I saw this yesterday. I have never seen a Godzilla movie before, except for the Zilla movie when I was a kid...

I saw this yesterday. I have never seen a Godzilla movie before, except for the Zilla movie when I was a kid. I liked it. Can we have a thread about it? If I liked this one, are there any others I would enjoy? I am under the impression that most of the ones worth watching are either really old and cheesy.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3fC0VPrGoL0
youtube.com/watch?v=kRSLCABT4g0
youtube.com/watch?v=uirF6FDKxSU
youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI
youtu.be/_8IQFyoxCxs
youtube.com/watch?v=q4pRNdflSC4
youtube.com/watch?v=ihd_uzrX2Bw
youtube.com/watch?v=74fxNHPBnv8
youtube.com/watch?v=NW18XAkV4cY
youtube.com/watch?v=QTFux8O6wS0
youtube.com/watch?v=DfwLQIE3l4s
youtube.com/watch?v=n60CHmu3fvU
youtube.com/watch?v=_u0DJFWXVpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I can't see it anywhere in Cuckropa
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I live in the UK where its not being shown, any online versions to watch

this is a remake of Gojira (Godzilla) the original film. None of the other Godzilla movies carry much of the same weight or message, especially everything between the 1960's to 1990's.

I don't know what aspects of the movie you liked best so I can't give you similar recommendations. If you just want monsters fighting each other and rampaging, then pick any Godzilla movie randomly and have fun.

I loved Shin Godzilla too.

As far as watching more of them, I would recommend doing a little homework first. There are basically 3-5 categories of Godzilla depending on who you ask and it's to do with the Japanese emperor of their particular time. From the 60's up until the 80's, it was called Showa era, from the 80's into the early 90's it was called Heisei period, anything after 2000 is considered millennial Godzilla.

Showa is mostly goofy, 'fun' takes on Godzilla that were mostly for fun.

Heisei was a much more serious tone Godzilla, featuring highly detailed suits and enjoying the amazing 80's camera and film quality.

Millenial is mostly a throwback to something between Heisei and Showa. Some of it was serious, some not so much, but it's all tongue in cheek and goes anywhere from classic Mothra shenanigans all the way up to Matrix-esque ninja groups trained to fight Godzilla with drill-tipped airships.

My favorites are Biollante and Destroyah. Biollante has less action and is more story driven, Destroyah is more action oriented and is lighter on story.

>that image

It looks like he's eating a huge dildo thats so long he needs something to prop up the other end.

This is my favorite monster of any Godzilla, Biollante, formed from a psychic experiment and a bioengineered rose bush.

The 1954 original for sure

Comfiest Goji movie.

1954, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, GMK, Tokyo S.O.S, and Final Wars are all must-watches.

Any movie featuring Mecha Godzilla is also a must-watch, in my opinion.

What are you into? The tone of godzilla films vary wildly.

If you liked this one, chances are you might love the other godzilla-only films like the original or godzilla 1985/godzilla returns

I agree with the threas tho in that godzilla vs. Biollante is amazing

Here's another chart that might help.
If you liked Shin, you should definitely continue with the original 1954 film and then go from there.

Not Godzilla, but Giant God Warrior Appears In Tokyo was a short film Anno and Higuchi did a couple years ago that's worth checking out if you liked the filmmaking in Shin

Not Godzilla, but the 90s Gamera trilogy is worth watching.

Not Godzilla, but Godzilla (1998) is half decent.

This. Revenge of Iris is one of the best kaiju films out there.

>All those close-up shots during some of the discussions
Was Anno channeling Wes Anderson?

The monster is good.
It's the humans I cannot stand.
Don't get me wrong I respect the actors.

I just have no respect for the plot.
It's kissing young people's ass.

Boomers are effectively the worst generation tho, here and in Japan.

Boomers or not, the plot is a disgrace.

They first establish how impossible the problem is, then hand the solution to the young people on silver plate.

How convenient it is that the radioactive pollution caused by Godzilla would decrease in just a few weeks? This is fuckinn chearing. All these new element shit just to make the biology girl smile

>chearing
Cheating.

Oh and how is it that American supercomputer cannot solve the diagram all these time, but you can easily solve it just by folding it?

The same cheat was used in Contact the movie. They always think only human intuition can see things folded and overlapping like a paper, not knowing that this is 101 for a computer.

It's a spiritual remake. Some interesting reuses of visuals and situations, however, unlike TFA, it felt like its own thing. Also, Godzilla vs Hedorah does something similar. Think about it.

Movie was so boring. Saw it in theaters in Michigan. Was expecting much different film. Destruction scenes and Godzilla was awesome but the board room meetings and human characters were boring as fuck

What the fuck does Star Wars have to do with this?
>Do I fit in yet, guys?

He is comparing two spiritual remakes, TFA is a soft remake of ANH as well as Shin is of G54.

>how is it that American supercomputer cannot solve the diagram all these time, but you can easily solve it just by folding it?
Because American can't into Origami

> The Force Awakens blatantly and frequently borrows from A New Hope and its two sequels, rarely ever feeling like its own thing. The visual and audio callbacks were enough, though then they had to add countless narrative similarities.

> Shin Godzilla is clearly inspired by Gojira, however, it's also significantly different.

I want to see more of things like Shin Godzilla. Having an appreciation for the past, yet also having its own identity and able to stand on its own feet.

No it isn't, it's the first Gamera film in that trilogy that you want

Humans were great in Shin Godzilla which is why it's cut above the rest like the original godzilla film

Might want to end your life senpai

Both terribly ugly compared to the SDF cutie.

Yeah, easily one of the best human casts in the franchise. Rando Yaguchi was an awesome protagonist. I have similar love for the actors and actresses Honda worked with in his prime (1954-1965).

Mind telling me why I'm wrong? I'm actually interested in discussing film here faggolo. Evangeleon is my favorite anime and I thought powering Godzilla down for half the film was stupid as fuck and the dialogue didn't fit a film with actual humans it sounded very anime

>The same cheat was used in Contact the movie. They always think only human intuition can see things folded and overlapping like a paper, not knowing that this is 101 for a computer.

I guess I just have to repeat myself:

The same cheat was used in Contact the movie. They always think only human intuition can see things folded and overlapping like a paper, not knowing that this is 101 for a computer.

