What are some genuinely good anime films Cred Forums?

What are some genuinely good anime films Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

animu-mango.wikia.com/wiki/Cred
youtube.com/watch?v=bCRnNKwCjuU&list=PLKV04qtg6MQH1VN6a2aFjWF4BUdxWcKdH&index=4
youtube.com/watch?v=0kwpQG7k2zU
youtu.be/byYxWKdKrNU
youtu.be/-IcFDwygw-o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

vampire hunter D bloodlust

toy story

Quite literally none. Even the so-called "great" series do not so much as graze the aesthetic and philosophical heights of cinema and literature. It's a trash genre made for East Asian teenagers and white manchildren with short attention spans, don't waste your time anyone still wondering.

Frozen

animu-mango.wikia.com/wiki/Cred Forums_Wiki
before you cry about the first link, the taste in movies is exactly the same fedoracore trash most retards itt will post

That and Ghibli films. Paprika is ok.

Wicked City is underappreciated.

Perfect Blue is better than Hitchcock

A limited selection of Ghibli and the Animatrix and maybe Afro Samurai, everything else gives me that dirty weeaboo feeling. Fuck Paprika, the animation isnt good enough

Pt1?

>childish trash is better than the scooby doo of his time
I can't stop laughing

50cm per second is god tier animation art but the story is a bit shit

I'm a huge fan of Wicked City.

>scooby doo
>ever good

Going to see Your Name next week.
Should be good.

End of Evangelion is pure kino.

>inb4 hurr it has meaningless religious symbolism, so EVERYTHING is devoid of meaning

I liked Cencoroll

Oh sorry, Cred Forums
I wasn't trying to imply that Hitchcock was good with that post

Tenshi no Tamago
Tekkonkinkreet
Mind Game

>aped actual kino and made it accessible trash for teenagers that refuse to get taste
>>pure kino
LOL

Seriously FUCKING LOL

>Cred Forums

What's some good fappable cartoons like Tangled and Frozen? I've blown more loads to those two than anything else.

Where do you think you are?

Cred Forums, /vg/, /vr/
All the same cultural terrorist shit, my newfrog

wolf children

>Cred Forums, /vg/, /vr/

I'm an absolute pleb, what is the bottom right shot from? I feel like its on the tip of my tongue

Yeah your league of rword general dude

Akira

pleb films =/= bad films

Akira is utter fucking shit. Probably the worst anime movie I've seen.

Beautiful animation doesn't make a movie good if that's literally the only thing it has to offer.

The Eva screencaps look more aesthetic in all those examples though

whatever makes you happy, pal

But it's called "Anime" for a reason, user. It's all about animation, who gives a fuck about the plot?

Yeah, they have bright colors so that makes the cinematography much better.

But it's called "television" for a reason, user. It's all about visuals, who gives a fuck about the plot?

What I say is true :^)

Dude don't be a contrarian to be cool akira is a great movie visually, aurally, and plot wise

Exactly

Plot is a KinĂ³ thing

Then take it to

>internet detective
Fuck off.

Literally nothing contrarian in realizing that Akira is shit and the plot is utter trash.

No. You take these shitty threads to Cred Forums. We talk about actresses and bane on this board. Fuck off, cancer

what a winner

role model for success

shit list my man

'The boy and the beast' is pretty good.It's by the same director as 'The girl that lept through time'.I've been meaning to watch 'the girl..' i haven't seen it since high school anime club /cringe

>not securing the future Cred Forums race from invaders
Go spam another bane thread and pretend you're "totally Cred Forums bane sheev for you"

not even close to my favorite genre but I liked sword of the stranger a lot.

>>>reddit

Saw it a month ago. It has cool animation and drawings, that's true, but the story has a lot of plot holes.
Also if you like SF you'll be disappointed.

Oh my man, you have shit taste.

My niggas.

kys

>he's over the age of 13 and still watches cartoons

The teen from a flyover state has spoken lads!

Some may call it pretentious, but even if that was true the art and music would still make it worth a watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=bCRnNKwCjuU&list=PLKV04qtg6MQH1VN6a2aFjWF4BUdxWcKdH&index=4

>he's over the age of 15 and still post on a mongolyan forum of chinese drawings

FUCK YES

Stalker by Tarkovsky

uhhh did this retard just admit he was underage? that explains his attraction to games like league LOL

Where part 1?

what a sad life you have, m8

Well I'll be damned thanks buddy! Havent watched it in 5 or 6 years wow.

literally " be bored to death for 60 hours so some stranger on the interweb can say you are not pleb, for dumb people who want to be special"-the list.
These movies have no value, you will not be an enlightened person if you endure them, topics and dillemmas these movies dwelve upon dont work today". You will literally feel better if you watch 30 Adam Sandler flix.

It's always nice to see kids make assumptions of movies they've never heard of

>These movies have no value
>soy cuba literally on the second line

>Essential Contrariancore
How long did it take you to put this list together to feel better about yourself?

