"GOAT MOVIE! CAMERON IS A GENIUS"

>"GOAT MOVIE! CAMERON IS A GENIUS"
>"TWO POINT SEVEN BILLION"
>not a single memorable scene or line of dialog

now that the dust has settled, can we agree this is an MLP-tier cartoon marketed for fat basement-dwelling neet virgin males?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O9bsHAXwaEE
youtube.com/watch?v=FSrcMaid0mg
youtube.com/watch?v=9zuVTJNALwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=MI4mWZ9noII
youtube.com/watch?v=qIs3Bxzf2-U
youtube.com/watch?v=CiBCYhS8byg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is what butt hurt haters really believe.

'I see you.'

>basement-dwelling neet virgin males?
You dumb cunt. Most of this film's audience were fat women.

I remember the mech suit having a huge combat knife. That was pretty cool.

blue alien tits

C R Y M O R E
R
Y
M
O
R
E

Cry more, starcuck

when did she say that? I don't even remember it was so unmemorable

>now that the dust has settled

>I don't even remember

wow reddit is super asshurt today

>this upset still

TFA doesnt deserve even half that

Cameron is so fucking lazy

Avatar 2 wont come out until the last month of the decade, just like Avatar 1. Screencap this.

We all here remember the coffee slurping commander giving the order to destroy the big tree.

>screencap this
do it yourself you idiot. The film will come out when its ready. Stop doubting him and get in line when its finally released in the cinemas

Why did Lucas sell star wars so cheap?

Disney will probably make all their money they spent on it back in like 5 years

It's a rip off of Frank Herbert's Dune
youtube.com/watch?v=O9bsHAXwaEE

'my dick'

because he knows it's crap hyped by 40 year old people clinging on to nostalgia

>there are people who actually fell for the 'Avatar is shit' meme

What a bunch of retards. Cameron will destroy you all if you don't repent.

It's full of shit.

Get back to making Terminator movies and R Rated films Cameron

Lucas is one of the larger single shareholders in the disney empire to the tune of like 2 percent or something. He makes about a billion off the company he sold it to every year.

Before Lucas dies, he'll probably make close to 40 or 50 billion off of disney.

>I only like certain genres
how pleb can you be

Still he could have sold it for 40 or 50 billion instead

watch
Avatar is not original at all. It utilizes other films and just copies them.

who cares if it's crap if it rakes in the dough. Lucas could have got way more money for Star Wars. hell shitty phone apps have sold for more than star wars did.

even worse is the "Titanic is shit" meme
worst meme of all time

Terminator wasn't original either you fucking idiot. That's not a margin on which you can rate films

they're 6 major media megacorps, they only have so much cash on hand at any given time and as it is that 4 billion he got is basically just a tax write off for everything else he has. if you look at why he gave it to charity, it allows him to take pure profit from rest of his business ventures/equity. Especially if he carries it forward. Lucas may never pay taxes again, for the rest of his life on rest of his empire, properties, investments, other businesses outside the media arm which he sold.

Lucas is probably one of best business people america has produced since gilded age. He bought his way into one of the big six and now basically spends his time building low income housing and trying to get his museum built.

>It utilizes other films and just copies them.

You sound like an idiot who thinks that this makes a movie automatically bad.

Also, what does it copy? Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas? You think that kind of narrative was original when these two movies were made? That story is as old as time and has been told hundreds of times, it's just the setting that keeps changing.

Did it take the paraplegic/alien body from somewhere?

That's probably the best part of the story.

its people like this that dont understand what he did.

Disney is working for Lucas now.

Titanic was good. Avatar was legit shit.

There is no way some of those film studios parent companies don't have more than 4$billion to spend on such an investment.

Theres a really obscure scifi book with that plot
But honestly, who gives a fuck?

I don't even want to see it that much, I'd much rather he just made a different movie. But the way things are now, we'll be lucky if we get an Avatar 3 before he fucking dies.

I find it repulsive that he has wasted like 20 years of his career where he's only released Titanic and Avatar 1. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't pretend like it actually takes him all that time to actually make these movies

I agree they do but he got more stock and things out of the deal than just the cash on hand which went to charity.

