‘Ghostbusters’ Director Blames Original Movie for Flop of All-Female Reboot

J U S T

heatst.com/culture-wars/ghostbusters-director-blames-original-movie-for-flop-of-all-female-reboot/?mod=sm_fb_post

>The all-female reboot of Ghostbusters is now out on Blu-Ray and DVD in an extended cut, and it’s probable that moviegoers will be as afraid of it in home entertainment format as they were going to see it in movie theaters.

>But director Paul Feig seems to be pinning the blame on the much-loved original 1984 movie. “We had such a reverence for it,” Feig said promoting the movie at the Apple Store in SoHo, Manhattan, “and when we were at the heart of everyone being so angry at us, ‘[it was like] just wait and see the movie’! There are so many references to the old film — there might be too many.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nt95ZrjKqtk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs
themarysue.com/has-sony-given-up-on-a-ghostbusters-sequel-or-has-entertainment-media/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The defeatist talk of someone that bit off more than they could chew and now must grovel beneath his overlord's ledger.

>so much reverence for it that they rebooted the series completely and cast bill murray in a dumb role where he gets seriously injured needlessly

Paul. The Sony email leaks exist. We know you and that jew Amy wanted to make a film with female protagonists and you both didn't give a shit what backdrop it would have

So he admits that the script sucked?

What are the hours to movie jail?

>sniveling jew snivels

>other sniveling jew snivels about it in an article

I bought the film on DVD because I had to watch the extended cut.

It really needs another cut to get rid of the "vagina farting jokes" and other pointless humor.

Paul Feig might be the most punchable person I've seen.

Paul Feig can go to fucking heel. Lying scumbag faggot.

what did the extended cut add?

>BUT IT WAS FUNNY!!!!!

you know what's fucked up, it made 220 million dollars anyway. that's an insane amount of money.

Wait, how is he blaming the original movie for the new one flopping?

I don't see that anywhere in the article.

he's blaming it because of all the references to it.
in other words:

And lost the studio around 50 million dollars. (something they love as much as hate because hello hollywood accounting)

Heatstreet is the only thing more pathetic than Paul Feig

The problem with this movie is that they try way too hard to be funny. The characters never shut up, they always have to quip about something even if it isn't appropriate.

>that suit
>that terrible posture
>those weak pathetic shoulders
Could this men look more submissive and weak? Serious question, I can't imagine someone looking more frail than this

how much did it cost to make including marketing though? and how much was the studio/chain split for revenue?

>damaging a brand, let along a possible franchise, toy sales etc etc
>not getting the initial investment back

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

Ghostbusters 2016 (cost) $144,000,000 $227,700,000 $58,600,000–75,000,000 (estimated loss) $59,000,000–75,000,000

idk man I never have seen the theatrical version but it is 15 minutes longer.

I liked the joke with the Indian guy delivering fast food

What a eunuch.

>The problem with this movie is that they....

Tried to replace a popular team of men with women.

But he didn't say the movie having references to the first one is why people didn't like it?

This is such a weak attempt at tricking people into watching the movie.

I liked how the media played up this shitshow prior to release, and then said absolutely NOTHING about it when it bombed....

Anthony Burch still holds the crown, user.
Feig is Doug his best, but he's not there yet

None of them ever gave a shit about the movie. It was just a convenient vector through which to push an agenda.

It was in a huge amount of theaters, but many of them were empty or near empty. You put it in that many theaters for that long it will make something. The numbers are pathetic for the amount of theaters and the amount on marketing.

He can. There is a picture of him literally laying on the red carpet with the female cast "stepping" on him.

This. All the theaters near me were barely even showing it. It had like 3 show times on opening week one day. It was a huge bomb.

Excuse me Mr Feig, I believe I'm owed an apology.

The paychecks from Sony stopped

>SO MANY REFERENCES
Why would anyone take this faggot seriously?

Nobody does. Even the women he stands up for treat him like a joke. Maybe he has a humiliation fetish or something.

no one will remember this movie
like the sequel to the fugitive

References are GAY as hell. It just shows your movie can't stand on its own.