Naruto

>trying this hard to fit in
lol ok kid who spazz out on people elsewhere

I love how this list always triggers people. Most these movies are just common flicks that they used the foreign title/poster of to make it look more obscure.

Watched both these films this week. Even if it was a copy of shots they have comply different tones and weight to them. Breathless felt awkward and felt it was just making a commentary on death scenes in movies. But Eva felt unconformable and really emotional.

look, you do know there are many more " tiers" than those interweb "patrican" lists, you call me kid yet you dont know shit about ex-Yugoslav pre and post war kino(literal kino, if you expirienced anything real in your life, not just parasiteing other people expirinces thru books,games or movies,you WILL cry or it will make you sit in silence, thinking, not yawing ).
Then all known Stalker , but no one talks about Trudno bit Bogom,Kolja, Breza,House for hanging, Wounds, Walter brani Sarajevo, even your favorite Mads has couple of "kino's" you probably never heard of, check viking "kino" in last 25 years.

You want obscure to feel special in front of your anonymous internet friends,
you cant handle it, stick to your French & Nipp flixs from sixties.

Do you even count the scenes unconciosly, do you reflect at every scene, aware of angle of camera(and reason why) in real time?

Do you even know how to watch the movie?

Damn I haven't seen a single one of these

New?

Why is this off-topic garbage thread still up?

the movie doesn't do the plot justice but it's still good

I really liked the concept of that movie, but I thought the execution was bad. But it's nice to know other people know that Oshii did things outside of Ghost in the Shell.

I thought it was way too slow and silent at first, but I rewatched it a while later and found I really liked it then.

Isn't Cred Forums for anime?
Go masturbate to your littler girl anime #516

this
weebs fuck off

any more like angels egg? anime of film?

All the Satoshi Kon ones.

Friendly remind for people who came directly from reddit, anime content is welcome on all boards.

Fun history fact for new people, this website was invented to discuss anime!

>It's a trash genre
>anime is a genre
You fucking pseudo-elitist retard. Go stick another of your French 3 hour black and white movies on and pretend to enjoy it

>anime content is welcome on all boards
Even the board that makes you insecure about your "entry level" taste in cartoons doesn't agree with this

lol ok kid

> anything John waters
They fell for the meme, while making a meme

Is Spirited Away too mainstream for Cred Forums to be good?

You are on a website where racism and harassment are the norm, and you are going to complain about where anime is posted? Good luck with that

This. Anime is the shittiest form of "animation", or even "cinema" in general. True cinema regards the fantasiques xolitia of the highest aesthetic.

>True cinema regards the fantasiques xolitia of the highest aesthetic.
This is quite possibly the most pretentious sentence I have ever read.

Lmao this guy is like anime version of Barneyfag, everytime someone makes anime thread on Cred Forums this faggot instantly shits it up with his pretentious bullshit and stale copypasta

What's with this sudden influx of normalfags and snobs on Cred Forums who think they are too cool for anime and games? Do you know where you are?

> you are going to complain about where anime is posted? Good luck with that

stop being butthurt and fuck off back to Cred Forums.

>Do you know where you are?
White Supremacy Forum

Cred Forums - a board made well after Cred Forums went "mainstream" and for stuff that isn't chinese cartoons

do you?

Cory in the House

Cred Forums has always, always, had its share of contrarian faggots who play more-enlightened-than-thou as if anyone spending their Sunday afternoon on Cred Forums would actually have a life or taste.

It's best to just ignore them. They're just shitposting. Don't feed the trolls, especially when the best they've got is a softball like "anime is for kids".

TGWLTT is great
Summer Wars is great
Spirited Away is GOAT

Please cite which global rule or board rule states that this board is "for stuff that isn't chinese cartoons".

Because it sounds to me like you're one of those people who makes up rules for themselves and then gets pissed when other people don't follow them.

Western animation is routinely posted here. Foreign TV and film is routinely posted here. But foreign animated TV and film is suddenly off-limits? Yes, please tell me where that rule is posted.

Ok, ill bite.
As long as you know i enjoyed Anime when i was younger so I do know an thing or two about it,if not total expert.
Akira,gits,gotf,monoke,eoe,ninja scrools, battle angel alita,samurai x,papika,serial experiments lain,and more and more, last anime i watched was Samurai Champloo(that was some ~10-15 years ago?!), i liked it, even shoehorned cuteness and hiphop(i personay dont value much but show was ok-ish so i gave it an pass, also fighting scenes,probably best in bussiness..

From anime i mentioned , you can probably see i was not "fake patrician", if i liked it , i watched it, I didnt care if comunity cnsidered it shitty or "fake".
But as you grow up, you get responsibilities and shit but i would ike to watch me something new. It should be an movie(i just cant give enough time to watch #seasons), i wouldnt mind hard sf(no mecha,please,never did liked those, i did respect them), something "matureish" yet not boring(i have enough serious existential crap IRL),maybe something similar to The Expanse(tv show), i think im too old for bushido crap(samurai's,ninjas etc),also no loli or sex confused crap, maybe an good thriller,horror( with an sf twist or in past,or without) or even drama if its not too boring or tearjerking.
So, im out of comission for 15 years, please ,list me something that would bring me up to speed.

