What are good horror movies that are actually intense or evoke a strong atmosphere...

What are good horror movies that are actually intense or evoke a strong atmosphere, like you're watching something that you shouldn't be watching? Stuff like the first Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Phantasm movies.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KJPWZQB-C4A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

rosemary's babby

Martyrs
The Descent
Hellraiser
Antichrist

>strong atmosphere

mothman prophecies

Cemetery Man

Session 9

The first Evil Dead movie is the one horror film I really remember being terrified of as a kid. The scene where Cheryl reveals herself as a Deadite fucked me up.

Army of Darkness really disarmed me since I saw it before seeing the first movie.

The house of the devil
Kill list

Love that scene. Where she's naming the cards. Also, that pencil in the ankle...

The Witch. The raven scene really fucked with me for some reason. Plus the opening.

Martyrs is shit.

You are shit.

agreed

>Army of Darkness really disarmed me
>disarmed

The house of 1000 corpses is decent along with the evil dead remake. The original grudge and the Blair witch are good too

How come Bruce Campbell is so much hotter then when he was a young un?

The first evil dead is so perfect, so pure. I love them all though.

The first two evil deads had such amazing lighting. How did they even do it? The 2013 remake was just pitch black with flickering strobe lights like every modern horror movie out there. Thanks, 'Saw'.

Because he's just the type of guy that can make it look attractive to be out of shape.

Just watched Rob Zombie's Halloween and it creeped me out and made me feel uneasy. I forgot how brutal it is.

He's not even that out of shape. He still looks like he's got a muscular frame under a light layer of old guy fluff

He got as fit as possible for Ash vs. Evil Dead. He was pretty chubby on Burn Notice.

Doesn't look chubby at all desu

That was actually from the spinoff movie, which he lost weight for and dyed his hair so he could look younger (it was a prequel).
The Hawaiian shirts on the show cover it up a little bit, but Bruce was kind of overweight. Not even to the point where it's unhealthy, he just had a couple extra pounds on him.

Videodrome
Blair witch 1999
Ju On
Insidious trilogy
Krampus
The shining
Halloween III
Valerie and her week of wonders

I also NOPED the fuck out of the movie right around this point when I was 12 or so. I want to spin a blogpost for the room because it's relevant to the OP.

So I'm like 12 or so and mom's away for the weekend. Dad says "it's just us bachelors for the weekend" so he rents THE EVIL DEAD. It's a literal VHS with label on the side which might have been plain marker by the store, rather than a proper label. He tries setting it up for me about how it's a very violent, scary movie, but actually it's SO bloody and SO over-the-top that actually it's kind of funny. Okay, here we go.

Internally I really do start wigging out right around the time that all the women start turning. I'm not /physically/ flipping out or anything, but around the time that Bruce is attacking the one in the yellow shirt I cant take it anymore and I /am psychologically/ having a hard time, so I go upstairs and watch the fucking Muppets or some shit for like 15 minutes, but dad keeps on watching the movie, which was fine, I knew what I was getting into, he'd set it up. Eventually I realize how gay the muppets are and I come back downstairs just in time to watch Bruce flip out about that mirror...! That fucking water-mirror effect! And he went back into the cellar (why would you do that?!), the movieola setup and recall of the hokey song, which introduces a little of the "comedy" that dad had mentioned, though I was still processing. Then that stop-action animation at the end, good fuck. And then the Presence gets him in the end, I watched the whole credits. Good night son.

I never watched it again for over ten years, but the effect was indelible. Something I had not mastered. A decade later I got high and watched it alone in my dorm room, all the way through, for the first time ever. My internal experience built it up even more, and I realized something: Sarah York's scream (go to 2:50) is my all-time favorite Scream in a horror movie:

youtube.com/watch?v=KJPWZQB-C4A

Bruce should grow out his hair a bit, ala Army of Darkness.

Then they could slick it back when he is being sleazy Ash, or leave it tousled and windblown when he is being heroic Ash.

He always kind of looks like a used car salesman with his current haircut, which is fine for the character, but he has his heroic moments too.

Stay mad.

The Ring desu. It has great atmosphere.

>Like you're watching something you shouldn't be watching

Off the top of my head:
The Shining- No shit.
Videodrome- Weird and dark. Some very interesting effects and ideas.
Eraserhead- Arguably horror. Fearless and engaging as fuck. Definitely not for everybody, though.
Audition- Slow build towards some extremely disturbing content at the end. Uncomfortable throughout.
The Blair Witch Project- Drags on in some places. Still fucking great. Feels like you're watching a lost snuff film.
Man Bites Dog- Not necessarily horror, but still fits your request. Unsettling mocumentary where French filmmakers follow a hitman around while he nonchalantly kills folks.

I don't know if you would categorize it as horror, but Under the Skin was really unsettling for me. It's a consistently cold, quiet dread throughout.

Maybe that's kind of cheating though due to it's completely unconventional way of telling its story.

Society 1989