It would have made sense if it were a robot but it's Godzilla not a fucking robot

>sounding very anime
hmmmmmm wonder why

Are the Heisei films even half as awesome as their posters?
They're the only Godzilla films that interest me.

Might be because the level of acting was high minus the Japanese/American and had a diverse and INTERESTING cast that you could give a shit about? That good enough for you cock breath?

Not the same user and I liked the characters, though I'll admit there are like two lines that felt kind of awkward. But nothing too jarring. And there wasn't anything wrong with Godzilla resting to recharge his energy supply. Gave the audience a chance to catch a breath, add a little tension, and prepare for the climax.

t. somebody who didn't enjoy 1954

They are better then showa.
aside from mothra, ghidorah and maybe MK godzilla and Spacegodzilla, you can take them seriously.

Fuck you.
Original Godzilla have different characters: father, daughter, official, fishermen, officer, mad scientist etc

Every other movie has several different characters. Especially the goofy ones.

Shin has only two: politicians and scientists. No I guess they are just one the same technocrat. They are always in the same room, on the same side, doing the same thing. Absolutely no conflict at all

I have said it once and I don't know how many times I have to say it: Anno is a Nazi. Hitler reincarnated.

Why do people like old godzilla movies ?
Shit looks like it's from power ranger or something. It has no redeeming qualities

> They are better then showa.

Please stop

It's the aesthetic, the energy, the sense of fun, the imaginative world.

They are better then Showa if you want shit more similar to 1954 in tone rather then superhero nonsense, Godzilla is an anti-hero at best and ends up at odds with the military in every single fucking movie.

>Those eyes
do you think that he cummed in that suit?

1991 King Ghidorah is the pinnacle of batshit crazy Godzilla plots. It's awesome.

godzilla march is an amazing theme, i just want to pop in and say it

Every Heisei film after Godzilla vs King Ghidorah features some of the dullest characters in the series and special effects that regularly dip below the quality of things done decades earlier. But muh continuity and muh serious tone. Only the music and posters are worthy of consistent praise.

This

I think Biollante and Destroyah were great, but the Heisei films vary wildly in quality.

Aside from the original movie, Shin Godzilla is tonally different to pretty much every other movie in the series. There was a hint of camp in Shin Godzilla, but there are definitely greater degrees of camp in pretty much every other movie. They're worth a look, for sure.

I'd recommend Honda's other early works: Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah, and Monster Zero

Only truly bad Heisei movies are vs Mothra and SpaceGodzilla

Everything else is perfectly fine if not great

Yeah Ifukube Akira was a great composer. Anno and his buddies used their chance to remind people that.

Actually other composers though out the decades have made some good works. I have seen a video listing those composers on YouTube but can't find it right now

>tell Anno to make godzilla
>he makes Evangelion
the absolute madman

Vs Mothra is like an enjoyable kind of stupid, though.

>Even Shinkawa is getting in on the fun

Fuck yes

How

the fuck

is there no cams or torrents yet?

what kind of kino is this?

So we have Asuka for sure, and perhaps a shadow of Rei, but where is Shinji?

I loved that the UN created an entire group just to deal with Godzilla.

very glad I saw this on the second of the only two showings it got in my city, really good stuff from anno and the other guy

hopefully madman will be on top of a blu-ray distribution here too eventually

That thing looks metal gear as fuck

That's because it's drawn by the guy who does the Metal Gear art, Yoji Shinkawa.

>It sounded anime

It sounded japanese

They did nothing wrong.

Heisei Godzilla is one of the best looking and the most badass. The movies still have batshit plot elements but it's played completely straight.

How could you care about these characters? There was 0 personality whatsoever, they were so boring

wow hey Cred Forumsmblr didn't see ya there, what are your pronouns today?

I have seen a few J-dorama and therefore recognized some casting coincidence in this

They have no muh family or muh quirkyness, they are normal people and act like normal people would, most of them.

Not every single character in a movie has to be a special snowflake like in Hollywood movies.

Where are muh family actually??
This is a serious problem I have with the movie.
I only saw one shot of the guy (who called everyone names when the meeting began) making one video call to his wife and kid. And that's it. Every other guy looks like they are grown from trees.

They don't even look like their apartments are in Tokyo. They have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I actually have a theory for this:
Anno intentionally kept distance from refugee experience, because that's how people in Tokyo feel about war in iraq and tsunami in northeast.

Great taste. Biollante and destroyah are my favs too

We just have to accept that the movie only wants to focus on the elite.

Kamata-kun destroyed a building when a family was in the middle of evacuating and killed them, that's it I guess, we also have Kayoko's father.

>I've never actually seen a Godzilla movie: the post

Oh and the stuff with Dr Maki's wife which could be important plot-wise.

faggots will disagree with this but watch the English dubs. They're heavily edited which improves them greatly.

without heavy editing you won't be able to keep your eyes open

I went to go see this with my friends. I thought it was a solid 9/10 while they all hated it. Best pleb filter ever

>Citizens of Tokyo running in panic
>Soldier guy:"Take shelter! American bombing against Godzilla is about to begin!"
I wonder how the scene would look like if they shorten the sentence and just say "American bombing is about to begin"

that Bunker Buster dropped in Tokyo is clearly a reference to American bombing of Bagdad

And the great fire of Tokyo is a homage to the '54 original, which was a homage to the bombing and earthquake fire of Tokyo. .

the intro of mechagodzilla 3 and king ghidorah is goat

Here you go
m.youtube.com/watch?v=3fC0VPrGoL0
ゴジラ歴代監督と音楽家を一挙ご紹介-2016_Godzilla All Director and Musician

I watched Shin Godzilla yesterday and I fucking loved it.
Am I crazy if I'm extremely tempted to watch the other 28 movies that I never saw?

I had a conversation with a friend who argued that Shin Godzilla is not truly a Godzilla movie because of the radical changes to Godzilla's origin meaning he's no longer a radioactive dinosaur . Most of my favorite Godzilla movies are original interpretations of the character.

>Godzilla (1954)
Irradiated sea monster.

>GMK (2001)
The vengeful incarnation of soldiers who died during WWII. Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Baragon are given alternate origins as well.

