Why is this film so perfect?

Why is this film so perfect?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hKHacW8FF6I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it's a million different works that were succesful all mashed together.

woaw

/thread

>the action sequences are, after stealing it from max payne, one of a kind and even mocked by multiple instances.

>Morpheus being a glorified exposition machine when he's not being a damsel in distress
>Trinity in charge of lame romance and tits service
>secondary characters are all cheap devices if not background noise
>everyone act as retarded or incompetent as possible to ensure that the "plot" of this movie can keep going

There's something about this movie that simply burns its fanbase's brain cells.

You could say the same about Star Wars. This movie just nailed being that one popular blockbuster that was fascinating just enough.

You're not going to get a reading of Simulation and Simulacra out of it, but on its own terms its fun and engaging enough to warrant it not being shit.

If we're talking about the prequels then yes. The Matrix is so fucking padded with exposition while taking itself way too seriously for all the pants on head retarded shit it pulls.

>If we're talking about the prequels then yes
I'm not. The original Star Wars is hardly as deep as you think it is, or not loaded with exposition that's really there. They have to nail down the force exists, there's a back story larger than the film itself, and there's a lived in setting.

That requires a lot of exposition. It's about the same, and both A New Hope and The Matrix work for similar reasons, they're what a blockbuster really should aim to be.

Let's not pretend they're smart, but let's not make it retarded.

Really, you should compare the Matrix sequels more to the Star Wars Prequels.

>The Matrix is so fucking padded with exposition while taking itself way too seriously for all the pants on head retarded shit it pulls.

The exposition is such that it becomes entertainment itself to the viewer, especially at the time. It's old now, but the idea of "OH SHIT WE'RE IN VIRTUAL REALITY RULED BY AN AI" sure was done in cheap novels before and Philip K Dick paperbacks, but not really ever on film at that level with that art direction.

You need to know why something is entertaining in its context.

>perfect
ha.

Why the fuck was Neo flying like superman in the ending monologue?

I'm 27 now and still haven't seen the Matrix. Is it outdated by now or should I watch it some time?

matrix is timeless

yea, suuuuuuure

Regress back to 1999. You haven't been on the internet for years, and hadn't heard of much of these ideas, or were introduced to these tropes, or even the kind of green artsy filming style, or even martial arts. The Prodigy was still in, for about that whole year in 1999 before that ended. Marilyn Manson still offended moms, Columbine just happened. The X-Files was still on air but everyone was going "ehhhh" on it.

I would say the first one is.

Ghost in the Shell has better writing, and was a large part of the inspiration behind the Matrix.
John Wick is a better action movie, and still stars Keanu Reeves.

So the Matrix is a bit redundant now, same way Fury Road took some of the punch out of Road Warrior.
Does that mean it's bad or you shouldn't watch it? No, but it's not alone in its niche at this point. You've probably already seen related works before.

it didn't matter if he was flying or shooting lasers from his eyes. it was symbolic that he's a badass now

define perfect

Could have done it in any number of superior ways.
Hence, "not perfect"

great premise
great action scenes
great style/costumes
great action scenes
great music
great action scenes

After being shot by smith, he neo , a predestined code was triggered to execute a program which could not only see the matrix but also fight against malicious code in it. Neo was the antivirus to the the virus spelled out in an easy way. Stupid as fuck.

>it was symbolic that he's a badass now

What the ending promised: trench coat cyber shaolin monk badass

What we got
Cyber jesus

an unimproveable object or progress

MR. ANDERSON

Anything in the sequels that even marginally redeems them?
Virus has a terrible reputation, but the robot designs made it watchable for me. Anything like that worth sticking them out for?

Prime Monica Bellucci and her tits

They still had that art style of "oh fuck you come on that's too complicated looking to work come on please that's ridiculous but I'll believe it" to them

It's still neat.

Small, defined scope.

The merovingian and Morpheus shooting and cutting a truck in half with a sword.
I don't regret watching the sequels or the Animatrix, but they don't have the same impact.

it was perfect back then

>went to the movie
>and the returning for some fresh downloaded napster songs
fuck you metallica

>mfw imagining the movies without the penis inspections and showers

It was just so lonely. I don't mind paying almost twice as much for the extra servicing.

Memember the 90s? I love the 90s

I really liked the action scenes in Reloaded apart from that CGI smith shit fest, the film has a strong opening too. There's some good story stuff but when you think about it as a whole it's not so good, because the first movie felt like a standalone film they twisted things to make it a trilogy and it ruined it.

philosphy in an action movie, and you can take the film as a singular story, even though the sequels exist, because it was written to be one film

Just read Dune you uncultured hack.

dune isn't science fiction

You're right. It's pure philosophy within a space fantasy metaphor.

>You need to know why something is entertaining in its context.

Fucking this

Nostalgia Critic changed my perspective on the film.

youtube.com/watch?v=hKHacW8FF6I

I can still enjoy it for what it is, but it's not really a good film, and knowing that it was heavily inspired by BDSM fetishism kind of ruins it a bit.

