Why does "Han shot first" trigger so many Star Wars fans? Not trolling, not memeing...

Why does "Han shot first" trigger so many Star Wars fans? Not trolling, not memeing, I seriously do not understand why there's SO MUCH buttfrustration over this change. Who gives a shit?

Ill explain.

The problem is Han Shoots first/Greedo shoots first is all bullshit

Han is the only one who shoots. Thats the problem

Greedo doesn't shoot at all.

Makes him villain status

You would have to be a literal fucking retard to miss someone at that range. It changes the scene from Han using dirty tricks to deal with a legitimate threat to him taking down a bumbling idiot who's lucky he didn't shoot himself while he was sitting down.

Anyone got the webm of the new version where Han DODGES the shot?

Character progression

Because it was an awesome introduction to Han's character, it showed he wasn't a good guy like Obi Wan or Luke, he was happy to break the rules and cheat to succeed.

Lucas changed it to some weird self defence that makes the scene not even make sense. Like he dodges Greedo's bullet somehow, then shoots? It's just a fucking retarded change because Lucas was scared kids wouldn't buy Han toys if he was a bit grey

I guess because it is the prime example of revisionism in Lucas' changes. Turning it from a ruthless defense to a coming situation into a more morally acceptable response to an active threat. Kinda changes the whole first impression of Han.

Because they're autists.
People forget that this is Lucas. There is no master plan behind the scene, no "deeper meaning". It's just the hero hitting the other guy, while the other guy completely misses. Just like in any western film ever made.

The idea that it undermines a previously complex character? Han was originally a shady person who would shot someone under the table at a bar. But then he's sorta redeemed when he chooses to help a cause greater than himself.

Also i'm pretty that George changes it out of pure spite. Like Han shooting Greedo was a battle he lost when shooting the movie

Lucas himself probably prefers han shooting first, but he changed it to appeal to kids

I dunno.

Honestly Lucas should have edited the original trilogy more like:

- Added some sheev spins in a bunch of fight scenes
- Put a gungan storyline in the middle of Empire
- Added a cgi ben kenobi force ghost in every scene after he dies just looking over Luke
- Added farting sfx in any scene on the millenium falcon
- Put an end credits scene in every movie of a camera in George Lucas' toilet where it's just him taking a massive shit while staring deeply into the camera and ends with him saying "This is what you get for being keyboard warriors about Phantom Menace, bitch"

There, much better.

Except Greedo didn't shoot and miss in the original, it's not like a western standoff at all

Star Wars fandom used to be a lot different back in the 90s until about the mid-2000s with the rise of Social media.

Before that, it was originally a cult-like following of nerds and basement dwellers who obsessed over the smallest detail. The changes in the Special Edition thus triggered them.

However after 2007 with the rise of the Smartphone and social media, Star Wars social media was hijacked by normies. As a result, such a change today would not produce any anger among the fandom. Indeed, the modern reddit-like fandom loves everything Disney churns out as long as it appeals to "muh nostalgia"

Didnt it get changed like 20 years after release?

>Lucas won't give any of his multi billion dollar fortune to his kids when he dies

JUST
U
S
T

I bet they resent him deep down, that's why Dexter Jettster exists

Greedo doesnt shoot. Only Han does go watch the despecialized

han shooting first, again, implies that han isnt the only one to shoot. which he is

Doesn't matter who shoots first. The guy has his gun out, ready to shoot, but doesn't make it because the hero is faster. Just like any western

Yes, in the special edition, when Lucas was trying to pander to the kids who loved the phantom menace and thought a character like Han wouldn't sell well if he was some ruthless grey smuggler

Implying Clint Eastwood doesnt shoot first 90% of the time

Because in the original Han just straight up murders Greedo under the table while Greedo is busy being a smug piece of shit about how he's caught Han and is going to deliver him to Jabba. This is important for Han's character, it paints him as a guy who doesn't fuck around and doesn't take any shit.

By changing it and having Greedo digitally shoot at Han before Han murders him it waters down both the scene and the character, implying Han only shot in self defense instead of just being a cold blooded killer. It also makes absolutely no sense that Greedo could've possibly missed Han from point blank range and allowed Han the chance to return fire. In short, Lucas is a gigantic hack and enormous failure.

In a western the 2 people are aware they're in a shoot off. In this case it was Han using the same dirty trick the bad guy was in order to succeed

It's a totally different situation tonally

God bless normies. Ruining losers obsessions since 2005.

Normie and proud

Because it was a stupid an unnecessary change to a movie they liked. I think inserting Han stepping and smarting off to jabba is a lot worse, but It'd be akin to colorizing old movies, just because you have the technology to do it

>not aware his in a shoot off
then why on earth would he have his gun out, pointing at Han?

Because he was going to kill him and take his body to Jabba, he didn't expect Han to be dirty enough to shoot him

How is this not a stand off? He's pointing his gun at a person he knows is armed, with the intention of killing him.

You don't monologue in stand offs

Says who? This is a classic western setup.
Two characters play cards, sitting face to face over a table. One loses/is cheated, and draws the gun - but before he's able to pull the trigger, the opponent, who expected this outcome, shoots him.

it was one of the first character defining traits of the han solo character that you are introduced to, that make him "bad ass", and i think it was the half assed way it was changed that was the biggest problem

>If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

>Says who?

