Is Who Wants to be a Millionaire just a game of luck?

Is Who Wants to be a Millionaire just a game of luck?
I mean, there's 33.34% chance of being right unless the person happen to know the answer, and lifelines can only get you so far into the game.

Let's say there are 15 questions with 4 choices each. Let's also say there are 3 lifelines: call-a-friend, 50-50, and ask-the-audience.

For each of the 15 questions, there is only 1 correct answer, and 3 incorrect answers, so immediately your chances are 1/3 = 33.34%. You can use each lifeline once. Using phone-a-friend, let's say gives you a 95% chance the person you call is correct. So 1 question is 95%. Similarly, we can say ask-the-audience gives you a 95% chance. Finally, 50-50 will remove 2 wrong answers, so you have 1 right answer and 1 wrong answer, so you basically know the answer. To recap:

Question 1: 33.34%
Question 2: 33.34%
Question 3: 33.34%
Question 4: 95%

>That show is making tons of money off of people.

what do you mean? Do you mean the people participating or the people watching?

Also i think your 46% are wrong, thats not how probability is calculated (i think)

>Also i think your 46% are wrong, thats not how probability is calculated (i think)
it isn't. it's troll pasta.

haven't seen it in a while though.

>Finally, 50-50 will remove 2 wrong answers, so you have 1 right answer and 1 wrong answer, so you basically know the answer.

also this sounds wrong as well. What if you dont know which one is the right answer. The chances are 50% if you use the 50/50

>Total: 690.08%
>Divided by 15 questions = 46.00%

im a retard for not spotting that immediately

>Americans have almost 50% chance of winning

>most of them don't even make it til the end

And that folks, is American education.

>Divided by 15 questions = 46.00%
in their best interest they should offer just a single question for winning 1 million $ as the probability of winning apparently increases the more questions you ask.

sounds right.

>4 answers
>33% chance

25% you inbred American fuckstain

It's ok, user.

no, he is right.

(1) right answer (100%)
(3) wrong answer (33%)

>33.4
American education, everyone.

They do fag. The average is bigger because of the lifelines

Lrn2math

Why do they even bother with all the questions? Just give them the million dollar question right away, add 10 more alternatives to make it harder if they want that.

That's what they're there for. Show is called Who Wants to be a Millionaire, not Who Wants to Waste Their Time.

Just stop.

kek what is this thread? i've never seen this pasta before but i like it

1 right answer
3 wrong answers

P(right answer) = right event/wrong events = 1/3

IIRC the first 3 questions or so had a joke answer for 'D' and you were basically guaranteed to leave with at least $1000 unless you're a complete drooling mongoloid

lmfao

>Question 4: 95% Question 9: 95%

>keep 50-50 for the final question meme

It's literally the most useless lifeline. Ask the Audience is the strongest.

hey guys what's going on in this thr-

100% > 95%

46% pretty close op but the real chance of winning is 50%, either you win the million or you don't, 2 options = 50/50.

clearly the phonecall is the strongest. have some chap ready with his computer during that day and figure that shit out. audience are retards sometimes.

>Is Who Wants to be a Millionaire just a game of luck?
No because the point is to actually know the answers

50-50 leaves you with two answers. If you don't know the answer, it's just minimizing the risk.

Ask the Audience is almost never wrong.

That's unfair, what if you don't now the answer?

The audience was wrong a handful of times but the phone-a-friend was always unreliable.

Black people and Syrian refugees should have more lifelines tbqh. White people isn't winning thousands of dollars because of "hard work", it's because of privilege.

they clearly didn't use their phone-a-friend to its full potential, which is far superior to a random group of people with not access to the internet.

Dont forget about fastest finger first.
4 choices , so 33% as you said.
You also need to be the fastest one from 10 contestants so 10% chance.
10 % + 33 % = 43 % for each person from 10
thats a bit fucking unfair.
Even if you are the fastest one, your chances are the same as the guy who got his question wrong and pressed the button last.

OP is on to something here

>P(right answer) = right event/wrong events = 1/3
so when you have 2 right events and 1 wrong one the chance for a right answer is 200%?

Audience has been wrong before, especially with the later hard questions.

>4 questions
>chances are 1/3

are you quite literally retarded? in addition, 50/50 is the only guaranteed lifeline that will increase your odds. friend and audience can and sometimes will be unreliable.

No, I don't think you understand, there are THREE wrong events and ONE right one

>No, I don't think you understand, there are THREE wrong events and ONE right one
good troll.
according to your logic if they offered you a game with 2 right answers and 1 false one you would have a 200% chance of winning. this makes no sense. your logic therefore is wrong.

>a game 2 right answers and 1 false one
*3 right answers

you have a very high chance of winning, but the exact percentage impossible to calculate.

>I mean, there's 33.34% chance of being right unless the person happen to know the answer

Jesus, fuck, isn't this copypasta like near a decade old by now?

Didn't one of the first winners on the American version just use phone-a-friend to brag that he was going to win?

Seriously underrated post

>you have a very high chance of winning, but the exact percentage impossible to calculate.
hahahahahaha

Does it matter? OP is putting some real effort into this thread.
Just sit back and enjoy.

I remember reading this like three years ago on /sci/. What am I doing with my life?

Beautiful execution, did not make me rage.

6/10 for craftsmanship.

I remember this, the goat & the car right?

First. The guy that he's gonna call knows that, so he will be on the computer to google the answer.

man, i haven't seen this in ages
i'd call the people replying sincerely newfags or whatever but it's been so long that i'm not even sure they can be called that

this is vintage bait

Yeah except contestants ALWAYS fucking blow this one. Usually they'll muse over the answers out loud for the TV audience, they'll pick one or two they think are correct. Then they'll 50/50 and it will ALWAYS BE THOSE TWO THEY NAMED. How can contestants be so retarded.

If you're going to 50/50, shut the fuck up and do it before you say anything.

Friend is a bit of a toss-up, audience is almost always correct. They are rarely split. It's called the wisdom of the crowd.

50/50 is the weakest lifeline because contestants don't know how to use it

No, because you still have one right answer against one wrong one, so your probability is 1/1 = 100%