>Don't feed the trolls, especially when the best they've got is a softball like "anime is for kids".
It is though

>normalfags

Anime and games are normal as fuck my man.

>tfw two inteligence for Anime

Nice blog weeb

user

>too intelligent for flicks
>too dumb for kino

see
as for series, most anime are like 12 or 24 episodes, and 20 minutes per episode. Split a series across a week and really, you can't make time for that?

What's the difference between plebs and normal people?

you should watch some movies

>Western animation is routinely posted here.
It's not
>Foreign TV and film is routinely posted here.
Ok
>But foreign animated TV and film is suddenly off-limits?
There is a fucking board for at : Cred Forums
Stop making shitty excuses and fuck off back to Cred Forums or Cred Forums or wherever you're coming from

What about films and movies?

Let me explain to you about anime

There are several tiers of anime fan. WOAH TOTALLY DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH DIFF OPINIONS MIND BLOWN

You have the casual Cred Forums anime watcher, who only watch what I term 'the newfag pool' and think they are the greatest anime ever, then call everything else shit. This group generally watches less than 15 series.

You have the casual anime forum watcher who watches a large range of absolute garbage, including the newfag pool and thinks it's all the greatest shit ever. This group generally watches less than 50 series

Finally, you have the actual anime fan. They watch a wide range of series and genres and generally enjoy the medium while understanding its flaws. They are generally unimpressed after the 100 series point regarding the newfag pool, as they have found better.

For reference, the newfag pool is generally as follows (series do get switched out as the old favorites get forgotten): NGE, Berserk, JoJo, SAO, Attack on Titan, any Kon movie, any GitS series or movie, any edgy 80s/90s gore OVA, Gundam SEED, Kenshin, FMA, Geass, Angel's Egg, Stein's Gate, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Planetes, TTGL, Kill la Kill, Death Note, Ping Pong

Basically anything Cred Forums likes, because Cred Forums has AWFUL taste in anime. A W F U L

I agree
One of the most boring movies I ever watched
Read the manga instead

Vampire Hunter D (and to some extent Ninja Scroll) looks similiar but is a completely different film. Still good though. I'd say Stalker resembles Angels egg a lot even though its not anime.

Have you even looked through the thread?

the 'wisdom' of an undergrad film student.

just adorable

This is the pinnacle of anime movies for me.

>It's not
It comes up.

>no just fuck off
Ah, so you are I take it in agreement with me that "anime must not be posted on Cred Forums" is not, in fact, in any of the global or board-specific rules.

Vampire Hunter D
Cowboy Bebop (the series is better)
D'arby the Gambler and Dio's World OVA
Legend of Galactic Heroes films
Perfect Blue
Cory in the House
Akira
Ninja Scroll
Angel's Egg
Most Miyazaki
Tokyo Godfathers
Ghost in the Shell

Honorable mention because I shill this movie every chance I get: Heavy Metal

it doesn't touch akira

>Stop making shitty excuses and fuck off back to Cred Forums or Cred Forums or wherever you're coming from
He can't because he is a professional victim. He'll bring up /lit/ or another board to pretend hes from there and how accepting they are of his favorite garbage soon (probably not now since this post but still)

Genius Party (and Beyond)
Memories
Tekkonkinkreet
Tokyo Godfathers
Mind Game
Redline
Ninja Scroll
Ringing Bell

Wow what a fresh opinion
Jesus christ how boring are you?

I liked Princess Mononoke a lot.

It was a long time ago but when I watched Akira I think my impression was that it felt like watching a movie halfway. I had no idea what was going on.

Because the rise of Cred Forumsedditors coming over to Cred Forums as a result of Bane memes has led to a shift in taste on Cred Forums

99% of the anime threads here are made by Cred Forumsedditors who only watch LE EPIC MANIME shonen trash and are too scared to post on Cred Forums because no one wants to talk about the same 5 old classic anime that only entry level newfaggots know about. Then they cry about Cred Forums having shit taste and proceed to buy their next avengers movie ticket.

Cred Forums has actually done a fantastic job at keeping out you Cred Forumseddit scum and so all you faggots come crying here because no one wanted to accommodate your newfaggotry.

Also you all treat Cred Forums as a place to ask for recommendations when was made to deal with garbage threads like these that aren't actually discussing anything. This thread should be deleted but since Cred Forums mods are garbage it won't be.

Dont like it? Go back to your board manchild.

It's the most impressively animated film of all time on a technical level, it hasn't been surpassed to this day.