With a brand like starwars, I honestly don't see any of the media companies trying to buy lucas out so it becomes more symbolic with growing options since its clear whatever valuation was made on the deal told them they weren't going to be able to afford lucas's company anyway.

they're literally not. Lucas has no control over Star Wars anymore other than by speaking to its fans (who all hate him anyway)

I saw avatar twice in the theater because of reasons. I have no interest in seeing Avatar 2, 3, 4,5,6 at all.

>
I find it repulsive that he has wasted like 20 years of his career where he's only released Titanic and Avatar 1. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't pretend like it actually takes him all that time to actually make these movies

I totally agree with this though. He wasted so much potential and time.

Seriously. Cameron has figured out some kind of perfect formula

Titanic is exactly the same as Avatar. He somehow checks off all of these boxes that make a film universally watchable

His films are the equivalent of lab-made diamonds. They are atomically identical to diamonds mined from the earth, and are actually even more perfect, but they lack the natural elements that make the mined diamonds intangibly superior and more valuable

weird. Why didn't that > go in front of the quote

>building low income housing
Just another race traitor t bh

>I saw avatar twice in the theater because of reasons. I have no interest in seeing Avatar 2, 3, 4,5,6 at all.
I think most people feel like this, at least in the Western world. Avatar 2 will be Cameron's first huge-release disappointment because the people don't want it anymore. It was a novelty in 2009, but looking back it was fucking stupid. Well made, but stupid.

Do you understand how shareholders work with boards? Larger portion of the shares you have more influence you exert within the company, he owns not just 2 percent of disney but the greater suite of companies as a whole, he translated his media arm into a trade deal where he bought a portion of 1 of the six media conglomerates.

I personally think he just liked the way Disney makes movies and the way they are perceived with their wholesome look, and thats why he chose them. I think he knew he was going to sell to them years in advance, but I still don't get why he sold it for so little. Certainly Newscorp or Comcast or even Disney would have shoveled out more than 4Billion or whatever for Star wars?

Most likely they're things structured in the deal beyond that money that he got as well. Or maybe they strong armed him somehow. I don't know.

Nah, it was quite good. Deal with it.

I remember the hair sex and when the tree falls down.

>They are atomically identical to diamonds mined from the earth, and are actually even more perfect, but they lack the natural elements that make the mined diamonds intangibly superior and more valuable

>but they lack the natural elements that make the mined diamonds intangibly superior and more valuable

>intangibly superior and more valuable

Shill somewhere else

what do you even mean by this?

"natural diamonds" are trash

lel I don't think he was strong armed. but there might have been some complex shit in the deal that gave him more money or something.

>but they lack the natural elements that make the mined diamonds intangibly superior and more valuable

A cabal of of Jewish owned companies that collude to keep mining rates lower than they could be to artificially strange the supply market?

its a perfect movie

>Literally the greatest movie of all time (objectively speaking)
>doesn't remember any scenes

OP confirmed for not watching it, cry more

He took part of the payment in Disney stock.

Why does Avatar comparatively get SO MUCH hate compared to other movies? It was good, and much more memorable than a lot of "modern blockbusters"

Buttmad haters desu

I assumed it was like that but the user did make a good point about low cash amount for a brand as strong as starwars.

I miss Abatap

I cried at the cinema and on dvd.

The Tree of Life scene is gold.

What was frozen an adaption of?

your mom when she saw my cock

>Inspired by Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale The Snow Queen

t.hippie

>tfw I was 11 when I saw Avatar in cinemas and I'm not underage

>original content

Bloody hell. Old as fuck.

It's my one of my favorite childhood movies along with bayformers 1. Blew my mind.

jesus christ I'm old.

No, he's doing it as a middle finger to the rich assholes that blocked efforts to build a new Lucasfilm building near their homes.

Friendly reminder that Aliens was awful.

Anyone else thinks that this was a complete ripoff of "dancing with wolves" ?

If anything that was a friendly reminder that you're a retard.

which sounds exactly like lucas and the film industry.

he just can't let a good war go.

He wanted to give the fans what they wanted
I am not even kidding now
The result ... we have seen. Yes. We miss you Lucas. You won.

Agreed. It completely ruined Alien. I have a serious grudge against Cameron for ruining Alien, overshadowing a genuine masterpiece with muh quips and muh quotable lines and muh akshun! Outta de walls man!!! Who put her in charge!!!

Aliens is honestly fucking garbage.

What's it like having such shit taste?

