Just watched this. What the fuck was that ending?

Just watched this. What the fuck was that ending?

Other urls found in this thread:

mulholland-drive.net/home.htm
www2.ubishops.ca/baudrillardstudies/vol1_2/genosko.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like the bit where they lez out

I popped a boner too. I loved Naomi Watts in this, she's such a qt.

So this old hollywood lezzer is dryingout from booze & pills in detox, jitterbugging as they say; like the old people dancing at the beginning; and she's reliving her life in fantasy, obe where she isnt the old used up lezzy whore nobody wants because she smelks like fish & vodka.

what a genius!

That shines a bit more sense to things. I was convinced it was just unintelligible nonsense deliberately made to confuse the viewer.

>sunset boulevard on lsd

There u go

not OP but what Lynch should I watch next lads?

I've seen this and Wild at Heart

watch it a second time, it will click into place

or you can just visit this website:
mulholland-drive.net/home.htm

It was created by RTers back during the golden age of the Rotten Tomatoes forums, good times

I second this. Popped my Lynch cherry with this one too. Just queue'd Lost Highway, seemed like the next logical choice.

is wild at heart worth a watch?

It's one of Lynch's lesser films IMO, but everything he has directed is worth watching at least once

I really enjoyed it

but I usually enjoy Nicolas Cage in most things

it was a lot more conventional than Mulholland Dr. in the way it was told anyway

it's also worth it for Willem Dafoe and Laura Dern being hot

You are an idiot. This movie is not hard to understand.

>implying
anyone who goes in expecting something more conventional would easily be blindsided by it, regardless of how simple it seems once you figure it out

essentially this

think a lindsay lohan type flashbacking her life if she hadn't pumped opiate vitriol and crocodile blood into her bloodstream and aged four hundred years. the first half is her fantasy, filled with surreal moments because its not reality. the second is the reality shes actually faced with, which is why she kills herself

Can everyone saying it's easy to understand please explain what the black book of numbers was. Why would she dream that up? In fact, why would she dream up everything not related to her?

It was a list of actress's numbers, right? So the people hunting Rita could have wanted to use it to track her. That's just my guess.

It fits in to her seeing Hollywood as a giant conspiracy, which she fantasizes is what is keeping her from being a successful actress

Why does she dream that she runs away to help Rita, rather than stay with the director who was clearly infatuated by her.

In her dream their roles are switched. In real life, Camilla helps her get parts in her films out of pity, which she resents. So in the dream world, she is Camilla's (or rather Rita's) protector and benefactor. It's role reversal wish fulfillment

In the dream she's headed for success regardless, and besides the director has to choose that one girl because of the conspiracy

Alright. So where does the guy fainting/dying from seeing the monster come into play? Why did she bother dreaming of the cops looking at the wreckage if they never show up again?

Out of interest, is the person that goes to sleep at the very beginning meant to be Lynch? Dreaming up the film?

>Alright. So where does the guy fainting/dying from seeing the monster come into play? Why did she bother dreaming of the cops looking at the wreckage if they never show up again?
That stuff doesn't really fit into anything, rather they are leftovers from the TV pilot. Mulholland Dr was originally envisioned and filmed as a television series, and those characters would have been members of the ensemble cast. The guy having weird dreams, the cops investigating shit, all of those would have been fleshed out in a full series.

>Out of interest, is the person that goes to sleep at the very beginning meant to be Lynch? Dreaming up the film?
That would be Diane, who becomes Betty in her dream

>Why did she bother dreaming of the cops looking at the wreckage if they never show up again?

Because the first 3/4 of the movie was filmed as a fucking pilot for a TV series that never came to be. It was just setting up the plot for shit that would have happened had this become a full fledged series.

>you just dont get it, i get it because i am smart
>dont ask me to explain it because wont get it

EVERY FUCKING THREAD

>That stuff doesn't really fit into anything, rather they are leftovers from the TV pilot. Mulholland Dr was originally envisioned and filmed as a television series, and those characters would have been members of the ensemble cast. The guy having weird dreams, the cops investigating shit, all of those would have been fleshed out in a full series.
Why is it acceptable to put them in the film then? Surely that's stuff the film should be criticised for? Unnecessary filler that has no resolution.

>That would be Diane, who becomes Betty in her dream
are you sure? I mean that makes sense, but I thought when I watched it there was something that suggested otherwise. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

>Why is it acceptable to put them in the film then? Surely that's stuff the film should be criticised for? Unnecessary filler that has no resolution.
You'd have to ask Lynch. There are indeed theories as to why they are in the film, which are touched upon in the site that posted. Personally I think that regardless of their purpose, they are interesting scenes and I'm glad they're in the movie.

>are you sure? I mean that makes sense, but I thought when I watched it there was something that suggested otherwise. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.
I'm 99% certain. You see her going to sleep at the beginning, and then she is woken up after opening the blue box

I thought that box sent Naomi Watts to an alternate universe or something and she killed herself because she was stuck there. The box coulb be a cursed item of that dirty witch.

What do the two old people mean?
What does the homeless person mean?
Why are there dancers in the beginning?

Daily reminder that only plebs place this higher than lost highway

>What the fuck was that ending
It's called an asspull. It happened because they didn't commission a full TV series and he had to try and recoup his losses by sticking a shitty ending onto the MD pilot.

>he thinks lost highway is better than mullholland drive

hahahahaha

Here's an interview with Baudrillard on the subject of the use of simulacra and simulation in the movie the matrix.

In the interview there's a quick reference to Mulholland Drive where by he calls it a masterpiece and a good example of the 'growing indistinction between the real and the virtual".

I believe that baudrillard would argue that there is no fantasy first half and real second half but that neither half could be considered true. That you can't pretend to create a real image because we can no longer recognize the real. Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire may be interpreted as an undermining of the verisimilitude and the illusion of the real in film.

www2.ubishops.ca/baudrillardstudies/vol1_2/genosko.htm

My dick was so fucking hard. I could probably cut diamonds with it.

Hola reddito!

How about you tell me why Lost Highway is better rather than giving a meme reply.

Blue Velvet

Then all of the rest but Lost Highway, and when you think you can appreciate his cinematic style, watch Lost Highway

This is the kind of shit that makes me want to stop coming here.

This is what happens from lynchs pov whenever he sees a homeless person

This is the only scene ever where my heart literally skipped a beat