Roger Ebert's rating of Stanley Kubrick movies

Fear and Desire - not reviewed

Killer’s Kiss - not reviewed

The Killing - not reviewed (Great Movies - 2012)

Paths of Glory - not reviewed (Great Movies - 2005)

Spartacus - *** - reviewed in 1991

Lolita - not reviewed

Dr. Strangelove - **** - reviewed in 1994 (Great Movies - 1999)

Dr. Strangelove DVD version - **** - reviewed in 2004

2001: A Space Odyssey - **** - reviewed in 1968 (Great Movies - 1997)

A Clockwork Orange - ** - reviewed 1972

Barry Lyndon - ***1/2 - reviewed 1975 (Great Movies - 2009)

The Shining - not reviewed (Great Movies - 2006)

Full Metal Jacket - **1/2 - reviewed 1987

Eyes Wide Shut - ***1/2 - reviewed 1999

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_uehfL60EA4
rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-killing-1956
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that weak jaw

>Spartacus better than ACO

Dr. Strangelove - ****

2001: A Space Odyssey - ****

**** stand for shit

What happened to this guy? Why does he look like that?

>4 stars rating
retarded as fuck
then again, all rating systems are retarded

you should only tell your audience: is this movie worth watching? yes or no (depending on the quality). Period.

He didn't review The Shining?

Cancer

>full metal jacket
>two stars
fucking pussy

>Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" is an ideological mess, a paranoid right-wing fantasy masquerading As an Orwellian warning. It pretends to oppose the police state and forced mind control, but all it really does is celebrate the nastiness of its hero, Alex.

Ebert seemed to have a thing about fascism returning - he gave Fight Club the same rating for more-or-less the same reasons.

for movies 5 star rating is the best, 1 to 10 scale is pointless.

roger ebert was always a huge faggot about films featuring violence against women. watch/read his review of blue velvet . .

It doesn't deserve more, pleb. If anything take a half star from it and give it to Eyes Wide Shut

really? how did he write Beyond Valley of the Dolls with that attitude.

Well he was right, wasn't he?

And he was right.

Except Alex is never celebrated.

It's his best movie.

Alex is a victim of society and sexual abuse from his parole officer and the jail guards. He was probably abused since childhood.

keine ahnung

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_uehfL60EA4

listen to this shit. he has no idea what he's talking about. rossellini read the (full) script and told david lynch "i have to play this role." afterwards, they became lovers and moved in together, this review is one of the low points of career. he has no fucking idea what he's talking about but adopts a supercilious tone and dismisses the film.

Why didn't he just wear a mask.

4 star rating literally has 10 options. fuck five star ratings

you were an alright man Roger

too bad Vincent Gallo gave you cancer

How, categorically, can you indicate to your audience that you preferred one movie over another when you both recommended them. I'd recommend someone watch Killer's Kiss and I'd recommend someone watch 2001, but it is needless to say that there is a massive difference in the quality between the two movies.

because it would be extremely painful

>Liked The Phantom Menace
>Liked Home Alone 3

into the garbage he goes.

i hate this fucker , at least he died suffering like a miserable fucking dog

THEY DIDN'T HAVE FLATTOPS IN ANCIENT ROME

the creepiest part of ebert's face is that he didn't actually have a mouth, that's literally just a piece of skin hanging off the end of his face and the darkness you're seeing in-between his lips is the fabric of his black turtleneck

Originally he rated A Clockwork Orange zero stars because it scared him too much.

seems pretty fair desu senpai

Medical stuff plus he was a beta man with a beta soul, such that he settled down with a rather fat ugly black woman later in life, who he felt very lucky to be with.

I don't want to be a total dick though. Ebert was a good film critic and the world was more interesting with him in it, although he was at his best in dialogue with Siskel in /verbal/ combat, as opposed to his large body of written reviews, which I continued to follow for some years after the S&E format shit the bed with Siskel's death.

I seem to remember a few episodes, just at the dawn of the god-awful twitter-sphere, where Ebert lashed out at people or made untoward comments, which were correctly interpreted by some as a real dude with no jaw left just not giving a fuck anymore, having an understandable lack of concern for niceties, and just telling it like it is.

The irony of your comment is that this simple "up-or-down" paradigm of film criticism is precisely what Siskel and Ebert are most strongly identified with (in addition to their more nuanced columns etc), and you don't even seem to have appreciated that.

This. The man gave a higher score to Godfather 3 than Godfather 2. Think hard about that.

Wow, what a pretentious toff.

>a beta man with a beta soul gave him cancer

?

I'm so glad that hack is dead. Literally the worst thing to happen to film criticism

Sentence based review scoring is best

Think of all the movies that were clearly much worse than these were yet got higher scores.

Paranormal Activity got 3 and a half stars, meaning it's better than Spartacus, A Clockwork Orange, and Full Metal Jacket.

>muh rating movies for what they intended to accomplish
Some people's opinions stand the test of time. Others don't have such opinions.

reminder ant-ebert posters are just jackass fans butthurt about a tweet

Or gamers triggered about him saying they're not "art".

forgot about that. based ebert desu

Well he was not quite a mop and not quite a puppet

>Paranormal Activity got 3 and a half stars
that'd better be out of ten

NOPE

I don't get why people get mad that games aren't art. There's aesthetically nice scenes, but they're just games, nothing wrong with that.

He gave The Killing "Great Movie" status.
rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-killing-1956

I feel like the author of that post started off with good intentions but then couldn't find a reasonable counter argument so put the first thing that came to his head.