Lightsabers are pure light right? so technically they shouldn't weigh a fucking thing

lightsabers are pure light right? so technically they shouldn't weigh a fucking thing.

yet in the sequels and TFA they swing them like they're big fucking claymores or something. only when Kylo Ren messes rooms up does it feel like he's swinging around something that's virtually weightless with zero air resistance.

it should take a split second even for an untrained fighter like Finn to fuck up someone with a freaking swivel stun baton. like just lunge at the fucker. what's he going to do? sidestep? then you just move your arms in that direction. you don't have to recover from a swing because there's virtually nothing past your hilt. if you're throwing weight into your swings you're a fucking idiot and deserve to die.

shit choreography aside, the prequels actually got it right. that's how lightsaber fights should go down. that shit should swing faster than the human eye can keep up. especially when ultra-trained superhumans are the ones swinging them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sLkGSV9WDMA
youtube.com/watch?v=8kpHK4YIwY4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Lbuu5N4Gs
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TrĂ kata
youtu.be/dDj5UPZNzsU?t=129
youtu.be/LmdWynyN2JA?t=253
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>We need a cool way for them to fight
>Sword fights are cool
>Yeah but you don't have swords in the future
>Laser swords
That's literally 100% of what went into making lightsabers, that's what you're getting upset about

why not have big swords made out of metal, and when you press the button it lights up into door-melting badassery?

am I autistic purely because I want my fiction to be coherent?

Einstein has already proven that energy equals mass you fucking knobcake

>lightsabers are pure light right?
No

We're talking about STAR WARS you autist!

Light has no mass you fucking dent.

>prequel logic

KYS

They are not light, they are made of superheated plasma.

Plasma.
>so technically they shouldn't weigh a fucking thing.
Handle.

I bet you think blasters use actual lasers too, fucking moron.

How do you want them to film this? Have the sword made out of paper?

Like how can you film them fighting, hitting each other blades, not having them break, and at the same time making them feel like they have no weight.

Yes.

Wool?

youtube.com/watch?v=sLkGSV9WDMA

See 40K, I think you'd like it.
You literally described Power Swords.

Very

>lightsaber
>light
>actually heavy
BRAVO ABRAMS

but if it's just light, how can you kill someone with it??? like do you die if i point a laser pointer or a flashlight at you?

Because that's not iconic as fuck. Do you think every cool piece of scifi has to be designed by you? What the fuck do you have to offer, a boring artistic vision?

The handle has weight. Also, the containment field for the plasma creates a certain air resistance and is also a little erratic and hard to control.

It's fiction, nerd.

>but if it's just light
It isn't.

werent you the one pointing out that lightsaber duels are unrealistic because light has no mass?
>it's fiction, nerd
you too

>light
Its plasma.

light has no mass but it has momentum

they're contained plasma. The first lightsabers were literally plasma throwers.

>The first lightsabers were literally plasma throwers.
But isn't that just a blaster?

Flame throwers aren't guns either.

So when you say "plasma thrower", you mean it just thew out a stream of plasma at short range?

No they are made of plasma. Thread over.

irony

Isn't the hilt meant to have some gyrosopic force to it?

I'll bite: the choreography is the same as with the original trilogy (specifically Empire) and Finn gets his butt beat both times he lightsabers.

then why arent they called plasma swords.

1:0

Lightsabers are gyroscopically stabilized hence they have inertia and resist movement = giving the sensation of weight and needing strength to wield properly. This is also the reason why all the spinning in the prequels, it was a way to keep the inertia going and redirect it as needed.

Because Plasma theoretically can be a state of light.

Was meant for.

>>Yeah but you don't have swords in the future

pic related

Because lightsaber sounds better.
And the plasma explanation came after the name.

lasers can cut metal.

what do you think?

Notice how in Obi vs Darth Vader fight they don't swing the light sabers like claymores but it's all about agility
(inb4 spin)

youtube.com/watch?v=8kpHK4YIwY4

Negligible weight isn't the same as no weight you cock-sucking piece of shit

Why do you ask this as if it's been explained at all? Only thing we knows about lightsabers is that some faggot kiddo on Tattooine calls them laserswords.

This is the most autistic thread on Cred Forums right now

None of the mass behind a swing comes from the hilt genius. It's like holding a Wii Remote.

