According to Scaruffi, this is the best jazz album ever recorded. Is he right?

According to Scaruffi, this is the best jazz album ever recorded. Is he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QLpIz2i-7Rg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm not sure if its the best but it's definitely up there with the best ones. Scaruffi was right this time

yes. not only is it the best jazz album by a significant margin, it's the best recording of music ever made, and the best piece of music ever written

not even kidding

I don't usually agree with Scaruffi but he's right on this one

his #2 jazz record is the real #1

scaruffi is right on everything

nah

Scaruffi is a maverick but frankly this is also my favourite jazz record

nah far from it

it's not even jazz
it's orchestral music on jazz instruments

It's certainly up there

>it's the best recording of music ever made, and the best piece of music ever written
But Let My Children Hear Music exists, user.

Scruffy is a pseudo-intellectual moron. Let My Children Hear Music, Blues & Roots, and Mingus Ah Um are all far superior.

Fuck yes

As everybody here said, Let children my hear music is better
love this

This is proto-black metal, not jazz.

excellent choice. definitely prefer this one over the OP

Virgin or chad?

Ascended.

Chad af, Scaruffi is spot on with his jazz

>not a single gilespie or parker release

scruffy is too much of an albums guy to listen to a comp. his loss

A fantastic album but not on black saint's level. Also probably the first jazz-metal album of all time

I've never heard someone put that much emotion into an album without any vocals

I would disagree because of how little expression there is in the music. Like, I can totally see why the kind of music fans that roam around on the internet would think it's the best because it focuses a lot more on atmosphere/mood than expression/emotion. That focus is also apparent in the very music internet music fans also otherwise give love to (like say...Radiohead or TVU or the entire post-punk genre or My Bloody Valentine who all focus on atmospheric songwriting over expressive songwriting.) That being said, it doesn't take advantage of the jazz medium's ability to be very expressive through the systems it has developed just for that reason. So no, I wouldn't call it the best jazz album, although it's got some cool tid bits that make it interesting.

"Best jazz album" is too broad but without a doubt it's the best jazz composition ever. It's not a jam session, it goes beyond even big band compositions it is basically an orchestral piece.

Fun fact Mingus was a cello virtuoso who originally wanted to be a classical musician but was banned from that world because of his race so he decided to use his talents to compose a tale of the struggle of blacks with jazz.

Yeah that's because it leans heavily on classical.

Do you think he transferred his soul into this record and that's why he died a month later?

I enjoy this album but it's just late period Coltrane with horrendous audio quality. Your minds are blown because someone did a sub-bootleg quality job recording this performance?

No, he died because he had a terrible alcohol and heroin addiction.

You're just not patrician enough, who cares about the fucking recording quality? It's the spirit that matters.

>tfw you listen to this and think wtf happened to black music

Is this b8?

Do you think Parker is shit because Savoy recorded in mono?

Oh I get it you're a fucking generation Z faggot who jacks off to FLAC. How can you trash an album because the sound quality is bad, especially one made 50 fucking years ago, fuck outta here faggot.

Dude, I listened chronologically to each late period coltrane album in order of recording date leading up to olatunji and i can confirm that it is NOT just another fucking performance from that era. They're playing at twice the intensity that they ever had before.

this thread is embarrassing

This.

>it sounds bad but so what fuck you
I'm sure its great honey

Yeah I've got it all, Chim Chim Cheree, Live at the Half Note you name it and I've never heard anything like this. He must have subconsciously known he was dying, this is supernatural.

listening for the first time now. Never really ventured into free jazz before this. Really into modal and fusion though.

The sax on this is sick. Sounds like legit screaming. This is pretty tight. Is that Coltrane on the soprano doing that?

Coltrane is on soprano. Pharoah Sanders is on tenor and he really steals the show on that record.

Im no expert on jazz. Does Coltrane take the first solo on Ogunde? I sounds like soprano but im not entirely sure

Where is Sun Ship?
youtube.com/watch?v=QLpIz2i-7Rg

i like this more

Sanders' tenor starts at about 2 and a half minutes in and Coltrane doesn't play a note from then until about the halfway point almost 15 minutes after.

It's how good the composition sounds you fucking gook bitch.

Ok so Saunders is the one doing all the crazy screaming-like sounds. Good to know, thanks man