Was this released with the intention of it being a comedy...

Was this released with the intention of it being a comedy? I'm asking seriously because I thought it was a remake of the 1954 one, which was really dark and menacing. But I saw this twice in theatres, and both times the entire theatre was laughing the whole way through.
They laughed at every line of dialogue, as if it wasn't talking about a serious thing.
They laughed at Kamata-kun, they laughed when they were discussing their response options, they laughed when it cut to people sitting in chairs. The biggest one was that, when it cut to the three biologists. Both times the theatre burst into wild laughter. But if was just people sitting there.
I didn't see anything funny about it.
There were humorous shots obviously but they were mostly the prime minister and the whole "he can't walk, excuse me he's walking now" thing.
Did Anno film this as a comedic satire? I'm so fucking confused by the reactions of the masses of people in both my sold out shows.
I don't understand.
Please help me Cred Forums, I'm serious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI
comicbook.com/popculturenow/2016/10/18/shin-godzilla-extends-theatrical-run-in-north-america/
youtube.com/watch?v=mdU8dyjgXU0
youtube.com/watch?v=0TFvAW49jhE
youtube.com/watch?v=1eogtlyDg4Y
youtube.com/watch?v=TxsMY4-zMMw
youtube.com/watch?v=kRSLCABT4g0
twitter.com/FUNimation/status/785880059202723840?s=01
gifsound.com/?webm=is.Cred
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I enjoyed the Emmerich one whenever the characters that aren't Jean Reno were willing to keep their mouths shut.

is't a comedic satire of the 2011 earthquake in japan but its also a serious movie about man vs nature
its not that hard to figure out user
maybe you're just a little dense?

My theater too. I liked the movie but I don't get the joke. There were some obviously humorous parts but they weren't laugh out loud funny.

>I thought it was a remake of the 1954 one

its not

this movie was some embarrassing shit m8

They were laughing at how terrible it is

>The biggest one was that, when it cut to the three biologists. Both times the theatre burst into wild laughter. But if was just people sitting there.
A couple things about this scene. First off, those were all various Japanese directors, as I understand. So I'm sure a lot of people were just laughing at the references.

Secondly, however, that was a pretty wonderful comedic scene and it fit with the theme of the movie. The initial experts are too timid to make any judgment and aren't taking the situation seriously. The meeting is a slow waste of time that stands out as a massive waste of time in retrospect, when that time could have been spent more productively.

This is the point of the first 15 minutes or so. The fact that Godzilla is being brought up at the end of meetings, the fact that nobody is wanting to take responsibility or go beyond the established disaster protocol; Shin Godzilla is a pretty masterfully handled satire about the tsunami in 2011.

So is this the active /godzilla/ thread? I need my fix. I'm praying to God that the theaters in the city I'm going to this weekend it playing it.

So far, it says no showings. Who /wearavoid/ here?
youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI

In America, it is an unconcious response to laugh when your scarred our nervous. thats why you get people who swear up and down they thought a horror movie was funny. They laughed, and protected themselves from having to think too hard about deep or disturbing imagery by simplifying it or laughing at it.

The insane bureaucracy and the first PM's reactions to everything is the joke.
And Kamata looked goofy as fuck

I just want to show my friends this movie. Had to watch it alone last Saturday, but hopefully the theater that showed it does so again.

Nothing pops up on the map, or Fandango, so I'm worried. Only tomorrow and Friday left, they could update soon, right?

Was the jap girl that spoke engrish really supposed to come off as American?

Think of your favorite monster
Now Shin him. What's his Shin origin and is he a super adaptoid like godzilla? or is it one of his tail babies that mutated into a different monster?

Bro it got an extended run to the 22nd
comicbook.com/popculturenow/2016/10/18/shin-godzilla-extends-theatrical-run-in-north-america/

remember this is not an american movie

I'm going to see this tonight. Its the second showing in my area, so I hope all the retards went to the first showing

There are always cultural differences that get lost in translation and cause people to laugh. Its not a comedy, theres just some stuff americans didnt understand, so they laughed

I don't think they were laughing from being nervous. Sure, some scenes are "frightening" but on the whole it is a lot of bureaucrats talking.