>Shin Godzilla (2016)
Microscopic organisms mutated by radioactive waste.

I see where he's coming from, but I think Godzilla is a little more than his backstory.

Have fun with them, start with 54

That's what I planned to do, watch them all in release order.
How would I go about obtaining them to watch since there's so fucking many of them? Any specific things I should know before going in?

Those stuoid NOT MUH faggots are everywhere.
They can't wrap their fucking heads around a new imagining cause it's not the same so it has to be shit.

I had similar argument with another guy. Let's say that I like "metaphor" of radioactive dinosaur, and he is a "Cannon" guy.

He told me that Godzilla has only been a dinosaur in a few episodes and in others it is explained that it's related to mammals (hence it looked like a cat )

>literal tumblr dialogue
why?

>Any specific things I should know before going in?

Things start getting goofy in the 60's.

I'm more than fine with that. I can enjoy both the serious movies and the goofy movies. Thanks for the info, though.

Good. Vs. Megalon and Destroy All Monsters are both hilariously great

youtube.com/watch?v=kRSLCABT4g0

shin gojira best gojira

Now that I think about it, Godzilla was never a mutated dinosaur until Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991). In the original film it's implied that he was a sea monster living on the ocean floor. The atom bomb scarred him and destroyed his home, but it's never mentioned or implied that the bomb changed him in any way (other than making him radioactive).

The song that plays when Godzilla obliterates Tokyo is written in the perspective of Godzilla.

If you like Shin Godzilla, friendly reminder to watch Patlabor 2.

Basically the same concept and similar themes but with mecha instead of Godzilla

It's his fault for walking all over a city

Maki Goro = Hoba Eiichi(P1) + Tsuge Yukihito(P2) + Misaki Saeko(WX3.P3)

Anno is weird enough where this could be the case

the tank scene was really cool and I loved the shot where they mounted the camera on the back of the tank. That gave me a huge boner

my own autistic chart that no one agrees with

Those Showa Era recommendations are on point. Great taste. You're a little too hard on Ghidorah though.

>1998
>consider it

>2014
>can be skipped

>vs Megalon
>can be skipped

Poor taste.

Thanks senpai. Ghidorah is a good one but I'm not a huge Mothra guy and I feel like it gets a little too dumb at points. Astro Monster is fucking based though

>they first establish how impossible the problem is, then hand the solution to the young people on a silver plate
because that's what happened during Fukushima, retard. The government moved too slowly to react to the disaster.

>radioactive pollution dissipates in just a few weeks
because that's literally what happened in fukushima, retard. That's how Plutonium works.

I said not everyone agrees. I like 1998 not so much as a Godzilla film, and really it's more of a straight remake of Beast from 20000 Fathoms than anything, but it's a fun if overly long movie. 2014 on the other hand is just a giant mistake in every way. Megalon is fun but it's hard to overlook how stupid it is after a certain point. It's definitely the most child-focused Godzilla movie, and Jet Jaguar is just an attempt to grab that Ultraman market much like Zone Fighter was

The refugees don't need to be reminded of their situation.
The purpose of the whole film is to shit all over the current government.

he's described as the missing link between terrestrial and marine life (which I dunno if technically counts as dinosaur in real life but was made out that way in the movie) that absorbed a massive amount of radiation which I would assume was meant to imply that he was mutated unnaturally as well as injured by the experience

Just saw it in philly a couple hours ago

Liked the film overall but the "American" actors were all terrible...also the American ambassador girl could have been cast better imo (someone who actually is a native English speaker?)

>youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI
10/10 score

The 1954 is still the best

>A shaft of light is all I need
>To cease the darkness killing
>Meanwhile Godzilla is shooting lasers at the stealth bombers (one of which actually hurt him)

Why does it look so retarded?

babies look retarded user

> but the "American" actors were all terrible
Terrible? Bit of a strong word. They were fine. But they definitely had room for improvement.

Fish are retarded

Why is it that in many Japanese films, actors who actually speak fluent English talk like robots?

Don't be rude to Godzilla, user.

Because japs don't know or care what actual English sounds like.

Because it must be disgusting. "Beautiful" evil is for Hollywood.

Megalon is awful. It should only be enjoyed ironically.

DAM has it moments, though overall it's lackluster. A lesser Monster Zero.

>tfw I like Godzilla 2014
>tfw I gave up defending it out of sheer exhaustion and MUH CRANSTON posters

Feels bad, man.

You're not alone user. I like 2014 too. It's very similar to one of my favorite Showa films too in terms of layout.

Defend G14 without using:
> It respected the character
> It's better than G98
> It's just like every other Godzilla movie

I don't have to constantly read.

We have Asuka? Which character? Kayoko seemed more like a mix of Misato and Kaji.

Godzilla didn't look unintentionally funny

Monster fights were great

This is honestly probably the most fun I've had at a movie all year. Struggling to think if anything got me on the edge of my seat like the blackout and ensuing beamspam.

Daily reminder that Anno is a hack and Oshii has been the original maestro and has been delivering.

Daily reminder the hack meme is stupid and to never trust the opinion of anyone who uses it

I'm glad that we got both too. The thought of staggered Godzilla movies every few years makes me rock hard.

That one is really good, but Iris is better in my opinion.

>Godzilla stands and fights like kodiak bears the mocap guys studied
>main character actually has a reason to be in the crossfire of the fight
>Godzilla is neutral (kills other monsters, but also drowns an untold number of people upon landfall - possibly hundreds if not thousands), which is rare in the movies
>great, understated score that also is a love letter to the original theme
>Godzilla is still not a 100% hero loved by humanity at the end
>easter eggs littered throughout the film for longtime fans

Is it not coming to the UK at all? That's horseshit.

I thought they created a new element whose half life is 20 days so that the biology girl can smile?

>that's what happened in Fukushima
Remind me exactly what happened in Fukishima please?

To my impression, whether it's heroism or bumbling, it was done by the existing bureaucracy of Japan, the system. There wasn't a smart department vs stupid department back then.

But in the movie Anno makes a clean cut: Seniors are always stupid. Young people are always right, to the point that they are overpowered. The bad news always contradicts what seniors said the good news always confirms what young people said. Fuck that.

