Where should I start with DBZ? Which dub is the best? Which version is the best...

Where should I start with DBZ? Which dub is the best? Which version is the best? What is the difference between Kai and the original?

Start from ep 1

Funimation dub is best

Kai is the original without filler (stuff that didn't appear in the manga).

Before the faggots tell you to go to co, don't bother watching it. If you don't have nostalgia glasses, it's terrible. If you have to, Kai is the only option because of less fillers.

Start with original Dragon Ball, episode 1. English dub is generally fine, people who complain about it are generally weeb faggots who are still butthurt about censorship enacted by a different company 20 years ago.

Kai is a recut version of Dragon Ball Z that compresses 291 episodes into about 160, removing a lot of the filler and padding of the original series. It's a mixed bag, and while a lot of the big moments are tightened up and more enjoyable to watch, the good filler (Goku's driving test, r&r before the cell games, other world tournament) are cut along with it. The dub is re-recorded as well, and it's much better than the original.

Which dub is closer to the original Japanese version?

Dragon Ball, then Dragon Ball Z
Everything else is optional

Why do you even want to watch it in the first place? it's fucking shit and the only reason some people like it is because of muh nostalgia.

Anyways, Kai removes fillers so watch that (but seriously why? are you 12?)

English dubbed Kai ends at the end of the Cell Saga if I remember correctly

start with Cred Forums and then stay there.

kai means like altered. And DBZ kai is a remastered, re-edited HD version. In the US Funimation version is more censored, removing blood and other stuff.

Kai has blood and shit? Closer to the original Japanese anime?

Btw, I asked this on Cred Forums and got banned from that board for some reason.

Grew up with the English dub (Funimation) and it's a decent dub. Started watching the Japanese version and I'd say it's better. Kai has more original scenes from the manga and with different music/remastered sounds.

is your first day on the internet?

kys retard, you're sure 12yo or so...

This

Dragon ball is a much more enjoyable story. It shows how young goku learns how to use his power and other stuff. Watch this if you're more into martial arts than giant lasers

Dragon Ball Z has a fucking butt ton of episodes and it's poorly paced. I wouldn't say it's bad a bad show but it's not always the best. Also it gets kinda repetitive. Whatch this if you're more into lasers than martial arts

Dragon Ball Z Kai is Dragon Ball Z but shorter by a lot. I think it's about one third as many episodes as Dragon Ball Z. It paced much better and fights don't take 5 episodes usually

I don't know much about GT. People say it's bad. Some say it's comfy. I don't know.

I hope this helped you op

Thank you, user.

Kai is actually censored for content, blood and gore is edited out, and scenes of Vegeta flipping people off are cut too.

but seriously OP, don't start with Z. Watch the original series and then move on to Z.

No one mentioning Ocean Dub being the best.

The fuck is wrong with you guys.

So Uncut is the best version?

Here's what you do:

>Watch 153 episodes of Dragon Ball
>Watch the Dragon Box version of the 291 episodes of Dragon Ball Z (the "season" releases look like shit)
>Skip GT
>Watch Battle of Gods and Resurrection F
>If you're still hungry for more pick up Super from episode 28

I am an undisputed expert on Dragon Ball, so I am objectively correct. anyone who says otherwise is a retard. You can watch either in English or Japanese, personal preference.

What do you guys think the Black Goku / Zamasu fusion is going to look like?

Also do you think Future Trunks' transformation is permanent, as in he will be able to use it at will later on?

true but its currently airing, plus the buu saga is already done they just need to air it
>tfw no heaven scene with Dabura

you really think skipping the first 27 episodes of Super wouldn't be missing out on anything important?

i hate anime but there are some good shows on here

>>If you're still hungry for more pick up Super from episode 28
fuck that pick it up after Universe 6 saga, it was complete shit

The first 27 episodes of Dragon Ball Super are retellings of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F but with shittier animation

Don't talk to me or my son ever again unless you know what you're talking about, loser

Those episodes are basically the 2 movies but dragged out and with poorer animation. The movies have much superior animation quality.

Read the Dragonball Manga

if you need moving images then start at DragonBall for gods sake

Watch the remastered blurays of the original funimation dub like pic related. The filler adds heart and character development and it has GOAT Falconer score. Kai is ok, i guess. This is where it all started. Best score, best VA's.