RoboCop remake had references all the time, and they were awkwardly shoved in. The film had nothing iconic about it.

>"The problem was..."
>Looks right at the camera
>"WE LOVED THE ORIGINAL TOO MUCH!"
>"WE PUT IN WAY TOO MANY REFERENCES TO IT!"
Yeah nice try but you're not fooling anybody into buying it.

So he's saying people prefer the real deal over a pale imitation?

STOP THE PRESSES! GET THIS ON THE NEW TONIGHT! FILM AT 11!

>how dare they call me a gorilla

The only true third movie is the video game.
Also on that note the god awful video game tie-in to 2016 not only crashed and burned harder than the movie but the devs went bankrupt right afterwards.

The original Ghostbusters had a ton of quips on it, they were just delivered very naturally so you barely noticed and they fit. There's tons of small jokes that are really fun but easy to miss.

The new Ghostbusters follows the new typical Hollywood of making the joke huge front and center and even adding a pause after to make sure people know when to laugh.

LJ
LESLIE JONES

She's the leader of the bunch, you know her well
She's finally back to kick some tail
Her coconut gun can fire in spurts
If she shoots ya, it's gonna hurt
She's bigger, faster, and stronger too
She's the first member of the GB crew

LJ
LESLIE JONES
LJ
LESLIE JONES IS HERE

>Film has too many references to the original.
That's why TFA flopped too. Oh, wait.

I bet he couldn't even survive a day on the surface of the sun.

this

thread/

SHE

right off the bat, it was short a potential %30+ gross because it was banned in China. I still slightly chuckle thinking about it being the most negatively responded/voted(?) video on youtube

who is mr. robo?

>don't shit on the fans
>shit on prequels
>member this, member that
>hint that new movie will be the true worthy successor
the marketing for the new star wars was one of the most interesting things I've seen

You guys seriously need to stop.

>implying anyone outside of Cred Forums and a handful of redditors knows what was in the sony leaks

>heavyweaponsguyreviewsghostbusterstrailer.png

not bad

Hey Paul, shut your damn whore mouth and move on like the professional you think you are. It was a fucking cashgrab attempted that everyone called you out on.

Everyone seems to hate the new Ghostbusters so I'm starting to think it might be kino since hordes of plebs dislike it.
Just like the prequels might be too good for plebs to understand

2016 Ghostbusters didn't have moments like that. The characters were never in danger so the audience couldn't feel empathy. That's a big problem with Hollywood today. Where did the tension go?

Sure thing buddy

You can't have women be in danger, we've moved past the Damsel in Distress trope.

tumblr still loves it
it's not true contrarian-core yet, give it a couple of years

The main problem was that it was a reboot that tried to pretend the original didn't exist. Yeah okay, it had a few unfunny as shit bits where they nudge nudge wink wink at the original, but it was basically a character port to female. What they should have done was say it's years later, all the original characters were discredited as scam artists or some shit. Then they had daughters or even just random chicks who find the dusty old gear, and maybe unlock the containment unit accidentally letting out all the ghosts the original team caught. CONTINUE the story, don't just say the same story is happening again except with women this time.

As a babymankin, this triggers me. My lifestyle is not an insult.

That and they completely missed the point of how the ghostbusters work. Average joes, not heroes

But then they have follow a male team's legacy
Do you even understand how insensitive and misogynistic that is as a concept?

>capitalize off your predecessors
>blame it for your personal failings

This person shouldn't have even entered the workforce.

Well why didn't you just leave it alone you god damn retard

but Ghostbusters (2016) was the original. the 1984 movie is a hoax.

So fieg is prettymuch blacklisted from any major project from now until he dies, yeah?

The loss of potential revenue from essentially killing the franchise and the "universe" is way more crippling.

future so bright I gotta wear shades

This movie bombed so hard they had to rename it.

Paul Feig is directing a movie with Reese Witherspoon and then The Heat 2.

