I'm 29, watching this again for the first time in like 7-10 years. I still don't get it...

I'm 29, watching this again for the first time in like 7-10 years. I still don't get it. Should I go out and sleep on the nearest golf course?

Other urls found in this thread:

donniedarko.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, it simply doesn't make sense. The people who "get it" are the ones who don't understand the plot fully.

Something something your death is inevitable

Also Patrick Swayze is a fucking pedo

the movie is a time loop

I don't get it either

I'm sure Richard Kelly (I know his name because I just watched it) had a solid idea and script going in. So it never made sense?

Is it though? If people can make sense of Primer, Donnie Darko shouldn't be that hard. But I still don't get it.

if you just fucking google donnie darko this is the 3rd result

donniedarko. org .uk/explanation/

>the entire plot and every character's motivation is determined by a set of unspoken, arbitrary rules
>even within this made-up framework they can't explain the initial appearance of the jet engine

Sticking an axe into a solid bronze statue, is that explained!

>they can't explain the initial appearance of the jet engine
Beings from the future sent it. Not shitting you. They're responsible for everything.
Listen to the commentary on the DC. Kelly's a madman.

It's about growing up. Ignore all the time loop shit. None of that matters

>None of that matters
So what in this movie matters?

Choosing to die to save the one you love

>She said that every living creature dies alone
>It's absurd

>The search for God is absurd?
>It is if everyone dies alone.

Why do I accept this edgy shit when pushing 30?

Why do I accept kids liking edgy shit like Integrity when pushing 35?

The parts about growing up

This.

It's a much better film if you just focus on the characters rather than the plot.

no its not its a pocket universe

"Getting" it aside, is Donnie Darko actually good? I remember not thinking much of it when I first watched it but that was years ago. Is it actually a good film or do people just like it because it's "deep?"

man, I still hope that I love Integ at 35.
HUMANITY IS THE DEVIL

>Is it actually a good film or do people just like it because it's "deep?"
It's a great fucking film. Great leads, writing and attitude. I still don't get it.

Sparkle Motion!

>I'm too braindead to understand high concept, so I only pay attention to the surface trappings

The sad part is the Director's Cut LITERALLY spells out the mechanics for time travel in the film.

When Donnies class is reading Graham Greens "The Destructors", Donnie is asked by his teacher Karen to give his opinion on the story.

>Well, they say it right when they flood the house, and they tear it to shreds that, like, uh, destruction is a form of creation. So the fact that they burn the money is ironic. They just want to see what happens when they tear the world apart. They want to change things.

This is basically the whole movie.
Donnie wants to see what happens when he destroys the entire world, thus creating his tangent universe.
When he has essentially destroyed the entire world, the story resets and he is back in his bed. Laughing, giving a sigh and turns to sleep. And then he is killed.

>They just want to see what happens when they tear the world apart.
It stuck with me as well.
But at the same time I don't think it's about destroying the world. No matter how negative Donnie is in the movie.

That's like trying to understand southland tales.

never seen it bump

>not understanding southland tales

wew lad, maybe stick with Disney studios from now on

Are you implying it was all in Donnie's head? If so then how are the actual people affected by Donnie's tangent universe?

>it was all in Donnie's head?
I'm with you. I can't be that simple.

Did you watch the director's cut? They explained a lot more in thT and I remember it made sense to me when I watched it, it didn't when I watched the cinematic cut

The story is pretty stupid but the individual beats (at least in the first two acts) are great

For instance, the movie theater scene actually becomes much less interesting once Frank is explained. Hell, half the movie is ruined by Frank being explained. He goes from being an immaculate phantasm ripe for projection of our own existential dread to something mundane, convoluted and stupid

I saw it as Frank gave him some time to live and accept his death.