DID I HIT YOU?

DID I HIT YOU?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YmN9oHa3ZIQ
youtu.be/LBhhQozUP2U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

itt: movies that are just "alright" or "okay"

Why were short and brolin the only ones that felt like they actually were part of the movie while everyone else was clearly acting??

It seems like a lot of people really didn't like this movie and while calling it a weaker big lebowski isn't completely untrue the hazy, cloudy atmosphere and free floating story really capture the feeling of being high better than just about any movie I've ever seen. And it's really quite a sad movie too

She's gone, Doc. We lost her. She's out there, man. Gone.

exactly what i thought about this movie

Because those scenes were the only good parts of the book

The scene when he got hit with the bat in the massage parlor kills me every time.

This. I read the book before seeing the movie, so I knew what was happening, but the disjointed hazy style still works well.

I can see why a lot of people don't like it, it's almost aggressively low-key. It doesn't feel like getting high and having fun with your friends in college. It feels like smoking so much for such a long time that you don't even enjoy the high anymore, you just hate NOT being high and your brain feels like a dry sponge.

When I saw it in theaters I was kind of expecting something lighter, funnier and more substantial, so I was a bit disappointed at first. I like it a bit more every time I see it, though.

Love this song:
youtube.com/watch?v=YmN9oHa3ZIQ

She went all groovy on us. Shasta Fay Hepworth she's gone

That part is definitely the funniest part for me.

Also to anyone who didn't like it this is one of those movies you have to see at least twice, it's worth it

>MOTO PANNACAKEUUU

I think it's so awesome that PTA is willing to make a movie like this too. Half the scenes are just two people talking while the camera slowly pushes in. It's so easy to watch this movie and think, "wow this directing is so lazy" when it's actually done on purpose to create a kind of sun-baked atmosphere

This movie was so uninteresting imo. There was some cool parts and the acting was fine, but I turned it off about an hour in. I usually finish movies too, but there was just something off about this one.

Also, the Big Lebowski is my favorite movie. The comparisons are kind of unfair.

Read the book first, too, which was weird coming immediately after finishing Gravity's Rainbow. I think it's necessary to read the book if you want to comprehend the story of the film, since PTA kind of treats it closer to Pynchon's zanier novels, which aren't too coherent in terms of narrative. I can enjoy the film because I've already read its story and can just focus on the adaptation as a separate work that ties in with the novel, but I can see how others who haven't read the book can hate the film

Also PTA cut a lot of interesting shit, like JoNew's character's interest in the lost continent shit

for a movie so low-key and laid-back in atmosphere that climactic scene when Doc gets imprisoned and kills Adrian and the Nazi thug was intense as fuck. I remember sweating bullets in the theater watching that unfold after two hours of a relatively laid-back and relaxed movie. definitely need to watch this again

I've dearly loved every PTA movie (even Magnolia, good god) and this one definitely goes near the top. He must've still been riding his Joaquin high from The Master because PTA really brings something surreal out of that man.

Looking forward to Junun, I can't imagine how he'll do a documentary.

To be fair, there's supposed to be something off about it. The movie puts you in Doc's shoes, and Doc does nothing but smoke weed all day, hang out by the beach and take odd jobs. All his days just blend together in this haze of pot smoke and indifference.

So then amidst this haze, the woman hes in love with and hasn't seen in years, shows up asking him to help her with some serious trouble she's gotten herself into. He doesn't full understand, but he offers to help her anyway.

So the rest of the movie is presented in a series of messy, unorganized, barely connecting storylines since 1. Doc's stoned the whole time and 2. He doesn't really care anyway, he just wants to get back to Sashta.

I couldn't find a pic but there's a part in the movie where Doc's writing on a whiteboard all the different leads he's got and he's trying to draw lines to connect them but the board's split into 3 parts by metal dividers, so he can't quite draw the lines but he's trying to anyway.

Perfect pleb catcher.

>I didn't understand what was going on!

Should i finish it then? Or am I better off trying again in the future? It's been about a week or two.

That's your decision, i was just explaining why i think it's a movie that's worth more than a passing glance.

If youve already seen a lot of it, id just wait a while then try and watch it from the start.

Favorite scene btw

youtu.be/LBhhQozUP2U

>He doesn't really care anyway, he just wants to get back to Sashta.
That's not really true. He chooses to get back into it after Shasta comes back for Coy and Hope's sake. The incoherence is definitely a stylistic trait, but Doc has a better idea of what's going on than most people give him credit for.

On the day this opened nationwide, PTA came to Denver for the premiere and 25 lucky fans got to ride around with him on a party bus full of weed, tequila, and frozen bananas.

I got to be a part of that. Got to meet PTA and tell him how much I love him. It was awesome.

Hai? Hai? Hai? Hai? Hai? Hai? Hai?

damn, I'm jealous. Can you go into any greater detail? How was talking to PTA?

He didn't smoke any weed, but he danced to the Inherent Vice soundtrack on the bus. I didn't get to talk to him one on one for very long, and I just gushed to him about how big of a fan I am. I got a nice picture with him. A few of the other people (mostly film students) asked him specific questions about filmmaking, and he seemed pretty happy to answer them. He seemed like he was happy to be there with us and came off as really down to earth and chill. He's my #1 favorite director, so getting to meet him under such crazy circumstances made it one of the cooler experiences of my life.