>inb4 hows it like to not have fun XDXDXD

Aliens fans are predictable.

youtube.com/watch?v=FSrcMaid0mg
great film :^)

>there are people who don't want a 10 hour Neytiri standalone movie on this very board

absolutely disgusting

>CGI from 2009
>TWO THOUSAND AND NINE
I fucking hate Hollywood. The only movie to come this close has been Interstellar, and maybe some other flick.

youtube.com/watch?v=9zuVTJNALwQ

Still gives me goosebumps desu.

based cameron

i hear you OP the only thing i remember from this movie is the animal rape thing the main characters did with their tentacles

it's not rape user, all the fauna on pandora is created by its god. So biological USB-ports is eywas will.
The question is, why does the na'vi only have four limbs when the rest of the animals have six? Why only two eyes when the rest have four? Why did they spend so much time on making a language when the design is "blue 3m humans with tails, USB-braids and flat faces"?

No bait but honestly Avatar was the best sci-fi of the last 20 or so years.

Edge of Tomorrow was good, though it's obvious what inspired it.

I sometimes miss Abatap.

Even normies don't seem to care for it anymore.

Also most of the people who bought into the hype and kept on raving about it were normies to begin with, so...

Holy shit this movie has held up. haven't seen it since the year it came out. It looks better than reality. What kind of fucking black magic did cameron use to make this shit in 2009.

It's a 7 year old movie, people move on and then 20 years later it becomes a classic

youtube.com/watch?v=MI4mWZ9noII
>tfw you will NEVER live on pandora

District 9 was way better.

Edge of tomorrow is pure cruisekino.

Typical marvelfag can't remember a movie unless there's quips.

White guilt: the flick

>and then 20 years later it becomes a classic
I hope that never happens.

I hope that it's always remembered as a flash in the pan and the forgettable movie that was. I hope people only remember it as that one movie that made over a billion at the box office just because it was in 3D, like how people might "remember" a song that topped the Top 40 charts for a year or so that no one ever remembers even 5 years later.

Why are you so mad that Avatar did well? Just why? It came out at the right time, in a winter world reeling from a global financial depression. People walked inside the movie theater and were taken away from planet Earth for three hours, and kept coming back because it was incredible escapism. If that isn't good filmmaking I don't know what is.

It was also pretty memorable, at least more memorable than most blockbusters in the wasteland that is post-2010 filmmaking

How is it white guilt?

the fuck you on about? look at the leaf, it looks glitchy and computery as fuck

It was more of a movie for girls/women, that's why it has no real memorable dialog and has spawned no real memes. It's soft.

It was interesting as a tech demo solely and succeeded on that level. As a movie it was absolute fucking garbage on every level especially story, dialog and plot. Complete fucking dogshit. I say this as a fan of Cameron who still thinks Aliens is the greatest action movie ever made.

That was back when he made movies for men though. Pre-Titanic/Avatar

>As original as it gets

Yeah, right

>Why are you so mad that Avatar did well?
Because it was a boring, bland, "seen it before" movie aside from its visuals.

>It was also pretty memorable, at least more memorable than most blockbusters in the wasteland that is post-2010 filmmaking
It was pretty fucking forgettable. I don't remember pretty much any dialogue or any scenes from it and I'm someone with a pretty good memory who can recollect most of the shit I've seen, including scenes from some movies that I haven't seen in years.

If we're talking post-2010 blockbusters, the Marvel Cinematic Universe easily kills it. There was also Mad Max: Fury Road, Star Trek: Into Darkness (which wasn't even that good but at least it was more memorable than fucking Avatar), The Dark Knight Rises (again, same deal), Star Wars: The Force Awakens (again, same), and so on.

So, why did the blue monkey people have only 2 pairs of limbs, despite literally every other creature on the planet having 3 pairs of limbs?

Is it because the movie is pretty shit made for brainless nobodies?

you missed out on the whole dances with wolves, native american allegories?

S-stop hurting me, user.

>"seen it before" movie aside from its visuals.
>Marvel Cinematic Universe easily kills it.
Also don't even lump Into Darkness, which your shit memory only recalls because of the thread I made about it, in with your awful assessment of Avatar.

Sorry, I prefer a world made up of practical effects.

He's right, you know

0/10 you're just butthurt

>butt hurt haters
i mean i thought the movie was alright but your "argument" isn't any better than OP's

>"seen it before" movie aside from its visuals.
The plot was the exact same thing we'd already seen in movies like Dances With Wolves and Fern Gully. The story beats are the EXACT same. It's disgustingly pretentious for something that's completely and utterly unoriginal.