>tfw used to be a huge weeb but after getting into cinema I realised that even above average movies are better than so called anime "masterpieces" and most average anime is utter cringeworthy shit

Trust me don't waste your time, the amount of really good anime can be counted on two hands

I do agree that this thread should technically be on Cred Forums, but its still got more movie discussion going on then in 95% of Cred Forums threads so take it and be happy

that's because you're a retard. shut up. shut the fuck up you fucking retard. you stupid fucking retard.

What the top two films on the left?

>For reference, the newfag pool is generally as follows (series do get switched out as the old favorites get forgotten): NGE, Berserk, JoJo, SAO, Attack on Titan, any Kon movie, any GitS series or movie, any edgy 80s/90s gore OVA, Gundam SEED, Kenshin, FMA, Geass, Angel's Egg, Stein's Gate, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Planetes, TTGL, Kill la Kill, Death Note, Ping Pong
There really are some great anime in there. It's not really fair to say they're shit just because they're popular. At least some of those are popular precisely because they're great, they end up being an entry-level gateway drug.

But then, a lot of popular shit is pretty bad, too. Gundam SEED is like the worst gundam series, I cannot imagine how it's popular at all. Even Gundam 00 is better. Even Gundam Wing is better. And that's before you get into the truly worthwhile ones like War in the Pocket and The 08th MS Team.

It's cringe because you're a brainlet that can't empathize with the artistic expressions of entirely alien cultures.

>LE EPIC MANIME shonen trash
lmao at your gay life, faggot!

Absolutely the best Ghibli film alongside Spirited Away

I may be pleb, but the anime movies I've seen are as an average better directed than the films I've seen. I mean, it's easier to get your vision across as an animation director. In movies there's always actors who might do their own thing.
Most of the anime movies I've seen were at least decent.
I don't think I've seen better direction than in some Kon, Oshii movies. Though, I'm not a huge movie buff. Even the series' are top notch.
I don't know what's with all the prejudice against animation. Look at the Oscars for animated movies. They're the most embarassing shit ever. It's so clear that they view animation as a thing for kids and bored parents. When we've had things like Mind Game, it makes you just cringe that bad to decent american animation routinely wins awards.

I've watched a ton of anime and only really liked one (Baccano)

>set during Prohibition
>immortal gangsters and wizards
>avoids shitty anime tropes
>huge cast, all of them stand out from each other and are interesting
>quite funny at times
>great animation
>god tier soundtrack

And weebshits get mad because the English dub is far superior to the Japanese voice acting.

>Only make threads I like and I want to post in!
If you want quality threads on Cred Forums go fucking make some, faggot.
>b-b-b-but nobody posts in my quality threads
Maybe because they're not quality.
>n-no they're quality for people like me but the board is under invasion by-
Pic related and fuck off. Talk to a therapist about that shit.

Post more Stef pls pls pls

list you're favorites

Lmao you are fucking autistic

is this a new copypasta?
seems like something a made up autistic person would say

>huge cast, all of them stand out from each other and are interesting

you don't believe that do you?

funniest part is that all the garbage those Cred Forums drones like is all rec'd by Cred Forums too the problem is that Cred Forums doesn't know how to post

stop triggering me

Wew lad you really are obsessed

>all this backlash against an Cred Forums thread
>while endless Cred Forumsshit threads are posted here with hardly any opposition
fucking neck yourselves

atleast the Cred Forums threads are vaguely related to films or television. anime threads are straight up anime discussions that belong in Cred Forums.

>atleast the Cred Forums threads are vaguely related to films or television

>atleast the Cred Forums threads are vaguely related to films or television
Ahahaha

Why do people like you cry about cute gurls doing cute thing animus then?

If we get the boys from Cred Forums to post their loli otaku shit will you cry to the mods like the actual normalfags you are?

"vaguely" being the key word here

less than 1% of a thread being Cred Forums-related is not "vaguely"

I did watch maybe all of those, Miazaky &Gibli was kinda hot shit in my time, ~1996-2004.
Yea, i cant watch 12x20, i would watch them in one sitting(if i would find them interesting, i would say:"fuck all,responsibilities!!" and I just cant risk that( no one guarantees you get smarter with age, you just notice trouble much sooner so you usualy dont fall into one).

From that list posted in this thread im downloading A letter to Momo & Wolf Brigade(funny, wolf brigade was made for "my gen" but i kinda missed it).
Also, did watch Perfect Blue and honestly , iits kinda best example of why sometimes anime dont work for "mature" audience, i know myself when I was ~18 and in that age I would find PB :"omg,some crazy shit,wooow." but when you hit 30 and see somethingmlike rhat , you cant find it as anythingnelse but laughable(imagine PB as hollywood movie, it would ve considered as parody of some triller with RT 2.1/10 score(no one cares avout rt or imdb score but still).
Also, Neon Genesis, praised as some deep,deep story, well, maybe, id you are fundamentalmchristian and believe in that crap.
I personally consider GiTS(1&2) to be best anime ever made(when you take ALL things into consideration), most beliveable future&gadgets, it raises some highly phylosophical questioms (plagiarised but still looked from different angle)but does not go overboard with it(as eva does),music,design &animation are among best if not best.