Cardboard tubes covered in reflective paint.
>an elegant weapon from a more civilised age

Ultra-light plastics, probably hundreds of them.

lol wut nigga. this is the modern era

Why dont jedi just turn the lightsaber on and off again to stop their swing from being blocked?

That spin is some pretty advanced shit. I would foolishly try to hit him with his back turned, only to be cut down when he finished spinning.

The blades do have mass. We can see this when the lightsaber is thrown in ROTJ and also ROTS. The lightsaber rotates around a point of balance along the blade. So it spins around the near (a little hilt heavy) the center of the blade. Not spinning around the center of the hilt like a torch would.

What you describe as a swivel stun baton is a Tonfa literally developed to fight swordsmen in the way shown in the movie but by Okinawa islanders vs Samurai.

I think the choreography in the prequels is actually really good. It's the right balance between realisticish sword fighting (real swordfighting isn't much of spectator sport and pretty shit for movies) and the sort of combat that the weapons you describe would be like.

>lightsabers are pure light right? so technically they shouldn't weigh a fucking thing.
Light coming out a metal object. Do flashlights not weight anything?

They're made out of plasma but the reason they are moved around like claymores is that their plasma generator thing is hard to move.

>Thread over
You can't just end a thread because you think you found a solution you autistic nigger.
also plasma isn't just a material, it's a state of matter like solid liquid or gas. You can't just say "it's made of plasma" it has to be a plasmafied form of something. Example: the Sun is a plasma of hydrogen and flourescent bulbs are filled with a plasma of halogen.
Now that you (hopefully) understand that, you'll (hopefully) understand why your argument makes no sense.

No it can't.
see

Yup

There are plenty of materials in the EU that resist lightsabers. Sort of takes out all the badassery a lightsaber is supposed to be.

More autism incoming

>picture of frodo
>bilbo.jpg
well done

since the blade is weightless you become less spatially aware of it, as an untrained novice at least. So its actually beneficial to make large sweeping movements of the light sabre becuase its really fucking easy to chop your own shit off if you aren't keeping a a wide breath from the blade.

But they bounce of things in the movies too. Bits of set and Vaders shoulder armour at one point.

All this weightless light weapon that can cut through anything thinking is actually headcanon garbage visually disproven by the films themselves.

Photons have zero mass

And actually, there was quite a bit expanded upon in Star Wars Galaxies, which takes place before Hoth. Wonder if that would be considered EU.

Maybe the crystal weighs alot

>does a video game count as EU

Anything that is not the movies is EU as far as I'm concerned.

Well, whatever the case, Boba Fett wore Mandalorian armor (which wasn't really explained until The Old Republic, but still), and it was resistant to Lightsabers. I believe he was also known for hunting Jedi.

>I was born with a lobotomized rat brain

Off yourself you waste of matter.

>space-fantasy
>pondering the realism of laser swords

>made of light
>can arbitrarily stop the light in mid air to form a sword
??????????

>what are gravitons

It's like swinging a fucking 30lb dumbbell you fucking schmuck.

>as far as I'm concerned
Headcanon doesn't mean shit. Regardless, though, it would in fact have been EU, but likely retconned when Disney wiped 95% of the old canon EU so they had a fresh place to start with the movies and accompanying games, books, shows, etc.

This is true. A lightsaber's blade is pure energy. Swinging around an activated one would feel the same as swinging a deactivated one, but it's a fucking movie and sometimes things just have to look cool.

>the way Obi decapitates it

Stuff like this is why so many people like that character.

Except this isn't the kind of science fiction where stuff actually needs to make sense, it's basically fantasy in space. I mean, the movies have bad guys shoot lightning out of their hands, and big metal planets aren't affected by gravity so I never really understood why people get upset over the weight of lightsabers.

In the canon, lightsabers are heavy. At least that is what GL said before he forgot his own pottery and fucked up the fights in AotC and RotS.

i thought it was the electricity around the thingie that when in contact with the saber could handle the thingie

Interesting theory.

Why does the lightsaber look so skinny here? It's probably more realistic, but it looks wrong.

