/prod/ - Music Production General

EMS Synthi 100 edition

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback. Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

Previous thread: >ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

---
dumb discord
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/mtuomcyq
kvraudio.com/plugins/vst-plugins/vst3-plugins/instruments/effects/hosts/free/newest
clyp.it/2jeqrbsx
clyp.it/cas5fu3y
clyp.it/3vfo5fx2
soundcloud.com/cato-i
clyp.it/udru2xas
molex.com/molex/products/listview.jsp?channel=products&fs=category:I/O Connectors,productname:"USB 2.0",type:B&sType=z
clyp.it/aahi1ofh
vocaroo.com/i/s18wUPrGOLpo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"Richard?"
"Yep?"

Yo yo yo. I'm just getting the hand of recording vocals. It's almost ready for release, but I think there's a few kinks to work out and I was wondering if you guys had anything you wanted to point out.

clyp.it/mtuomcyq

Genre: Post-Industrial, Synth Punk.

I got halion 6 recently and its pretty nice

I'm looking for some advice on studio outboard gear, for mastering or for beefing up my Live set's, Any recommendations?

b0mp

I should know this, but there are 2 specific compressor/limiters that i've often seen used for live electronic sets.

One is that alesis compressor that is famous for starting that distorted sidechain/french house trick.
I can't remember the name of the other, but i think its on the cheaper side and has a cheese-ball name like "your everyday compressor..." i think its white or cream in color and not even a full rack space. Might even be a multiband.

is this the one you mean

I need a virtual drum kit, if that makes sense
like a drum machine that doesn't go bleep and boop

dont bother and just get good plugins for mastering, but most of what you need is probably already in the box. metering is more important for a good mastering job than fancy hardware. but not to continue being all too much of a dick, if you're asking the question the way you are, you probably have no idea what you actually want or how to use it - which to me means you should probably hold off for the time being.
sorry im a jerk

Hi guys, is there any website that's dedicated for pirated VSTs and such?

I find that the pirate bay and big torrent sites are very short of those.

Audioz.info

yep

>Hi I'm Seamless and today I will show you how to make this sound
>WUBWUBSKRRRTTWUBBAWUBWUBWAAAAAAARRRRKKKKKKKKT

What the fuck is the deal with this Seamless guy and why do people recommend him? Does he know Dubstep has been dead for half a decade?

kvraudio.com/plugins/vst-plugins/vst3-plugins/instruments/effects/hosts/free/newest

>I need a virtual drum kit

Superior Drummer

Has ableton 10 been cracked yet?

okay so i mixing low but when i try to bring it up in the master it sounds smooshed to shit and nasty and ugly.

what am I doing wrong?

learn what a decibel is
learn how logarithms work

Possibly:

1. It always sounded crap and you were not hearing it because it was so quiet, or

2. You have a limiter on the master bus and your mix is now hitting it too hard, or

3. You're now peaking past 0db on the master bus and you're clipping.

Quiet mixing means quiet MONITORING - not low levels at the mix bus. Your mix bus should always be at its optimum level and you would then adjust your monitor output/amp/speaker level to get a quiet monitoring setup.

>One is that alesis compressor that is famous for starting that distorted sidechain/french house trick.
Alesis 3630.

He explain's advanced synth technics pretty good. You don't have to make dubstep with it.

no genre just dies, user.

>inb4 two-tone

two step

i need a new laptop for music production. What do you guys recommend?

Used Macbook pro. Get an 15 inch because screen size.
if your broke thinkpad

this is not true but /prod/ are absolute fags and i dont want to help lel

fucker help me

clyp.it/2jeqrbsx

>been slowly improving mixing my own recordings. Don't have the best equipment but want to get to a point where I can at least make my stuff sound indie professional.