>(imagine PB as hollywood movie

It's called Black Swan senpai

>if i would find them interesting, i would say:"fuck all,responsibilities!!"
And here friends we have exhibit A in the argument that age does not make you an adult.

Umaru is Cred Forums meme trash though

Thunderbolt Fantasy or Avatar

Funny how you'll be the first one to cry about what you consider "Cred Forums" yet gleefully post in a twitter screencap thread or something like

Because Cred Forums used to be a decent board but it's now flooded with waifufag and generalfag circlejerks

And now they come here to spread the infection to us.

And why is that our problem? You do know that this board (save for the generals) was the same before these normalfags lied on /q/, right?

You'd still be on Cred Forums, Cred Forums /m/ or whatever other board if it wasn't for them.

wolf childrens

>And now they come here to spread the infection to us.
see
the idea that the board is under some kind of attack or invasion when it likes something you don't is just an expression of narcissism.

no, you are literally describing yourself subconciously about how YOU felt when you watched 10 shows, then 25 then 50 then 100.

I watched all episodes of Kodocha(kodomo no omocha) when i was waaay tooo old for that shit, also did watch most of stuff you list but also did watch some obscure stuff from sixties and seventies(they were kinda sitcoms & people in helmets and suits fighting some nuclear menace that came from sea).

There is no "real" anime fan, its not someones best kept secret quality program just for you, if you watched shitty anime despite being aware they are shit, just makes you kinda stupid prick. Anime is literaly showelware of noninteractive watcheables.

You can fell deep into this "subculture" but biggest fans usualy end up (or start up)as biggest loosers IRL.
There are no tiers , no where, not in movies, games,books,anime, whatever..
Different people take what they need at the moment they need it the most, at the end youll end up without your personal memories,friends and completely unable to fit in average society.

Metropolis is nice.

>Memories
>Redline
finally someone said it. You're cheating yourself if you've never seen either, especially Redline. Orgasmic.

I'm watching the Gundam series starting with the original series and was planning on working my way chronologically through any series worth watching but have heard a lot of mixed things about SEED. Should I just skip it?

I guess here user considers normies as some kind of middle class, while plebs is only for entirely degenerated individuals.

Cred Forums rec chart made by Cred Forums back in the day.

Yes.

Kon
Miyazaki
Takahata
Otomo

Watch it again, faggot.

V:10
Thanks YIFY

I don't think any anime would make it to kino tier but there are some decent stuff.
Even Cowboy Bepop (atrocious name, I was skeptical) is watchable in a "le turn your brain off" manner. I liked Perfect Blue but as some user posted ITT it's essentially Sunset Boulevard: anime boogaloo.
Miyazakis are alright but there is some nostalgia factor for me.

Overall, anime was a mistake.

youtube.com/watch?v=0kwpQG7k2zU

Origin: Spirits of the past was pretty good
From what I remember there's a lot of futuristic interactions and melding of plants with humans

Literally all of Satoshi Kon's movies

Mind Game

Akira

Redline

The Wolf Children

Cowboy Bepop looks and sounds good but story and character wise its a trainwreck

Didn't like Perfect Blue. I know a lot of people thinks its one of Kon's best but I think it's his worst.

Tokyo Godfathers is the true konkino.

tbqh i think its such a good christmas movie that i write to the state tv-channel every year and ask them to air view this

people need to know goddarnit

>I've watched a ton of anime
How many?

nah,brah
Also, black swan sucks its own cock(artisticaly), muh psihosys

>2012

>John Waters

Opinion Disregarded

So simplicity is shit? It's a virtually universally relatable and understandable story. Separation, romance, maturation.

it does make you an adult but it doesnt make you 100% responsible,you just have to answer for your fuckups, i did mention that .
If anything, you actually need some form of release be it sex,drugs,violence,some bullshit hobby(you),food,sports to endure being "adult" etc...

As long as some tweaker whore is not defecating on you because you have to lay off 20 people tomorrow(because some young CEO wants to to buy 6th car he will never drive+he will get nice bonus and everyone will hate you butbyou cant hit him in the face because 3 kids and boring wife, also, if you come to this level , you should consider yourself lucky, at least you are on the nice side of whip), you are still among normal.

When you can tell just by the covers that the movie is boring as fuck.

>Scooby Doo Zombie Island
>not one of the best animation movies ever made

I really like Arrietty

What is a good anime with sex/nudity? No harem shit either.

>animefags have to have brightly colored googly eyes 12 year olds on the cover to consider a movie worth watching

'xolitia' isn't even a fucking word.

did you just run your post through a post-modernist generator?

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time? I wish she Leapt Through A Meat Grinder.

End of Evangelion is probably the only one I would consider and absolute masterpiece and one that would even rival most great live-action classics.

Second is Ghibli films.

