ITT: Bands or Artists that don't get enough respect

ITT: Bands or Artists that don't get enough respect.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ewFBuYHldeY
youtube.com/watch?v=QVMJN0fKJWI
youtube.com/watch?v=rLIbVdNNSwU
youtube.com/watch?v=m76KOirLmIw
youtube.com/watch?v=HVAXRTeS4mU
youtube.com/watch?v=5cDieuSgqa0
youtube.com/watch?v=XJaPPHnMbns
youtube.com/watch?v=kRqc6dLLI8Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're almost viewed as a novelty act, but they're surely one of the GOAT pop acts

Scotty boy

My Dad loves Slade, I know all their songs by heart from long car journeys.

On the topic of underloved British glam rock bands: The Sweet.
youtube.com/watch?v=ewFBuYHldeY

Why is every other girl group of the 60's in the RRHOF but this one? They are most original of the bunch.

youtube.com/watch?v=QVMJN0fKJWI

The thing is with Slade is that they were a hit band for a 5 year period but nowadays in the UK they are seen as a one hit wonder for the Christmas song. They were a mix of glam, hard rock, punk and good old melody. Bands like Kiss, Van Halen and The Ramones were inspired by them but people think of them as a novelty act.

Don't get me started on those bland Quiet Riot covers.

I do think it's funny that Slade is obviously one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, influences on oi!, but everybody seems too embarrassed to admit it.

Oingo Boingo, one unlucky song and they're fucked

I agree with your point about the Hall of Fame, but I wouldn't say they're underrated since they're the girl group that gets brought up the most by the punk and alternative subcultures.

Slade was a gigantic influence on all punk in general but punks never admitted it. Metalfags helped w/ their rehabilitation though

I'm pretty sure that one song is the reason most younger people know about them.

I can believe that they were a massive influence on the London bands, and the more pop/rock bands in New York like the Ramones, but I don't think they influenced the art punks in NY like Richard Hell and Patti Smith, or the anarcho-punks like Crass. Still, I see your point.

I did know they were the first major band to take on the skinhead image, but I was under the impression that they'd adopted it sort of as a gimmick. Nonetheless, I can certainly see how that would've helped them appeal to the types who would go on to start oi!

(Nice dubs)
FINALLY!
Slade is getting the respect it deserves.
Sweet are also great. My favorite song is Piece of The Action

It's a shame they didn't catch on in the U.S., and only had a cult following. You can shit on Quiet Riot all you want, and I wouldn't blame you since everybody in the U.S. thinks Cum On Feel th' Noiz and Mama Weer All Crazy Now are both QR songs, but A) The DID do a slightly better version of COFTN, plus it forced Slade to get back together, and FINALLY have a HIT SINGLE IN THE U.S. (Run Run Away) Many people in the U.S. don't even realize they're still around, and playing shows. (Going to England to see a Slade concert is on my bucket list!) Incidentally there was a band from Spain called Angeles De Inferno who cover Mama in SPANISH!

And as far as being a huge influence on Oi! is concerned I know of at least two Oi!/Streetpunk bands that have covered Cum On, I can't remember the name of the first band, but One Way System did the song justice.

Joey Ramone talks about listening to Slade Alive continuously. I think NY and CBGB acts like Patti would have been familiar with them.

Punk bands were just rockers who were too pompous or embarrassed to call themselves that.

youtube.com/watch?v=rLIbVdNNSwU

dude looks like lil dicky

>The DID do a slightly better version of COFTN

BLASPHEMY!

They basically turned a fun 70s power pop anthem into an awful 80s metal song.

>don't even realize they're still around, and playing shows. (Going to England to see a Slade concert is on my bucket list!)

Be wary that Noddy isnt the lead singer anymore.

I'm sure they're big in Australia and NZ but not really in America. Woodface is a personal 10/10.

Fair enough, but they had so many other great songs.
Shame they don't have the legacy I wanted for em

agreed, great songwriter

Their first few albums are GOAT

Great album.
I'm surprised the skinheads in the audience put up with songs that lasted more than three minutes, but I guess it was the late 1960s, and it came to be expected. Lots of high energy on that album!

Sorry, but when I compare COFTN to other great Slade songs, the original version is a bit too slow and plods on for my liking, and I said SLIGHTLY better!