Its probably the same reflex that comes up when a comedy is set in a foreign country and foreigners speak their language franticly, although it isn't meant to be humorous. Its as if the people watching the movie have to exclaim to themselves "Oh wow, I don't understand what they're saying, isn't this funny?" Of course, they go and whisper "Oh the ching chong see la rice" to each other

>Americans don't know how to react when their fickle cultural perceptions are challenged so they laugh instead.

Most of the audience who went to see this film in theaters was comprised of autists, so no surprise they laughed inappropriately through the whole thing. There were obviously some satirical and comedic scenes, but my theater went fucking insane at every line of dialogue.

That scene where he spews the black fume and then ignites it must have been awesome on the big screen. To the anons who have seen the movie, how does it sound? And how is the sound of his laser?

Remember that both Chinks and Gooks do more passable English in their respective cinema.
This is really only a Jap thing to mangle English this badly in professional settings.

like a high pitched ball bearing

Oh okay I can hear what you're saying. I guess it does that "zzzZZVRRRMMMzzz" sound when it gets close to the camera. Must be awesome

>Seems like most people on Cred Forums genuinely like Shin Godzilla
>Then this thread shows up

Why you got to ruin a good thing?

I was practically shitting myself when I realized what he was doing. It was fucking intense

Why you gotta be stupid, it's a valid topic of discussion because it's tackling some dark and heavy shit but the amount of people saying their showings were all laughing is insane.
I don't even want to see it anymore because so many people said that.

Like this high pitched whine that kicked in just as he rears back, its fucking awesome.

>I don't even want to see it anymore because so many people said that.
Seriously? Its a fantastic movie to watch, and most of the laughter fades out after he stands up.

>fickle cultural perceptions are challenged

or maybe they are intelligent enough to laugh at the satire and irony because they are aware of their country's own flaws and find it funny when used well in comedic timing
you know the movie also poked fun at Japan's government's inability to act fast an efficiently because of their slow long-winded process, which again was part of the comedy that commented on how their government really works.

I would much rather wait.
People shouldn't be laughing at all. What the fuck is funny about a truthful approach to real world politics dealing with a nuclear threat that could wipe out a country?
There's nothing funny about that.

I have noticed stupid people often laugh at things they don't understand, generally laughing it off as a joke is easier than admitting you're too stupid to get it.

You probably watched this in the US, and this wasn't an American movie, so it was way above your average American's mental level.

>masses of americans in theatres
>intelligent
Lmao
>it's funny because it's true
There's nothing funny about the way fucking real life meetings to make sure an entire country keeps running would be held.

Anyone have a half decent torrent link for this?

>There's nothing funny about the way fucking real life meetings

you can make anything funny, and it's subtle humor. Im not calling it a laugh out loud comedy, but it's clearly political satire

I agree that Americans overreacted and laughed, but I feel as though a general Japanese audience would also laugh.
I mean come on, when the US bombers came in and the dialogue went sort of like

"evacuate the area, the jet planes will bomb this area"
"the whole area?!"

can't properly point to that scene but it was when fully evolved Godzilla appeared and the US was going to intervene, those lines in particular should have made any person chuckle, either because they are knowledgeable of America's stereotype of them blowing up things to an extreme as a quick efficient solution (which isn't that far-fetched if you look at all the messy drone attacks they have caused in the Middle East) or because it came at a surprise to the Japanese citizens in the movie

>There's nothing funny about the way fucking real life meetings to make sure an entire country keeps running would be held.
Except for the blatantly comedic parts, you mean.

Which were far and few between. The prime minister being the main part of it. There were not enough straight comedic scenes to justify the amount of laughter some people had.

