So now that Shin Godzilla has been released to the Western audience, which design is overall better?

So now that Shin Godzilla has been released to the Western audience, which design is overall better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kRSLCABT4g0
youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1476554166915.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=DwFNnDi1gXY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Murican has obviously better design. It actually looks like Godzilla unlike 1998 one, while not looking plain silly, like a fucking rubber suit.

THICCzilla is just... riddiculous. And it's face looks like zombie desu

>thicczilla's body is the same shape as a cock and balls
>thicczilla's tail is absurdly (and distractingly) long

Thicczilla is objectively garbage. The only people who argue otherwise are weaboo fags who believe anything Jap-made is intrinsically better than anything American.

western bear zilla looked great, nip eva zilla went for terrifying and just ended looking fucking goofy, no it didn't look better in motion you fucking fags.

USA has a better design, but his movie fucking sucked.

Shin looks a lot creepier and grotesque, like a radioactive freak of nature.

American Godzilla is the standard design just beefed up some.

youtube.com/watch?v=kRSLCABT4g0

Shin Gojira is the best godzilla seen onscreen ever. I can't believe how good it looks for the budget, like 20-30 million? That's insane.

What about if Shin Godzilla and Legendary Godzilla were to have a 1 on 1 fight? Who would win?

Neither one can use their atomic breath, or whatever the fuck it is that Shin can do with the lasers on his back, until they are in critical condition and have to use it as a last resort.

Shin Godzilla didn't have any other monsters to fight so we don't see any hand-to-hand combat, which explains the T-Rex arms. But he can probably do some damage with his tail and jaw.

great job guys gayest godzilla thread yet

Legendary has a better body, he's way more expressive, and I like his bear like stance.

The only thing I prefer from Shin is that his skin looks like a radiation burn victim.

I haven't seen Shin yet, but I'm going to give it a chance. I think his design will ultimately work for what they're going for.

I just like the fact that we get to have a series of good guy godzilla movies and a series of movies where godzilla is a force of nature meant to punish mankind, both going at the same time.

burgerzilla looks like the pg-13 version of the japanese monster

>I think his design will ultimately work for what they're going for.
After seeing both, that's basically what I came away with. The 2014 Godzilla is a great design for the image of him as a giant animal, the way he moves and holds his weight look plausible and grounded, and Annozilla looks like the unnatural implacable thing it's made out to be in the film. They're such different approaches fundamentally you can't really say which one is 'better'

Both are kind of tied, they fit for the movies they're in. I do prefer most of the older designs to Shin though, but that's more of a personal taste kind of thing. Shin Godzilla was still the best Godzilla movie in years.

T. Weaboo

how does that make me a weeaboo?
There's been at least 2 american ones and it's been around since the 50's. 90% of them suck too

>literally no showings on Shin in my country
>not even bumfuck indie theaters
>no camrips
>Japs don't buy DVDs or Blu-Rays
reeeeeeeeee

The CG Shin Godzilla parts made the theater laugh.
>googly eyes

Left obviously.

There was surprisingly one in mine. I didn't go because it looks like shit.

Better question; who would win?
Pic related, my vote.

>Tiny head vs. tiny arms

The tiny head isn't quite as tiny as the tiny arms so I guess 2014, but they're both pretty bad.

>Thicczilla is objectively garbage. The only people who argue otherwise are weaboo fags who believe anything Jap-made is intrinsically better than anything American.

THIS

>not seeing that you're biased in favor of america
>not realizing you're doing the same as those guys but for the other side

That's some pretty cool art, but holy fuck is it filled with spoilers. It even has the humanoid-evolution in the tail.

American Godzilla is the same shit but made to look a tiny bit different
Shin Godzilla is entirely different made to look a little bit the same

>Rehash
>New idea
New idea.

If the GGI in 2014 was lazy Shin's CGI is downright comical outside of the atomic breath.

>One flinches and whines whenever it gets hit by torpedoes
>Is extremely hesitant to use atomic breath
>Power of his atomic breath not known, doesn't hurt enemy kaiju unless shot into the mouth
>Basically a big burly alligator bear that wrestles until it decides to use atomic breath

>The other is over 10 meters taller
>Uses atom breath every opportune it gets
>It's atom breath can pierce through 4-5 buildings and a helicopter
>Can shoot fifteen or so atomic breath lasers from it's back in multiple directions
>Can fire atomic breath from it's tail while firing from it's mouth
>Can detect any objects coming towards it
>Doesn't even flinch or react to mortors, 30mm or missiles, takes a US bomb to harm it.

Their designs are perfect for the ways they're portrayed. USA Godzilla is a good design for it's role of basically just a big dumb animal that just wants to keep to itself and kills fuckers that ruin it's peace.

Shin Godzilla is perfect for a mutated freak of nature overflowing with energy that's hell-bent on whatever natural urges it has and defends itself from any perceived threat with full force.

>a big dumb animal that just wants to keep to itself and kills fuckers that ruin it's peace.
Sounds like the original Godzilla.

American Godzilla.
Better movie, better monster.
I know they wanted to have all this Fukushima theme going on, but honestly I couldn't care less about a bunch of nips sitting in rooms talking non stop about ways to kill Godzilla. The kid in Godzilla vs Hedora was more interesting than the human characters in Shin Gojira.
The design is goofy, that fucking tail is way to long. The CGI was also pretty bad for 2016 standards, despite what most people say.

Looking forward to the 2018 sequel to Gareth Edwards' film.

Mutos EMP disrupted 2014's breath.. Shin actually got hurt by human weapons and was implied to be able to be killed by a nuke. 2014 on the otherhand tanked a nuke to the face. It more of a Offense vs Defense match.

>the human characters in Shin Gojira
>Not interesting
They were easily more interesting than side character Watanabe and annoying military boy.

Are you implying that the human characters in Shin Godzilla are less interesting than the ones in G14.

Are you fucking retarded?

Yes I am implying that.
And no I'm not fucking retarded.

