How the fuck did gimli know what a nervous system was

how the fuck did gimli know what a nervous system was

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ypZLnDaqo1M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dwarves were made by Aule.
They understand how things work.

Chim

Why didnt the orcs protest at the summary execution doled out on them by white officers?

how the fuck did the uruk-hai know what a menu was

it translates whatever theyre saying into english audio the same as star trek. theyre speaking in their own language using their own words.

wish you faggots would learn this

is the state of medicine in lotr ever explained

Gondor has hospitals right?

Dwarves invent, tinker and experiment.
They've tooled around with basic medicine.

Gimli himself is, among his own people, considered the best of the best. Physically, intellectually and morally. He's pretty much dwarf Captain America. He knows his shit.

Here you go, goy asking about Patrick Rothfuss.
The prose is pretty good and I would recommend the first book as worth reading.
Sadly, it seems that inbetween books he catches a big case of the SJW/liberal pandering and there's a large drop in quality.
Looking at his internet activity only confirms this.
Not to say the second book doesn't have any good moments, but there's just a peculiar taste the entire time you're reading it.
Then there's the third book, which doesn't show any signs of ever coming out.
If you haven't already read them I'd recommend Robin Hobb or Scott Lynch instead.

>Scott Lynch
the gentlemen bastard series also caught a case of going from coming soon to is it coming at all

Yeah but Scott Lynch's books work pretty well on their own, unlike the books from Patrick Rothfuss.
Also, they're better books so even if the series is never completed I'd take it over a finished 'Kingkiller Chronicle'.

im just bitter because i literally got finished with the last bastards book yesterday and expected more out. i hate reading a series thats being written. im looking at you jordan and martin

Maybe they don't know scientifically what an exact nerve is, but refer to any physical sensation as nerves in the generic sense.

That's something I like about Robin Hobb.
Technically she's like 15 books into a single series, but she splits it into complete trilogies so you could finish at any one of them and feel like the story is complete.

Okay. That doesn't answer the question at all.

Yeah the way Dena is basically just a giant waste of space/trouble in Wise Man's Fear and Kvothe keeps chasing her. What the fuck has she even done that's so amazing anyway? I havw to wonder what Rothfuss' wife is like and what his experience is with women in general. Seems like the kind of guy who married the first girl willing to fuck him.

how the fuck did saruman know pipeweed affects mental capacity

>The study of the nervous system dates back to ancient Egypt

Regardless of if he "understood" it in the way we may or may not, the general knowledge or idea was more than likely available to him. So since we're assigning real time periods in fiction meant to be escapism, take that with a grain of salt.

Still, it does sort of jolt you out of the movie for a split second, so the fault lies with P.J. It was cut in the theatrical version anyway, so clearly he thought people who had the will and the want to watch an Extended cut wouldn't care about it and just enjoy watching the characters interact.

Clearly not.

underrated

underrated

Why wouldn't he?
>Nerves are large enough to have been recognized by the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans
-Finger S (2001). "Ch. 1: The brain in antiquity". Origins of neuroscience: a history of explorations into brain function. Oxford Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0-19-514694-3.

Uruk-Hai were corrupted men born of black magic and orc DNA or some shit.

They had the knowledge of men, clearly that one had some intelligence about a papyrus that lists food and how overpriced it is.

>bbbbut guys dena is like totally a spy n shit now
>thats why kvothe likes her
You can tell that he hasn't left the virgin mindset yet, his wife probably fucks him once a year and spends a lot of time with 'work friends'.
Patrick, like Stephen King, has great prose but shit plot writing skills.
At least Kings books are comfy though.