>to justify the amount of laughter some people had

maybe they just had a bad sense of humor and you were stuck with a bad audience, this asshole tried to start a slow clap int he theater I went to

>Which were far and few between.
The meeting going from one room to the other.
The (meeting shortened) message to illustrate Godzilla was at the end
The "who are you referring to" part
The "we're not sure which department this falls under"
The "lol it can't walk WAIT IT CAN WALK" parts
The OOOOOH OOOOOH ITS RADIOACTIVE
Should I keep going?

For fucks sakes the soggy noodles part is a direct jab at officials in 2011 complaining about cold food.

Of fucking course autists are overlaughing at these comedic parts, because:

A) They're smelly trenchcoats
B) They're Americans and this is a culture where laughter in theaters is socially acceptable

Not sure what you expected. Did you see The Exorcism re-release? Everyone was laughing nonstop and that's a fucking horror film.

Maybe this

>but more likely cause they were non-Japanlander speaking autists

Nah bro, go see it

>don't be swayed buy hydrocephalics who only get culture thru game controllers & smartphones

Yeah, I know, but the theater I went to us not showing anything for the 22nd.

Like I said, I'm keeping my hopes up that it updates soon. Or maybe I'll call to see if there are even intentions of showing it there.

>all that cringeworthy heavy-handed nuclear arms and abloo abloo USA allegory shit
>endless quick cuts between office rooms of ARR ROOK SAME people talking about nothing
>overacting nonsense when giving orders and making a decision
>Godzilla moving like he was straight out of a 1990s college student CGI video project
>fucking cranes being lifted into Zillas mouth while he just sat there

My theater was laughing too, OP. I don't blame them.

Its encore showings on the 22nd with daily showings through the 27th, so just keep checking the next five days bro.

My guess is that a bunch of chads saw it and laughed at the subtitles
Same shit at my theater

So, I took my GF and she was laughing half the movie. She is completely unfamiliar with Anno or any other Godzilla film, and largely unexposed to anime. She saw it as a parody of the bureaucratic process and as a cheesy monster flick. Specifically, she laughed at some of the effects, the goofy first form, the ineptitude of the politicians, and the perceived bad acting (she thought the politicians reading off reports were reading off scripts)

>The biggest one was that, when it cut to the three biologists.
Yes, it cuts from the frantic destruction of the city to a shot of 3 bored looking men who look like they're sitting in a waiting room. It's supposed to be a humorous juxtaposition to break up the scenes of terror and bureaucratic debate. Pretty much all the laughing in my theatre came from stupid shit said or done the politicians. Anno made the film partly as a parody of the Japanese government response to the 2011 tsunamis. The dismissal of warnings by experts, delayed responses to changes in situations, and the cold noodles joke were all lifted from the headlines about the event. Other things she laughed at included the engrish, back lasers, and the question of how he got grew without consuming anything.

I think most American audiences just saw "Godzilla" and saw it based off of that.

The few weeb nerds were into it and everyone else looked bored. Still better than 2014 though desu.

>P. I don't blame them.
R-i-i-i-g-g-h-t
>G movies are just that highbrow

>that picture
Fuck yes.

When I was leaving the theater I heard people say that there was too much talking
Like have any of those fucks even seen a Godzilla movie?

People keep saying this, and that the movie needed to be 15 minutes shorter, but they can never identify what scenes they would actually cut.

The movie was constantly moving at a brisk pace, and the dialogue scenes had an energy to them that never made them feel like it was just boring talking.

>Le Murica is so bad, pls upvote!

Back to rebbit with you.

I understand why people laughed, the absurdity portrayed is effective.
But when the rest of the movie is drowning in death and destruction and the fate of a country i don't think it's appropriate to laugh.
They weren't even "funny" they were literally just very human breaks from the action. I loved the movie but I wish i had seen it at home first. All the laughing really bothered me.

>people shouldn't be laughing
>at a fucking Godzilla movie
My theater laughed, but it was at the satire and the Japanese chick speaking English, which is understandable. Otherwise they dug Godzilla.