>cardboard characters vs cardboard characters

I never heard that shit and it doesn't make sense (EMP breath)

Also that was a Cold War nuke, not a 2016 nuke. It was stated in 2014 Godzilla a modern nuke would kill him.

Also to be precise, he only got hurt by US bombers, meanwhile Japanese artillery and everything they threw at him didn't make him even flinch or react.

Remember when 2014 Godzilla got shot by tanks on the bridge and freaked out screaming and ran right through it because it hurt?
Remember when Shin Godzilla got shot by ten times as many tanks and all it did was slow his walk down a bit?

The nuke line was retarded. Cold war nukes are stronger than current day nukes because politicians realized that stronger nukes would fuck the Earth up.

Also American weapons>Japanese weapons

>it's easier to be invested in a character when I don't have to read subtitles

What the hell are you even talking about? Is that png about you, because you're talking nonsense.
The Jap film had boring characters who could barely act save a few ones. End of story, you fucking weebshit.

>not seeing that you're biased in favor of America

But he's not.

>not realizing you're doing the same thing as those guys but for the other side

But he isn't. This is what weebs tell themselves so they don't seem hopelessly fanatical.

American Godzilla design is just so much better in terms of how Godzilla moves, acts, and generally looks.

The Japanese monster looks like a PG version of a G rated pokemon (ITS EVOLVING!), so, thanks?

Legendary. Built ford tough. Shinzilla got #reckt by some bunker bombs whilst fatzilla tanked nukes. Admittedly older, weaker nukes, but nukes nonetheless. Plus he's far far more mobile and agile. Shinzilla just waddles and adapts. I doubt it has a brain that says anything other than eat/sleep/shit/repeat

America's Zilla was built for fighting other monsters, Shin's doesn't really seem that way.

If the fight went on for a long time, Shin would most likely out-evolve America's and win, but if America's could end it somewhat soon, he'll come out on top.

In the end I'd give it to America's, he's only like 10 meters shoter but he's built like a brick house

>boring characters
If you paid attention, Yamaguchi expressed some actual emotion. You could see his distaste for how politics worked in times of crisis. That part after Godzilla's nighttime atomic breath where he expresses rage is a lot more interesting than the generic army man with "muh family" in 2014 Zilla. All the other characters in Shin showed emotion, and Anno's god-tier cinematography definitely highlighted it.

All you 2014 fags are just shitposting contrarians who hate anything Japanese. Godzilla isn't about the characters anyways, it's a fucking social commentary. 2014 fails because it tries to make it about shitty characters rather than having any meaning behind the film.

Shin Godzilla's sheer destructive power would completely annihilate DogZilla.

Both designs worked well for the tone of their respective movies.

Legendary Godzilla is a brawler and his design effectively portrays his strength and power. Shin Godzilla is a horrible Lovecraftian nightmare and his design is suitably unnerving and alien.

Personally, I prefer Shin Godzilla's design, but I'm not autistic enough to poo poo anyone else's opinion.

Shin has the better Godzilla design because it actually looks like an evolved nuclear abomination. Plus it's also unnerving as fuck.

2014 just looks like a boring T-rex with Stegosaurus spikes.

Get a load of this fag.

You're over-reaching for a schlocky try-hard attempt at a "scary" Godzilla. Jesus Christ, at least try to be more subtle about your anger.

I'm really looking forward to Shin Godzilla and I actually think Shin Godzilla WOULD look better if its proportions weren't all fucked. Like i'm sure it's hips are big on purpose, I bet it has something to do with it being female and being symbolism or something but it looks really dumb from what i've seen

Cognitive dissonance

>it actually looks like an evolved nuclear abomination

It LOOKS like a fucking giant shit, oozing red play dough, with googly-eyes glued onto it.

>tripfag calling someone else a fag

2014 is an ancient creature as a callback to the original film. Shin is a radiated monstrocity calling back to the original film. Different interpretations of the same creature.

Yeah, we get it. You don't like it. You must be super special.

>I bet it has something to do with it being female
>female

Legendary is a functional design that will do well in a franchise. Shin is a stylized design made for a stylized movie.

Overall I prefer Shin just because it's fairly unique.

I like them both for different reasons.

Murrican Goji is a superhero, he belongs fighting other monsters and saving the world. Shin Goji is a horrific monster with vacant, dead eyes.

They specifically said in the movie that it would be crushed under its own weight, so it evolves to have thicc as fuck legs so it can support itself.

Well, technically mutated freak of nature overflowing with energy that's hell-bent on whatever fucked up urges it has is original Godzilla, animal that likes to keep to itself and kills fuckers that ruin it's peace is what came immediately after.

In one of the scenes, there was a sentence about Godzilla and asexual.

Based on that, I'm going to assume that Godzilla has no gender, and that it doesn't reproduce either. Just evolve.

>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW that don't think Shin is pure kino
baka desu senpai

That shit was about asexual reproduction you fucking potato. Did you honestly think that they somehow knew if Godzilla liked fucking or not? Did you think that that final shot of it reproducing asexually meant it couldn't reproduce?

>implied that a nuke would kill him
I think they were just going to nuke him because it was the biggest stick they had to bring. Everyone was pretty sure a nuke would do it, because it's a fucking nuke, but nobody really knew.

>those people who say 2014 is better because it is "realistic"

>Shin Godzilla is a horrible Lovecraftian nightmare

LOL

Nigga I don't fucking know. I was just making a guess.

It clearly wasn't reproducing in the final shot. It was just evolving by breaking off little bits of itself into humanoid beings.

Saw Shin today for the second time, will try to go once more on Tuesday. It really is an incredible film, and I've never before had the opportunity to see authentic Godzilla on the big screen. It helps that the movie is fantastic, and one of my favorites this year. Honestly the only negative thing you can throw at this movie is that the CG during the tadpole Zilla part is shitty. Once he evolves to have arms his next two forms look great. And all the human stuff is compelling, especially the second time around.