Rando insisted its a giant animal before there was a clear footage=hero
Seniors refused to believe the existence of an animal's body heat can boil the sea=fool

When clear footage is available, established biologists say things without looking at footage. The biology girl gets credited by plainly describing the footage.

When they have to predict whether the animal would land, the prime minister say it cannot despite the footage clearly shows the animal is already on the land=fool. The biology girl predicts that it can land based on nothing but "I have already taken the weight into consideration"=hero.

did she address to the question that the weight of the animal is supposed to crush itself? No. Did she explain how she knew it will land, and respond to other people's doubt? No. Anno just overpowered the hero above the system.

what was with the tail at the end? I thought it was going to be human skeletons, but they seemed to be mutated. Is that supposed to be Godzilla's spawn?

Did you notice that the American Ambassador is incredibly young and pretty and cute, and is a Japanese star that gets the top billing, and her Japanese lines far exceeding English lines?

Why would you want someone who can speak native English, when the director intended to deliver the charm of the character through Japanese and her look, and her English is just a window dressing?

Why don't you ask Rando and that Senpai of his to speak a workable English that matches their credential? Real Japanese officials speak English better than these actors you know.

I know why. Because Asuka is a character so poorly written that people don't demand anything from her except her English. When people tolerate Rando they tolerate his Engrish but Kayako was insufferable.

I think it's supposed to keep you guessing, to get you anticipating a sequel. Personally I think it's people that small Godzilla consumed while he was evolving, and their skeletons warped and changed as he grew.

I loved how Persecution of the Masses played just as the politicians began to understand just how dire things really were. The entire scene gave me chills.

Three of the things you listed involves Godzilla's character (which has little to do with the quality of the overall film) and I strongly disagree with your comment about the score, I usually found the music either inappropriate or so understated it was basically nonexistent. And easter eggs are irrelevant.

I agree, it's easily the most grotesque option, fuck I loved the movie

>Godzilla's character (which has little to do with the quality of the overall film)

Because the title isn't GODZILLA or anything.

Because...
1. Japanese show business is closed to Japanese and fluent English doesn't get actors ahead
2. People with fluent English have better things to do than acting in Japan

And...
3. The style of Japanese movies, especially kaiju movies, always demand formalistic acting. Each line is full of jargons and forced passion, but it's supposed to be read with a rhythm that keeps it interesting. But actors who can speak English cannot deliver English lines with that rhythm.

4. To Japanese audience and directors English are just labels on the weapons.

>easter eggs littered throughout the film for longtime fans
Examples? I only remember the Mothra easter egg.

How long until this is out on video? Im willing to import.

Are there meaning in characters' names?

Patterson... What's in that name?

Someone should have mentioned that to the filmmakers. Specifically the writers. And Godzilla's character is pretty flexible, there's a lot you can do with him before getting into the hot zone. Anyway, my point was respecting the character doesn't automatically make the film good. I want a discussion about the other components of the flick. Apologists have a habit of immediately jumping to something along the lines of "at least it's not Zilla." Let's get beyond that and discuss G14's own merits as a film.

>Because the title isn't GODZILLA or anything.
And yet he only shows up halfway through and isn't even shown until the end.

Just like Terror of Mechagodzilla.

I liked that the military weren't portrayed as overzealous retards - when Serizawa comes forward, the general is actually willing to stop and listen to what he has to say. Even when the plan to use a nuke gets put into play, nobody thinks it's a good idea but nobody can come up with a better alternative than "let them fight" which is a Godzilla mainstay. Also, Ford (I can't defend his lack of personality, but I blame that more on the script than the actor) contributes to the climax of the movie by destroying the MUTO nest with the tanker truck, and in doing so turns the tide of battle in Godzilla's favor.

As for the much bemoaned early death of Bryan Cranston, yeah I wasn't crazy about it either but it made sense in the context of the story. The whole reason he spends ten years fucking around in the ruins of the nuclear research site is to find out what is responsible for his wife's death. Once he does, there isn't a whole lot left for him to do - especially when you consider with Serizawa around (who already works with Monarch and knows things about the monsters), having two main scientists around would just be redundant. Killing off Cranston early was supposed to be a shock - for youngfags, compare it to Executive Decision coming out, and killing off Steven Seagal in the first act even though he was still an A-lister at the time.

>Godzilla (2014)
6.5/10, serviceable attempt. Human elements were bland and forgettable, the cutaways/teasing was obnoxious, and while the finale was very exciting the incredibly dark screen made it annoying to watch.

It's not bad, but it's held back from being good by a few very surface level problems, I have hope for the sequels.

>Shin Godzilla (2016)
10/10, a complete masterpiece. Goji has never been this terrifying and unsettling, and this film has some of his most awesome moments.

A very non-standard and experimental political satire coupled with a horrifying monster movie, brilliant directing, incredible music, and a ton of reverence for the original Gojira (1954).

It elevates the genre and was one of the greatest things I've ever seen in the cinema.

Holy shit I haven't laughed that hard in a while, thanks user.

I liked Shin Godzilla, but you might want to pump the brakes a bit there, lest you risk sounding like a weeb.

more like Shill Godzilla amirite

Totally, you can do that with Godzilla. BUT, Terror of Mechagodzilla wasn't Godzilla's introductory movie so it's okay for him to not be the focus. This was American Godzilla's introductory movie, and because of that I think he should have been the focus.

I think the 2014 Godzilla was okay, but I would have rathered it just be Godzilla smashing cities and the humans trying to stop him. Then in the sequels he comes back to fight other monsters.

>Japanese things can never be better than American things because I don't want to sound like a weeb.
Whatever you say, user.

>>>/tumblr/

>still crying about filenames in current year
Shit, user. You're not feigning ignorance about how Google Image Search works just to avoid making an actual point, are you?

>Showa is mostly goofy, 'fun' takes on Godzilla that were mostly for fun.
>Heisei was a much more serious tone Godzilla, featuring highly detailed suits and enjoying the amazing 80's camera and film quality.
These memes need to die. The Showa series had all of Honda's entries, the most serious films in the series (along with Shin, GMK, and 1984). The Hesei era had the time-traveling Xenophobic mess that was GvKG, the least subtle and least sensical environment message movie of all time, and the beamspamming shitpiles that were GvMG2 and GvSG. Further, their effects were mediocre because Kawakita gave up after Biollante. Destoroyah would be remembered as another mediocre entry if it weren't for its ending.