Yea it was paced very well. Probably one of the best paced Godzilla movies.

When this came out everyone said how serious and political it was.
Going to the theatre, did you seriously expect roaring laughter? Watching tbe trailers, which the soundtrack it had, did you seriously expect ANY laughs?
I'd seriously find that hard to believe.
Not only was this portrayed as the most serious since '54 but Godzilla himself looking like a radioactive zombie should have been scary as fuck.
I was totally taken back by all the laughing. It wasn't what i was expecting at all on my trips to see it.

This exact same thing happened in my theater, there was a large group of 20-something year old guys right in the center of the auditorium laughing constantly at EVERYTHING i'm not exaggerating. I wasn't going to be able to enjoy the movie this way and i figure this is a movie worth experiencing unperturbed so i went back to thw box office and had my ticket exchanged for a showing 30 minutes later, and explained the situation to a manager so they could handle the situation. Thankfully the people in the new auditorium were perfectly respectful and i was able to enjoy the fantastic movie. I understand that the movie is a satire and in many ways a dark comedy but there are only maybe a few scenes which were outright comedic

The same shit happened in Neon Demon although it wasnt quite as bad cause there weren't nearly as many people. I fucking hate normies

I feel like very few people who aren't at least a little bit informed about godzilla would be going to see this movie. My showing was packed with enthusiasm and full of godzilla fans and kaiju movie fans in general. This is a very limited run, remember.

tfw perfect audience until godzillas final form appeared and then urban youth came, like a whole posse, fuckn monkeys kept talking, one made cat like noises like the kid from the grudge, like wtf it was a wednesday afternoon dont those fuks have anything better to do than "troll"

Keep in mind that the series is based off a man in a rubber monster suit stomping on cardboard buildings. True, the first Godzilla is an effective tragedy, but subsequent ones turned the concept into something ridiculous. My theatre didn't laugh when Tokyo was incinerated, or when homes were being demolished, and I doubt yours did either. For the most part, the movie was over the top and silly; certainly tame for a Godzilla film and grounded from what I would expect from Anno, but goofy nonetheless. I love this movie, but blame your own 'tism for getting offended, laughing was perfectly warranted for this film.

Literally a cuckold

Go an extended run here in Australia as well.

I wonder how much money this thing has pulled in the west. Must be decent because Toho has seen a 14% increased revenue forecast and usually films don't get big extended runs and expanded to national cinemas.

Something like Anno's other lasers?

youtube.com/watch?v=mdU8dyjgXU0

The entire movie is basically Ramiel arc.

this is the scene from a cam

I was lucky, I had one great audience that laughed when appropriate but otherwise was silent. Second showing had fucks talking the whole time in the back, a woman answering her phone in the third act and someone trying to start a slow clap.

Still a fantastic movie to watch in theaters anyways. People were gasping during the Tokyo night scene.

1.5 million, I had thought.

Cross between this and Ghidorah's beam, I'd say.
youtube.com/watch?v=1eogtlyDg4Y

No it's more of a high pitched whining sound.

torrent where?

i dont live near a cinema thats showing it

They're laughing because early on in the film the characters are having board meetings about having board meetings and then moving to different rooms to have more board meetings while ultimately solving nothing, it is essentially one 10-15 minutes long joke that lasts up until Godzilla goes back into the ocean. That's only for the first part of the film, the rest is actually incredibly serious

It's just part of the charm, it's there to subvert your expectations for the rest of the film. ShinG is legitimately a horror film

It's a political comedy thriller.

Godzilla himself is terrifying. The political sections are funny because they are basically the Japanese equivalent of shows like Hollowmen, Veep and The Thick of it.