2016 was silly and cartoony but it was still portrayed as realistic. He was a biological creature. An animal born from radioactive chemicals, able to rapidly evolve to suit his needs. He's as realistic as 2014. Its just that his transformations happened instantly instead of slowly

>It clearly wasn't reproducing in the final shot where it was reproducing

shin gojira > 2014 > gojira the goldfish

>One flinches and whines whenever it gets hit by torpedoes

2014 didn't though. He was slightly annoyed but he wasn't in pain or anything. It was more like being pelted with pebbles
>Is extremely hesitant to use atomic breath
Because it's a last resort

>Power of his atomic breath not known,
Powerful enough to incapacitate the FemMuto

>doesn't hurt enemy kaiju unless shot into the mouth

It did hurt the FemMuto, it even make smoke come off her and she was temporarily incapacitated. Each time it hit she recoiled

> It was stated in 2014 Godzilla a modern nuke would kill him.
No, they assumed it would. In the prequel comic(written by the same dude who wrote the film so it's canon), 2014 survived the Permian extinction asteroid basically point-blank. So he's pretty fucking durable. Plus, the film shows and tells us that even Cold War-era nukes didn't harm him

Do you want me to give you a fucking lesson on reproduction based on my 10th grade science class education. Because I am ready when you are.

That webm has the most generic cinematography I've ever seen.

>reproduced
>by itself
>having babies
>born of one single being

Look okay.

Reproduction is when you create a being that has a mind of its own.

What Godzilla is doing is evolving. Now, we don't know whether the evolution will change his current form like it has previously, as it's on a much smaller scale.

Either way, what Godzilla is doing is adapting to the environment and finding the best possible form for said environment. In this case, it's the humanoid form.

That's not reproduction.

While Shin Goji has higher destructive capabilities with it's atomic breath, it's still not really nuke tier, and Legendary Goji is confirmed at tanking nukes to the face. Shin Goji's radioactive breath might be able to hurt Legendary Goji, but it wouldn't be able to kill him.

What's worse, Shin Goji had to go fucking comatose for fucking weeks after that big radioactive breath attack, it took a long time to build that shit up.

While Legendary Goji doesn't have that level of destructive power through radioactive breath, he's ridiculously fast and nimble compared to Shin Goji, not to mention strong. Shin Goji got hurt by conventional weaponry, and was much more confidently implied to be susceptible to dying to a nuke. With the physical strength displayed by Legendary Goji, he could probably rip and tear his way through Shin Goji, especially if Shin Goji used up all his energy trying to atomic breath nuke Legendary Goji.

Legendary Goji also has a much faster healing factor/recovery period as well.

My money's on Legendary Goji.

As for design, both are good, things I like, things I dislike. The stuff I like about Shin Goji I REALLY like but there's also a lot more stuff I really dislike than Legendary Goji. Legendary Goji has some stuff that's kinda awkward but on the whole is more solid, some people can't take Shin Goji seriously. My ideal Godzilla design is honestly something between the two though, sort of like pic related.

Yea, what could be more thrilling that generic flat shots and far-away shots of Godzilla wriggling on the ground and collapsing a building. Menacing.

Oh, but he's got weird fish eyes and pointy teeth, super scary.

no it isn't

>i just discovered this word: the post

We get it, you're dumb. You can stop posting now.

It's reproduction because it fucking had babies AND this exact thing was a fucking concern in the movie. You know, the movie you weren't paying attention to. The one where they were afraid of it asexually reproducing and becoming a threat to the world which was the reason for the shot of its babies being frozen just in time, you know, the part that you in your brilliance mistook as a them labeling Godzilla as asexual and unable to reproduce

>it had babies
Wow you're fucking retarded.
Seriously if this post I'm replying to gets more than this one (you) everyone itt kys and stream it

Yo, where's that SDF chick? She was best girl by far.

Nigga are you serious. That ugly bitch was like 50. We don't want that shit, we want qt 20-25 year olds.

Literally what the fuck is your problem accepting that it reproduced asexually? How can you possibly dismiss it as evolution. Yeah duh its evolution. It evolved the ability to fucking asexually reproduce like the japs feared

is this shit out to download???/

You gay.

No.

Who /wearavoid/ here?

>tfw Shin Goji is the original Godzilla that Monarch awoke in 1954, and Legendary Goji is the one that appeared in Godzilla Raids Again, explaining why this one is a little more chaotic good

Shin hands down. Fuck Muricazilla.

Alright faggots. This shit aside, shin Godzilla 2: electric boogaloo is guaranteed. Now, they can't stay away from monster battles. They just can't. Maybe they'll do another solo movie where they're forced to nuke him, even though the mop bombs did a lot of damage and more of those would end him.

Some have suggested that the babies could mutate into different monsters. So maybe they sprout off and evolve and then fight each other over some nuclear plant or something

>yfw Fukushima is ShinG's home turf

I like the American design better and I liked when he actually appeared and did shit, I just wish his movie didn't fucking suck.

I know focusing on the human characters is a Godzilla trope, no issue with that, but PLEASE make them compelling when we do focus on them. Seriously, the characters from the the Tristar movie were more interesting (aside from maybe Ken Watanabe and Cranston).

I haven't seen Shin yet, but there were people saying that there's a throwaway line that basically confirms that this Godzilla exists in the same universe as the Legendary Godzirra.

Is this true? Was it just some little easter egg line, or did it seem like something they focused on?

No. Christ his is there so much fucking misinformation over this movie? Man I remember how people were saying the babies where human skeletons from the people it killef

Shit what the fuck happened here? I don't remember fucking up every other word

not at all

No, there is no such line and they don't exist in the same universe. Shin Godzilla was the first time the world ever saw a giant monter and Japan got the help of the US, Germany, France and other countries to help deal with it.

deadpan biologist-fu had nice hair

Teh Rei-tier for sure.

Older ladies are best ladies in my Japanese doujins and mangas

And Japanese American daddy's girl who can't speak decent English is Asuka
Makes sense since Rei is SHIT

Look at 0:34
>OW OWW AAAH FUCK STOP AAAAH OWW
Compared to being as still as a statue and walking into it with no fucks.