Aside from a handful of exceptions then it's a steep roll downhill in terms of quality.

Is Stranger Things and Westworld pretty to look at least?

I watch all shows in mass batches.

I save the week by week viewing for anime.

Yes, and there's nothing wrong with that.

do I have to watch all the lead up to the end?

cause i cant be arsed watching a cliche robot anime for a bunch of episodes

Stranger things is great in its first half but falls apart in the second half.

WestWorld has excellent visuals, but I fear it's lust going to become Lost 2.0 in terms of characterization and plot.

Not the other guy but I'd say you have to. The second half of the show is more enjoyable than the first 13 episodes.

EoE is a conclusion to NGE, so there's no real point in watching it if you haven't seen the show

But if you really wanted to you could watch it solely for it's cinematography, music, and animation and you'd still enjoy it

Who wins Cred Forums?

i've heard the wolf brigade is good, haven't watched it personally though

You pretty much do have to watch the entire show to understand even remotely what the fuck is going on and even then you still may not understand what the fuck is even remotely going on.

But yeah, watching the show is a requirement or else you won't feel emotionally invested at anything that's going on at least. Skip the Rebuild movies.

As for the series itself, it's quite a ride. Starts off as simple generic anime fare with a slow start- but with moments where you can tell that something's seriously "off" about this series. Then further on it goes full anime fanservice bullshit to trick the (otaku) audience into viewing it further. Then midway through shit really hits the fan and it goes into some crazy territory.

Just keep in mind that the series was made on a budget and the studio was nearly bankrupt at the time, which explains reused footage or long, drawn out scenes. This becomes especially apparent in the last two episodes (just keep in mind those two episodes aren't the actual ending, the series was such a huge success it saved the studio and they went on to create EoE, the true ending for it.)

But the characterization of the characters is pretty great and there's some good action/kino shots.

TLDR: give it a go, you'll either love it or hate but in the end you'll have to go to a forum or Cred Forums to give a rundown of what the fuck you just watched.

Fuck you the last two episodes are canon too

moe is anime kino
>tfw finally trascended to appreciate the moe

Not the girl who leapt through time.

It's a nice movie, mostly for the visuals.

YOU FILTHY MOTHHERFUCKERS,
this is low even for Cred Forumstard standard.
So, im reading the thread,kinda interested, didnt watch anima for over 15 years but i said,let me reminesce a little.
So, i put letter to momo, wolf children and wolf brigade to download.
Anyways, i watched letter,kinda ok, for 12yo girls and pedos but colors are nice and animation is ok,if somewhat cheap on frames( at least I know why some people dont mind 30 fps in rheir games,but i digress), so i put wolf brigade, looks interesting, i just cant find good subtitles so ill leave it for later, im left with angel egg and wolf children.
So i put wolf children, ok, she looks kinda retarded, i get its an style ,flowers looks beautiful and some animation urban settings are incredible, i see "the hero"(what every teen kid thinks oozes coolness, silent&loner type,one hand in pocket and hair to blow myy brains out, but its anime night after 15 years and i want to see whats evolved while i was busy being grownup). So. Fucker gets her to lonely place and wants to show her something, i believed hes gonna turn to wolf or some werewolf monster, but fucker put on an FURRY costume!!! He even told her not to peek because he couldnt put on the fucking costume fast enough.fuck,im pissed, ihave even dl Yify 4K versions(around 480p in normal people'eyes)
Fuck.you.anime> i likdd anime (as kid)but rhis shit is truly for children, no two ways about it, maybe one step above mlp.
From standpoint of an grown person,gits,mononoke and maybe fireflies,rest teenstown.

>shitty bait faux parallelism
as expected of Cred Forums

It's kind of ironic that you denounce anime as being for children while typing like a child.

>good
>anime
It's like asking recommend me some good B movies.

go, be an God, Alanis,imtipeing from bed on 7"tablet

It is, just don't expect robot nazis shooting people because that's just a small part.

There are plenty of good B movies. Are you retarded?

>tfw all my brother did during his heroin years was watch Evangelion on repeat.

>tfw finally trascended to appreciate the moe

One of my all time favorites. It's extremely overlooked for being slow, ponderous and overreliant on symbolism in a field where most anime take the opposite approach. Oshii and Kenji Kawai are two of my favorite industry veterans.

The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic and you can even hear what sounds like a sample of the Ghost in the Shell chant in it because Kawai likes to stick to the same sounds and use them in different ways

youtu.be/byYxWKdKrNU

Happy Tree Friends.

I recommend the Gunsmith Cats OVA, the author of the manga is a /k/ and /o/ freak and while there isn't as much gun and car porn in the OVA it does a good job of capturing the antics of the main cast.

My Beautiful Girl Marie and that post-bomb Hiroshima one. Something leaves?

SEED's not unwatchable, it's just a poor man's 0079 with more pop songs. Stay away from Destiny though.

