I cannot believe how bad the dialogue is in this film

I cannot believe how bad the dialogue is in this film

a purely awful film.

i liked the head part though.

>modern Scott film

Believe it

>even the Mexican bartender is making deep comments about death

This movie is great

It's McCarthy running on complete autopilot for a check (there's a youtube production video where someone quotes him as saying it only took him a few weeks and remarking on how easy it was to write scripts) with no regard to the fact that actors were going to actually have to say those lines out loud. It still managed to have some scenes that still worked, mainly the ones with Brad Pitt and Javier Bardem's character, but it was a pretty big disappointment considering how much talent was assembled.

i actually went to go see that on opening night because cormac wrote it

what a piece of fucking shit.

Why is Scott so bad in 21st century bros? What went wrong?

Even The Martian that everyone jizzed over was a dull cliche-filled garbage.

His getting old.

Also I'm still waiting on the Exodus 4 hour cut.

Any day now that hack will release it.

>no jewess sex slave

why do i even wake up

The Counselor wasn't Scott's fault - I'm sure that since such a big deal was made out of it being McCarthy's first screenplay he had some kind of clause ensuring that the studio couldn't just rewrite the thing but keep his name slapped on it for the cred. No matter who's directing it you're still stuck with a dialogue-centric film where the dialogue is 90% stilted, unnatural philosophical monologues.

Was it really that bad? I enjoyed it

Plenty of films have characters going into extensive philosophical monologues when you wouldn't really expect it without it being an atrocious mess. It seems like Scott just failed to adequately create a film around that dialogue.

That's probably why Ridley cast her fake jewess in this movie.

Though she is actually a good actress but in Exodus she so wasted here and just plain shit.

i kind of liked how unnatural the dialogue was

Welcome to the world of Cormac McCarthy. For more hokey hilarity, you should watch No Country For Old Men (2007) and The Road (2009). Personally, I can't wait for an adaptation of Blood Meridian, because McCarthy's execrable writing makes for the best comedies.

me too

Ditto for me. I'm not gonna call everyone else in the thread plebs though, because what can I say? They're right. I just love mccarthy and his philosophizing too much though. The movie is a guilty pleasure for me. Also the whole "violence these days is more intense and getting worse all the time" thesis is intriguing, even if patently false.

Nolan's dialogue is worse. This dialogue was just sloppily adopted from obvious literary source.

this gif is fucked up

It's the same problem Refn has. Both these guys are great at a couple important aspects of filmmaking (mostly visual obviously) but either aren't great writers or have been paired with suboptimal writers. Refn can be great when he has someone else writing (Drive), and Scott can be too when he's got a solid script.

This is perfectly normal too. Who can be expected to be a brilliant visual stylist AND a great script writer? Not many.

>that final line by Cameron Diaz

how the hell does she still get roles

I love McCarthy's novels but he definitely doesn't have the hang of screenwriting. I think his power as a writer, like with many novelists, is in his wording. He can bang out some excellent prose that paints pictures in your mind, but that doesn't translate to action lines in a screenplay, so he tries to fill it with as many words as he can that will be put in the mouths of actors and actually show up onscreen.

Pitt's character's death was at least unique. That's really all I remember other than every character telling Fass he's dead and there's nothing he can do. Felt really redundant.