People only listen to harsh noise ironically, right?

People only listen to harsh noise ironically, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_9xiYnFvIRo
youtube.com/watch?v=GTVZM4tTvh0
youtube.com/watch?v=cM5PYFGy2oA
youtube.com/watch?v=y6mg1CVd4O0
youtube.com/watch?v=MpuDCO7OcpE
youtu.be/o9qngIevWa8
youtube.com/watch?v=lGZc0kk1uwc.
youtube.com/watch?v=BwIjwVGwsG8
youtube.com/watch?v=G4g2Zjolsa0
youtube.com/watch?v=euHoHdpGOa0
youtube.com/watch?v=RUi9he-PcSQ&list=PLOrUyUVuqtSQmK0voc3zMOTSNGBWgdYkH
youtube.com/watch?v=d95t0KhZgpo
youtube.com/watch?v=qNeaAMfy0w0
youtube.com/watch?v=fRkwqgHtg0U
youtube.com/watch?v=rSCkOEGkZFU
youtube.com/watch?v=cVwOWbT5bR8
youtu.be/Ww1Fm8WaKNc
youtube.com/watch?v=5QyIs2P3p1g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Frog :3

Yes. I have never met a harsh noise fan who didn't tell me he liked harsh noise.

I hope so. They try to act patrician listening to something so impenetrable like it but it actually a sign of their plebbishness shining through.

It can be unironically enjoyable if you go to a live show, and also if you're high

you remind me of the clueless people judging modern art and saying it's not art while knowing nothing about art
harsh noise is more symbolic and about making a statement than it is about melody and what traditional forms of music are about

And why does that make harsh noise good? Oh wait, it doesn't. You don't have to pretend to like harsh noise to come off as intelligent. Just read more, and your low IQ won't be as apparent.
Next.

Let me guess, you like Merzbow, Masonna, Vomir and The Rita and you look like pic related?

Cringe.

>And why does that make harsh noise good?
what makes any kind of music objectively good you buffoon?

Harsh noise is actually one of my fav genres. Probably a top 3

I like it the same way I like any other music.

>absolutely no arguments
thanks for being a dumbass and strengthening my position

>I like it the same way I like any other music.
So you don't actually get or understand harsh noise then. Stop pretending to be one of us.

No answer? You can't even come up with a reason why you personally enjoy it? I thought so.
Next.

nope... although i've given up on explaining it. i simply like it

Where did he say objectively? The fact that you pretend to like a ''genre'' of ''music'' where everything sounds the same and takes no skill to make at all just proves you're a pleb with shitty taste. ''muh wall of noise''

Harsh noise is a meme, noise in general is great.

you didn't ask why i personally enjoy it faggot, you asked what makes it objectively good, and there is no objectivity in music
go strawman somewhere else

I didn't ask that. Read again.

Not any of those anons, I come here in good faith. What makes a harsh noise track good? Is it judged based on how effective the noise is in causing a headache? Is noise listened to for entertainment, or is there an element in noise music that excludes entertainment but doesn't preclude enjoyment?

>Where did he say objectively?
where did he say what makes it good to me?
when you ask why something is good it is implied that you speak objectively
>takes no skill to make at all
and that's how i know you're a faggot

I unironically enjoy noise for its atmospheric value, so that's the appeal for me.

no I listen unironically all the time

youtube.com/watch?v=_9xiYnFvIRo

have you actually tried to make noise? i've tried and never could make the sounds that merzbow makes so far
it sounds easy... it really isn't that easy (though i admit it kinda relies on luck and taking chances)

Prove that it takes some skill to make and that it doesn't all sound the same.

this album proves that noise music is a legitimate art form

recommend me some tame noise in the vein of Pan Sonic

youtube.com/watch?v=GTVZM4tTvh0

look at some DDX-10 releases like youtube.com/watch?v=cM5PYFGy2oA
youtube.com/watch?v=y6mg1CVd4O0

>Supercavitation is a mathematical project designed to explore novel ways of expressing randomness in sound. Each track presents a controlled environment in which random processes are allowed to develop. The result is a collection of noises which are sometimes abrasive, occasionally bizarre, but consistently fresh with perspective.