>Also don't even lump Into Darkness, which your shit memory only recalls because of the thread I made about it, in with your awful assessment of Avatar.
ID wasn't really that good or that memorable but it was at least more so than Avatar. At least that one had the space jump scene, Kahn, and good performances by everybody. It just wasn't really as good as ST09.

>cgi is bad meme
Go back to r-eddit, seriously.
He's right in what way?
Every other movie story is a ripoff too. At least this one was original and interesting, especially the whole "two bodies" thing. Seriously, a movie having tropes doesn't make it a bad movie. Get that through your thick skull.

And cut the defending ID bullshit. I agree with you about it on every point, it's underrated as fuck and a great blockbuster, and as a Star Trek fan I don't understand why Star Trek fans get emotionally butthurt about it. Solid blockbuster/10. But don't say it's better than Avatar, or ever use it in an anti-Avatar argument again.

>tfw Cameron is wasting 20 years of his prime years for Pocahontas 2-3-4-5
The saga better be good or quickly cancelled.

cgi is fucking shit mate.

practical effects are where it is all at.

>wasting
He spends all of his time scuba diving, submarining and being a comfy rich vegan. He'll make another #1 movie of all time when he wants to, not when you want him to.

alright, so to develop my thesis here.
It is plain to see that avatar is environmentalist and primitivist. But I like to think there is more to it than that.
The na'vi (literally "the People", but more on that later) live like all native creatures of Pandora under a goddess called Eywa, whom they credit as the mother to them all. Despite having recorded history going back 50.000 years thanks to their holy trees they are still on a neolithic technology level. The reason is that they see no need to take the step to an agricultural lifestyle. Then why is this?
Well dear anons, obviously because - as they mention in the film - "Eywa provides". The fact is that the Na'vi never go hungry as long as they respect the rules (or commandments if you will) Eywa has made. The People live in a complex machine ruled by their goddess.
This carefree existence can be compared to the garden of Eden, not only because the lush flora or the abundant food.(cont)

>Every other movie story is a ripoff too. At least this one was original and interesting, especially the whole "two bodies" thing. Seriously, a movie having tropes doesn't make it a bad movie. Get that through your thick skull.
Avatar is substantially more unoriginal than most other movies. The whole, "There is nothing original underneath the sun," argument doesn't stand when just about everything in your movie/show/book/whatever is played out to fucking hell.

And yes, all the worldbuilding elements to Avatar ultimately didn't really do much to make it stand out from the others. It's painstaking to watch since completely without irony, it just rehashes the same plot, characters, and storybeats we've seen before a billion times, just in a different setting.

If someone just remade Star Wars again, but in a different setting, say a Native American one, wouldn't you feel the plot to be tiresome?

>But don't say it's better than Avatar, or ever use it in an anti-Avatar argument again.
It absolutely is better than Avatar. I'd rather rewatch Into Darkness than Avatar. At least ID had some entertaining bits.

Stop this meme. Practical effects are good, early CGI is crap. CGI peaked when it was hard to create/be somewhat convincing, so it was used sparingly working with practical effects.

Now that Chinese CGI mill effect costs have halved twice since 2010 any awful reshoot-ridden blockbuster can have as many soulless effects as they want, without any focus on careful implementation. That's the problem. And Avatar isn't one of them.

Just look at Neytiri and the other Na'vi. They wear little clothing because they don't have a need for more. In other words they are innocent and without sin.
Also, what other group related to the old testament uses the term "The (chosen) People"? An interesting coincidence. And just like in the Book there is a evil corrupting force at play. The RDA represents sin itself, they are greedy and violent, wanting to exploit Pandora and wants to earn money on the dying Earth.
In one of the first scenes when you see the foreman (forgot his name, pretty minor character really) he's eating an apple. One might wonder how they got fresh fruit from Earth six lightyears away, but the point is that it's an apple. Commonly regarded as the fruit that grew on the tree of wisdom and the reason of the original sin. Once more, interesting coincidence. Add to this that they are in stark contrast to the Na'vi. Even to the point where the both groups can't understand the others actions. (cont)

UN

OB

TAIN

IUM

Only women and numales like Titanic

it's sequels/prequels will stand and fall with the money he can squeeze out of the second movie, I think. If it bombs there won't be more than Avatar 2.