If you don't watch the Black Goku asaga then you're a cuck.

Faulconer ftw. Funimation best version

I think Future Trunks rage transformation is temporary much like Rage Vegeta against Beerus.

Reminder that Faulconer score debuts in episode 68; Ginyu Assault.

why don't kai subs past episode 141 exist

how am i supposed to finish the buu saga now

Start with Dragon Ball in the original Japanese dub.

Then watch the Dragon Ball Z Kai English dub.

Team 4 star abridged series for a good dub

The TV version is censored. Not the version that you actually buy.

Don't watch Z watch Kai OP. Kai cuts it to the chase really quickly. Instead of watching 10 hours of filler each segment, you can just blast through it in less than 100 episodes with Kai.

Agreed. Their shorts for DBS are also hilarious.

Looks pretty permanent, it didn't look like the usual "punch a dude a few times, fire off a big energy blast and I'm done" rage power up.

When he called his aura later on in the fight the
god aura effect was still there.

>tfw almost 0 Gotenks and Gohan in Super

Gotenks is so much fun as a character, the whole segment leading up to the their first ssj3 transformation is kek worthy.

At least future trunks gets to be a badass again, shame they've totally killed off Gohan as anything but a nerd now, would've loved to see him do something this saga.

Watching the movies then reading the plot for universe 6 saga and watching from the start of the Black saga is best, I couldn't get into super properly until this saga at all.

Honestly I like DBZA better than the actual series

Honestly OP would probably have a better time if he just watched this and Dragon Ball. DBZ is so shitty

Kai technically doesn't "censor" anything. Some scenes with offending material are redrawn with slightly less gore/nudity, but they're very inconsistent. For example, one scene with some minor blood is edited whereas another scene where a guy's impaled and bleeding everywhere is left completely untouched. Funnily enough, Kai's dub has a LOT more cussing compared to the original.

It's not really a big deal as it's unnoticeable for the most part (we're not talking CN/Saban-level editing here), plus they stopped after the Namek arc (probably because it was too much work to do).

Read the manga

That's fine. I like to pretend DBZ ended at the Cell saga anyway.

Just read the manga. You'll be done with it in a week at most. The official Viz Media translation has been ripped from digital stores but only use it when you run out of good fan scanalations, as Viz is really shitty.

Fuck kai. The dbz filler is good and doesnt need skipping. Also they cut out too much. Goku is done snake way is like 2 episodes. Kai is just way too rushed

Dubbed Kai stopped at the same time the original Kai did. The Majin Boo Hen continuation was supposed to be only for export but Toei went ahead and aired it anyway. The remaster for MJH is supposed to be really bad, worse than the orange bricks.

this is the only correct answer

>snakeway skipped
Almost forgot about this, fuck kai goddamn

So is the episode where gohan meets a bunch of orphan kids or some shit. Also, the driving license test one

The problem with the Kai'd Buu arc wasn't the video quality (it's still leagues ahead of the orange bricks), but the editing of the episodes themselves.

The driving test episode was the only good filler. I could care less about the rest

It depends, what do you want to watch?

The mystical kung fu epic that the series was made as, or the generic action cartoon that Funimation rebranded it as?

Both are valid forms of enjoyment.

If you want to watch the former, start with episode 1 of DB, in Japanese.

If you want to watch the latter, start with episode 1 of Kai, in English.

Sorry let me amend that:

If you want the generic action cartoon, watch the original anime version of Z with the Faulconer score.

English Kai is more of the middle ground between the two.

FYI the original Z animation alternates directors every few episodes which can be a bit jarring.

Honestly, read the manga

Not even a manga elitist when it comes to anime and manga, the anime's 2 big issues are it fucks the pacing up by a huge margin and the art/animation quality is shit most of the time

Kai fixes the pacing, mostly, but it doesn't fix the art, Wheras the manga art is gorgous, especially if you do the full color releases

I still think it's worth seeing the anime just because it's such a cultural cornerstone, but if you actually want the best experience, read the manga.

Kai is best overall

This, especially the part about pacing. The entire DB saga, from Goku meeting Bulma to Goku fighting Uub, is only 520 chapters. That's crazy when you think about the length of the big shounen manga now.

It also brackets the convoluted "which voices and music should I hear?" part of the conversation.