>hiding under McCarthy's massive skirt

so brave

Feig wanted another movie with an all female cast and Sony didn't want to lose the Ghostbusters rights. They probably would have done better with an original IP featuring a group of ladies fighting supernatural monsters. They could bill it as a "spiritual successor" to Ghostbusters without tarnishing it's brand. So now $ony will just shit out animated movies to keep the rights.

Then why didn't they just make an original movie.

Because less people go to see original movies, let alone ones that have an all female cast. They needed a marketable brand.

To what?

Didn't he say if it didn't make $800 billion he fucked up?

What's the point of being idealistic if you're going to compromise your ideals

Everyone knew of the Sony leaks. It was a huge story with a movie getting axed from theaters because of it.

They're doing an Edge of Tommorow thing where everytime the name is written it's now Ghostbusters: Answer the Call. They needed an easy way to differentiate it from the original.

Sony added "Answer the Call" to the title to try to salvage it as a cinematic universe.

It has nothing to do with trying to make it a cinematic universe. It's just so there's an easy way to tell it apart in writing from the original.

Yeah 200 million shy of breaking even

What a success

I recently bought the Ghostbusters Ultimate Visual History book. It's really incredible and has a ton of interesting stuff covering literally the entire franchise, in-depth, EXCEPT the reboot as it wasn't out at the time of publication. But at the end of the book, last paragraph or so, there's a small statement from Dan Aykroyd talking about how even with Ramis gone he's STILL intent on expanding the Ghostbusters brand in new and interesting ways and living up to the huge expectations, and how he wanted to say 'welcome aboard cadet' to newcomes. I realize now this soulless pile of trash Paul Feig shit out good and well dashed any hopes he had left forever and the brand is now poison. And all for what? Executive greed? Agenda pushing?

Nice try Paul

This level of transparency is a threat to our society.

Shut down the internet.

>There are so many references to the old film — there might be too many.

Was this ANYONE'S complaint about the reboot? I don't think I saw even one person saying that.

The issue is nobody wanted to see these old, fat, unattractive females. They claimed they made the movie for little girls, then why didn't they cast little girls? I would have actually paid to see ghost busting lolis

(((They're))) working on it

HAS

She made so many awful decisions, why wasn't she fired?

Why not just change it to what everyone is already calling it - "The Female Ghostbusters"?

you're thinking they're being idealistic when even in their 'progressivism' is just another attempt at exploitation through other means.

See businesses that rake in large profits from minority groups.

If it had worked, it would be good for the brand, the company and themselves.

Because nobody wants to call a woman out for being shit at her job, since the reaction will be "SEXISM!!! PATRIARCHY!!! RAPE!!!"

This literally isn't even a meme. They'd rather lose millions, if not billions of dollars to avoid doing so.

For an idealogy that claims progressiveness leads to better products because of more diversity in perspectives and ideas, its fucking amazing to me that everytime they try to rewrite an existing product to be more progressive it just leads to huge fucking drops in quality and performance.

What did he mean by this?

But I thought (((they))) loved money

NO

They're playing the long game. Gotta spend money to make money

No, people know Sony got hacked
And the media talked about the Interview and North Korea, and about Amy Pascal's comments on Obama
The media never reported on the rest. Outside of here and a few other places, no one knows about things like the proposed plan to get andrew garfield and tobey maguire in the same spiderman film or any of the ghostbusters shit

What's the point of money if it has no use?

Imagine if you could influence the minds of millions of people at no cost. That's what the movie business has become (assuming the movies make back their money).

DICK

a product finding a fanbase and they think they can either change the core focus or shift it to expand the fanbase

See the new starwars, which did work. Majority of the audience that saw new starwars in theaters were white men.

Funnelling weak, ineffectual people who are easily manipulated into positions of power is worth spending money on. The ultimate example is less than a month away.

SHE'S A MONKEY CHICK

Feminists have complained, for as long as there have been feminists, there aren't enough women in movies. But when they make their own movies, with as many real female characters as they want, and the movies fail fail, feminists don't blame the fact only feminists want to see feminist movies. They blame hollywood for not giving them a massive budget and spending millions to promote feminist movies.