>those moments when she spoke english for no reason

all well and good but nigga I was half struggling to understand most, I need to know what you're saying for the plot bro

she acted more like misato than anything, with the flippant veneer

>Rei is SHIT

It's okay to admit you're a pleb user

now that you mention it, the scene with her helping the monster study crew was super similar to that evangelion ep where the base has a blackout

M8...

2014 is intentionally animalistic. Animals react to stimuli. 2014 is clearly never in any actual pain in the scene.

Shin is an abomination, and therefore doesn't react as much, though he does get injured at one point.

>Implying MURRICA is the entire western audience
2014 because its actually Godzilla.
Not a morphing corpse ball from an Eva OVA.

a lot of the way they portrayed the japanese government as an organization felt very nerv-like, even discounting the music. i liked how he had them all in science patrol style uniforms for no real reason too

How can you fags not realize both designs fit their movies tone? Bearzilla fits the heroic theme and zombiezilla fits the villain theme. It isn't that hard to figure out.

I never implied that America is the entire Western audience.

Shin Godzilla also released in Australia for the limited release, admittedly to my glad surprise. And it's not my fault the UK is too shit of a country to have the film be played there.

How fucking long is it going to take for this shit to be posted? I need to re-watch this movie right fucking now.

a camrip isn't going to be worth seeing anyway, gotta wait for the bds

The Shin Godzilla design is by far the best.

I especially love his fish-like form 2 when he is strolling the street

>UK
The whole of Europe is fucked too.

I can hear the thunder of their combined *BRAAAAAAAAAAP*s.

>The Japanese monster looks like a PG version of a G rated pokemon (ITS EVOLVING!), so, thanks?
What pokeymen squeeze blood out of it's gills?

Must be the ones from that alternate dimension wher tripfaggotry is cool.

I don't think Shin Godzilla's design is complete. I think it was frozen before it's final evolution happened. I think Anno left it purposely open for a sequel.

>arguing about which goji is better
>not liking them both

I doubt giant monsters are allowed under sharia law

Greetings. My name is Patrick Batemanâ„¢, and I have contacted you for important matters.

I have taken notice to your post. It is of high qualityâ„¢, but it's not the contents of the post that I'm interested by, it's the post-number.

Your post-number is unlike any other that I've ever seen. It is unique, as no other will ever obtain your distinct strand of numbers, but that is not the only unique thing about it.

Look at the numbers at the very end. Take a close look at them, and you might even realize it, too. Your post-number has ended in repeating digits, that is why I am contacting you.

I don't want to seem like a bother, as I understand that you're very busy crafting hundreds of qualityâ„¢ posts such as the one I am replying to, but this is a matter more important than posts. It's a matter of life and death.

Here on Cred Forums, it is the most important rule of all that repeating digits much be checked and kek'd, that is why I am contacting you. I am here to check and kek your repeating digits, for it is a matter of religious importance.

So, after all this patience and discussion, I will now check your repeating digits. Here I go: #Checked

Now that your repeating digits have been checked by me, it is now time for me to leave. I cannot spend all day checking your repeating digits, no matter how much I love them. The reason? More digits must be checked.

not shin godzilla. it looks like dogshit and anyone who think it looks remotely good should unsheathe their katana and teleport behind me

go ahead, fookin try. yewl do nuttin

Hey guys this scumbag is dead, his blood drips from my sword, all posts acting like him are fools pretending, who await the same fat, to feed my blade

Thought like this is why Godzilla vanished for years after they ran the concept into the ground by doing the same shit over and over and over.

Thank fuck for Anno.

I like how ridiculous the one on the right looks. It seems more realistic because it's so awkward and ugly.

Shin Goji is better, imo.

Legendary's design is great, but it's so clean and perfect that it feels a bit like watching a cartoon sometimes. Shin Goji's scars, asymmetry, and greebling make it look like a part of the world its in.

It was really jarring whenever the animation in Shin Godzilla went to shit and you got that snap back to reality.

>marines
>muh children

>americans

oh there goes gravity

>ShinG's

HO

LEE

FUCK

They're both fucking shit. There is nothing scary about a giant fat lizard.

Jesus fucking Christ

Hard to believe they let him out of the loony bin amirite?

I wish Shin Godzilla's reveal was half as cool as Legendary Godzilla's.

The movie may have been shit, but the reveal scene was perfect.

Shin's reveal remembered me of a McDonald's kitchen, everyone is shouting at each other incredibly fast.

Just saw Shin Godzilla

Holy fuck it was an Anno classic. The text on screen, the politics, the large amounts of military hardware getting rekt by an unstoppable force...

It was basically live action Evangelion and I fucking loved it.

obv you have never been in a mcdonalds kitchen

I actually worked there five years ago but I'm from Europe so it may be different here than there.

Haven't read many of these threads, what do you guys think of the theory that the scientist dude who disappeared is actually Godzilla?

2014 is a generic monster for a mediocre fllm.

2016 is a great kaiju for a memorable film.

2014's design is alright.. It seems generic at first but I think they really put some thought into it and I like it.
It's just that the movie was such a letdown, it just weighs down my imporession of the monster

haven't seen 2016 yet but I absolutely fucking live the design and the whole concept behind it. That being said, I hate animu and 99% of Japanese "culture"

This movie is not about that kind of japanese culture, otherwise it would be anime, the movie talks about the problems of real Japan.

france actually saves their asses. I loved that part.

>But he's not
>But he isn't
Great argument, faggot. Top kek.

>built Ford tough
Maximum cringe. My boss said the same thing before the engine on his F150 blew out.

Don't indulge the autist.

I'm glad we got both.
Hopefully the next Fatzilla movie has more of him with better lightning.

>Tripfag

kys desu

>Googly eyes
>Not understanding that those kind of eyes are what would have allowed it to see underwater
>Eyes become more of the classic after the first attack

Also, am I missing something. How is Shin all that "thiccer" than Legendary's. Godzilla has always been thick. Legendary's even looks like it has a double chin

Check out this moron

What is the best roar?

54 or 84

If you were a japanese person this would evoke the 3/11 fukushima disaster. These were the same outfits worn by govt officials during the crisis.