>American
How about things in general? This shit was Bollywood tier in terms of acting and outlandishness. A reserved Bollywood film, but still.

It didn't have any musicals, romance, or melodrama. So I fail to see how it was in any way like a Bollywood film other than the fact that you didn't understand the original language.

2014 Godzilla is a soft 8/10
The human character is more relatable if you've been in his shoes
His wife and kids are just there to show what all he has at risk
Bryan Cranston's role was short but he nailed it. People today don't appreciate a good suprise anymore.

Shin Godzilla is a personal 10/10. I'll need to watch it again but I appreciated everything I saw

>the most serious films in the series

I drive a Nissan, so the idea that Japanese things can be better than American things isn't that alien to me. But Shin Godzilla, as much as I liked it, still doesn't reach the top 5.

KinGoji was the best Showa suit.

HA HA HA HA AH AHA HA HAHAHAHAHA

>English Lyrics of Who Will Know

Godzilla is a teenage school shooter

And I also googled that song called Come Sweet Death. It is also edgy as fuck.

This Anno guy is afraid that English readers don't know how edgy he is

>no melodramas
Holy shit stop my sides from melting.

Brief comedic moments in an otherwise serious film is a bad thing?

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster wasn't serious.
It was impossible to take the retarded human plot seriously for even one second especially when all the humans are complete assholes stepping on each other's feet the whole time.

I was thinking specifically of Raids Again, Mothra vs Godzilla, All Monsters Attack, Hedorah, and Terror of Mechagodzilla, all of which are more serious films than any Hesei entry aside from 1984 and Biollante regardless of their effects quality. Ghidorah and Son of Godzilla were lighthearted romps.
Yes, including Hedorah. That movie treated its themes with the utmost seriousness and carried its message well, while still being zany monster fun. Compare that, for instance, to Mechagodzilla 2 being a crap lightshow and then shoving a message about real life vs artificial life into the last three minutes of the movie.

Where was the melodrama, big guy? At what point were the characters acting in an over-exaggerated fashion?

In that scene for one. There isn't a single scene where they aren't yelling or crawling over each other, it's hilarious.

>Executive Decision

Sup oldfag, I miss the days when things like that didn't get ruined by the internet.

>All Monsters Attack

Oh it's an /m/ autist who thinks that movie was actually super deep and meaningful and nobody but him took it seriously enough to see the brilliance

Giant monster is destroying the city and you think yelling is over-exaggeration? Come on, family.

Did you prefer the 1998 Godzilla where nobody ever acted scared?

> Retarded human plot
> Asshole human characters
You must have watched a completely different film. Ghidorah is better anything that came out of the 90s.

>over-exaggeration
They don't even pretend to be scared most of the time, and when they are scared they go over the top with it. It's like they are playing the whole time, the great failing of modern Japanese cinema.

you don't know what melodrama is, it's not the same as drama

It's a contrast to the seated meeting of old seniors

yep it's an /m/ faggot alright

You don't have to pretend to enjoy bad movies to look cultured kiddo.

Yes I do, it's Shin Godzilla.

It's NOO YAWK! It'll gonna take more than some frikkin' lizid ta spook us!

>fast-forward three years

That wasn't even me, the one you accused of being /m/, you dumb shit. But he's right, Ghidorah is better than any of the 90s films. It's laughable that you talk about "bad movies" while defending those.

Well, user. I can't really have a discussion about this with somebody who either didn't watch the movie or doesn't understand what melodrama is.

It's a waste of time for me to bother trying to discuss this with you since you clearly have no interest in even trying to understand the movie. You're just dismissing it because it's Japanese and you need to prove you're not a weeaboo on an anime image board.

Not him but that space princess plotline that had nothing to do with fucking anything seriously came off like a serious movie to you? Also the monsters talking to each other and Godzilla actually just being bullied? This is serious to you at all?
That and the fact the monsters do fuckall for the entire movie beyond one garbage fight at the end.

If you don't like people criticizing something you like then maybe you shouldn't scream about how it's the best thing ever all the time. You wouldn't want to taste the shit in your sandwich.

No one is saying Ghidorah is a serious movie, they're saying it's better than the 90s movies.
>the monsters do fuckall
>Godzilla and Rodan rampage, have an extended fight, Ghidorah rampages, the summit, and then the big fight
What's your idea of a non-garbage fight, then? Godzilla and _____Godzilla standing around shooting lasers at each other?

If you provided an actual criticism instead of throwing around words you don't understand and bitching about the country it was made in, maybe that would facilitate an actual discussion.

It's okay family, you're just not very bright. Most of Godzilla is pretty dumb so I'm sure you'll enjoy all of that.

>have an extended fight,

That never happened.
It's the same kind of cut away cockteasing in that movie as in 2014

We saw plenty of that fight, and as it was juggling screentime with Ghidorah and the Priestess plotline, it's more acceptable that it's not the sole focus of screentime than the cockteasing of Godzilla and the MUTOs for no adequate reason.

I did provide criticism. You dismissed it because you can't stand someone bringing down your beloved flick.

Misusing a buzzword isn't criticism, senpai.

And shoving your head in the sand won't make valid criticism go away.

Shut up Shin Godzilla is cool, gayboy

Then please make valid criticism.

>Godzilla becomes a superhero with human intelligence and dexterity without even the barest attempt made at behaving like he did initially

>without even the barest attempt made at behaving like he did initially
That Godzilla died, are you going to try and judge the behaviors of a species on one individual? Are you a racist, user?

Showa gave up on the slowed movement and completely ruined Goji's sense of scale.

Guy on the right was sexy

Should have gotten the girl

Was he supposed the live-action, adult Kaworu?

youtu.be/_8IQFyoxCxs

>tfw no more Ifukube music.

So MOABs damage him

Why not. Send the entire USAF fleet of bombers (200+) and wreck his shit?