If you understand Japanese politics, the movie is basically this, especially the first part:

youtube.com/watch?v=TxsMY4-zMMw

>youtube.com/watch?v=0TFvAW49jhE
God damn it that video actually brought a tear to my eye. I've only seen that webm that highlights it and listen to Who Will Know every once in a while because I like it, but actually having the audio with the full scene, with the drama including the humans... Fuck man.

I WANT TO SEE THIS FUCKING MOVIE SO BAD

It was more like

>Oh shit, nothing we do can stop Godzilla
>Maybe we should call the americans for help?
>Bombers are already on the way, here's a map of where bombs could possibly fall on your city
>You have 5 minutes

>all those tryhard attempts at 'amazing' cinematography

did anno watch a video from every frame a picture and just run with it

KING GEEDORAH

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER

I'm a pretty big Godzilla fan, but haven't seen this film. What the fuck is up with the beams coming out of his spikes and tail?

He blasts them out through holes in his skin. Towards the end he redirects it into his fail as a way to concentrate his energy.

that's been Anno's style before YouTube was even a thing

youtube.com/watch?v=kRSLCABT4g0

shin gojira best gojira

What was Shin Godzilla trying to achieve? Why was it moving towards the center of Tokyo?

Plasma/laser/soundie thing

>I thought it was a remake of the 1954 one

IDIOT! IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT! YOU SIR ARE AN IDIOT!

This is good quality. Is there a fucking torrent yet?

Na m80. Going to have to wait till Christmas at the soonest for the BD release :(

They could've made this movie about Katrina or the Haiti earthquakes

Only plebs laugh at this kind of movies.

Exactly. It was a nice story about a disaster that nobody was prepared for, and how order was to be maintained as everything fell apart.

>mfw the first atomic breath scene

I was not prepared for that shit. The music, the framing, the sound effects, it gave me chills.

sound effects were wonderful and a lot of them were from the original movie

The part where the power started going out in rings around him as the music swelled was amazing. Whenever Godzilla was onscreen it was pretty mesmerizing. Masterfully framed shots.

RENDER UNTO GIDRAH WHAT IS GIDRAH'S

Anyone know if there's been any news of a blu-ray release soon? I watched this yesterday and I'm in love and gotta see it again.

yeah seriously.

twitter.com/FUNimation/status/785880059202723840?s=01

What would godzilla even eat to get that big, it doesn't make sense, sorry.

seriously though, I need a blu-ray of this movie. I just set up a projector room at my new place and I have to watch this movie again on it.

This move was terrible OP.
Worst looking edgiest Godzilla I've ever seen. Holy shit it was like watching power ranger desu

He ate nuclear waste, and his body was capable of biologically processing fission and harnessing the energy to grow and shoot lasers.

how does it feel knowing you have such shit taste?

I had the same experience watching it tonight in Calgary. I enjoyed the movie but the audience was working hard to ruin the experience. I felt a lot of the audience were aware that they were supposed to see the parallels between the film and Fukushima/Tsunami of 2011 and were over-compensating with laughter.

>>Maybe we should call the americans for help?
>>Bombers are already on the way, here's a map of where bombs could possibly fall on your city
>>You have 5 minutes
and the brief insert of the map shows basically everywhere
some of my audience laughed at that

>Did you see The Exorcism re-release? Everyone was laughing nonstop and that's a fucking horror film.
people howled at the staircase spiderwalk
it never should have been put back

>Did Anno film this as a comedic satire?
yes

What was with his tail at the end? What we're they supposed to be,baby godzillas?

Oh hey I was at that same screening, there was some bitch in the back corner who was definitely laughing way too hard, for the most part I thought the humour was legitimate though.

Also who the FUCK brings a toddler into the front row a foreign-language movie?

>when godzilla's charging his breath and his jaw goes all Predator

gifsound.com/?webm=is.Cred Forums.org/tv/1476922876366&v=xSxJl1aZYFI&s=9

>Shin Godzilla might be the best Godzilla that there is, besides, maybe like the very first one.

That hyperbole... I swear people walk out of every Godzilla film with the Phantom Menace Effect.