Legendary Godzilla is an animal
Shin Godzilla is a monster

Both are great in their aspects, but shin does it better for what the original 1954 kaiju represented

2014's a better design by far.

Shin Godzilla's design successfully creeped me out so I'd say it's the better design.

this one

Those luscious, lumpy thighs man. Mmmf.

The one that isnt a giant rubber chicken suit

>And Japanese American daddy's girl who can't speak decent English
Better than her dad. Who wrote that scene? Why didin't they just use the American scientist since the dads head was off screen or redubb it.

>a giant rubber chicken suit
>rubber suit
>rubber
>suit

thats hilarious

>this weeb holding back tears

Welcome to the magical world of watching a foreign film that portrays your own culture - they do their best. There are such massive differences in how we talk that a japanese person is never gonna be the best judge of an english performance. If you watch American films with foreigners you get the same level of incompetence - you just dont know because youre not from there. At least they hired english speakers instead of doing that Bollywood thing where you hire a bunch of indians to play Americans even though they cant speak english worth a shit.

None of the footage I've seen from the movie makes me even believe you a little.

Yeah, all that high quality...board rooms and factory piping...yeah...beautiful...

>fucked up genetic disaster looks like a piece of shit

hm makes you wonder...

I can't take this seriously.

I can say one thing, Shin Godzilla is the first kaiju flick to make me legitimately feel something in my gut.

When he knocked out those lights and really started blasting the city I kinda felt uncomfortable. Not truly terrified mind you, but I could feel an unease which is more than any other giant monster movie I've ever seen.

I like the "googly" eyes. They're less relatable, less human. He feels like an animal with no anthropomorphic personification. Even 2014 Godzillas eyes betrayed his inner workings.

You would if you were the one it was running after.

Sauce senpai

I never saw a Godzilla movie before, I'm not American/Japanese so I don't really care

But the tank zilla looks like a generic huge CGI dinosaur/dragon/monster, really forgettable

the other one is genuinely terrifying, even if I really hate its tail for some reason

>it looks like shit on purpose

Thanks for proving my point.

Shin Godzilla is the best Godzilla design ever. Period.

Do you lads remember when godzilla was good?

>taking godzillas movies seriously
Why? They were never serious

Yeah, I saw it on Tuesday.

2014 Godzilla did the same. His roar was legitimately terrifying.

That's the problem. Shin Godzilla is just a mindless thing, makes him boring. 2014 actually had some intelligence and a personality, made him far more interesting and threatening.

>2014 Godzilla did the same. His roar was legitimately terrifying.
One thing that bothered me about Shin is that they use the same roar sound nearly every time.

Shin is probably the most intelligent Godzilla ever, he isn't expressive but we learn what he feels in the laser scene if you listen to the lyrics of the song.

>expect big ending
>just gets frozen
>doesn't wake up

Anno strikes again

He is going to make The End of Shin Godzilla
SCREENCAP THIS

>Yamaguchi
lol????? His name was Yaguchi.

>King Kong vs Godzilla

Pleb, Mothra vs Godzilla is a superior movie in every aspect

You're just wrong.

>these tastes
wowowow

Does Mothra vs Godzilla have a fucking KING KONG? I don't think so.

King Kong is boring to be honest, they had to give him super powers in the movie to compensate, and he looked retarted.

Most Non-Honda Showa movies are not that good.

This, you fucks can't be happy we're getting more high budget kaiju movies in the next few years than we've gotten in the past decade

I'm happy and I like them both.
But one is better.

The movies themselves will vary in quality, sure. I just like that kaiju movies are a trend again

I mean hopefully. Sure hollywood is pumping out a few movies, but 2014 was kind of ill received with the general public and Pacific Rim didn't do to well either. Shin was only given such little time. We'll have to rely on the success on the upcoming movies to see if we'll get another iteration of them after that. I want them to keep truckin and making new movies, but I'm worried with how they keep giving these movies to directors with little experience and not to much to show for.

If Kong and Godzilla 2 are going to be similar, then you don't have to worry, they will up the ante with the action scenes to make the casuals happy.

>kind of ill received with the general public

Uhhh, no it wasn't. It was a pretty damn successful movie.

Says no fucking one

Its the same shit but Goji ia now a pokemon

Fucking anno fags

here you go this is relevant
If it makes you feel better I loved it and I'll buy and rip it as soon as possible
What fucking thrid world hell hole are you in? >tfw my local regular AMC has been screening it since Tuesday
>tfw the entire theater was packed
>tfw clapping throught the theater when the Toho logo appeared on screen
>tfw chills and goosebumps throughout the movie
>tfw this is the first movie this year that not only wasn't shit but that I actually loved

The evolution aspect was far more interesting than the
>muh hero godzilla
Fucking normies man....

fuck
I just wanted to get this into this thread ;__;
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1476554166915.webm

rip when?

Maybe if they'd done more with it other than retardzilla and the stupid skeletons at the end.

>The Jap film had boring characters

>The science girl
>The science guy
>The prime minister
>the women wanting to be president
>the other guy who people wanted him to run as prime minister
Sorry I forgot their names BUT this film seriously had a lot of interesting characters with their own thoughts and ideas of things.

In no way was the characters boring at all. It was a pretty well acted movie and was very well edited together to keep you fixated on the topics that they spoke about.

I was happy that for once I got to see a movie without any bland romance subplot and stayed on topic about the main problem at stake: taking down Godzilla.

Women can't be president though. This film is too out there.

user, I have bad news for you

Godzilla was never really evil, except for that one time, and we kinda had it coming anyway.

>Germany

So you're going to completely ignore the satirical portrayal of the Japanese government? which is relateable from an American standpoint since our government is bureaucratic and inefficient as fuck too? You're going to ignore all the little jokes and jabs towards American audiences? like
>Well thank god the Americans named him Gojira
You will also choose to ignore that a group of literal autists saved Japan from godzilla?

I mean come on what were you expecting?
I agree it was a bit long as far as dialog goes but if you actually tried to follow the dialog it was pretty neat that shin Godzila is a walking nuclear reactor that requires a cooling period vs just a massive thing that walks around and wrecks shit at his leisure like the American Godzillla and all previous iterations.