So the next step in this logic was to, somehow, take an already successful movie and replace all the characters will real female characters. Since that isn't possible, all that remains is to try to reboot a successful franchise with all female characters.

And that's what ghostbusters was.

I have to believe they knew it wouldn't work. But they did it anyway for the sake of proving it wouldn't work. So all they have to do whenever feminists complain again is point at ghostbusters.

They like money because it brings power

Yeah but the difference is that Star Wars respected its fanbase and didn't shit all over them with muh narrative that men are evil.

I heard that most of the gross came from white men seeing it multiple times. That's how Star Wars has been since 1977.

>contrarian-core
True patricians only

>fire woman who is bad at her job
>she cries on the right shoulder
>she now has a lawsuit pending with sufficient damages to require liquidation of your company to pay

but it changed the core focus of the story, and fed the audience exclusively on nostalgia at the same time so I guess it is subjective to why it succeeded but that comes down to individual if they felt shit on or not.

I think they coasted on the brand, personally and used the marketing campaign to say 'this is your old starwars' even though it was their new ideology in old clothing.

Depends on how you look at it.

The president is always weak and ineffectual though.

making anakin a virgin birth, straight from the force, kinda removed all focus from the story, yo.

Not to mention the focus was, going by their presence, C3PO and R2D2.

But not always so easily manipulated. Even Hillary's supporters freely admit that she's a big business puppet shill, but you "have" to vote for her because Trump's "even worse". The US is walking into this with their eyes wide open, so there can be no complaints when it inevitably plays out the way it's going to. It's perfect.

>pull a woman judge

Most people loved Kylo and Han though, not like Finn and Poe were there to make a feminist example and to be eye candy either unlike Thor
Rey was a bit of a tomboy too

Uh, dog, since the lobbying cap was removed, every US politician is a "big business puppet shill." Officially. If they aren't, they get voted out for someone else.

The US government is nothing but a giant whore right now.

Good.

Ghostbusters was one good movie, and a fun cartoon and collection of toys for little kids at the time. It's about time they put an end to it.

they changed the focus from skywalkers to whoever these new people are who look nothing like the original protagonists.

rey, finn and poe are strategically aimed all at new demographics that are not the ones that saw the movie.

New ideology, old clothing.

I wouldn't know about most people.

You realize in the OT, the droids had more screen time than anyone else, right?

Then in the first prequel, jarjar had more screen time than anyone else.

There's never been much focus to the franchise. For if there was, it would be hard to call it star WARS

Wiig, tho. Smoking hot in any colour.

America is the most indoctrinated nation when it comes to media. Even in the feminist europe, nobody gave a shit.

he's trying to George Lucas a franchise he didn't even make

according the the director himself, that's still 280 million short

The droids followed all the action and george literally intended this if you ever heard his commentary

maybe but their attempt at changing the focus of who the movies were aimed at is clear which is why you're not saying anything about that and as a business decision it makes sense until you realize the prequels are more loved in china than the new sequel which shouldn't be true.

It shows that in their attempt to expand or change focus of fanbase, they're either trying to coast on the brand, change the brand or expand the fanbase.

It seems like they're shitting on original fans but I see OT fans defending the sequels.

Are you trying to imply Trump isn't a zionist shill too?

Madam Web?...

Yeah.

No. But Trump's purpose was never to get elected. It was to ease Hillary into the White House. Trump being put in place instead would at least be a spanner in the works. Something unexpected that wasn't ever desired. Of course, whoever wins, we lose. And people know that too. They just don't know why.

Your conspiracy theory falls apart when people at the top are actually divided ideologically.

Its a mryiad of competing forces at the top, most are greedy sociopaths that don't like to work for others

Hulk like writer
Writer understand Hulk
Hulk have trouble reading

>Because less people go to see original movies

This meme needs to die.

People don't see a movie because it's shit, has a boring premise, a premise that's been done to death, or because they don't like the actors, not because it's "original", and Hollywood has been putting out absolute hot garbage for years now.

