This is John Coltrane. Say something nice about him

This is John Coltrane. Say something nice about him

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/en3YTSViS6s
youtube.com/watch?v=pZQAwahDL8A
davidliebman.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/meditations.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

a love supreme

Africa off of Africa/Brass was a genuinely interesting one-chord experiment that should have been tried more in jazz

i like this guy, his music is crazy

music peaked with Ascension

Impressions is similar in that regard.

thanks for the rec, user

Concentrate on your music, and lay off heroin, and you'll be a jazz legend, but watch out for that Miles Davis fella. He's gaining on you.

Rockist pleb detected

One of the best musicians the world's ever known.

You blew da trumpet pretty dang good

Happy Coltrane

jokes on you i already cant

youtu.be/en3YTSViS6s
Masterpiece.

i dont understand peoples obsession with Ascension. it's fine but John has way better free jazz albums.

steve reich is hugely influenced by it. he talks about it in every interview.

thats the harp he bought for his wife

Giant Steps is his best album

This is just noise.

Its because its in the charts and everybody always talks about this so everyone always talks about this when jazz is mentioned

favorite pic on the internet. look how cool these fuckers look

Everything's just noise man

and you’re just a pleb. the world still turns

>Say something nice about him
According to Miles' autobiography, Coltrane used to pick his nose and eat it. funny book.

>This is just noise.
You're not even trying.

Can anyone demystify the legends surrounding this album? I've heard incredible things about it. Is it in any way similar to Giant Steps and ?

coltrane the father
sanders the son
ayler the holy ghost

I can agree with this.

B A S E D

I think Coltran was a pretty cool guy, eh plays scale realy fast and doesnt afraid of anything.

I would like to pick Coltranes nose too

one of my favorite things

BADDUMTHSHSHSHSHSH

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped coming to this sad excuse for a board.

this album is lofi as FUCK but i like it
i remember reading that someone called it "the first black metal album" which is pretty funny, it defenitley has the same kind of lofi fuzz and buzz that early BM albums have

Is this the logical conclusion to music?

this is actually the only photo ive ever seen of him where he is happy. thank you

I like his enthusiasm for interminable riffing on "My Favorite Things"

Where do you put Eric Dolphy then?

Given that both Ayler and Dolphy died relatively yoing, perhaps in the ghost category?

more please
>loosens pants

every post you replied to was clearly a joke

Or a shitpost.

I prefer when he plays the soprano saxophone. I don't know exactly why, but I just love that timbre of that instrument

rip

You guys should watch the new documentary "Chasing Trane". It is not an extraordinary documentary but it has new video footage. There is one of Coltrane with his kids. and another with him playing with a puppy in his bathrobe. it has some new cool pics too

He's wearing a nice sweater.

Coltrane is a master

imo Coltrane live at Temple University is even more incredible. They just released it in 2014. here is a mini documentary about it.
youtube.com/watch?v=pZQAwahDL8A

Incredible. I haven't been able to find the full documentary though.

nigger

definitely the greatest saxophone player that will ever exist

Genuinely interested, not trying to be condescending. Can anyone explain why this is good?

He makes good music for studying and doing homework to

>Harmonic explorations
>Technique explorations (Multiphonics)
>Rhythmic explorations
And to quote the man himself:
>“There are always new sounds to imagine: new feelings to get at. And always, there is a need to keep purifying these feelings and sounds so that we can really see what we’ve discovered in its pure state.”
davidliebman.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/meditations.pdf
This is how music reviews should be done. Not as persuasive essays or reaffirmation of reviewer's own taste, but as explanations of what you are listening to.

underrated

His wife made some good music.

mfw

This.

I'm glad yer dead
HAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHA

not this

I remember reading this a couple years ago. Excellent write-up of one of my favorite albums. I agree with your statement aboitmisic reviews in general.

I admire the man's knowledge and dedication to transcribing those monstrosities on the album. I can barely wait to hear . It would've been better if there's a way to download the full documentary.

Do I start with bebop or modal

Bebop is inclined to remain tonal
unlike modal jazz and as a new listener, I would recommend starting with bebop.

The part near the end of Ole Coltrane where there's a bowed bass solo in the Middle Eastern scale is like the greatest thing ever.

I just learnt that there is church based on his music. Has anyone been there? I am not a religious or even that spiritual but I wanna go and see what its like

You start with Kind of Blue which is modal.

fuck off, loser

he played a mean sax

I have immunity cat