Horror Kino: Rank them

Shining: Good from a visual/technical perspective however let down by shitty acting/writing. Not really a horror movie. 3.

Thing: Pretty much the best setting and premise of all time, it would be hard to mess up. Pacing is a bit uneven and it would benefit from more tension and less gore (also the gore looks silly). 2.

Exorcist: Good writing, acting, mix of sombre tone without taking itself too seriously. The visual effects are obviously fake, unnatural and jarring, but that actually works to the benefit of the film. 1.

thing>exorcist>shining
but im a sucker for body horror so its probs biased

Shining > Thing > Exoricist

Enjoyability
Thing > Exorcist > Shining

Scaryness
Shining > Thing > Exorcist

Kinoness
Shining > Exorcist > Thing

Why? None of these movies are even remotely comparable.

why not faggot?

the shining is the only good one

The Shining isn't a horror movie, it's a comedy.

-All three films feature An Old, Other-Worldly Malevolent Force which infiltrates the lives and minds of the protagonists, taking them over, setting them against each other, and causing them to kill one another. In every case, this is lived by the protagonists as a nightmare, since they all live in close proximity to one another and had previously established close relationships and friendships which are now torn asunder by the evil of the Malevolent Force. The protagonists are part of an elect group who understand to a greater or lesser extent that the Force is real, while the rest of the normie herd are oblivious to this.

-Although some of the protagonists are left standing at the end, and the immediate threat has been eliminated, it is not at all clear that the Force has been eliminated - it threatens to rear its ugly head in a future film, or adapatation (and does so).

-All three films were released within ten years of each other (and so are of the same cultural generation), feature memorable and shocking practical effects, and were directed by men who were roughly of the same generation - only Carpenter is a Baby Boomer in the conventional sense, only just barely - he was born in 1948.

-The Shining and The Thing both feature an isolated group who are shut in together in a remote snowbound location, while the Force begins to threaten their lives, and test their sanity.

-Stanley Kubrick had been approached to direct The Exorcist, but he declined the project.

-The Exorcist and The Shining both feature memorable horror film performances by child actors. In both cases, their characters seem to be "taken over" by spirits for extented periods of the respective movies.

-All three films' titles are of the form "The ______", which in each case is a simple comment on the Other-Worldly character of the film's premise.

1. The shining
2. The haunting
3. The ring
4. Jaws
5. One missed call jap version
6. The babadook
7. Signs
8. Nightmare on elm street
9. Alien
10. Hellraiser

>overall order
shining >>> thing =/= exorcist

>repeat watchability
shining >>> thing >> exorcist

>how they've dated
shining >>> exorcist > thing

i too enjoy kubricks dick inside of my mouth

Btfo'd

that's some shit taste you got there.

the thing > exorcist >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shining

pls don't harm yourself lad

pleb taste: the post

This

kek why so angry. I'm not saying the thing and the exorcist are bad, just that the shining is a classic. wew lads

Jack nicholson and shelly duvall were unbearable. If you can tolerate their "acting" maybe you're the one with pleb taste

cronenberg was right about the shining

The Exorcist > The Thing > The Shining

The Shining 10/10
-this is how you do it lads

The Thing 8.5/0
-pretty fucking grand

The Exorcist 7/10
dont get the hype watch more films senpai

Bonus
Possession 10/10
its kino senpai

the thing is literally the most flawless movie of all time

fight me

I only watch films

those arent even the scariest three films ever made

you're fucking retarded
Exorcist > Shining > Thing

+1 for this, These 3 would be more comparable if it was this instead of the shining

booo taste

Thing>The Shining>The Exorcist

The Thing is the only one I like.

Movies like the Excorcist or Rosemary's Baby or the more recent Witch are all hardcore religious horror that are a lot less effective if you don't share that faith. The Excorcist is still a classic, but it's power varies along with its audience.

Is The Shining even a horror movie?

t. pleb

t. actual pleb

no

He doesn't like non traditional horror movies with horror elements. i bet you think full metal jacket and eyes wide shut and 2001 arent goat infused genre horror either do you?

>non-traditional horror movies with horror elements

This is the point I'm arguing friend, It's injustice to define the Shining as horror, just like it's incorrect to define 2001 as sci-fi

The Shining imo is better than both of the others by a mile, but it's not a horror movie

>The Shining imo is better than both of the others by a mile, but it's not a horror movie
Id say its horror, horror doesnt have to be traditional like Lost Highway for example.

I dont think its an injustice its just because thats what it mostly is, since kubrick made it. 2001 is scifi fantasy

Thoughts?

When I was a lad, my dad talked a lot about how impressive Exorcist was when he saw it in the theaters.
Then one day we watched it on TV and both agreed it sucked. Puberty isn't scary.

Nice

Halloween and Nightmare 1 are legit great movies. Friday the 13 is important to the genre and an okay watch, but it is nowhere near great. Still, pretty good choices. Most people choose Nightmare 3 over 1 and that pisses me off.

All of them are fun.

why do autists from reddit and Cred Forums think the thing is a good horror movie?

>kys

>moderately enjoyable trash
>kino
>decent

>Thoughts?
bad paint/photosohp skill

the weakest Kubrick is better than most. You are correct

for you

This nigger nailed it.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre>>>>Nightmare=Halloween>Friday the 13th

The X-Files

Just re-watched Texas Chainsaw and can confirm this.

My personal favorite of the bunch is the Shining, but I think the Exorcist is probably a better and more consistent movie all around.

Horror movies don't have to be relatable to be scary. They're not scary because watching it makes me think "oh no now I'm scared this bad thing will happen to me". That's such a narrow minded way to view horror. To me horror movies are about immersion. And about The Witch, who the fuck is a Puritan in the modern day? That movie was great, and it horrified me not because I think it will happen but because I was immersed in the movie and its world while i was watching it.

nightmare >>>>>>>>> friday >>> halloween