As an actual math grad student, this makes me cringe

as a person with a math phd what are you studying right now

okay virgin

Harsh noise is cringe in general
''no ideas, no change, no development, no entertainment, no remorse"

listen to this album and tell me you feel the same way

youtube.com/watch?v=MpuDCO7OcpE

i have seen this before and this video shows that people only have listened to "pulse demon" and then they start judging harsh noise

>merzzow
>1930
>venereology
>merzbeat
>aqua necromancer
here's an starter pack for ya

it's (again) more about appreciation of the sounds and stunt but still that's a good suggestion... listen to that

I was an analysis person I never touched a lot of algebra. However now I am learning about topological quantum computing and I need to learn category theory. how is your thesis coming

intense my dudee

someone told me that i'm listening to harsh noise incorrectly if I just close my eyes and let my mind race with images, and basically just have an album long meditation

what the fuck is the "right way" then

eating your own shit with your face next to both of your monitors and sub at full volume. Then you will understand harsh noise.

if you see images with harsh noise YOU ARE listening to it wrong

there is no right or wrong way when appreciating the music and sound. you either do or you don't. end of the story.
stop this wrong way right way bullshit right now (no offence to you)

>Stop pretending to be one of us.

That sounds cool im going to try that

after every track you have to take off your headphones, let off a big sigh then clap, then play the next track

what the fuck is this

nerds

Sure, it's neat.

But...if they didn't tell you they liked it, how would you know that they liked it? What if you met dozens of noise fans who simply didn't tell you?

tru

Can someone please explain the appeal to me I want to understand. I enjoy noisy, feedback-heavy music, but it just sounds meaningless to me.

it's literally just some pseudo 2deep4you bullshit that poses as """"art""""

I find harsh noise like hot sauce. You have most people who enjoy mild, like shoegaze, garage rock etc. Then you have people who "enjoy" the insanely hot shit that burns your mouth for hours like Merzbow and all that garbage. No one can possibly enjoy really harsh music seriously.

dubs confirm merzbow is a nu-male

i can't speak for anyone else but i just want sounds that i can immerse myself in and not think about, it's something that's all atmosphere. it's the same reason i listen to ambient or drone music, it just gives me different feelings.
i don't understand where the idea that people who like noise are pretentious comes from, the noise scene has some of the most genuine, humble people i've ever met. the people who continually deride it seem more pretentious imo.

Stop gatekeeping. Just because you listen to it for the aesthetic to seem Patricia doesn't mean nobody else legitimately enjoys it.

The right way is any way that you enjoy. Don't listen to pretentious assholes.

I can appreciate harsh noise for its interesting soundscapes, so I do enjoy it.

decent, but the textures and tones remind me of Hecker - Sun Pandamonium but that album has much more going on while having a very similar minimilistic approach to noise. Look at this song

youtu.be/o9qngIevWa8

Hecker - bsf tyk 5

you check this out too. the most boring song on the album proves you wrong.

>cringing at your own projection

I just love industrial music and sometimes it dips hard into noise and I like that too. So yea I do love it but I'm not going to fucking just put on pulse demon. I'll put on con-dom or BDN , or nocturnal emissions

Wrong

none of these /mu harsh noise """fans""" actually listen to their """favourite""" harsh noise albums repeatedly. Their appreciation for the "music" only goes deep enough to keep listening to new albums to keep up the charade that they're actually into it. Literally no one except for some lunatic fringe actually enjoys harsh noise.

people use pepe memes ironically, right?

>Listening to anything "ironically"
What does this even mean

This thread has to be trolling or retardation. I understand though, it takes an open mind and more than 2 brain cells to appreciate harsh noise, and, if you look at the average person, and realize that half of thw population is more stupid than that, it's understandable why harsh noise isn't mainstream.