Look at "Nice guys". They absolutely ruined that fucking movie by including the child actor in what should have been an adult only film.

Meanwhile, original comedies by Kevin Hart have been doing pretty well.

>But Trump's purpose was never to get elected. It was to ease Hillary into the White House

You dumb fucks still believe this, huh?

Your dumb falls a dumb when dumb dumb dumb. Actors playing roles. Hence why two people who disagree on almost literally everything else like Hillary and Trump present a unified front when asked about a particular subject.

(((You)))

>The US government is nothing but a giant whore right now.

Yup.

>and then said absolutely NOTHING about it when it bombed....

No, there were people who said something after it bombed.

themarysue.com/has-sony-given-up-on-a-ghostbusters-sequel-or-has-entertainment-media/

>referencing something makes it as good as what it's referencing

Is there some hot new designer drug that all the execs and market researchers are taking that turns them into a retard?

She's so brave and beautiful

These people always fucking look exactly how you expect them to. Literally female neckbeards.

>that paint job on those weathered garbage boards behind her

I could do better and I'm a fucking simpleton.

Shame that many people don't know about those leaks.

It explains how Murray was legally forced to be in this flick.

>Antagonize men and other people literally all the time
>WAH WHY DID IT FLOP

Wow, that post wasn't a joke like I first thought.

I actually feel sorry for him now

You're right, user. These kids will get it in a month.

>he didn't say
>MAYBE TOO MANY

That straight up implies he put too many references to the original in, which implies THAT'S what fucked it up, not the fact it sucked donkey dick so fucking bad.

kek

The Original Ghostbusters is the most overrated movie of 2016.

Paul Feig is a decent director when he's not shitting on his established franchises and insulting audiences. This is why certain people should never be handled a big project.

The worst thing about this whole fiasco was the hit job the media did on James Rolfe for not wanting to watch the movie.

The level of vitriol and anger sent his way was insanely disproportionate to the "offense" he committed, which was calmly saying he won't watch a movie. And this lasted for months!!

What's even sadder is that many of the same people who called James everything short of being a rapist remains silence on Devin Faraci, ironically one of the main drivers of Rolfe's harassment.

weird part Bridesmaids was successful when it came out.

they make a few original successes and then everything good goes away when they let it get to their heads.

Don't feel so bad for James because he's been thoroughly vindicated by everything that has happened since then.
He has every right to be smug about how badly and completely the movie has been fucked but he'll keep mum on it and be the better man again.

why it's time to tear it down.

K

>Devin Faraci
Who?

I just watched this

pros: Nice cgi, I actually like the whole neon color thing

cons: Everything else, the tone is completely off, its not right for the you can't make 10 jokes in a row ad libbing on the same thing, It totally slows down the movie. Jokes are done every 2 seconds and nearly all fall flat/ In the original ghostbusters you were laughing at how they delivered a line, they were cool and calm. This new one is a weird mess, the trailer is a good representation of the quality of this. Kate mckinnon is terrible, really unfunny

It really is great how the guy who will proudly record himself taking a dump on videogames and shit and talking about sucking diarrhea dog farts came out as the most mature person in that whole debacle.

>There are so many references to the old film — there might be too many.
The fact that they were all so poorly done didn't help much either. I swear every time they reference something from the better movies the music changes or gets quieter. Just so they made sure you got the point that this was a reference.

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

THIS IS MY MOVIE JAIL TIME

>Feig said promoting the movie at the Apple Store in SoHo, Manhattan
some people just dont get it

Isn't the jewishood passed from the mother, which is why jews don't care if their sons are faggots are traitorbreeders but turn fucking insane if their daughters want to date an ethnic guy or is lesbian?

The rules of what counts as Jewish on Cred Forums changes daily and usually with what they're butthurt about.

Snipdick here, you're correct.

500mil to break even

surprised sony hasn't tried to market a halloween release. showing original 2 and feig's movie on halloween weekend.
just to try to re-coup their losses.