>knowing that it was heavily inspired by BDSM fetishism kind of ruins it a bit
...did you not pick up on that by yourself? The second movie pretty much opens with a leather-orgy

It's timing was perfect, the level at which CGI was at was perfect for it, if it was made now with the CGI technology we have now I think it would suck

>knowing that a movie is based on a fetish kills the movie for me

And yet you post on Cred Forums

W H A T · I S · T H E · M A T R I X ? · F O L L O W · T H E · W H I T E · R A B B I T · Y O U · A R E · M Y · P E R S O N A L · J E S U S · C H R I S T · Y O U · N E E D · T O · U N P L U G · W H A T · I S · R E A L ? · O U R · W A Y · O R · T H E · H I G H W A Y · I · T H O U G H T · Y O U · W E R E · A · M A N · W H A T · G O O D · I S · A · P H O N E C A L L · I F · Y O U · A R E · U N A B L E · T O · S P E A K ? · W H E N · Y O U · A R E · R E A D Y · Y O U · W I L L · N O T · N E E D · T O · D O D G E · B U L L E T S · T H E R E · I S · A · D I F F E R E N C E · B E T W E E N · K N O W I N G · T H E · P A T H · A N D · W A L K I N G · T H E · P A T H · T H E R E · I S · N O · S P O O N · M I S T E R · A N D E R S O N · W E L C O M E · B A C K · C O O K I E S · N E E D · L O V E · D O D G E · T H I S · F O R · Z I O N ! · R E D · P I L L · B L U E · P I L L · N O T · L I K E · T H I S · N O T · L I K E · T H I S · I · K N O W · K U N G · F U · I F · Y O U · A R E · K I L L E D · I N · T H E · M A T R I X · Y O U · D I E · H E R E ? · D O · Y O U · T H I N K · T H A T · T H A T · I S · A I R · T H A T · Y O U · A R E · B R E A T H I N G ? · T R I N I T Y · H E L P ! · W H O A · N E O · I · B E L I E V E · S I R · W E · A L R E A D Y · L O S T · T H E · D O C K · W E · H A V E · B E C O M E · E X C E E D I N G L Y · E F F I C I E N T · A T · I T · T O N I G H T · L E T · U S · S H A K E · T H I S · C A V E · E R G O · Y O U · H A V E · A L R E A D Y · M A D E · T H E · C H O I C E · I · H A V E · D R E A M E D · A · D R E A M · B U T · N O W · T H A T · D R E A M · I S · G O N E · F R O M · M E · V I S · À · V I S · W H Y · M I S T E R · A N D E R S O N · W H Y ? · W H A T · D O · Y O U · T H I N K · I · A M · H U M A N ? · N E O · W H E R E V E R · Y O U · A R E · T H A N K · Y O U

Is this the story behind all the Ones?

I totally even forgot a One was. Is it picked at random? Is there some predisposition to being "susceptible" to the code? Is the external code that activates when a person dies, or is the person the code? Are the Ones actual human beans or just humans created by the Matrix?

Which leads me to yet ANOTHER question: how did the robots create more humans? Like what the fuck? If you fuck in the Matrix how do you become real in the real world? Or do they have some weird harem where real life humans fuck all day and all night and when they plug the baby into the Matrix, they assign it to parents that "fucked" inside the Matrix?

Fuck I've forgotten like everything from the second two movies I guess. Do they even touch on those subjects?

I think you mean Simulacra and Simulation. It's clear that you haven't read it, so why do think you have the authority to make such a statement?

#1 most important reason to why the matrix is so good: IT TAKES ITS FUCKING TIME! You're 45 minutes into the movie before Neo gets out of the matrix. Everything before then is just building up these layers of unreality, fucks with the audience's expectations, and keep you off guard with that's really happening. Its also well directed, there are so many great shots and scene transitions that help to establish visually a lot of the themes of the movie.

The sequels pretty much throw all that shit out of the window and the only things they really kept were the kung fu action scenes.

The entire cycle is an attempt to combat human adaptation to simulated space. A "one" pops up, they kill everyone in zion, the one sacrifices itself, then everything is back to "durr wut am code??" for a while.

At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Also you're asking how a bunch of machines artificially inseminate harvested eggs and sperm from people in full body artificial wombs.

Some really badass extended action sequences like the Chalet fight. And holy fuck the highway scene is nothing but straight action for like 20 minutes, but it works, and doesn't let itself get boring. The battle on the docks of Zion, in the last on, is also one of the coolest sci-fi action set pieces ever conceived.

Just read the ending to the third one since like I said I must have forgotten everything. That's a good theory you have. But do you think the Architect actually kept up his word that humans would have free will to exit the Matrix? I feel like that is something that couldn't happen during one of these "cycles" without breaking it.

Or unless the newly released humans become the new Zion? Then when the peace ends, the bots lock down the Matrix and the cycle of rebels vs robots/Matrix starts all over? That's actually a good way of thinking about it, user...

>Also you're asking how a bunch of machines artificially inseminate harvested eggs and sperm from people in full body artificial wombs.
Well that's a good fucking point. Should have thought about that.