Also they never tried bunker busters. Japan doesn't have them and the bombs they used were just.1,000lbs with JDAM kits. A GBU-28 probably would have worked

The thing is, there really are two halves of the Showa era. The period went on twice as long as the Heisei era It's easy to rebut your claim with "Jet Jaguar,lol", but things like that came up as the original guard was dying, or moving on from the franchise. There's the showa era of Gojira, Raids again, Mothra vs, and the like. Then there's the Showa era of vs Gigan, vs Megalon, and the like, where the budgets where cut and the audience targeted children more. And then you have outliers in each half; King Kong vs. godzilla is very intentionally humorous satire and Terror of Mechagodzilla attempts to be a serious Godzilla movie that ended up closing out the era.

Heisei veered off into silliness towards the end as well, though again, it had a more serious send off to the era.

Any updates on the Gojira 2014 fanedit?

WB shut it down.

None yet

Liar.

> that space princess plotline that had nothing to do with fucking anything seriously came off like a serious movie to you?

She's from a civilization that King Ghidorah destroyed. How does that not tie in?

>Also the monsters talking to each other and Godzilla actually just being bullied? This is serious to you at all?

Because the Heisei movies never implied he monsters interacted, right? The "talking" we see is just the interpretation of what Mothra says by two childlike beings. Of course it'd come across as being kinda silly. Again, Heisei used a similar device with a psychic girl, too. If you said the godzilla talking scene in vs. Gigan, I'd understand.

I got you senpai

>Godzilla what foul language!
>Godzilla only attacks because humans bullied him
>Five minutes of bickering spent on how Rodan and Godzilla want apologies

You're really gonna defend this?

>Godzilla only attacks because humans bullied him
The first thing he does in the movie is rear up out of the ocean and nuke a cruise ship for no reason.

Odds of this getting a RLM review?

Hopefully 0.

We have to get their attention. But how...

They don't do foreign films so don't count on it.

This. They won't understand it and will needlessly criticize it.

Besides the only one of them that likes foreign films that I know of is Jay, and those are only hippie pornos.

I'll take that over the Heisei Era's shameless lifts from popular American films of the time. Can anyone say: Terminator, Aliens, and Indiana Jones?

As overall films, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah, and Monster Zero has the entire Heisei Era beat by a long run.

Pretty much. I like RLM and I like Mike, but he's a super pleb. He doesn't like anything with a non-standard narrative or any form of depth.

He only likes straight forward schlock.

>I'll take tonally inconsistent gonzo bullshit over homages to other films

Was it autism?

The Heisei era is fucking fantastic. Biollante and Destroyah are both 10/10. You're crazy.

wow... so THIS is the power of japanese cgi

Biollante is 10/10. 84 and Destoroyah are 7-8/10. The rest is all crap.

>Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
>In the future Japan becomes the most powerful nation in the world.

> Destroyah = 10/10

Destoroyah is a six at best. Biollante, while heavily flawed, is easily the best of its bunch.

You don't understand the japanese is what you're saying.
They're a lot more cool and calm and down to business.
The movie focused on the country's ELITE. The people at the very top who have jobs to do to make sure their country can continue after it.
When they snapped it was perfect and actually more human than what you wanted. The scene where the guy tells him to relax and hands him the water makes it pretty clear how cool and clear headed they have to be or they can't do their job.
How is this a valid criticism when it's in fact how they would and should act? Americans are a lot more reactive and scared. You can't compare them.

I loved the 2014(?) one and remember watching the gigan/tarantula ones when i was a kid. Im also not a weeb so would i like this?

I already knew about Cranston biting the bullet, so it didn't bug me as much. Aaron Taylor Johnson is decent in stuff like Kick-Ass, but he wasn't right for that role. Then again, I don't think any actor could've made that role work.

Mechagodzilla is awesome. The old ones in particular for the batshit insanity.

I think you need to go back to hanging around the reddit-lite autists on /m/

If the lack of Godzilla's screen time in 2014 didn't bug you, you'll be fine wih this once you make it past the initial hurdle of giggling at baby googly-eyed Baby Godzilla thrashing around.

God that is some top tier suit work.

You must sure love reddit the way you keep talking about it.

Thanks famalam ill check it out

I always wonder

If we shoot him at eyes with 50 cal, would he blink?

Seeing Ghidorah's head fly straight-up like a Jack in the Box always makes me smile.

this.

youtube.com/watch?v=q4pRNdflSC4

If they're japanese fans why are they in english HMMMM

>Japanese Fans
>Alma Emboscado

yeah, the first two Gamera movies are good but the iris one feels more like a live action anime than a kaiju movie

Shit, where do I find subbed torrents for Toho films?

Gamera 3 was Kaiju Kino. You must be a pleb.

>he doesn't like vs spacegodzilla

Bottom 3 in the franchise. Kill yourself.

Okay, where can I download all of the Godzilla movies in one fucking blow?
It'd be okay if they were on Netflix or some shit but there's fucking nothing
>have a good chunk of them on VHS but no VHS player

>implying it's not the best one along with pic related
They're obviously 2deep4u

There's a torrent on tpb but it might take awhile to download as no one is fucking seeding it. Also for some reason it includes Zilla. Guess they are an overboard completionist.

Also
>not having a VHS player
the fuck man. Hit up your local goodwill already.

I really want to see this but the closest showing is an hour away. Was still going to see it this Saturday but time got away from me (the only showing was at 1:30 PM). I am now leaving this thread because you guys don't know how to use spoiler tags.

Hell, I found one just lying in the alley behind my apartment complex, and it still works. People are just giving them away.

Man, the final operation to beat Godzilla really reminded me of that Evangelion ep where they take down the drill Angel

>Bureaucrats and young scientists come up with a logistically massive plan against the ticking clock of doom
>Goes down in urban area
>Vehicles and public transpiration from all over the country is mobilized
>Ad hoc weaponry and bombs deployed
>Giantass cranes
>Target responds with defensive purple cutter beams
>First attempt fails

If spoilers bother you that much, you should avoid the internet in general.

Godzilla smashes buildings, people run in terror, Godzilla is temporarily stopped until the sequel, roll credits.

There's a torrent on tbp that has just the 28 Toho ones, and nothing else. Apparently one of them is fucked up, but supposedly the others work fine.

They aren't tonally inconsistent. They work well in context. Just a few light hearted moments scattered throughout. Everything doesn't have to be gritty or grounded. And not everything gritty or grounded is good.