Orc restaurants are fucking GOAT tier

menus have existed for over 1000 years. lotr is basically the middle ages so it's not too crazy

they used to be

then meat was taken off the menu

Is that good? I've never eaten goat before.

you fucker

Yeah, Wise Man's Fear was some cuck shit, even if it had some great parts too like the confrontation with the bandits where Kvothe does MAXIMUM MALFEASANCE. The whole secrat society of strong enlightened Swedes who don't need no man was fucking dreadful. The test was interesting but man it was a frustrating read. The Fae bullshit though was perhaps the worst. Rothfuss is great at writing some surprisingly down to earth female characters and wise older men but when he tries to make someone quirky or tragic it is never endearing and just seems hacky. Dena and Kvothe are just really awful characters.

tastes like farm

I heard they put it back on again.

You know what, I won't mind if theres a shitty LotR remake soon, so long as Orcposting comes back in full force

I'm waiting for a sequels trilogy 2bh

Is he more powerful than vivec and Tiber septim?

He would become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

How did Wormtongue not notice the signs of a ten-thousand strong army amassing outside until he happened to walk out onto the balcony?

He's a master of Dwarf Fortress, of course he does

He said, "Meat's back on the men, you boys."

Middle earth is a small place. The orcs were only a day hike away.

How did Saruman not think that tearing down the trees would piss off the ents?

I mean, he knew they were there, right?

>less than 2 dozen Ents bring down the war machine of Isengard
Don't fuck with an Ent I guess.

this may be the first ever post on Cred Forums to have academic citations

Uhh, I must have missed the part where they revealed that Gimli was Egyptian, Greek, or Roman?

They had the advantage of attacking when Saruman's army was away.

You're missing the point. If people in those times understood the nervous system, there's no reason why people who are based on a medieval civilization wouldn't.

People give the civilizations of the past far too little credit when it comes to intelligence.

Please provide context, I haven't seen the movie. I'm totally serious.

Like Pearl Harbor.

This user explained it best:

Yeah but we did that on purpose so we wouldn't lose the ships we didn't want to lose.

In the Ents case it was just good timing.

youtube.com/watch?v=ypZLnDaqo1M

The line was, I think "Me axe's stuck in his durned brain stem. Orcs 'ave got no need for such heavy thinking if you ask me."

good suggestions, I'd also recommend joe abercrombie's series, 6 books and I'd actually say the quality improves as it goes along

The line was

>What's he got to be nervous about? Orcs don't have nae nervous system!

Because it's garbage for kids.
Just like the books.

No, he says "he's twitching because my axe is embedded in his nervous system"

Which is true, it fucks with signals. People back then didn't know the exact scientific reason why it happened, but they knew the two were correlated.

>Not providing the entire pasta
Getting lazy Quentin

>Count of Monte Cristo
>god tier

I'm able to accept the rest of the list's bullshit because of that. My favorite book by far, read it at least a dozen times.

no, they weren't. They were literal piles of mud that gained form through magic.

Great list, I'd argue that Brothers Karamazov needs to be lower however, down with C.S Lewis I think. In the unlisted tier.
Christian thinking is the most overrated thing we have in existence today.

Oh, and where's the Ayn Rand? She's a really empowering authoress.

Atlas Shrugged is my favourite book after The Denial of Death.

Saruman can't create life, all he does is corrupt shit that's already alive like Melkor and Sauron have to

The timeline for discoveries was not the same as our reality, because it's not our reality.

>Oh, and where's the Ayn Rand? She's a really empowering authoress.
Dear lord no. I couldn't stand her crap even before I disagreed with her.

Ayn Rand died living on welfare

I'm a big fan of Richard Dawkins. Have you read his most recent work, Brief Candle in the Dark?
I'm mucking about. That tier list is nonsense, as usual.
So did Van Gogh.
Doesn't cancel out their brilliance though.

It sort of does when their material argues against the institution of welfare

Not really. By this logic, because she was against government ownership of public utilities, like roads, power stations, she wouldn't be able to use those either. It would be like if a slave were opposed to slavery, they would refuse any food given to them by their masters. She almost certainly paid much more in to Social Security than she took out.

We knew about the nervous system before pendulum clocks were invented

for you

lol no, and yes hypocrisy is still hypocrisy regardless of how omnipresent the things you're railing against are.