Also recommending Now and Then, Here and There which is an incredibly depressing show about a boy who is teleported to a dried-up post apocalyptic future world complete with child soldiers, massacres and other types of cruelty

For movies, Grave of the Fireflies is similar in tone.

why are you copying me dumb vapeposter

Fantasia

>buying anime
why are girls so dumb

Grave of the fireflies is much more serious and dedicated to sending an emotional message. NaTHaT plays it out first like a typical corny anime in that the main character is a young boy with a chip on his shoulder who will succeed by any means, but is then subjected to abject cruelty in a new soul-crushing environment. The setting feels like it came right out of an old western scifi novel

I'm positive someone has mentioned this in the thread already, but the Tatami Galaxy is a really well done interpretation of the Groundhog Day concept with a little twist. The protagonist can't decide what to do with his "golden" college years and each episode or two resets the timeline to the beginning. A really really good show that is colorful and stylish but also gets the neurons firing as you can watch how his relationship develops with the main cast depending upon his choices and path.

Also has one of the most hypnotizing EDs ive ever seen: youtu.be/-IcFDwygw-o

If anyone wants more recommendations with short explanations then throw some (You)s my way

If you don't like Project A-Ko, you legally are considered to hate fun.

wow like how this is executed. the doll costumes are top notch

why does she need glasses if she's deaf
also rin is best girl

i marathonned eva at the start of the year with some friends, one of them went off the deep end and is now a benzo chugging tranny freak and he wants to fuck kaworu so i kinda feel bad about it but lol

>why does she need glasses if she's deaf

Are people still treating Evangelion as anything more than useless existentialism? Get with the times gramps. Existentialism is for old deluded people and Eva suffers a lot for being preachy about stupid shit.

> you don't have to feel hopeless and weak, you can overcome your shitty views and life
> "being preachy about stupid shit"

?

Ghibli ratings coming through

>God tier
Grave of the Fireflies
Spirited Away
Only Yesterday
Princess Kaguya

>Great tier
My Neighbour Totoro
Porco Rosso
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke

>Good tier
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
The Wind Rises

>Meh tier
Kiki's Delivery Service
Ponyo

REKT

hard to disagree desu, would put a good tier (nausicaa or wind probably) higher and howl lower to meh, kiki prob good

Have you considered suicide?

est coming of age story ever told, maybe even better than Catcher in the Rye.

Prove me wrong.

thanks to whoever recommended bobby's in deep a few months ago

>Kiki's Delivery Service

Take that back right the fuck now you filthy fucking tasteless nigger

Kiki is boring and directionless man.

>Annoying talking cat
>Kiki loses her magic powers for no fucking reason at all
>Weak supporting cast
>Ending was abrupt and unsatisfying

They know that being stupid will endear other people's sympathies toward them.

>What are some genuinely good anime films Cred Forums?
Pretty much everything that Mamoru Oshii ever touched.

Akira and any Miyazaki movie.

That's about it

t. I only watch what normie's think is good and I haven't seen anything by Satoshi Kon or Isao Takahata.

t. Hipster

You expect me to know every single obscure foreign cartoon movies?

>no reason
metaphor for growing up, please tell me you didn't watching original american dub

See You're just as big of a normie as that child of Cred Forums, plebeian

Paranoia Agent and in fact, all of Kon are probably the only anime films normies can watch without being creeped out by its tropes

I tried showing a normie friend FLCL to see if it was entry level enough and he couldn't even make it past episode 3

FLCL is the greatest coming of age ever told, too bad he didn't get it.

Except you're posting in a thread specifically about these foreign cartoon movies. If your not all that familiar with the genre, why proclaim there are no good works outside two of the most obvious?

are your normie friends all white?

This is an important fucking movie for being so fucking blunt on mankind's need for conflict.

I'm I do think that is an important theme in the movie but even more so it seems to be critical of the entertainment industry itself. It can be argued both ways because in the movie's universe conflict and entertainment become analogous over time. The protagonists are trapped in this sort of neverending nightmare scenario and the "survivors" become deeply nihilistic and suicidal. In this way Oshii is remarking that it would be better to let the entertainers simply die than let them run themselves ragged trying to satisfy a dull, unappreciative audience that doesn't care who you are or what you've sacrificed.

Hopefully you'll see this

I've enjoyed nge, utena, lotgh, baccano watched fotns recently and enjoyed it as well

Dropped steins gate, hunterxhunter, fma brotherhood, like anything that starts with a bunch of shitty anime tropes I shutdown immediately. What do you reccomend?

Maybe you'll find it hypocrytical that I said that and watched fotns but it laid the ground for most shounen and the sadness and personality of the characters compleled me.

not him, but Lain and Texhnolyze

I'm so glad more people are starting to check it out, it's really a shame how unknown it is

Crazy how these are both in the same franchise.

SEED is watchable though it has absolutely stupid amounts of recycled footage. SEED Destiny on the other hand is pure garbage and it's the reason why some people hate SEED so much.

