Why aren't there more casually gay characters on TV and films?

Why aren't there more casually gay characters on TV and films?

By casually gay, I mean characters who are just gay, and the show/film doesn't go through the hoops to set up how they're gay.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aYpCm9e0QKA
imdb.com/title/tt0117951/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=aYpCm9e0QKA

Because its not realistic. Real gays make sure everyone knows

probably because for most their sexual orientation isn't important to the plot at all so it never gets mentioned

two faced faggot

Bravo Vince

Because you wouldn't be able to tell a gay person from a normal person unless they are a walking homo cliche.

because the only gay people are flamboyant ones who make sure you know they are gay. havent you seen a tv show or read an internet web comic?

Because contrary to popular belief, gays, like retards, are defects that normal people would rather avoid.

Because people like that don't exist. Being gay is a mental illness, and mentally ill people almost never have just one type of mental illness.

Curious question...

How many of those 'casual gays' have you met in real life? Of the 100s maybe thousands of people you know how many of them are homosexuals that live the same life as any other person?

I bet the answer is not a lot.

Truthfully Hollywood is actually probably doing reality a service by not showing homosexuals living no different than your 50 year old Tom and Mary couple next door

this is how you can tell if a poster is a neet

Why are there gays on TV at all?
They only make up 4% of the population

But I'm not so I guess that test failed

WTF my boss just came in and he's sucking my dick now

They don't exist.
Fags lead extremely faggy and decadent lives.

Because casual gays don't exist

Because tumblr types fetishize the stereotyped and unrealistic gay person. If the character doesn't run around announcing it every 4 minutes, they're ashamed. Or the writers are trying to erase their sexuality.

Additionally, the shows want those viewers. So every gay character is a Liberace clone.

Liberace never told anyone he was gay nor was there ever any known homosexual relationships

It's a purely after-death rumour that stuck and people took as fact

I think Six Feet Under did a pretty good job though?

>100s and thousands of people you know

Pretty sure your lost there

Irrelevant to the point that that flamboyant persona is synonymous with gayness. Fact is, it's not accurate at all. Gay guys worry about the same shit as any other guy.

WTF i hate this place now your getting sucked and Im not.

Begbie wasn't gay.

Strand from Fear was alright but the fat uggo bitch from Walking kinda cancels it out.

I wish Tara's first bitch would have survived.

>implying

as close as I could think of

>Gay guys worry about the same shit as any other guy.

Like how many dicks they can fit in their mouth.

>In 2009, Robert Carlyle, who played Begbie, told a BAFTA interviewer that he played Begbie as a closeted gay man whose outbursts of violence were due to his "fear of being outed". Irvine Welsh, who wrote the movie's source novel, confirmed that he wrote the Begbie of the book to have an ambiguous sexuality, and agreed with Carlyle's interpretation of the film's version of the character.

imdb.com/title/tt0117951/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

The easy answer is if they really are "casual" about being gay, how would you know they're gay at all?
By that estimation, one out of every 25 characters on every TV show should be gay. I can't think of many shows that have fewer than 25 characters, but I can think of many, many shows that have no gay characters, let alone "casually" gay ones.
>I'm not aware of them so they don't exist
Pointing out individual cases (especially untrue ones like a few of these) don't disprove the trend. Ever heard of anecdotal evidence?

>beards

biggest numale cancer

idk ask your dad

I know more """"""casual""""" gay people (whatever the fuck that is) than the flamboyant stereotype. You should get out more.

This guy was a great character, wish he was in Eastbound a little more

>I can't think of many shows that have fewer than 25 characters

How many shows have 25 characters with actual storylines where sexuality might even come up? Your average show has 4-7 main characters. The rest are simply set pieces.

Also, warned for a post I made over a week ago? WTF is going on with this site?

If you know they're gay then they're not casual gay.

Tom Friendly from Lost was gay in a casual way. Literally every gay person I've met IRL was like that.

So by casual gay, you mean they're in the closet?

If the show is doing anything to show you the character is gay then how would you find out the character is gay?

For all you know there could be lots of gays peppered throughout every movie you've seen but there's never a scene with that character and his love interest so you don't know

Depends on what you mean by casual.

Most of the gay dudes that I know aren't part of the OVERLY flamboyant stereotype, so I'd probably call them casual, but they're still somewhat flamboyant, and you can DEFINITELY tell that they're gay right away. Honestly, the way gay people are portrayed in media is a lot closer to real life than most people would like to admit.

Except that pretty much EVERY movie has some kind of heterosexual character who does heterosexual things - maybe theyre married, they have a bikini calendar in their locker, they romance some character in the plot, whatever

You can be a casual gay and still obviously, canonically homo.

Is that Tom Hardy or the guy that freakishly looks just like him?

Yeah, Handsome Bob in Rock n Rolla.

He sucks a guy off in the sequel

I liked the movie but I can't seem to re watch it.

Nobody wants to watch a movie about a fag
Now get over it

This is true. Most gays are far from the buttoned up, life is in order gay guys you see on tv. Most are emotional basket cases and have substance abuse and promiscuity issues.