/advanced/

This is a thread for those of us who have been watching cinema seriously for over 5 years and have seen over 1000 films. Don't be offended; some of us have simply moved past imdb-core, capeshit, and the same old indie flicks. Do not derail the thread with trolling or off-topic discussion.

Without further adieu, I wish a warm welcome to my fellow cinephiles. Here are some discussion points to get our thread started:

>What have you been watching recently?

>What is your opinion on the current state of American and world cinema?

I watched Alien today and I must say, I was blown away. A revolutionary sci-fi and a well-deserved award winner.

Other urls found in this thread:

theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bane?

Very simple: Kill yourself, aeltbx

That's a big OP

I've been watching since the 1990s and have around 1k movies under my belt! All it has done is made me bitter. Everything seems more amateurish now. Time is a good filter of course and there was lots of shit I waded through in each decade to find gems. I'm just more harsh towards the shit and social propaganda now. Hollywood needs an enema.

The last film I saw that made me sit up and pay attention was "Elle" in original language without subtitles. I don't even speak french and even without knowing the language I was still on the edge of my seat. It was shot well enough that everything going on could be inferred even without sound.

>In 5 years
>You watched over 1000 films
>But Alien just today

thoughts on this kino?

Not him, but there are over 1000 films better than Alien, easily.

Name 1

I love MF Doom

what are some essential /advanced/ movies?
is there a chart?

>It was shot well enough that everything going on could be inferred even without sound.

That's the sign of a perfect film according to Steven Soderbergh

Spooks Run Wild.

Which he stole from Hitchcock.

Soderbergh is a sad character, endlessly pretending to be clever to impress teenage boys. Made two or three good movies, though, and I suppose that's as much as we can ask.

>1 hour long """"film""""

I let out a big laugh at this.

no you didn't.

>korean """cinema"""
>advanced

lmfao

Is 'Children of Men' kino?

Sorry, I left my capeshit chart at home.

It is a film, and a better one than Alien, but if you insist on a longer running time, give me a minimum duration and I'll give you another film better than Alien.

90 hours

No, seriously.

20 hours

>tfw copy pasted this on Cred Forums
>replaced movies with anime and capeshit with shonenshit,imbd-core with MAL-core and the same old indie flicks with the same old moe
>Cred Forums triggers and a bunch of underaged faggots get assblasted
>some Cred Forumsutist reports it and it gets deleted even if technically was on topic it was anime discussion
>mfw they allow sadpanda threads but not this kind of discussion

Fuck off you headset monkey.

jackie chan

This is not discussion, it's just ironic shitposting leaking out from letterboxd general

what did she mean by this?

this pasta is crap

Just to over this list.

theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php

Obviously don't do it chronologically. Find a movie you've seen and enjoyed and watch more from the same director. Read through the summaries, watch trailers and stuff, and watch those.

Cinema is a nice hobby. I average around 300 new movies each year.

>Cinema is a nice hobby.
I found it rather dull. Sitting inactively (physically) in front of a monitor. Really, the film that killed my interest to cinema was Tsai's Goodbye, Dragon Inn. People staring monitor doing nothing. Just seemed absurd.

You can say anything is absurd, dude. Reading, painting, hiking.

the knick is very well shot for a tv show. just dont give him any challenging projects and he is good

>13 yos triggered
>1 autist ironically shitposting
>discussion

>snowpiercer
convince me why it;s good

it's*

thanks for that mate. different keyboard layout to what I'm used to

Start reading books, far superior medium. There are some good films, but very few can be said to have the emotional impact a good book can have.

>There are some good films
Nice condescending 'opinion' from an embryo/10

I'm active reader, always were. Good book is definitely better than good film IME

Movies trump books

A picture is worth a thousand words and a movie is worth a thousand pictures

so all we need is a book with >1000000 words? easy

>muh hobby is more intellectual that your hobby. stop enjoying what i don't like.
just hang yourselves

Are there any actual good films out there that have an overall positive tone and that kids can watch too?

I didn't say any of that.

>watching cinema seriously

What is essential silent cinema? And if I've seen those, what should I watch next?

(Also, after seeing The Passion of Joan of Arc what should I watch next by Dreyer?)

unless it's a trilogy like three colours, then it needs to be >3000000

What you should do is not ask serious questions on a spam bait thread

Who the fuck cares about what >le 'kids can watch too'?

You can't "watch cinema seriously". Watching cinema is a plebian activity by definition. The only way to truly appreciate the cinematic medium is to make films yourself. Until then you'll be an eternal pleb.