The ending was great in that it hinted at more to come since this new godzilla evolves I mean who knows what that tail thing was it seemed obvious that Godzilla was absorbing humans at the end of the movie maybe he just absorbs shit and that's how new monsters will come into play?

But Nazi's aren't people.

Clinton in 28~

>it seemed obvious that Godzilla was absorbing humans at the end of the movie

Uh, no, he was evolving little "humanzillas."

That was the whole point in the film, and at one point they even mention he could potentially evolve into something smaller. The tail creatures were literally a further evolution coming to fruit.

I whole hardheartedly agree I'm glad there was no wacky crazy haired scientist ala pacific rim every human element seemed real some were more satirical than others but they did an awesome job with the human element which normies don't seem to understand has always been a staple of godzilla films.

side note
did the Japanese president girl remind anyone of Japanese Chloe Moretz?
>those lips
>that round face
>general hit girl era chloe vibe
???

wouldn't he need the dna sequence from some source? I mean he didn't just become I giant murray eel lizard freak thing on his own I'm assuming he absorbs shit nah?
I don't honestly know I just assumed as he was killing people and shit he absorbed them just incidently

they also mentioned that he would leave parts of himself as a form of colonization the way fungus and bacteria does so that was neat but they didn't really mention that more than once

I like a little mystery, but they did seem a bit too vague as to what this Godzilla could do or what it wanted to do.

2014 Godzilla is the best Godzilla design. Like, top three for the franchise, definitely.

Yeah ambiguity is good
I think they mentioned that godzilla was probably attracted to radiation but that he could never really use it since he was all crippled and shit and later I think they mention that he is basically powered by nuclear fission and his body manipulates and makes new elements and shit so he isn't really a static entity like previous versions of Godzilla

She isn't president

I love the design of Burgerzilla, it feels like the whole "defender of the Earth, fighting bad monsters" Godzilla, almost noble looking. Shinzilla looks like a fucked up, disturbingly deformed lizard monster covered in radiation burn scars and grotesque abnormalities, dripping blood and flesh, which is exactly what they were going for, I think. It really captures the feeling of the more serious movies like '54 and '84 using godzilla as horrifying message about the damage nuclear power can inflict, so I love this design too. Considering it's made out of like 12 different kinds of animal DNA, including human, I think it's supposed to look malformed and unnatural. You may say it looks goofy as a moviegoer (and that's understandable), but if you saw that fucking thing coming you would shit your pants. Basically they're both good because each captures the a different interpretation of Godzilla

isn't a Prime Minister an equivalent in terms of political power and social influence?

2014 Godzilla is beautiful.

That's a fair analysis I really hadn't considered that they are supposed to convey and symbolize different aspects power
overall though if there could only be one I would choose shin godzilla
as a kid Godzilla Vs the Smog Monster (Hedorah or whatever) was my favorite film because of the way Hedorah changed and became more threatening and so this new godzilla in my mind is a combination of Hedorah and Godzilla

Having seen shin last night I totally agree with you guys. Shin works prefectly for what its supposed to be, american as well. The Shin design isnt really silly in context, its ment to be a confusing horrible looking pile of violence and its treated as such.

I have to say altought I did enjoy the american gojira, Shin was over all a better fresher take on the ip.

She isn't prime minister ethier

What horrible taste you have.

looks retarded as fuck

The film's tone was hard to pinpoint as an American that doesn't really like weeb shit I've been into Godzilla for a long time so that's the exception but from those films I kind of figured out that each film can have a different tone some of the films are serious some are fucking goofy purpose some of them are trippy as fuck bordering experimental and that's from an American standpoint I can only assume that all this is intentional to a Japanese audiecne but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just because my perspetive is that of an outsider. I think Shin Godzilla was Satirical in it's human elements the cabinet was incompetent and inefficient as fuck there's a shit load of scenes where they highlight this but the one that i think illustrates this best is when they are first going to shoot Godzilla down with helicopters and everyone rallies the same message up and down the chain of command while Godzilla just fucking stands there. in that aspect I found the characters humorous. But I did find it easy to relate to the younger guy that couldn't be bothered to set up that type of burucratic structure with his team of people that work torwards "coagulating" godzilla since he blatantly states he has no use for bureaucracy and has a more transparent open door policy to information and the sharing of information in order to achieve an end goal. I assume young Japanese people view their leaders and elders as too traditional and inefficient and maybe the movie was trying to appeal to that demographic. I think this is the case with our government in the US it's too much fucking posturing and not enough action. So through out the movie I was really interested to see how that would play out. In then end the group of autistic smelly fucks ends up coming up with and executing an actual plan versus the suits that just end up running in circles and wasting ammo and resources. So it was interesting to see that in a Godzilla movie. It's a really great movie in my opinion I

Legendary's was fine, it looked nice and was typical of what Godzilla should look like but I like what Anno introduced more. Making him a monstrosity instead of just a big dinosaur was far more effective IMO. Also, as a side note, portraying him as an actual threat instead of a hero was much more satisfying then how he was portrayed as a hero to mankind in 2014. Godzilla is best when he is indifferent/hostile towards the human race.

fuck dude that scene was hilarious until it got disturbing the way his gills gushed blood and the way he boobed around all rubbery like some baby thing

Shin is Superior.

>defending the most boring piece of shit character that's overrated as fuck
Nah, you're the pleb here, user.

>i cant help but see phallic imagery every where
>long things distract me

user, I've got some bad news...

>everything has to be a senseless competition

They are two different things for two different audiences from two different sets of minds with two different goals. There's no reason to even compared them.

Just post a pictured of your dick with a ruler and demand the same from other anons. It's functionally identical to your thread.

WTF is its problem?

The hardest part to get is watching soldiers shooting rifles at something that barely reacts to missiles and tank shells.

Would you stay and fire pebbles with a slingshot at a tank? At some level any human would have to realize it's fucking pointless.

