actors in Birth of a Nation? They would have done anything those days for a few pennies. Making them humiliate their own race would have been a plus.

They were afraid. Every woman has a rape fetish. She wouldn't have been able to contain her lust if they had let Black bulls acting sexually aggressive near her.

>ywn use her bosom as your pillow.

why live

No one fucking cares. You're not funny at all. Lillian Gish was an amazing actress who made films for over 80 years. Go watch a superhero film or something.

This board could sure use a fair bit more sperging. I miss the olden days as well.

Frankly, the roll of fat under her neck is disgusting. Don't know what you see in her, desu.

Good grief, man. Have your girlfriend get fucked by a basketball team but leave this fine thread alone.

The only real autist we have left now is the cunny spammer

Oh, we have a lot more autists here. But they're mostly Cred Forumsfags and their alt-right sperging is simply completely unrelated to what this board is about.

>Oh, we have a lot more autists here
Like who? Even Rei Koz rarely posts here anymore.

Krager's still a regular..

Didn't his trip get broken years ago?

These fucking old pictures terrify me. They look like vampires and it reminds of those Civil War pics with all those amputees

Yeah, I believe there's multiple culprits, but they're all firmly on the spectrum

Autists can be glorious but they get harassed so they go back to their personal hug boxes.

Maybe but a quick check on the archive shows the "original" Krager (or at least the original trip) stopped posting in early 2015 and new Krager started posting in 2014
It's too easy to impersonate Krager though, just say something anti-white or pro-black/KStew/palebrunettes in any thread and wait for replies.

Real autists from this board didn't do that. See abatap, Kaiji, Davey...the list goes on

Well they've sure convinced/fooled me with their 'tismic tangents

She probably washed it a couple of times every week which was 10 times more regular than most people those days

Looking like the Fanning sisters here.

Did she commit racist?

Yes.

Why she was so pale?

Just look the color of the guy in the pic.

i like you OP. Its not often that this board discusses something other than capeshit

it's a faggot waifu dump made by some shit ass tripfag fuck you you syphilitic sycophant.

t.capeshit manbabby

Thanks for making this thread OP. I'm definitely going to watch some of her films now.

The moral of that was that the Chinese was the good guy. Birth of the Nation is usually considered her racist film.

youtube.com/watch?v=dYZq5QlJHkI
youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1qg7Uumnc

Was listening to Grouper while scrolling through this thread. It felt fitting. Thanks for making posting this, OP, I'm going to watch a bunch of her films. Are there any books on her that you would recommend as well?

>no one wished this user a happy birthday
He ded now.

Carey Mulligan could play her in the biopic.
>implying that would ever get greenlit

I dated a Lillian Gish lookalike once. She was a neurotic narcissist cunt.

Cute. CUTE!!!

>women will never look like this again
>ywn marry a cutie 3.14 like Lillian
>ywn travel back in time to see her smile

Why even live?!

>Carey Mulligan could play her in the biopic.

She could, but it would be a miscast movie.

Yup - I can remember the arguments on /sepia/. They got so heated Ol' Mootikins had to step in an tell us to get off his lawn.

I dated a girl who looked like a Down syndrome version of her and couldn't get it up when we were in the bedroom

Louise Brooks: nude, and superior

that's HEDLY!

The "chink" in this movie was a kin-hearted good guy. The movie even had some real Chinese in it, albeit only as extras.

It wasn't the 13th century, user, I'm sure she washed it every day.

Louise Brooks was a true beauty but sadly about 50% of the films she was in are lost to the ages.
Still, Pabst's "Diary of a Lost Girl" is a superb display of both, her beauty and acting ability.

>washing your hair every day
lmao dumb pleb

Mulligan sure has that "almost-smile" that was also one of Miss Gish's trademarks.
But, alas, she doesn't have the right eyes.

But she was a whore, and ugly... how was she "superior" to Lillian Gish?

Yes, until next year.

Nowhere, I still fret.

Interesting choice of music.

Stuart Oderman's A Life on Stage and Screen is a good biography since it offers the personal insights of miss Gish. The author is quite enarmoured with her I think.

Charles Affron's book Her Legend, Her Life is good too, because it's as far away from a hagiography as you can get. It's a very interesting book because it seems that Affron comes to almost dislike his subject. It's evident that Affron himself takes issue with the political and philosophical opinions of miss Gish, as well as her actions. And even if it's needlessly scathing, it offers a very fascinating read for those very reasons. I ended up with an even greater amount of admiration for miss Gish after reading it.

god bless you tripfriend