Avatar is one of those movies I never saw, but everyone else did.
If all your friends tell you to see a movie, they are PART of the SYSTEM and you shouldn't go see the movie, or else the Jews win.
That being said, I saw titanic as a child.
Why doesn't he make a sequel to that?
It doesn't make him a race traitor.
Imagine the city you live in.
Now imagine someone made low income houses just outside of your city, and all the blacks and minorities moved there, away from the city.

The technology (wisdom) of the developed humans versus the faith of the innocent na'vi. The resolution of the movie comes with a literal deus ex machina after the protagonist prays to Eywa to help the Na'vi. Striking a devestating blow to the RDA and removing the "snake" from Eden. Also note the Na'vis general distaste for technology, they are offered it, but declines.

honestly, I'm not convinced myself. But at least I got an excuse to post Neytiri

Are you seriously going to get into an Into Darkness pissing match with the one other person on the site who actually enjoyed the movie? Pleb

>If someone just remade Star Wars again, but in a different setting, say a Native American one, wouldn't you feel the plot to be tiresome?
If someone just remade Star Wars again, in the SAME setting it would be tiresome. And it was, since that movie was TFA.

>And yes, all the worldbuilding elements to Avatar ultimately didn't really do much to make it stand out from the others. It's painstaking to watch since completely without irony, it just rehashes the same plot, characters, and storybeats we've seen before a billion times, just in a different setting.
Name the movies it rehashes then. The COUNTLESS movies.

The fuck are you on about m8

That shit right there pissed me off.

Dude had the nerve to call the unobtainable mineral/resource/whatever "unobtainium."

Fuck off James Cameron.

Also James Cameron has reached the point where he's so rich and has already had multiple masterpieces under his belt that he clearly does not give a fuck anymore. He's fucking loaded from all the movies he's made and cares so much more for scientific research regarding the ocean that he'd much rather just use the money he's earned from directing films to finance his personal expenditures. Isn't he the person who's dived the absolute deepest a human being ever has before? I doubt he's even making Avatar 2, 3, whatever. He's going to keep delaying that shit until the day he dies.

>I saw titanic as a child.
>Why doesn't he make a sequel to that?
He doesn't know

autism

>Avatar is one of those movies I never saw, but everyone else did.
Loser

so many people saw this movie only because it was the first good 3d movie

also, 3d is dead, isn't it?

I don't see movies coming in 3d anymore

Im no hippie. so no i don't want that shit.

Why do the aliens look like people? I thought Cameron was dedicated to realism and shit when it came to this movie... shouldn't the aliens look at least a bit alien?

Seems to me like they were dedicated to playing this shit safe to maximize profit among the mindless dregs that went to see it, while also spinning it as a timeless masterpiece.

>If someone just remade Star Wars again, in the SAME setting it would be tiresome. And it was, since that movie was TFA.
I don't disagree. But I still felt like that movie were more enjoyable than Avatar and it also did do some new things, like making one of the protagonists a former Stormtrooper and arguably making a bait-and-switch with Kylo Ren.

>Name the movies it rehashes then. The COUNTLESS movies.
Fern Gully, Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai. A Man Called Horse. Lawrence of Arabia. Battle for Terra. John Carter of Mars.

I liked all the sideboob and nipple shots throughout the movie.
It was nice that they kept that little detail in instead of just pretending she didn't have any

>John Carter
>2012
??
What's wrong with the trope anyway? That's only a few great movies it's borrowing from.
>I still felt like that movie were more enjoyable than Avatar
TFA? Really? TFA was more original than Avatar?

>not a single memorable scene or line of dialog
why does this matter? the film as a whole is fucking amazing

>>John Carter
John Carter is old as fuck if you don't count the movie version. The original pulp novel series has been around since the early 20th century, m8.

>TFA? Really? TFA was more original than Avatar?
It at least had more twists on its formula than Avatar did. Avatar followed its formula to a T.

I liked the movie, I'll never forget it because I was trully amazed with the first 3d effects but, how many times have you watched it since then??

Me I think one time, when I bought the Blu-ray, but no more. And I don't think I am going to watch it soon.

Avatar generated a lot at the box office because 3D tickets cost twice as much as normal and it was being screened for almost a year.