I recommend Kaiba, it's a short series but a masterpiece with very surreal and stylized imagery. The characters are charming and rounded tezuka-like designs which contrast to the tone, which is both dreamlike and cruel and can be overwhelmingly sad.

Agreed on lain though it takes some time to appreciate, I haven't seen texhnolyze despite the hundreds of times it has been recommended. I haven't watched anime in months and have a giant neglected backlog

That should be Okuyasu and his dad as the frog, seems obvious.

I loved Mushishi. Its pretty kino

i dont think it's contradictory at all really, fotns/hnk has a charm in the filmmaking and a really earnest approach to its writing and pathos especially that elevate it imo

plus the soundtrack is fuckin killer

texhnolyze is probably among the best anime, not enough people watch it because it's extremely slow, but it's very rewarding

also that Kaiba episode with the step mother :'(

see

are you saying mushishi is typical shonen?

I'm glad you like it too. Cliche or not as you said I found it very honest in its delivery. What did you think of the final ken vs raoh fight? I didn't find it as exciting as I had hoped, but truth be told I wasn't 100% for those last couple episodes. The shin vs ken fight though is what compeled me the most, one of my favorite shounen fights, very emotional.

I will check out everyone's recs, thanks guys.

I know there are /tv anons who watched American cartoons like batman, so here's one for them.
The Big O is the result of people taking the American style cartoon and running it through the Japanese creative process which inevitably meant it had to be made into a giant robot show. However, it is pretty unique and is beautifully "shot" (i don't know if this is the correct term for animation). While I am a giant fan of the story it presents it is clearly something they didn't entirely finish and were searching for ways to find closure as the show went on.
Thanks, I think i'll start it tomorrow
Yeah that whole episode was like a punch in the gut, the mother's final realization of what she'd truly done was one of the saddest and most effective moments in the whole show.

>Its pretty kino
You're thinking of Kino's Journey.

Kino no Tabi is great.

no i'm saying you're a Cred Forumsedditor

thanks buddy, makes me feel pretty kino

Posting more shots of the Big O because I love the style they decided on (basically just western cartoon style)

Kino is good, there are some minor problems I have with it but i liked it overall

it shouldn't as you're a flick

If Planetes isn't a high point for the modern medium I don't know what is.

>Another Cred Forums recommends entry level anime thread
What a basic board.

woah man, lets not go overkino here.

>Soundless webm of characters talking without subtitles

I hated Planetes so much. I could only stomach an episode or two but the character designs and the voices got on my nerves so badly i couldn't go on. The space sequences were beautiful though

Watch the show to find out.

yeah, it started to drag a bit around the last act or so for me too. not enough to be a real issue but it could've been tightened up or something i guess. like you said the earlier parts of the show are the best i think, its when it feels the most mythical almost with ken being a kind of wandering figure not unlike django or the man with no name. confronting shin (which was great yeah) so early could've taken a lot of wind out of the series' sails but i also thought rei was good as a foil and a deuteragonist and that kept it from feeling spent emotionally, and the banter with the two of them and mamiya was a fun bit of lightness for the series

If you haven't gone past two episodes you haven't even gotten into the meat of the show.
>the character designs
They look like normal human beings. More so than most anime characters, in fact.
>the voices
The original voice cast is great and the dub honestly isn't too bad either. Only thing I can think of is Ai shouting about love a lot, which is meant to annoy you.

user i see your love for the show and I will try it again for you
Promise you'll watch one of the things i recommended in this thread though

>The original voice cast is great
Hachi's voice actor died last week.

Not at all you stupid fuck.

Bullshit. Did he die of anything in particular?
Well, The Big O has been on my backlog since the beginning of time. Might finally get around to watching it.

its because you are choosing not to post content that belongs on the board made for it.

Brainstem hemorrhage.

Dammit, that's awful. Well, time to post the other all time classic series featuring a cute and enthusiastic redhead throwing herself into a dangerous and traditionally male-dominated field, developing a very close relationship with her slightly older and extremely jaded mentor turned partner that she helps slowly defrost.
Really, Ai Tanabe is basically Space Noa.

who /kanuka/ here

user, we're trying to AVOID talking about dead voice actors.

Right here buddy

haha shit, i totally forgot actually

He probably did since he refers to an annoying talking cat. It's practically a completely different character in the dub.

This is a fucking awful film and I suck Oshii's cock.
Pure garbage.

It's my favorite animated movie. It is just so fucking good.

That is an interesting interpretation, and I can't really find any fault in believing in it.

a lot of those are just marsturbatory hipster garbage that offer nothing but novelty

>The Steel Helmet
What the fuck is this doing there? It's corny shlock.

Yes this all the way.
Paprika is a visual fest, beautiful sound track.
Tokyo Godfathers is also a must watch. Fantastic animation all round.

good anime is an oxymoron. hentai is fine for fapping though.

>using freud
>the most discredited person in history