Tbh I cried when godzilla died in vs mechagodzilla movie
I was a kid when I watched it

>tfw watch vs Destroyah as a kid
>watch as godzilla literally melts
I was fuckin bawling

Rule of cool, user.

Me too man. The Destroyah movie too much for me.

>Most Non-Honda Showa movies are not that good.

vs. King Kong is a Honda movie, you know.

The music that plays during that scene is incredible. It really was painful watching what is, essentially, every kid's hero die in front of you.

Cute

Top Five Goji films

1. Godzilla (1954)
2. Shin Godzilla (2016)
3. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)
4. GMK (2001)
5. Godzilla vs Destroyah (1995)

I honestly never thought the original Mechagodzilla would be dethroned. Good job, Anno.

What are yours?

Your list sucks ass. The fact that you'd put Shin Godzilla that high shows what poor choices in life you must make.

This was actually my favourite human cast in a Godzilla movie. The pacing and dialogue is fast, the characters all have these little things that make them memorable.

Even the replacement PM who is a very minor character has that little line where he looks at his soggy noodles and says, "I knew this job would be hard."

Or Shinya Tsukamoto's character always having that towel around his neck.

But thats onjectively wrong

Sure
Because you certainly cant from experience

That's no way to talk to your girlfriend's boyfriend.

The CG was shitty but the design was amazing. I loved it so much. It was entirely unexpected.

Dude bollywood pays good fucking money for white actors

I went to the only showing ever anywhere in my city. I want to see it again but I can't.

You're probably referring to the line "If it were in New York, the plan would still apply".
But, no. It doesn't imply anything other than face value.

Definitely the best thing Anno's made since Shiki Jitsu.

Rebuild doesn't have those
>dear fucking christ thats horrifying
shit as its predecessor.

Hope me makes more live action.

>leave theater
>hear person after person complain about how "Godzilla was only in the film for 10 minutes!!!" just like the 2014 movie all over again
Do people expect every Godzilla to be Final Wars or something.

>what it wanted to do
Listen to the Shin Godzilla soundtrack, "Who Will Know"
He doesn't "want" to do anything.
The film is a throwback to Fukushima. He's a suffering burn victim of nuclear waste and fallout, and he's flailing around randomly because he feels like he's been set on fire.

Yes

He was eating barrels full of nuclear waste being illegally dumped and the way that he just kept unnaturally mutating caused his teeth to become fucked up and shit. I assume his initial motive at the beginning was just him desperate and in pain fleeing the ocean in hopes of finding a source of food that he could actually consume.

Whenever he roared he was shrieking at the sky like a cry of agony as opposed to roaring at his opponents or trying to intimidate. His atomic breath seemed uncontrolled and maybe even involuntary. He lurched over and started barfing flames. Angrily thrashing and destroying after they managed to wound him.

He didn't seem like something that evolved normally. He seemed mutated, broken, and unnatural. Which made him incredibly creepy.

I don't think people understand that having Godzilla on-screen for an extended amount of time will either fuck up the plot, or remove the shock factor of Godzilla.

In the ten or so minutes he's got on-screen, he does a shit ton of damage to the city. By giving him more screen time, they'll also have to give him more stuff to do. And if they don't do that, then they'll just have to extend those 10 minutes of destruction into 20 or 30 minutes, and it'll probably turn out shit.

It's good to have Godzilla show up in short bursts. But it's not good to fucking tease the audience with him until the very end like the 2014 movie did. That was just annoying.

People need to take a cue from Ajin and start dropping buildings on things more often.

I fucking love it when people drop buildings on a target

You have to see it in theatres, it is great. Scary, overwhelming even, in a good way

why was the CG so bad holy shit did they do it After Effects or something

Shin looked more disturbing which I kind of liked. American one was just a fatass version of the typical Godzilla, nothing too special about it.

Shin is the better design, the american one is fat just like the rest of our country

>this
He really seemed more animalistic and alien even, this movie had some really horrific scenes, people gasped in my theater when he blew up tokyo

Has anyone seen the new one where the theater was not at least really crowded? I keep hearing about sold out showings.

makes me wonder if they will have a larger release before the digital and DVD release.

America has it different with Godzilla. When they change him people get mad, see 1998. They have to keep him authentic because he's not their character.

Meanwhile in Japan they can do radically new things to him like in Shin Godzilla but he's still going to be the real deal.

It's a different dynamic that allows Japan to be forever ahead in terms of creativity.

Get out you shill.

I drew Shin Godzilla

Deepest lore.

He's by far my favorite Godzilla design with the 2 forms that they show of him on screen and how he changes.

He so needed more screen time!

It's good

very nice. I like the creepy face

damn user that looks real good

post your tumblr/deviantart

If that's actually your drawing, then that's pretty good user.

Reminds me of that shot from the new King Kong movie.

Am I seriously alone in this? Everyone else is praising the special effects, while the first form looks almost as bad as the CG in Yonggary

Could they have killed Godzilla before he went into his 4th form?

NEAT I wanna make a fanedit of this film when it officially releases, using some behind the scenes like this of Godzilla and trying to make it more creepy if possible.

He so needed more screen time otherwise I enjoyed the dialogue and how they discussed strategies to bring Godzilla down.

Pic can't be found anywhere else according to google search.

>first form
It's actually his second form user. His first form we never see as that is before he comes up to land.

Anyway I actually thought his second form wasn't too bad.

What really didn't look good was the CGI fire when he was blowing up buildings and stuff. They REALLY needed to use practical explosions for that part.

I did like the camera attached to the train when it was heading towards Godzilla in the 3rd act. The camera and cinematography was superb.

Nah, I also thought the CGI was pretty bad at times. Very cheap-looking.
However, I still enjoyed the movie regardless.

I thought the movie was great, but the effects in the first act were really shit, it really looked like a YouTube video done in After Effects. The CG got better when he evolved into his fourth form, but a lot of the building destruction looked flat, like that close up shot of the roof siding.
I'm just astonished that almost no one is bringing up how bad a lot of it was.

bad

The scene when he pushes over a building and the people inside die looked really good though. I mean the way the building was falling and everyone was top notch.