You're just embarrassing yourself now. Originality does not always equal good, and Avatar is still more original than TFA.
Avatar trope- man in other world falls in love etc.
>realistic interstellar ship
>new cloned body, protagonist is paralysed
>interfacing with animals
>comfy bioluminescence
>good music
>great final battle
>mechs
Star Wars trope- the ENTIRE MOVIE IS A CHEAP RIPOFF
>autism nerd sith
>unrealistic stormtrooper
>mary sue

Wow you sure showed me.

>titanic
>Why doesn't he make a sequel to that?

Unobtainium was very memorable op

Bow down to your master capeshit plebs.

>avatar
>childhood movies
yep, I'm 19 too :)

He's quoting based trip Abatap you fucking loser.

hey man can you post more alien tits pls? some user posted some and also upskirts I think but I was on my phone then

>You're just embarrassing yourself now. Originality does not always equal good, and Avatar is still more original than TFA.
Depends on how you look at it, honestly.

If you look at the narrative and the story each is trying to tell, TFA is more original. Yes, it's practically a remake of ANH, but that also works with the tropes that it's intentionally shaking up or subverting. In its own way, it uses its unoriginality to its favor.

If you look at the universe each builds up, Avatar is in fact the more original movie since TFA is a sequel and all.

>realistic interstellar ship
Means nothing in regards to an overall very unrealistic movie
>comfy bioluminescence
Obnoxious and overbearing
>good music
Generic and forgettable
>great final battle
By-the-books and mediocre
>mechs
Nothing special

You know what I remember from Avatar? The mech pilot unironically yelling "YEEUH, GET SUM!!!".

Also, this.

With the mechs, I liked them because I love the fucking shit out of mechs in general, but they're pretty fucking boring so far as mechs go.

>hating on based Horner's music
>hating on the bioluminescence
You're a pleb.
youtube.com/watch?v=qIs3Bxzf2-U

just in case

youtube.com/watch?v=CiBCYhS8byg

>SHINY SHINY = BEST MOVIE EVAR!!1!!!@11

Yeah, I'm the pleb.

>Mcguffin with no real purpose or bearing on the plot besides to give da bad gaiz reason to be bad gaiz. With a stupid name, too
>Obvious and poorly implemented "Chekgov's Gun" in the giant dragon, wherein it shows up, provokes a conversation about "taming it makes one a great leader who leads the people during times of unspecified badness", fucks off until needed later, then is acquired in a 10 second sequence with no difficulty
>Planet populated by unoriginal creatures that are clearly just earth animals + a pair of limbs with a couple mix-matched features (hammerhead rhino, jackals, anteater horses, etc.)

It's a joke, m8.

he really is great at churning out garbage
not a single good movie on that list

>how many times have you watched it since then??
why does this matter? the film itself was perfectly executed. the craftmanship was excellent.

The only good scene was where a bunch of helicopters were wrecking the huge tree.

But seriously, how lazy can you be to call a rare mineral "unobtainium"

Not him, I've seen it more than 10 times.

It has incredible flow, the beginning still blows me away.

It was excellent craftsmanship except for the entire movie, which was poor craftsmanship.

>It was excellent craftsmanship except for the entire movie, which was poor craftsmanship.
any example?

>We miss you Lucas
Speak for yourself.

A couple here stand out.

That really sticks out, the Leonoptryx bit. His only presence in the movie prior to Jake taming him is an incredibly obvious introduction wherein it practically shoves the "this is going to be useful later" message up our asses, then it disappears from the film until "later" arrives, at which point the creature that's hyped up as a legendary and dangerous monster is tamed in 10 seconds. Not even a HINT of a struggle.

Unobtanium (lel) also serves no purpose but to get the plot running. Why is it worth anything? Why does the village just HAPPEN to sit on top of it? Doesn't matter. It serves absolutely no purpose, shows up in exactly one scene, and is about as shallow a plotpoint as could be.

>it also did do some new things, like making one of the protagonists a former Stormtrooper
Except we'd already had that, spanning at least 5 different games, as well as dozens of comics and novels.

You're the kind of retarded that prefered that war movie, right?

I'm not even Jimposting when I say that I liked Avatar a lot.

I was 23.
Is it a childhood memory for you?

It should be, right?

Are you guys some kind of lost generation?
70s and 80s kids couldnt stop wanking to star wars and indiana jones. 90s kids couldnt stop wanking to terminator 2, jurrasic park and matrix.
To me it seems like you people just accepted those "classics" as "classics" and kinda shrugged off the shit you watched as kids.

