Is this telekino?

is this telekino?

what is some essential kino on the american presidency, from washington to good ol' nixon?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=66uduSIp-3k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm kind of excited for that new History movie on Reagan, Adams was fantastic.

which one?

also
>someone pls inb4 lincoln for me

John Adams was great.

>you now realize Jefferson is Stannis

Is that Spoony playing Paul Latza?

For HBO miniseries, I've only seen Band of Brothers and The Night Of. Which ones are worth watching? Should I watch this next? Also thought about Show Me a Hero.

definitely watch John Adams which is based on David McCullough's book. informative and entertaining.

if you liked band of brothers, you would also like "the pacific" which is more of the same, just on the eastern front.

i liked generation kill when it came out, not sure how it holds up or what Cred Forums's consensus on it is.

Was he the only American actor in it?

It was pretty good, I wish HBO would make more nonfiction history miniseries.

generation kill and john adams are worth watching

watch GK first. i honestly think it's HBOs best mini series.

no, david morse plays washington, and laura linney plays abigal adams

probably a few more than i can't think of

The title sequence is pure kino

>tfw there will never be a teddy roosevelt biopic starring ron swanson

>that tar and feather scene

John Adams is my favorite HBO mini-series.

>tfw shame on you, sir

Why are all the Europeans autists and weirdos?

the first half of the series is some of the best tv hbo has ever done, but it kind of loses pace at some point

that shit seemed much less horrible when we talked about it in history class

i think that's the first time i ever saw a tar and feathering where it was actually serious, most movies and tv shows that have tar+feathering turn it into something comical. it really isn't, that is fucking horrible

Frost/Nixon was pretty good
JFK

My favourites, in order:

Band of Brothers
John Adams
Generation Kill
The Night Of
The Pacific
Show Me A Hero

Worth noting that all of these are worth watching, I would say there's nothing there below an 8.5/10

True detective
The leftovers
6 ft under

Adams was made by HBO. History channel is responsible for the atrocious fantasy that is Sons of Liberty. I don't trust them with dramatization of American history since that.

Unless there was some TV movie I was unaware of, probably still inferior to the show.

It's worth noting that the tar and feather scene is actually historically inaccurate.

In the scene they're using pitch, which would be like being tortured and slowly burnt alive. in reality tat and feathering was done with pine-tar, which is clear, sappy, and has a much lower melting point, so it would be like uncomfortably hot bathwater, but not overly painful. It was always more of a way to shame the victim than to actually hurt them

Because they only meet eccentric Frenchmen, an inbred king, and The Dutch.

Unrelated to the thread but it's entertaining and explains the attitude of all Dutchmen.
youtube.com/watch?v=66uduSIp-3k

Laura Linney was fantastic.

I really appreciated the distinctive personality they gave John Adams, and his wife. They were real Christian lawfags that contrasted with the provocateurs like Sam Adams,the idealists like Jefferson, and the ambitious like Hamilton.

so what happens when it dries and how did they get it off? peel it off like waxing or something? that's got to still hurt like a bitch

Have you ever had epoxy on hands, and it takes like 4 days to scrub a tiny bit off your finger?

Pretty much like that, except without modern soaps or running water. The victim would have to chip it off and then scrub. Part of the punishment was that since it took ages to get off, everyone would know you did something to warrant a punishment.

It reminded me of another more brutal tar and feather scene in some movie I never got the name of.

It took place in modern day Ireland, a guy gets his girlfirend pregnant and the girl miscarries or something and the girls brothers decide to punish the boyfriend by kidnapping him in the night, and spreading hot tar on his chest and then feathering him. It was a pretty intense scene cuz he just gives up fighting once they drag him to the spot and tries and fails to stoicly take it when he knows what is coming.

It was ok. I was hoping for something that really humanized and got into the minds of Adams and co. Instead they just yell and sweat a lot while giving variation on all the same shit you expect them to talk about. The characterizations felt very simple. Adams is vain and pompous, Jefferson depressed, Franklin eccentric, Washington dull as dirt.

The passage of time was incredibly unclear too. They sign the Declaration and two scenes later Washington is in Valley Forge. One episode passes and suddenly the war is over, then next episode I'm told the previous one took place over the course of nearly 10 years. None of that resonates at all

yea the timing is all over the place, it gets really jarring once the war is over and they start skipping over decades worth of his life. the last two or so episodes are the worst for this, they cram a ton of shit in them

Call me a pleb but I always lap up the kind of story that John Adams told. About the unsung hero of the American Revolution. The man who was instrumental at key points and yet never won any fame or glory equal to his fellows, forever a footnote to the revolution and a Flyover President, if you will. A leader in a time treated as filler between momentous occasions of his nations history.

JQA was better.

>tfw I didn't know this
Interesting. I always thought that it was some awful thing that they make look less serious for elementary school history classes.

From the wikipedia page on tarring and feathering
>Some pine tars had a consistency comparable to golden syrup at room temperature, in a manner similar to the different grades of molasses, whereas others were much blacker and more viscous. The latter had to be heated to a higher temperature to use, and so were called "hot tar".[8] Therefore, it is difficult to know the precise characteristics of the materials used in tarring and feathering, in any particular instance. Unless the tar was boiling, it was not necessarily an especially harmful procedure, and in some cases seems to have been more a matter of humiliation than torture.

Black pine tar isn't impossible

Thanks anons

That costume is so bad i thought it was from Drunk History at first

Not that anyone gives a shit, but I'm a direct descendent of the two presidents. My name is Adams, and while many bloodlines lived normal lives and thus became obscure, mine remained prominent in the public and academic spheres all the way down to me. As a result, I grew up attending annual picnics at the Adams Old House, a national park, and I got to do special tours and actually go in and touch John Adams' original artifacts and have access to his library.

The show is very accurate, even getting some amazingly minute and personal details down that many viewers probably just thought was fictional fluff. The writers clearly cared about the subject matter and dived deep into source material. Most everything on the show can be backed up by the historians at the Old House or just by doing your own research (duh). I only saw the miniseries earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. They obviously can't include everything in the show though, and one tidbit I'm proud of is how anti-slavery John was. In the show they made it clear Abigail was outspoken against it, but it was John who wrote the constitution of Massachusetts. The first sentence of that constitution is the one that was later referred to by the Mass supreme court in its ruling that abolished slavery in Massachusetts. So J.A. was the real O.G.

Do you expect some country bumpkin to be able to afford acceptable finery?

The man doesn't even speak French.

John Adams was a brilliant man. I love the quote, "posterity will tell" about how they're remembered. I'm glad JA is getting the respect he deserves.

It's good to see JQA getting some love too, but it's hard to say who's "better". JQA had a longer career, literally working until his death, while JA wanted to be a farmer his whole life and only did all the revolutionary stuff out of a great sense of duty, and he retired back into farm life when all was said and done.

>john adams was a Jew

Hollywood pls

Paul G was great