So I just finished marathoning the LOTR trilogy, and I don't understand why they didn't just ride the Eagles to Mt...

So I just finished marathoning the LOTR trilogy, and I don't understand why they didn't just ride the Eagles to Mt. Doom? It seems like it would make way more sense than huffing it all the way across Middle Earth while trying to avoid Sauran's army.

The Eagles aren't a bunch of dumb animals or pets they can just decide ride around on like a fucking donkey. They have their own shit going on and only do favours for people like Gandalf because they go way back.

But they didn't even ask them for help.

The eagles are cunts

>So I just finished marathoning the LOTR trilogy
sure you did, phoneposter

Because they would have told them to fuck off.

I always figured it was cos Sauron had shit in the air too and they would have ended up fighting flying orcs, sure they can fly to Mt Doom on their own but with frodo they'd be a target, so they snuck along on the ground.

I myself as a woman do not understand this either. Like wtf why didn't they just take a car lol

This. Gwaihir the Windlord is not a fucking Taxi service.

Also Sauron had decent antiAir and Gandalf wanted to sneak the ring in.

Also remember Gandalf is big time Jew and what he looks like he's up to is usually just a cover for his actual plans. The Fellowship took down Saruman and impeached the stewards of Gondor along the way among many other things that cleaned the world up.

People lways bring this eagles shit up as if Plan A wasn't ridiculously successful.

but they always have time to join in the epic final battle tho

They're literally America. Let someone else do all the leg work then swoop in at the last minute to claim the glory.

Anti Air missiles, deactivated when Sauron was defeated.

Honestly this is a big plot hole.
And to everyone who says that the eagles would've been spotted, why did nobody spot the eagles when they actually did go to mount doom? Sure, by the time they got there Sauron was kill, but they probably had set out days before that and nobody noticed them.
It would've clearly been easier to use the eagles/ask the eagles for help.
If they were willing to go rescue some hobbit from a crumbling Mt Doom, surely they would've been able to assist in ending Sauron.

>Allegory

IT'S A HISTORICAL ACCOUNT BY FRODO REEEEEEEE

THE EAGLES ARE SERVANTS OF MANWE

THEY ONLY DO HIS BIDDING

THE VALAR, OF WHICH MANWE IS ONE, WERE SPECIFICALLY TOLD NOT TO DIRECTLY INTERFERE WITH THE AFFAIRS OF MEN AND ELVES

THE ONLY REASON THE EAGLES WILL HELP GANDALF IS BECAUSE HE IS ONE OF MANWES MAIAR

why does saving Frodo's live not count as "directly interfering"?
If the eagles could help Gandalf after, why couldn't they do it before?

Why didn't Smauron just put a steel door with a magical lock at the entrance?

because the war was already won

whether or not frodo survived, the major event had already transpired, sauron was already defeated

saving frodo and sam was just a courtesy, it had no impact on the outcome of the actual event

>implying proud, majestic eagles would help subhuman hairy-footed carrot-thieving manlets

Scouring the shire was not punishment enough.

like how when sam gets too close to the edge and takes a little tumble off the cliff I would rewind and watch that two second clip at least 50 times

beating up sauron would've been a courtesy too

one that would alter the outcome of the whole struggle

how dense are you

the eagles dont care too much about Middle earth and they can always fuck off to another continent. Yeah people always forget that middle earth is a continent not the entire planet

hubris
every person who takes the ring eventually covets it for them-self or becomes sauron's slave. He thinks the fellowship are out to try and use the ring's power themselves. It was inconceivable to him that anyone would try to destroy it.

Sauron got beat up by a dog in the silmarillion

I feel like that's a cop-out answer.
How did they know Frodo wouldn't become a blood thirsty tyrant who would go on to enslave and exploit the inhabitants of the shire?
What if Aragorn killed himself after hearing of Frodo's death?
Saving him would definitely impact on the world, regardless of whether it would've been small or large.

a magic talking dog

thats all irrelevant, with the death of sauron the forces of the west will forever withdraw from middle earth - noldor, eagles, maiar, everyone. after him all thats left is the mortal races and what few elves decide to stay

until dagor dagorath, the valar will have nothing to do with middle earth again

The eagles helped out Bilbo who went on to take the ring and pass it to Frodo who eventually destroyed it.
If they do have these strict rules, they're not very strict when it comes to respecting them.

Where is it written that the eagles were told not to directly interfere?
Silmarillion?

Why are the Valar such cunts?

>be Sauron
>see a bunch of eagles flying towards Mt Doom
>use gigantic fiery eye on top of tower to shoot them down with fiery laser beams

That's why. You don't notice ants walking under your feet, but a giant eagle will grab your attention.

but the eagles did fly to mount doom and nothing happened to them

It has been pointed out by several observers that the entire War of the Ring could have been over almost as quickly as it began if only Gandalf had requested that Gwaihir simply take the ring himself and delivered it to Mount Doom to have it destroyed. This is not a reasonable possibility. Mordor was extremely well guarded and Sauron had many spies. Attempting this would have resulted in the ring being delivered into the hands of Sauron. It has nothing to do with how high the Eagles could fly (their Aeries were on the Peaks of the Misty Mountains, which were between 5,000 and 8,000 meters in height), or their willingness to take anyone (as noted in Book 6, Chapter 4 of The Lord of the Rings: The field of Cormallen, when Gwaihir says to Gandalf in response to his request to rescue Frodo: 'I would bear you," answered Gwahir 'whither you wished even if you were made of stone.' (it should be pointed out that prior references to "tidings" vs "burdens" use the term "bear," which derives from the Old English Barun, meaning "to carry a heavy burden" - Gwaihir at that point was referring not to his unwillingness to carry Gandalf, or his inability to fly with him on his back), but simply due to the fact it is a bad idea. In addition to Mordor being well guarded. The One Ring must be dropped, not into Mount Doom itself, but into the Cracks of Doom. An Eagle flying towards Mordor could have tipped Sauron to this plan, where he would have ordered the Cracks of Doom sealed, and waited outside it on the slopes of Mount Doom with an army of a half million Orcs, tens of thousands of Easterlings, Haradrim, and Black Númenóreans, and nine Nazgûl awaiting the arrival of his precious ring.

They could have just flown them over Moria and the fellowship wouldnt have been broken