>using the 'Cringe' meme in current year

How did you manage to get phd in math without taking class in category theory? Wtf?

but muh textures

and you like soy sauce, right?

Cremation Lily and I Am A Lake of Burning Orchids

This is how you know you're listening to good shit. This goes for regular music too.

>be me
>use noise to create intricate tonal and atonal sounds
>understand thoroughly the differences between types of noise and their applications
>think that noise genres are absurdly terrible
ye man its just cuz i dont appreciate it its not like its literally atonal trash

i find it alarming that every harsh noise artist has like a 100 gorillion releases

yeah all those albums are better than pulse demon. Especially like aqua necromancer

its not hard to make

it just seems so extremely low effort. this thread got me thinking about a guy called andrew coltrane that made a noise album i liked. so i went to his rym page to see if i could find it and saw he released 30 fucking albums during 2008. i mean come on

This is a valid criticism. There is absolutely no reason for this. However, a lot of those artists and groups that release a gorillion albums still have some albums worth listening to.

Maybe you should stop listening to the latest MGMT album, get the dicks out of your ears, and REALLY listen. Then you'd hear the complexity and beauty of REAL music.

Fucking idiot.

The only sad thing around here is how completely ignorant you are. It's okay. You can speak to me when you're welcomed into Mensa, until then, keep your stupidity to yourself.

so i tell you that i spend time working with noise (white pink brown static etc) for various applications and that tells you that i listen to MGMT?
i just youtubed who that is and while this is something i would never listen to, it is infinitely more complex than random order harmonics being randomly modulated.
real music is written with emotion and narrative, using the idea of noise in its true form - the background of the sound, setting a stage to play ones rendered thoughts.
not making those background granularities the forefront of the stage, these sounds ARE IN THEIR VERY NATURE NOT MUSICAL. the whole point of using noise is to CONTRAST the music.
you will tell me that making music out of non musical noise is the point, i will tell you that the reason no one listens to it is because it is straight up shhhiiiiiiiiiiiiite and your retarded metaphors will do nothing to sway the opinion of someone who isnt retarded

I like it when I'm drunk and sleep deprived, I don't really do that since I quit drinking though. Also most of the appeal is in doing it yourself or seeing it live.
I liked the edginess of it too but it tends to wear off and there's worse shit on Cred Forums anyway.

Like arguing with a child. You can't even form proper sentences. Waste of my time and brain power to even read this.

oh i see ur a troll
an hero faggot

you even talk like a proper pseud

In proper idiot fashion, can't even form proper arguments. Good job. Have fun at your jobs in fast food.

That's one way to listen to it.
Another way is more physical and emotional in nature.
I myself start moving spastically around my room whenever I put on some Masonna for example.
Not like meditate with the sound, but instead be smacked by it in the face.
Also a lot of noise in general is nihilistic, this can be explored by drinking alcohol (but this is not necessary)

most do, yeah

>i love harsh noise! my favorite artists include: masonna, merzbow, incapacitants, the list can go on...

if you want some education about noise ill be happy to answer any questions you have
im new to Cred Forums is this the standard of trolls you have or is this the sort of person who unironically posts here?
cuz ive quite obviously laid very good points as towards why this genre is absolutely terrible.
is he upset that i am not using proper grammar? is that something people get upset about here?

>harsh noises being listened to

I enjoy harsh noise but only when it's being played live

>how to damage ears 101

I wear earplugs and my local venues make sure its quiet

you go to gigs that are intentionally quiet to avoid damaging the listeners ears kek?