That scene when they first showed him on land totally caught me off guard. It creeps you out but kinda makes you laugh at the same time. Totally enjoyed his second land romp though. My god was that beautiful.

Toho should give them their own spinoff using absolutely no CGI, only practical effects designed to emulate techniques used in the 1970's-80's. The setting should be in the aforementioned generation post nuclear holocaust where fallout has stirred thousands of MUTOS from hibernation and survivors have to avoid getting stomped by them because they're fucking everywhere.

Try The Host, a Korean flick. Pretty good.

My whole theater laughed. I felt bad for Anno in that moment as It wasn't meant to be comedic.

>trying to talk down at the very least decent kaiju films
Go seppuku, airhead.

That may be your opinion, but it's still fucking wrong.

Cred Forumsmblr please go back where you came from

There was only one showing of this in my city, and it was today at noon. it was also labeled a "special event" and the theater wanted $15 instead of $10. Will wait for a torrent

operation Yashima is the only thing Anno ever did well

It's the only ok part in the original series and in the revuild.

Seriously how can he lives on when he does it a third time in a Godzilla movie

This movie was Godzilla adapted to be a 2 hour long episode of Evangelion minus the robots and teenage characters being shitty to each other, instead replaced by glorious Japanese bureaucracy

And it was good

I saw Zilla when it first came out and don't think I really cared for it all to much
Should be time to rewatch it

Spoiler alert: it's still shit

>feeling like you have to defend 14

Why? No actual sensible person out there says "Well, it's not a good Godzilla movie because of the human characters.", when the Gman himself has scenes that overrides that and commands more presence than arguably all of the other Godzilla movies out there. I'll give them that it was too dark, but anything else is nitpicking. He was a real fucking force of nature in that one, the only one who can stand up to Shin since he can take cold war era nukes to the face.

Haters just be weebs/anti-hollywod, man. 1998 is still ass.

Biologist best girl

>it's a Japanese complaining about USA and their own government monster movie
Oh wait it's Korean

Anno ripping off Korean. Shameless

She's so cute

That's the thing with horror. If you miss the target it becomes camp

I'm sure he's fine with it
You're not used to it so it catches you off guard and it's silly, goofy, cute, and funny looking
But then it starts mutating right in fucking front of you and it gets scarier and fucking scarier until they start dropping bombs on it and when one bounces off his head and his eye focuses to the bomb before it blows up
My god that was such a good fucking part in the movie
Caught me completely off guard and wowed the fuck out of me

>75391429

>And it was good
I firmly believe it's because Toho was curbing Anno.

I know he hates it. But director always needs to be contained

> Nine minutes of Godzilla (a sizable chunk of which is annoying teasing) redeems an hour and thirty minutes of a dull, wannabe Spielberg film and anyone who disagrees is a hater

Glad everyone is in agreement.

Would have been the best 15 bucks you've spent all year but I guess I understand

Same, I was upset desu

I legitimately had to go back and look to realize you weren't talking about Shin Godzilla.

Not to mention his design is fucking trash

I'm a little disappointed I didn't make time for it, I do like Godzilla. Maybe I'll rent it when it's available streaming (instead of stealing it)

> Shin Godzilla
> Remotely Spielbergian
> Teasing

Yeah, pretty much. Hopefully Legendary and Toho keep on trying to one up the other, this is the best time if Godzilla succeeds from both countries and they're good.

>Godzilla the hulking superhero who gingerly hides and steps between buildings with grace and protects humans
>real force of nature

I liked it but it was hard to get past that face man.

He was talking about 14 Godzilla.

Everyone talked about and still liked Bearzilla. It was received with nothing but positive comments. You can argue who's design is better but your head is up your own ass two times around if you think '14 Godzilla's design is trash.

>no teasing
>OH LOOK IT'S A TAIL
>no wait back to bureaucracy again
>THERE'S THE TAIL
>I WONDER WHAT IT COULD POSSIBLY BE
At least the payoff to 14's teasing wasn't Cookie Monsterzilla with pincushion teeth.

I like his face. He's a pretty girl.

>implying it wasn't fucking incredible
It gave me chills when he fucking forked his mouth open and started his flamethrower breath until it turned into a beam of pure fucking hatred
Fuck me I want to rewatch it already

[Annos internally]

No, that was legitimately cool. That was creepy as fuck.

But those eyes just looked weird man, and not in a creepy way. That part was great because his eyes cloud over with some mercury shit and you don't see how googly they look anymore.

His design is trash. Arms are too long and beefy. He looks like a quarterback monster not Godzilla.

>Gingerly
>2014 God "Gas all the Mutos with my breath"zilla
user-senpai, you are flanderizing nonexistant things.

And shin is great but it is anything but unnatural.

It's not on theathers in the country where i live. I have to wait for blu-ray to release.

Blu-ray release date when?

Nah old designs have to accommodate humans inside and new designs are allowed to be more animal like and that's the beauty of it

There's a lot of shit you can say about 2014 but his design is not one of them
Sure he's fuck-huge but that's fine if they keep making new monsters along with him
If they brought in King Ghidorah and Godzilla was as big as him instead of significantly smaller, than that'd be a problem but they haven't yet so it doesn't bother me

>I could have been home on 2ch right now

Maybe they're both good

>None of the other Godzilla movies carry much of the same weight
Not even The Legend Reborn?

This makes it seem like they just gave him that goofy giraffe neck to make him taller than the 2014 one.

>youtube.com/watch?v=ihd_uzrX2Bw
>that part in theaters

Truly, we are living in the best of times when these two Zillas exist.

Every actor and actress who has ever been in G-series holds a secret shame their contracts forbid them from expressing

>tfw Legendary is going to give Godzilla some coagulant defense bullshit and his body can now tank nukes instead of them phasing him a tiny bit

I just want a competition out of both companies.

Hell yeah, I agree.

Mostly agreed, but would recommend Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and Godzilla against Mechagodzilla

Notice the argument is rarely ever about the films themselves. It's "muh CGI Bearzilla looks so amazing, I'll just ignore the other 95+% of the actual film".

Actually many other composers also did great works.

Japanese really can come up with a few piece good music in 60 years of time I guess.

The roar was my favorite part of 2014 by far. Both of his major reveals I really enjoyed.