She fucked Yahoo so bad that noone wants to buy it anymore. Best CEO ever.

He might have a valid point, (probably not), but does he not see the fucking irony in making a move that could only hope to be successful because it was riding in the nostalgia and brand recognition attached to the original movie, and blaming that movie for not being successful?

Is that they say? I thought they talked about just putting ghost aliens and forcing Murray to shill for them.

>people still think Jews are promoting race mixing because they believe in it and not for their own goals
>despite Jews being against mixing themselves

All female Expendables when

Diversity is for the goyims.

Hitchcock and whoever directed Drive would probably have been a bad idea. Harry Potter's director would probably have been best.

0/10 as bait, 3/10 as a joke.

>liked
wew lad

The one person I will admit that i felt said for in this Ghostbusters debacle was Leslie Jones.

What happened to her after the release was uncalled for.

where's that picture of Leslie accidentally putting out a public tweet saying the twitter hate thing was getting them good publicity and to keep doing it?

She eventually earned it after the fact, and she's (probably) a tatlentless bitch, so I don't feel sorry.

>FMSU

I looked that up on Google and I'm almost certain the result has nothing to do with this.

Kek

I actually heard they were planning this but the third one didn't do well so it think it's not happening

Here you go. Proof.

Wow, something typed in words with no source, citation, or signatures. I'm convinced!

That's a leak from the Podesta emails.
T
What Hillary did was convince her friends in the media to give Trump free coverage because she knew he would lose the general.
Trump didn't even know. He got played and so did his retarded followers.

Trump is a complete asshole who ain't worth shit.

Despite all that, Hillary is still a horribly shitty choice to lead the country.

HARAMBE

Who is this?
I mean Wikipedia only says that she a successful businesswoman basically, what did she presumably fuck up?

Was sent in to turn Yahoo around. It didn't work, and there was a recent news story that the largest data leak in history, (or one of the largest), occurred before Yahoo was purchased.

She literally drove Yahoo into the ground in less than 2 years.

Shes kinda hot though

The problem with this movie is that modern comedy film making absolutely fucking sucks donkey balls.

Also the fact that Ghostbusters as a franchise is the most overhyped thing in existence, seriously, 1 good movie, 2 is shit, the game is shit, ATC is shit. Number 1 was lightning in a bottle.

ATC had absolutely no chance.

Source on this in particular?

Nice South Park meme XD

Yeah, that was a thing for a while. They were in the process of casting Gina Carano and there were talks of trying to get Sigourney Weaver into the project IIRC, but the whole thing was eventually scrapped.

I put this film on when my gf and I were spooning, which leads to forking. We got through the opening with that guy from Silicon Valley and it was terrible, so I smashed her while it played and then deleted it.

Thanks Paul, great background noise.

Sony hired a chick flick director specializing in low budget movies.
If they kept his budget low and they had a cheaper and less retarded ad campaign, the movie would have been a small financial success.

>If they kept his budget low
That probably would have been difficult considering the underlying property.

The worst thing is that I got stuck with a director at work who did all these shitty policy changes because "Marissa Meyer did it".

The entire "it's just women haters!" Narrative relies entirely on the fact so few people know about the leaks. It's the same with the "at least Hillary isn't as bad as Trump" thing.

She brought it on herself. Not even joking, she fucked with the internet and the internet fucked back.

She was just an idiot though, Paul Feig deserved it more though.

If the original team couldn't recapture the magic in Ghostbusters II, I just can't understand why Feige thought he could do it with people who weren't as funny.

Feig never thought he could and didn't care. He was offered a huge paycheck to work on a huge franchise. He was going to take his chances no matter what.

I think Stallone even said the idea was stupid.

>insult original fans, only people who will see your movie
>it flops

>we're shoehorning references in guys it will be great just trust us!

I agree, but you'll have a hard time finding people here who are sympathetic to a nigger I'm afraid.

They could have pulled it off if they had used their daughters.

Nearly all the great action stars have daughters.

>If we keep intermarrying there will be even fewer of us in the future

wtf I love racemixing now