Harsh noise is pretty much all complete shit, except for a few exceptions that actually use the extremity in a creative way like and youtube.com/watch?v=lGZc0kk1uwc.
I highly recommend trying other genres of noise other than harsh noise if you enjoy noisy extreme music
Here are some albums from different genres of noise that should help you get started if you want to enjoy this genre
youtube.com/watch?v=BwIjwVGwsG8
youtube.com/watch?v=G4g2Zjolsa0
youtube.com/watch?v=euHoHdpGOa0
youtube.com/watch?v=RUi9he-PcSQ&list=PLOrUyUVuqtSQmK0voc3zMOTSNGBWgdYkH (this is a link to the playlist for the whole album)
youtube.com/watch?v=d95t0KhZgpo
youtube.com/watch?v=qNeaAMfy0w0
youtube.com/watch?v=fRkwqgHtg0U
youtube.com/watch?v=rSCkOEGkZFU
youtube.com/watch?v=cVwOWbT5bR8

yeah, I'd rather not have damaged ears from live music?

>be you
>go to harsh noise gig
>ear plugs in to prevent damage to ears
>PA is quiet to avoid damaging my ears
>all i can hear is the 4 other people shuffling around the room
>take out ear plugs to hear music
>realise reason it has to be quiet is because its not music
>put ear plugs back in
>cry into my coke because i cant order beer yet

>be you
>walks into rock/hip hop/noise show
>goes to the front of the audience with no earplugs
>rinses and repeats 80 times
>makes fun of a casual noise fan for caring about his health
>secretly has sleep loss due to tinnitus

Same

i would never, never walk into a noise show because im not a retard
you just described how i behaved when i was going to gigs at 15
i can currently hear up to 17.8k hz
my line of work requires me to have a good audible range
i do not have tinnitus but you do go to quiet gigs wearing ear plugs

There's a reason Merzbow has over 700 albums

I should clarify I don't wear earplugs when its quiet, only on the off chance its quite loud

lol

well im glad you are preserving your ears but how about preserving your mind and not listening to atonal sounds calling themselves musical

this is kind of a buckethead situation
buckethead has a shit-ton of albums out there that most of them don't really matter and are just a number in his discography... but there some absolutely amazing stuff especially those that didn't came in the same year with 300 other ones
merzbow is like this too... it is true that there are so many meh stuff in his discography, but if you take time to explore you'll find great stuff too
>merzbeat
for example. it is more accessible too

>mods deleted the sick trips

my favorite genres are noise, outsider improvisation, and classical

rock, jazz, hip hop, and electronic pop are all disgraces to the word 'art'

takes him 5 minutes to program the synth as a harsh, abrasive noise, then records/loops it for hours and just releases it. it's actually genius how someone who does almost nothing is held in such high regard and makes money from music.

i don't fully disagree with that but merzbow also does a ton of other things

>As well as being a prolific musician, he has been a writer and editor for several books and magazines in Japan, and has written several books of his own. He has written about a variety of subjects, mostly about music, modern art, and underground culture. His more renowned works were on the topics of BDSM and Japanese bondage. Other art forms Akita has been interested in include painting, photography, filmmaking, and Butoh dance.

and also... i don't know most of the albums i listened to from him are above average in terms of musicality... they aren't that unoriginal
but they get repetitive and sometimes you'll get deja vu from other albums

How's everything in Kekistan?

yikes

jazz is a disgrace to art but you listen to noise
there are a ridiculous amount of different types of electronic pop deriving from all avenues of contemporary and old music.
aight my g time to kill yourself

you're looking for power noise then
try converter as a starter

kekistan shitters don't listen to anything other than overmasculine buttrock, or at best some prog metal/black metal/neofolk

kekistan edgelords listen to the shittiest kind of the subgenre that shall not be named: rock but with more distortion and edge

>harsh noise is more symbolic and about making a statement
wrong

i like some harsh noise, recently been really getting into Merzbow. it's really not that different from some ambient music. it actually kind of suck for me now cause im finding all these merzbow albums i like and wishing i had pot or psychs to listen to it on but istead all i have is shitty prescription stimulants. it's kinda cool on stims too tho. been taking a couple day break from those tho and now im listening to santana. as for the appeal of harsh noise, for me it's purely a synesthetic thing. when i listen to music i see shapes and the shapes i see in harsh noise are often very pronounced and have interesting structures. i do however dislike times when the noise is too high pitched for too long if it's too loud and it can be fatiguing, but when i find albums of it i like it's a lot of fun. it's nice to listen to music you dont have to keep up with at a rhythm or melody, you just stare at it and zone

it's absolutely retarded that you think knowing about pink noise makes you some kind of expert who has more authority in this topic.