It's just a typical trope, not saying it doesn't happen, but character's usually don't talk to each other while they are fighting in westerns.

monica

Han shoots greedo in cold blood. He's a asshole george zimmerman type.

>why does a hack changing something 20 years after the fact piss off fans

There was no reason to change it. What if Spielberg went back and changed Indy shooting the swordfighter to the swordfighter having a bazooka?

It was an unneeded bullshit change.

That's a great example. Also a scene in die hard that's fairly close.

youtube.com/watch?v=AApIyQK-vEQ

DEVILISH

Star Wars was always normie

Are you saying Star Wars was normie in the late 80s/early 90s, years after the last installment and years before the prequels were announced? I somehow find that hard to believe.

>most successful film of recent memory
>not normie

The issue is everyone was cool in 1990-1998

Imagine four years from now, a community obsessing over minor details in Avatar, creating fan theories and writing extended universe stories. Are these guys normies just beacuse Avatar pulled big bucks when it was released in 2009?

Are people still dressing up as blue cat people? Because they sure as fuck were dressing up as Luke, Han and Leia in the pre-sequel 90s. SW was referenced on every show ever and spawned multiple parodies like Space Balls.

Only someone born in the late-90s would dispute the popularity of SW.

Greedo had no intention of killing him. He had Han at gunpoint because he wanted to deliver him alive to Jabba the Hut. Han used a dirty trick (in the original edit he shoots the guy in cold blood from under the table) to execute the guy and get away.

People forgot about Avatar less than a year after it came out. It's really not possible to compare it to a movie that's been culturally relevant since the 1970's

Theres a difference between being aware that Star Wars exists and being a proper extended universe nerd. No way the latter was ever normal.

Literally nobody gives a shit about Avatar

> Lucas was scared kids wouldn't buy Han toys if he was a bit grey

Meanwhile the most popular and the best selling character is a misunderstood youngling killer

kek

I fucking don't get Lucas at all. It seems that he just wants to butthurt people for pleasure

>Who gives a shit?
People that care about character, that's who.

The Han shooting first shit isn't extended universe. We're not talking comic books or novelizations here, it's a change to the movie itself..

Because Star Wars fans are pretty autistic, but there's something to it. In the original cut, Greedo doesn't appear to shoot at all, and Han simply shoots him before he can get a shot in. In the special edition they added a part where Greedo shoots at Han before Han shoots him. This was supposed to make it more of a self defense case on Han's part even though it was already self defense in the first place. I think Lucas said at one point that shooting first made Han look like a cold blooded killer even though, as I said, it was still self defense because Greedo was pointing a gun at him.

Because they're Star Wars fans. Though they'd never acknowledge it their favourite films have the depth of the Twilight series. If Twilight is fantasy for people who are into romance, then Star Wars is fantasy for people who build plastic models and jerk off too much.

Star Wars is pulp fiction, no I'm not comparing it to an actual good film. Pulp fiction the genre - The kind of schlock writers would get paid a cent a word for back in the fifties.

Opinions expressed by Star Wars fans are usually done so out of insecurity. The main difference between Star Wars fans and the general population is how they react to the prequels. Most normal people can't see much of a difference. They're both just dumb space fantasy films with interesting worlds and cultures. However, a certain segment of the population feels the need to legitimize what was always dumb fun and attempt to elevate Star Wars to something it's not. Han Shot first is just a small part of that. They need to pretend it's a massively important scene, and that every detail matters, when that's clearly not the case.

Because Greedo was originally a hero meant to avenge his murdered father and his exiled family clan. Jabba was going to be a good friend and pay Greedo the Solo bounty, which would fund his war campaign against the tyrant of Rodia. Greedo was honorable and offering Solo many chances to come with him alive, and he wasn't going to risk slaying one of Jabba's prized smugglers, even if the bounty price was promised "dead or alive". But Han decided to shoot first.

The problem with Greedo shooting a milisecond before Han shoots is it looks as fucking stupid as my Greedo story.

>I'm so above this shit I took the time to write a paragraph on how I'm so above this shit on an Ethiopan knitting forum

Well I'm convinced

>Haha you're such a loser you took two minutes to write a post.

So, why are you here?

Memes are great for when you lack an original retort or any sort of retort at all other than 'people who DON'T like Star Wars are fedoras'.

Yeah but its the real nerds who get triggered by a change in a movie they already seen several times. Not that its a good change though.

Memes? I just posted a picture of you. That's all.

To point this out

Han is supposed to be an anti hero. The audience is left with the impression that han want hesitate to kill. That's part of his character. By changing it into self defense it's no different than a hero defending himself when left with no option. He goes from anti hero to just normal dude.

I know you're just getting your kicks from fans butthurt but still, defending this is embarrassing.

Cant believe they let this slide

What I don't understand is that Greedo does shoot first. If you watch the fricken dvd's it's very clear that he shoots first.

>Disney will release a new shitty movie every year but they will NEVER release the theatrical versions of the OT on Blu-ray

I wouldn't be surprised if that bitter old fuck Lucas didn't have the theatrical cuts never getting released as part of the deal when he sold.

Star Wars is the most normie thing ever

First time I saw this scene as a kid, I was honestly shocked that Han shot Greedo in cold blood.

Don't get me wrong, this was a good shock. It was such a break from the goody-two-shoes heroes I was used to. It was a real breath of fresh air, and still to this day I vividly remember how awestruck I was.