Seeing this millenial autism is so fucking stale. It's a stupid fantasy flick where no one cares about nitpicking, you stupid moron. Grow the fuck up.

that storm trooper was retarted to drop his gun and go fighting with melee weapon instead shooting boyga to face

George Lucas said in that one documentary that he imagined lightsabers being very heavy... so heavy that you had to use two hands to wield them and kind of awkwardly swing them around. That's why the fighting in A New Hope is so slow, apparently.

Also just because they are called 'lightsabers' does not mean they are made of light nor that they are sabres.

I really want to see a large lightsaber in the next flick
and lightwhips too

>lightsabers are pure light right? so technically they shouldn't weigh a fucking thing.

No, you fucking Moron

Pic related are lightsabers. Do they look like they are made of fucking light? Before George Lucas went and completely flipped and lost his everloving mind, he established that lightsabers required two hand to wield effectively because they were made of heavy materials.

They have an effective mass though. Stop pretending you understand quantum mechanics.

>Using a gun when the opponent can reflect your bullets

You think that untrained janitor fuck can block laser shots?

well he was not jedi that could predict where shots land

How did anime become ore accurate with future weaponry than western movies?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Lbuu5N4Gs

>Future

My mistake tbqh.
Niggas downgraded as time went on with weapons.

the handles are heavy so they don't cut their arms off by accident by moving too fast

if you're gonna be a casual don't bother making threads

Are you sure about that? Retard

Not him, but yes, photons have no mass. They have momentum and they have energy, but they do not have mass.

Light has mass, otherwise it's speed would never stop you dumb fuck. Look at Einsteins theory of relativism faggot

> Momentum = mass X velocity
> photons have momentum
> photons have no mass

>> Momentum = mass X velocity

No

That's cos they have infinite velocity bro

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TrĂ kata

the fuck do you mean no?

because jj listened to these fags who said they liked the originals for their "Emotinoal weight" or whatever the fuck that means.

personally I liked the "Overly choreographed" fights and shit like the force unleashed which you guys seem to not like cool shit.

It's a fucking movie nerd!

Here, watch this saber fight, you'll like it.
youtu.be/dDj5UPZNzsU?t=129

You all wouldn't like it if they did lightsabers as weightless beam weapons. Watch this olympic fencing. It's not cool:
youtu.be/LmdWynyN2JA?t=253

Anyway, keep in mind that Star Wars is space fantasy, not science fiction. I really enjoyed the fight between Kylo and Ren -- it was reckless and amateur, which made it exciting. I wasn't a fan of the big tonfa scene. It looked clumsy.

between kylo and ren?
, ': T

>light doesn't weigh anything
do you even science?

>jj listened

it's not like he's any less of a OT fanboy/prequel hater

everyone just needs to stop this whole "science of star wars" nonsense
physics are clearly different in a universe where there's sound in space

It's in our universe, hence "in a galaxy far, far away".

You fucking missed the point cunt.
I should arse rape you

they never said it was our universe, can't we assume it's not?

In "a" universe

Fucking cheese dicks

This.

they are not pure light, they are more like plasma swords, although the prequels did a terrible job of representing this, but TFA did a decent job (among the many failures it had)

if you had a cold block of butter and a cold butter knife, it will still take some force to push the knife through the butter, same concept with a lightsaber which is basically a super hot butter knife

wtf is going on with his neck here

there toys

Ur mums dildo collection? Lmao

>Notice how in Obi vs Darth Vader fight they don't swing the light sabers like claymores but it's all about agility

Go back and look again. The light sabers in the original trilogy travel much slower than those in the prequels.

There is actually a documented logic and history behind these make believe sword battles, and the clue is the handles or hilts.

The size and shape of the handle shows roughly what kind of real life sword they are imitating, and the sabers in the OT are designed to be wielded with 1.5 or 2 hands. They are swung with the whole hand and the wrist, like a longer, heavier medievel sword.

The sabers in the prequel trilogy get fastere as the movies progress. They are more like fencing swords, designed to light enough to be moved by fingers (which are faster than wrists).

>the sequels
kill yourself

then how come photons have momentum?
check and mate

Photons have mass, dipshit.

They also have use of the force. Which that nigger Finn doesn't.

that's not how you fight with a knife

But then why wouldnt every1 use the lighter versions
Seems like making it heavier without any added strength is pointless

>wear mirrored armor
>become immune to lightsabers