Any advice?

superior drummer
rutracker and audioZ
>Does he know Dubstep has been dead for half a decade?
nothing ever dies
yes
basically what this guy said used macbook pro indeed

no this place is a shitshow where idiots teach the unwitting bad habits and justify their behavior with a total misunderstanding of digital audio.
go to other websites to learn this place will make you worse i promise

/prod/ board when

shitposters who don't even make music likely

what bitcrusher do you guys use? i've tried tal but it's shit

listen to the quality of music posted here and compare the comments
its quite obvious it is the blind leading the blind
there are better communities for you all to go to to progress your skills
production is a skill that typically takes a very long time to acquire at a high degree
a bitcrusher always sounds like shit unless you know its purposes and utilities, they are not all created equal but if you look into what a bit actually is, it will become very easy to manipulate.
they have infinite possible uses but what you are using to bitcrush does not matter. you are using it wrong.

Have you used tal? I think it's programmed like shit. What I've learned is that bitcrush is used to anticipate errors in the quantization process, I'm using it to add some "snap" to my snares and percussion.

no that is not what a bitcrusher does, although it can indeed add snap and bite or whatever abstract description you want to use.
google these terms.
>digital audio
>bitrate
>dynamic range
>digital to analogue conversion
a bitcrusher will attempt to render you audio to less bits, degrading the signal quality. when you change a sound IN ANY MANNER, it incurs distortion. distortion is change. change introduces artifacts. these artifacts change the timbre and perceived qualities of the sound.
no i have never used tal, try soundtoys devil lock, its not exactly a bitcrusher but it is an audio level destroyer that has a similar effect but with more control.
camelphats bitcrusher is second to none.

clyp.it/cas5fu3y
>the cure, ymo, cultural appropriation

This fucking sick, I would put some modulation shit on those brass/bass(?) Stabs you got going on there

Think this sounds great, my gut reaction is to put a high-pass filter on your vocals/pad/both so when the song kicks in, the song itself will sound "bigger"

Fuck I posted the wrong clyp
Right one: clyp.it/3vfo5fx2

another good one is trash 2 by izotope

soundcloud.com/cato-i

This you senpai?

trash 2 is the best vst on the market imo
but it is not a bitcrusher it is a waveshaping distortion module
it does not contain a bitcrusher at all

I'd like to revive my old portable audio interface. One of the prongs in the USB port broke, and now it doesn't connect. I took it apart and it looks like I could probably solder a new one in on the board, but I don't know what kind of part to look for. halp

>soundcloud.com/cato-i

haha, mayyybe.
what'd do you think of the new track?

production is good. I'd maybe work on your vox performance/production a lil bit. It wasn't bad, just wasn't appealing to me

now

do ableton live 9 scripts work in 10, or does it depend on the script?

I didn't say it did but since you were talking about devilloc I thought I would mention it

fair enough im just hear to shitpost so im naturally gunna be on the defense
the pedantics and semantics of production techniques triggers my autism heavily because they have hugely different applications and implications

finished a thing yesterday

clyp.it/udru2xas

a genre doesn't die just because you stop keeping up with it, user

Might add, I bought one of these used for $50 the other month. Also bought the DIYRE upgrade kit. It will need even more work, seems all the electrolytics are clapped out due to old age and overheating and will need replacing. I intend to persevere with the project but my gut tells me it's not worth it. For around $600, you can pick up a new and decent SSL G clone.

USB Type B, good replacements made by Molex:

molex.com/molex/products/listview.jsp?channel=products&fs=category:I/O Connectors,productname:"USB 2.0",type:B&sType=z

that boy. thanks man! How do I know which part number to get?

Try eBay and you'll see more photos - you'll need a right-angled socket for your application (solder terminals come out the side instead of out the end) and Molex have loads there but you'll find the same on eBay with photos. Don't get the cheapest one (the centre breaks off just like your existing one - NI interfaces are famous for that), stick to Molex if you can.

>solder terminals come out the side facing the board

Fixed that to avoid confusion

rate my tune
clyp.it/aahi1ofh

>future garage, dark, ambient

sympathy bump

vocaroo.com/i/s18wUPrGOLpo