Is there a better example of how to reboot a franchise?

Is there a better example of how to reboot a franchise?
Especially with the lineup of movies for 2017, I'm genuinely curious about this.

This flick managed to outsell most reboots, and receive greater critical acclaim than the ones it couldn't. Of the ones I've checked anyway.

Ghost Protocol was better.

That's the one I meant to post.
I made a mistake.

It wasn't a reboot. Or are you referring to the old show?

All 5 of these movies have 4-5 year gaps between release. They're all the same continuity. Hunt's wife shows up after the 3rd one.

Reboot in the sense that no one was expecting a 4th movie.
see by the way. I meant Ghost Protocol.

That's not a reboot.

Was Aliens a reboot too?

Can't reboot a franchise if no franchise existed.

Now Alien: Covenant, that's a reboot.

first one was good

rest of them were just generic spy action flicks

>flick
its a drama

but the first is a generic spy action flick too. The only difference is mild thriller elements in the opening sequence, that never truly return.

Not really. Unless they retcon previous movies, it's just a sequel. Just because a large span of time has passed doesn't make it a reboot.

Yeah, the 4th and 5th got the formula right. Glad it's not some grimdark mess like Abrams movie.

You're right. I've been using "reboot" wrong.
I'd have to go digging for a source, but what I've heard has Covenant undoing Aliens 3 and 4.

Maybe it will be good.

No, you got it right sort of. It's a soft reboot. Continuity is there, but these aren't the same movies anymore.

That was allegedly Blomkamp's idea for his Alien 5 that was going to bring back Michael Beihn and Sigourney Weaver.

They put that project on hold so they can release Covenant, because it's supposed to have some kind of connection to Prometheus.

You know, that shitty movie literally everyone forgot about, and that only Ridley Scott wants to see more of. There's a sequel to that too, by the way.

Do you guys think Suri is going to start acting? I'm sure she will but do you think she will take her dads action roles or her moms pussy sitcom roles?

I'd actually enjoy Suri taking over as the new Hunt in MI.

It's close, but I agree.
I like the Abrams one, but it could've been way better without the wife subplot and that weird ending.

This scene gave me vertigo

I would kill three people to see this in IMAX.

bruising this man is literally a mission thats impossible

Man I should just see all Cruise films in IMAX just in case of Kino

I remember seeing this in IMAX and wanting to throw up. I don't like heights.

Rogue Nation was one of the best theater experiences ever. The motorcycle chase was unreal on that screen.

A reboot doesn't necessarily mean that it restarts the series continuity, it just means it brings the series back to the world's attention. Spider-Man: Homecoming is a reboot that retcons Raimi's and Webb's films, and Texas Chainsaw 3D is a direct sequel to the original, ignoring other entries in the series, but The Force Awakens can count as a reboot too, bringing Star Wars to a new generation of kids without retconning eps 1-6 (though it does disservice to the originals, as many reboots do)