>the 2 highest grossing movies of all time are all original IPs directed by the same man
>the third is the highly marketed biggest IP of all time, and the only one that gets close to the second highest movie, released 18 years before it
>doesn't even get close to the first on the list, released just 6 years before

How does he do it? Fucking seriously. How can one man not only do it once, but do it again and beat his own record?
Not even Disney can dethrone him.
Fuck.

he makes movies a wide variety of audiences find enjoyable and actually puts quite a bit of effort and dedication into it.

Take Avatar: he spent a few years revolutionizing the concept of CGI just so he could properly put his vision on the white screen

The weird thing is that Avatar is almost 10 years old now.
It should be considered a classic by now.
Somehow nothing made after 2007 has been elevated to classic status yet.
Did the LHC really break reality? Nothing sticks somehow.

Daily reminder that if you like Alien more than this you hate America.

>Nothing sticks somehow.
The Dark Knight did.

Avatar scared a lot of the movie industry. It had (and still has mind you) a very good chance of completely changing the way movies are made which would in turn require major effort of the rest of the industry.
And they do not like that prospect one bit.

>Avatar
>scifi
Some people don't seem to get that just because stories that are being told on different Planets don't mean that its somehow close to Sciencefiction

I prefer "raritanium"

Yeah, it's far more fantasy than science fiction.

Why would Avatar be a classic, though?

I mean, forget the question of whether it's good or not, does it really deserve to be considered a classic?

Cameron has long since miss the time for an Avatar sequel.

By the time Avatar 2 comes out, it would have been 9 years after Avatar came out and Avatar was all but forgotten about 3 years after it's release.

At most, Avatar 2 does a billion.

I prefer "McGuffin"

eh I'd say Avatar still manages to be scifi given how a scifi concept is key to the entire movie and there's a fair bit of thought behind the more scientific aspects

It's the worst Cameron movie aside from Piranha 2. Even then it's not a terrible movie, just not really that interesting once you peel away the visual aesthetic.

I believe that Cameron will be sure to not make the same mistakes that people had problems with in the first one. Sure, this may cause him to fuck up even worse but I have faith in the dude and am 100% on board for Avatar 2 already.

>if something is memorable then it's good

Pretty tired of this meme supremacy meme desu.

Is Sam Worthington still gonna be the lead? Pretty sure no one even knows who that guy is anymore.

>I see you

what now faggot

Name something good that you can't remember

See, you can't

he's literally jesus christ. people give him so much shit for being an unbearable asshole with massive ego but it's all justified by the consistently high quality of his movies.

We don't deserve him.

well it seems so. its depressing isnt it. I think people got too caught up in those established classics that they failed to appreciate what we had, and this coming from a 'born in the wrong generation' kid that used to worship the 80s. But what do you expect? If I would talk about 'I, robot' with the same fondness some fat fuck talks about star wars I would be ostracized, even though they're both equally bad movies. or the way people worship predator and 80s action films even though they were utter shit and thats ok. because of that I've been trying to consider recent directors as my favorites, people that made films while I was alive, but yeah like I said I would just be considered a tasteless pleb because nothing new is good

TFA did $2 billion box office.
Half that goes to exhibitors, leaving $1 Billion. TFA had a production budget of $300 mill and advertising was another $150-200. So net was closer to $500 million. Disney paid $4 billion for Lucasfilm, so that's eight movies that are as huge a hit as TFA, with 2-3 years between movies = 15-25 year payoff.

It's more complicated because that basic calculation doesn't include the time value if money, the fact that Lucas took half in equity, the other revenue streams!(merch, tv,etc.), the fact that ILM and LucasArts which were included in the deal. But also doesn't include all the risk--of Star Wars fatigue and/or damage to the franchise.

tldr: Disney is looking at more like a 10-year timeline before SW really pays off, and Lucas looks very savvy.

What about toys tho?

LOOK AT ALL THAT CHEDDAR!

Do they even mention "unobtanium" (lol) after that scene? I can't remember.

Like people can't remember the movie

not a lot of movies have memorable scenes

Good ones do

Do you know a good film without a memorable scene or quote or what have you?

Wasn't this the movie that was about the native Americans but instead of native Americans it's aliens and the Europeans colonists are humans.

glad to see the Alien team has won