Besides boobs, what made Starship troopers so great, and why does it not seem to be that popular?

Besides boobs, what made Starship troopers so great, and why does it not seem to be that popular?

No one IRL seems to have heard of it when I mention that it's my favorite movie.

Was it a box office flop or something?

Also I haven't watched it in probably over 10 years. Has it aged well in terms of CGI and overall comfiness of the movie?

You haven't watched your favorite movie in over ten years???

yeah, why is that weird?

The boobs were the worst part tho. With better boobs, Dizzy would've been the perfect woman

It was universally panned by critics when it came out, because unbelievably none of them realised it was satire

so nobody watched it in cinemas

How can you be so fucking oblivious ? Same thing happened with Last Action Hero, you read the critics from back then and it's like they had no idea what was going on on the screen.

I can't get over this. It's about as subtle as brick thrown though a window, and Veerhoven did RoboCop, which is the satircal sci-fi/action movie.

Also what the fuck happened to the lead actor?

Why isn't he in the same echelon as Pitt or Dicaprio at this point?

Probably because movie appeared to be a big scifi blockbuster on the surface but was actually a cult satire. I guess all the normies of the time couldnt understand it.

retards dont understand its a commentary on fascism, so they think its just another stupid action movie

Hmm... I always thought it was fairly famous. I remember FX and Syfy used to play it a lot.

I just really saw it in its entirety for the first time this year. I think it's the greatest ever comedy.

It's also both Jodorowsky and Takashi Miike's favorite movie

Anyhow, only some people realize it's a satire, but even less people ever catch on that the bugs never attacked

The CGI is like 50/50. Some of it is surprisingly good and some of it is cringe inducing. I still need to read the book (thanks for reminding me) but the movie isn't about the effects, it's about the message.

I thought it was about killing giant insects and seeing people ripped to shreds

If it was released in 2004-2006 it would have done mega numbers as a satire of W's fuckups in the Middle East.

Great gore
Michael Ironside
the videos "would you like to know more"
Jake Busey.
Doogie Howser can suck my ass.

Casper Van Dien is in DTV/Syfy original movie hell because this movie and a Tarzan flick starring him both flopped, so Hollywood dropped him.

I saw this in theatres when I was nine
>mfw my father high fived me when tits came on the screen tho

What are you talking about? Army Dog ushered a new era of hope for the world of cinema.

Rico is a character we can sympathize with (he's not too smart, winds up at the bottom and has to work his way up, and things don't always work out for him) but also we want to be him (because he's good looking and has two hot girls and he's good at sports stuff).

The story delivers its information in interesting and fun ways. Instead of having characters just flat out explain everything about their world, the news reels do a good job of conveying what we need to know in an entertaining way (yes, I want to know more).

The action sequences are well-shot and the CGI, although dated, still holds up. They do a good job of pitting the humans against an alien enemy who is consistently a serious threat (from having them being more vicious to having them hopelessly outnumber them to having a brainbug who outsmarts them and knows more about them then they know about the bugs).

The satire is also so over-the-top but the statements they make are never too forced or obvious. They never hit you over the head with any heavy sarcasm ("gee, I suuuuure do love fascism and hate having a choice"). They treat the audience a bit more intelligent than that.

There's also a good mix of them showing a very realistic (albeit fictionalized since it includes alien bugs) depiction of war with more fantastic elements (like the three friends meeting at the end and walking off arm-in-arm). In this way, they manage to lampoon war itself and the audience's expectations of a war film (especially the last scene, which is a propoganda film).

But you know what? Forget all that. Take everything I said and just chuck it in the trash. Garbage that shit, because, bottom line, it's a fun film.

>that pic
good god i shouldn't be laughing, but i am

>none of them realised it was satire
Because based verhoven made a perfect satire about events that hadn't happened yet.

>implying aliens have never attacked the earth
Lizardman detected.