No, the BEST cover of that particular song was done by an Oi! band called The Crack, and it was so good, people thought Slade had gotten back together to re-do it. (At least according to the liner notes of the Oi! compilation Oi! Chartbusters Vol. 6)

And I would call Quiet Riot a "Metal" band. More like a bad U.S. piss take on AC/DC and this is coming from an AC/DC fan.

Slade w/o Noddy?
But he's the VOICE of Slade!
Whoever is replacing him has their work cut out for them. I hope they're at least half as good. I'd still find a way to have a good time nonetheless.

I'll see you and raise you one.

I was about to delete my image for being poor quality but i'm glad to see another Phil Ochs lover.

Although i like his personal songs more than his political songs (especially considering he was a Maoist).

>drum for most successful band of all time
>people still slag you off and put down your abilities

Ever see the documentary "There But For Fortune"?

Talk about a walking contrarian.

He was a Maoist, but at the same time, tow of his heroes were John Wayne and John F. Kennedy.

Still a great singer/songwriter/musician with plenty to say, weather one agreed with him or not.

Love Me, I'm a Liberal is a timeless classic.

>ringo was a bad dru--
youtube.com/watch?v=m76KOirLmIw

Aint THAT the truth!

Ringo is an excellent drummer with a great sense of rhythm, impeccable timing, and knows how to utilize crash cymbals.

>Ever see the documentary "There But For Fortune"?

Yeah. I think they were going to make a film about his life with Sean Penn but it fell through. Hes certainly a worthy subject even though most biography movies suck and never actually capture the person they are portraying. Liberals would have played up his pledge for Social Justice rather than his inner turmoils. Folkies still act as if he killed himself because he couldnt make a big enough diffrence; ideology before the person.

Reminds me of that guy who claimed that he drummed on many of the early Beatles tracks and was found out to be a fraud.

Thing is, the guy was a respected and influential session drummer. Basically he said there is not much diffrence between his professional drumming and Ringo's.

fucking based, slade is legendary and pretty underrated these days

These

HOLY shit, are YOU 60 years old AND posting ON Cred Forums?

I think its Robert Christgau posting.

John Lennon use to slate Paul and Wings but his albums were generally much worse.

youtube.com/watch?v=HVAXRTeS4mU

One of the only bands that went to disco and actually make good music still

>ITT: Bands or Artists that don't get enough respect.

The quintessential british band

I would've agreed with you if it weren't for your comment.

This is now a power pop thread.

I love that album. Shoes are underrated as fuck.

A lot of people call him trash because they only heard look at me but he's probably the most versatile rapper.

Sparks is excellent. Only LA could produce such an oddity at that time, i.e. before bands like Devo and XTC showed up.

The Nerves had the GOAT power pop EP. Im glad Blondie made more people aware of them, but the og Hanging on the Telephone is way better.

The Nervers are excellent. Also really liked The Plimsouls and The Beat.

>Most talented and influential keyboardist of all time
>Almost single-handedly responsible for starting the classical/rock fusion of the 70s
>Made synth and keyboards cool
>Nobody ever talks about him. Ever.

Speaking of Nerves and power pop. I recommend this.

Emerson Lake and Palmer are dope. Tarkus, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery, and Works Vol. 1 are essential listening.

When are these guys from?

You'd think that with as much as this board salivates over KC, ELP would get more recognition. Any of their 1970-1974 albums could easily be Cred Forumscore if more people actually knew about them.

1980s.

They were a 60's revivalist band in the mode of The Flamin' Groovies Shake Some Action.

youtube.com/watch?v=5cDieuSgqa0

Too many Xgau drones here.

70's Glam is great. Always thought Cockney Rebel were a tad underated

this guy is constantly ahead of the curve when it comes to this current wave of rap music

They actually had some good songs, especially Michael

Best cover coming through:

youtube.com/watch?v=XJaPPHnMbns

Dude from Slade always comes to the pub i work at, seems like a pretty nice guy

the one with the chops or the bowlcut fringe?

My dad went to school with the guy who engineered this album.

These guys seemed to get ragged on a lot. Their album is solid.

Nice. Alive on Arrival is my favorite album by him.

Billy Joel seems to have a lot of haters, despite being a great songwriter, and fantastic pianist

youtube.com/watch?v=kRqc6dLLI8Y