>That part in SF where the lightning flashes and you see his silhouette through the dust cloud

>muh depth
>implying it's good
I hate it when a movie pays homage to SOCIAL ISSUES AND THEMES they automatically becomes more important than other entertainments

They are still just entertainment. If you want messages why don't you watch a documentary or become a Peace Corp

PM, Bitchface, and Lispman were best characters.

Hell yeah he is. Hell yeah Shinzilla is also great. Wouldn't call that first part of your comment as an argument as it's a fact. Just keeping eye out for you, buddy

>My noodles are soggy...
>...I knew this job would be hard.

I felt kinda bad for the new PM

>That part in SF where the lightning flashes and you see his silhouette through the dust cloud

I agree

just saw the movie today, when this theme hit it was just so beautiful to see that well directed destruction. The music and the sound effects that came from those beams put me in awe.
I love the constant build up and catharsis we get from humans trying to keep up with Godzilla's evolution and destruction, and then this scene happened with the US jets joining and damn that was the best climax.

I laughed pretty hard at that

>Displaced the ocean
>Fluent in giving 100% death tail hits
>Fastest Zilla out there in combat (don't know about movement speed)
>intelligent enough to give Mortal Kombat type finishes so that the target has 0 chances of survival
>Can tank a nuke to the face

I can't wait for the Legendary sequel, I can't wait for the Shin sequel (no Anno, fuck), I can't wait for Pacific Rim 2.

The upcoming King Kong better not fuck up the great time the 2000s are having for Kaiju movies

Is Godzilla 1985 or The Return of Godzilla better? I grew up with the Raymond Burr version and always liked it, but never saw the Japanese version. I guess a similar question is whether Gojira or Godzilla King of the Monsters is better. I appreciate both sides of the subs vs dubs argument, but are they really different movies? The main theme remains, right?

Theater laughed at this. For real.

Every shot they made without the puppet was a strategic mistake.

He inherited a mess, though he handled it well. I liked him.

This is a best of both world situations. We are getting 2 (hopefully) great Godzilla series at the same time as well as Pacific Rim and King Kong. 2010's have been good to us so far.

It's a chicken

Remember in anaconda when the snake killed Owen Wilson? I bet you forgot he was even in that movie.

>1998
>Consider it

>2014
>Not recommended

Are you fucking kidding me with this shit right now?

The puppet wasn't used.

G85 and RoG are basically the same. The plot with the Russian launching the nuke is changed in the Japanese version to him trying to cancel the launch. In my opinion, Gojira is better, although Godzilla KotM is still good. KotM takes away some of the focus of Godzilla being a walking metaphor for the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Raymond Burr's scenes were well done. All in all, watch both.

There's one called Monster Kaiju Pack that has most of them and others like Diamajin trilogy and Gorgo. And a pretty good copy of Latitude Zero. It's mixed between dubs and subtitles if you're picky but most have both to choose from.

Hulu had a bunch too, but i haven't looked there for awhile.

What the fuck are you even trying to say you idiot?
One look at Shin and you're gonna tell me he looks 'natural'? Especially compared to Burgerzilla trying to be passed off like something that could actually exist because muh realism is all Americans are good at?

>go into the movie blind
>tfw the first version of this theme plays and you hear the first six drumbeats

youtube.com/watch?v=74fxNHPBnv8

Where's that 'pleb and proud' picture when I need it?

>Mfw the fucked up one is vs the sea monster

My bad, natural, not unnatural

You fucking faggot weeb

I'm torrenting it right now since I've seen any of them and I swear to fucking god I can't find a good torrent of that movie ANYWHERE.

Look in the mirror and take a photo. You are out of your godamned, tasteless, leddit mind if you had no fun with Cloverfield, any of the current Godzillas and Pacific Rim.

Does Peter Jackson's Kong count? I'm guessing no.

I lost my shit and knew immediately this would be one of my favorite movies of all time

Bluray when

There's about 10 of them on Hulu, if you have that. I forget which company put it out, but there's a boxset of 8 Godzilla movies (9 if you count the American and Japanese versions of Godzilla '54 as two different movies) available for about $25. Other than that, FYE is a good source. They have about 15 different movies available, and they even have some of Toho's other monster movies, such as Rodan and War of the Gargantuas. Happy hunting!

>Obama and half of his admin are killed by terrorists
>secretary of Agriculture is sworn in

Pretty sure you're talking about this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=NW18XAkV4cY

Or something similar. No guitar was on the first one. It was like when Snake joined Brawl when I heard it, completely out of left field for a serious movie. Like putting the Jurassic Park theme in Star Wars because they have the same composer.

>Minister of Defense lady didn't show her cleavage

Anno I am disappointed

How many capeshit flicks you see this year kiddo? Just turned your brain off lmao?

Don't worry, I think it was good. It does suck when they don't start right away, but just let em sit. I've got one that is only 3.6% away from finishing and it has been for almost a month... But it got this far so I'm still holding out hope. Plus it makes me look like less of a leech than I really am.. which is nice.

It did look crazy retarded, but I have to admit, it actually made it sort of creepy. The same way the Titans in AOT are creepy

He probably considered. But it wouldn't have made it through Toho executives.

youtube.com/watch?v=QTFux8O6wS0
What do ou think? Not mine btw

1 and you really should turn off your brain for any capeshit and Kaiju movies. No thinking at all, and for the latter just the glory of big organisms/robots. Utter joy. Other movies that require some thinking are also good.

Goddang, this thread makes me want USAzilla 2/Shinzilla 2 now.

>implying Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 isn't one of the worst in the entire franchise.

he even used some of the music FFS.

>Goddang, this thread makes me want USAzilla 2/Shinzilla 2 now.

I really want Shin 2 simply because I found Shin slightly anti climatic.

It might be, but I love mechagodzilla's theme. It's so cold and emotionless but it conveys the brutal nature of it as a machine.
youtube.com/watch?v=DfwLQIE3l4s
youtube.com/watch?v=n60CHmu3fvU

youtube.com/watch?v=_u0DJFWXVpg
I prefer this Mechagodzilla theme.

I think people are praising Anno too much and giving Toho too little credit

Can you imagine if Anno has his way and goes full Eva service on this