A character literally says the words "Saruman is breeding Orcs with Goblin men." Those were the Uruk-Hai. For fucks sake

That's begging the question. I don't allow that it's hypocrisy. I extended your argument to an instance that would not be considered hypocrisy by just about anybody.

The example again, suppose you were enslaved and were against being supported by a slave owner. Would it be hypocritical to accept food from this owner? Do you approve of slavery, and if you don't, would you not accept food in that circumstance?

>deliberately butt fuck the neighboring forest people
>send entire army away
>while a force of giants sits at your doorstep just waiting to discover how bad you fucked them until they attack
>literally not just leaving a garrison of a few hundred in case that happens

>helms deep
>besieging castle
>literally not a single a scout to warn you if Rohan decides to suddenly fuck you in the asshole

Don't even get me god damn started as to why Mt. Doom isn't more heavily guarded than the Cheyenne Mt. Complex at all times. I love the story but villains being utterly incompetent so the heros can win really spits on my dick

>I extended your argument to an instance that would not be considered hypocrisy by just about anybody.

No, you just created an instance that YOU declared is not hypocrisy, even though it is. You do't speak for anybody, much less "just about anybody". Hypocrisy is innate in its nature, it's not a moving goalpost.

>YOU declared is not hypocrisy
Where did I do that? How is it hypocrisy? You didn't answer my question.

>The example again, suppose you were enslaved and were against being supported by a slave owner. Would it be hypocritical to accept food from this owner? Do you approve of slavery, and if you don't, would you not accept food in that circumstance?

False syllogism, unless you believe food can only come as a result of slavery. I would accept food because I biologically need that to survive. I could eat food as a free man too.

My moral opinions on slavery have nothing to do with a biological need that is in no way intrinsically tied to it, and food isn't an artificial economic construct like welfare.

>False syllogism, unless you believe food can only come as a result of slavery.
In that context, it would be.

>I could eat food as a free man too.
I assumed you were enslaved, and therefore you could not eat food as as free man because you wouldn't be one.

>food isn't an artificial economic construct like welfare.
Therefore, what? How does it follow that you can accept food, but not welfare?

>In that context, it would be.
Yes- the context you're trying to push

>I assumed you were enslaved, and therefore you could not eat food as as free man because you wouldn't be one.
but that's situational, not intrinsic. And even then, yes I could eat bugs or hunt things in the field in theory. Regardless that's irrelevant, because you're still trying to create this false tie that food and slavery are intrinsically linked.

>Therefore, what? How does it follow that you can accept food, but not welfare?
One's biological and devoid of ideals. It's a basic necessity of survival.
One (Wellfare) you can accept, decline, or ignore regardless of any innate human condition. If you're really going to push this false equivalency you're hopeless. Rand didn't have to accept welfare. Peasants in the middle ages didn't have access to it to survive.

>Yes- the context you're trying to push
Therefore, what?

>but that's situational, not intrinsic.
And we have the real situation where people are forced to contribute to SS.

>Regardless that's irrelevant, because you're still trying to create this false tie that food and slavery are intrinsically linked.
How was I doing that?

>One's biological and devoid of ideals.
How is something that's biological devoid of ideals?

>It's a basic necessity of survival.
So what? Plenty of people sacrifice their survival for a higher purpose, and the choice not to do so could be hypocritical as well.

>One (Wellfare) you can accept, decline, or ignore regardless of any innate human condition.
As difficult as this is to believe, some people at some points in their life are incapable of survival except on welfare, so it's either accepting that or starving.

>If you're really going to push this false equivalency you're hopeless
Comments such as whether or not I'm hopeless are irrelevant.

> Rand didn't have to accept welfare.
Suppose it were necessary for survival? What then? Are you assuming this wasn't the case?

>Peasants in the middle ages didn't have access to it to survive.
And they mostly died before they reached her age. SS could have been necessary for survival for her in her case.

You also never really established what are the conditions for hypocrisy that have been met here.

My sides

Rek'd the fuck out of anyone planning to post
>citation required