Because I'm a fan boy, and I've waited for this story since it's initial announcement...

Because I'm a fan boy, and I've waited for this story since it's initial announcement, I actually thought this movie was pretty great.

Accept the fact that it isn't Citizen Kane, and let yourself be entertained.

Did /tv like it?

What a waste of resources. I didn't mind the last one because James Woods can carry pretty much anything but I don't see this being worth the time.

It's better.

Advent Children>Kingsglaive>Spirits Within

>JUST TURN UR BRAIN OFF
>HAVE SOME FUN
>IT'S NOT CITIZEN KANE SO WHAT

is it accessible if I dont know anything about final fantasy? or do I need to have played the trillion games and read the billion spin off mangas to know whats going on?

This story barely makes sense to people who've followed this game for years, but more due to very poor world building.

So you can keep watching and if you feel disconnected with the action, that's not a result of your ignorance of the series, which wouldn't help you at all.

It's good as a 2 hour intro cutscene for the game, but bad as a stand alone movie. It does look incredible though.

It's a new story, so you're fine.

All Final Fantasies build off core themes, but each installment is a new story.

>What a waste of resources
This. I hope this movie was much, much cheaper to make than it looks because I don't think it could possibly recoup its investment.

Yeah, so what?

>It's good as a 2 hour intro cutscene for the game
Not really. Watch the CGI that's been produced for this game so far and there's a world of difference in quality.

>I actually thought this movie was pretty great.
>Because I'm a fanboy
Say no more. But even a fanboy should recognize that they could have done a much, much better job and it's perhaps not so much a waste of potential, but a waste of resources.

I Thought the story was exciting, the film was very detailed, and engrossing, perfect cast, stunning sound design. . . I'm not sure what /tv expects from a movie like this.

It is exactly as advertised.

What video game film did this sort of tie-in-movie better?

all of the ones that don't exist

>I'm not sure what /tv expects from a movie like this.
That doesn't make it a good movie.

>It is exactly as advertised.
As opposed to when? Like when trailers lie to audiences? Do advertisements for Adam Sandler films lie to audiences?

>What video game film did this sort of tie-in-movie better?
Maybe one of the Resident Evil movies. Video game movies are consistently such fucking schlock that it's not even a question of saying which one are better. People actually like the Prince of Persia movie, even though it's probably uninteresting because of how competent and generic it is, as opposed to the usual cinematic disaster that video game movies are.

When I watch this, I don't think of a "video game movie," or a "Final Fantasy movie," or as a vehicle to give exposition for FFXV, or even something to build up hype for a game that has a very good chance of sucking. I watch it as a movie, and in just about every respect, even the visuals, this movie was awful. I don't see how anyone who goes on Cred Forums daily to shit on recent releases, (often rightly), could somehow say they like this movie.

Advent children was better desu

Don't make the mistake of thinking you're the only person with an opinion.

>That doesn't make it a good movie
I didn't say that, I'm saying to check your expectations. As I said, it isn't Citizen Kane, it's a high-concept fantasy film. That entails elements of sci-fi, and magic; It's about sorcerers, and crystals, not a compelling character drama. So understand what your watching before you criticize it.

>Like when trailers lied to audiences?
This is not the point of my statement. This movie is a film for fans of Final Fantasy to get involved with the new story in an exciting way. It isn't a movie for middle-aged women who like to watch Oprah re-runs. It's for people like me and the millions of others FF fans out there who enjoy Square Enix's unique style of story telling. If that's not your thing, then don't buy a ticket expecting Citizen Kane because you >watch it as a movie

>Maybe one of the Resident Evil movies.
Your opinion. And my opinion is that this is a good movie.

Don't pretend to be a critic when you cannot separate expectation from your movie experience. And do not pretend you are the only person with an opinion.

Because there are so many movies that come out now-a-days, it is very important to understand what the movie is trying to accomplish before you attempt to criticize it. FF Kingsglaive accomplished exactly what it attempted to do in a polished and enjoyable way. 9/10

There just really bad films imo. I think Kingslaive is more comprehensible, especially to those who aren't familiar with the underlying property.

Of course, people might be natrually more interested in the characters because of nostalgia, but taken alone, Kingsliave is a better film overall. Also, nobody's memories of the game can be ruined with Kingslaive.

>Don't make the mistake of thinking you're the only person with an opinion.
Oh, fuck off. If me saying things you disagree with triggers you so much, just imagine I have IMO next to everything I say.

>I'm saying to check your expectations.
I expected a decent movie that could stand on its own independent of its connection to another product or my affinity to the franchise.

>Citizen Kane
Would you stop using that asinine comparison? I see movies all the fucking time without that expectation. I actually expected it to be bad, merely because that's what I've experienced with Spirits Within and Advent Children. It didn't color my experience, but I got what I expected, maybe slightly better.

>And my opinion is that this is a good movie.
You said several times from a particular perspective, specifically Final Fantasy fans. Independent of that, is it a good movie.

> you cannot separate expectation from your movie experience.
Holy fuck, you didn't come close to proving I had some expectation. You're the one who doesn't seem to be able to separate judging this from your fanboyism, which, assuming if you're OP, you outright said. You have something fucking nerve telling me that I can't separate my expectations.

>And do not pretend you are the only person with an opinion.
Wasn't doing that.

> it is very important to understand what the movie is trying to accomplish before you attempt to criticize it.
So I guess by that standard, Adam Sandler films accomplish exactly what they're trying to do as well, correct?

Pearls before swine.
I enjoyed the movie, I'm truly sorry you couldn't.

But seriously, don't do that "Don't expect Citizen Kane" shit.