And the 3rd act when the building falls on him, you got practicals of an entire office room being pushed to its side and stuff flying out the window.

That was well done by Based Anno

I think Godzilla fans mostly go into the film with a forgiving attitude toward the special effects. For me, it's never about looking "realistic," but the effects just need to be good enough to sell the size and power of the giant monster. Personally, the goofy CGI of the earlier forms worked within the context of the movie as Godzilla slowly morphed into a more serious threat. Maybe that's a copout, but I feel it worked within the greater context of the film and it was an interesting way to basically work in another monster in a Godzilla solo film.

yeah that scene was really good, there were some pretty damn good looking shots, but then there were ones on the level of the underwater scenes in 2000

Nothing in Shin was nearly that bad, user. Honestly, that underwater sequence is the worst effect in any Godzilla movie. And that's really saying something.

okay that was an exageration, but the model of the second form just had that weird early CG textures, and looked hella fake on top of the live action footage

Shin Godzilla's subtitles were terrible. There were subtitles at the top and bottom of the screen at the same time and both were often on top of Japanese subtitles. I prefer subtitles to dubs but these were poorly done.

you think they'd ask Toho to render the movie without the Japanese subs so they could put the English subs over them

I am having a hard time believing that the close ups of Godzilla's face were all CGI because they look so damn good! His teeth look so realistic.

>and both were often on top of Japanese subtitles
hah that didn't happen with my cinema.

My cinema had no Japanese subtitles and only English subtitles when they spoke Japanese.

Otherwise you got the occasional Japanese subs appear when they were introducing a city/location

right when he was about to morph into his 3rd form, he was getting like pixilated textures over his body... was that meant to happen?

Looked like a vidya gaem transformation

haha I love that

>Some Violence
>Shows an image of the most terrifying thing

CGfag here, saw it today at a theatre, had yellow subtitles layered over the Japanese ones

youtube.com/watch?v=DwFNnDi1gXY

>1 hour and 18 minutes of behind the scenes
This is sure a fans ultimate dream to watch

>had yellow subtitles layered over the Japanese ones
My cinema didn't have yellow subs. They were white and yeah I only got English subs no Japanese as well.

Sounds like certain cinemas had different prints of the film.

>It ain't ShinG plays

>mfw I missed the first 10 minutes of the film because I arrived late into the cinema
oh well at least I got there just in time to see the city rampage.

I had to read up about the guy who went missing because at the start they found his boat or something which was empty?

It was a Regal cinema, was a standard digital projection. It looked like the yellow font you used to get on DVDs, usually plastered right over the Japanese subtitles. Sometimes for the locations and people names on the top of the screen, they'd put the yellow subtitles under the white Japanese subtitles. They even subtitled the English parts.

they didn't do a good job of explaining that, they said he disappeared and never really said if he died or not, or even gave a reason how he disappeared

Weird, i thought funimation did all the subtitles for the NA release.

Link I was away all day & just got back what did I miss?

>tfw people on IMDB said that he actually became Godzilla and hence why he disappeared
KEK what a fan theory

>ShinG
>Shinji
BRAVO ANNO

The movie was prefaced by a Funimation logo, so maybe different masters were accidentally shipped out of something
With the last shot, I swore those were human looking skeletons

It's probably less retarded than the theory that the doctor created Godzilla because he's mad at the radiation that killed his wife.

Oh wait, that's not a theory, but most likely a fact.

It sounds like half of the U.S. got SHING'D

The movie implied that he set Big G loose to test humanity, right?

>those were human looking skeletons
they were user. Indeed.

Does that mean those skeletons were on his tail the entire movie?? I don't remember seeing them there.

How the heck did they get on there hmm

>btw 10/10 ending

They applied an animated ripple displacement map onto his entire body. Yes, that was on purpose. It's supposed to visualize his transformation.
The average pleb viewer isn't going to notice literal ripple waves on Godzilla's skin, they're just going to see him vibrate for no fucking reason

I have to wait and re-watch this when it gets released on Blu Ray.

idk if it is my eyes but I always tend to notice more features on a film on home release than I do in the cinema.

They're only at the very end.

The tail in most the movie didn't look like human skeletons, this picture makes it seem like a whale, that's what a lot of people are saying.
People are saying that the skeletons in the last shot are babby G's that almost escaped before he got frozen

The things on his tale weren't always there and they were the next step in his evolution.

Why are they fighting though? I like to think they'd be best friends!

le drawing

Yeah.

Still pretty retarded though.

>People are saying that the skeletons in the last shot are babby G's
nah they look human.

Seriously this is exactly how it looked

I so hope they make a sequel. I can't wait to see what Anno does.

Depends on what you're going for? If you're pushing the narrative that Godzilla is a natural radioactive alpha predator, then the U.S. Godzilla look is going to do it for you. If you're looking for a "walking aseop on nuclear weapons" Godzilla that emphasizes the horrific effects of atomic weapons, then the Shin Godzilla is going to have a better look.

I overall like the U.S. Godzilla look more because it doesn't look deformed.

here you go m8

HUMAN
GODZILLA
HYBRIDS

>preferring giant bear instead of deformed monster

hmm the one on the left looks like he has some tail bone type of thing

and so it begins...

>yet another unrealistic standard for women

wut

2014 Godzilla basically represents all Godzilla movies except 1954 and 1984

Shin is 1954/1984

>Shin is 1954/1984
which is why I prefer it

Shin Godzilla better than ToonZilla.

Perfectly well said. Anno knew how to direct these characters and make them appear very different with their own attributes.

Even that science girl says in one scene
>"Humans are more evil than Godzilla"
Very interesting

i like the little chinaman in the rubber suit who took smoke breaks-can we have about 50 films of that version again instead of cgi crap...

>I did like the camera attached to the train when it was heading towards Godzilla in the 3rd act.
Yeah, I really loved the quick shot from a camera attached to one of the fenders of a tank when they're all retreating

leaving your shoes behind like that is a japanese suicide thing fyi

The guy on the right was a sexy boi