Emptyset

how does not having an intricate and working knowledge of most types of noise and their applications not give me more authority?
does a world class guitarist not have a more relevent opinion on guitar orientated music than a listener?

lol what are you on about

i described why it is bad music and that to validate its worth people use terrible metaphor and analogies.

good comparison actually. Imma use that now

greetings, newfriend :)

you haven't described why it's bad music. you have just said it doesnt subscribe to traditional idioms of western diatonic harmony, that doesn't make it bad. I'll bet you think John Cage is full of shit too

Best answers ITT

is this the sauce you like?

no i have described how it is in its very nature barely music and that the listener has to deviate from LISTENING TO THE MUSIC to appreciate it.
i have never heard john cage until right this moment and the fact that you are comparing the two is offensive to all music ever created because this is beautiful.

>i have never heard john cage until right this moment
you have never heard of John Cage and you seriously think you know more about music than others?

>the fact that you are comparing the two is offensive to all music ever created
You clearly don't know a damn thing about how John Cage views sound

youtu.be/Ww1Fm8WaKNc

Holy fuck I'm dead. Who listens to this???

people with >105 IQs

But eating spicy food feels good after a while because your brain thinks you've injured yourself and released endorphins. Therefore noise is similar.

this one is really bad

why is Cred Forums filled with fucking normies now

harsh noise isn't even a super inaccessible genre

I listen to stuff like this at moderate volume levels because I find it relaxing

it's about the atmosphere of the textures and dynamics of the sound

it's not a fucking difficult thing to understand

nobody listens to things ironically

this sounds pretty good. nice and bassy. could get boring after a bit though without more variation

>nobody listens to things ironically
nah man, have you seen Unkle Adams threads?

I agree with everything else though.

you think knowing about specific artists defines ones knowledge of music?
no i do not know how he views sound, and i dont care.
his piano pieces are beautiful and eclectic, his work with noise is nowhere near as abhorrent as what is considered harsh noise
you realise that here there is 0 dynamics. there is a dynamic range of around 0.3db. this is literally just noise through a limiter.
i get the "atmospheres" and textures but jesus christ you have to be a faggot to listen to this

>you think knowing about specific artists defines ones knowledge of music?
yes I think not knowing at all about one of the most important composers of modern classicval music shows that you have huge gaps in you fundamental knowledge of music history and don't know that much about music.

>his piano pieces are beautiful and eclectic, his work with noise is nowhere near as abhorrent as what is considered harsh noise
lol nice you have such informed opinions after listening to him for the past 7 minutes.

>no i do not know how he views sound, and i dont care.
his views on sound are entirely germane to the discussion of appreciating harsh noise.

get your tongue out of his ass im sure it cant taste good
i hope the constant 1-5k blasts of anus noise make you deaf because you are a stain on music.

> it is in its very nature barely music
whether its music or not is not relevant in any way, of course it makes for very uninterresting topic of discussion if someone feels the need to go there.
>listener has to deviate from LISTENING TO THE MUSIC to appreciate it
well thats of course not true but I wonder where you get this shit from

Actual good answer.

you don't have to be a dick riding fag to know John Cage is one of the most important composers of his time, you just have to take a basic fucking music history class.

>you realise that here there is 0 dynamics. there is a dynamic range of around 0.3db. this is literally just noise through a limiter
:D oh fug i didnt notice
can you give me more useful info about that
track so maybe I can learn not to enjoy it
I think I already almost got there with what you provided me so far

I work with some one who listens to a lot of harsh noise and he describes it as just noise to lose thoughts to. You develop an ear for it over time and start to find noise patterns that are more appealing than others. It's like the black metal of ambient music, .,

it's pretty fucking easy actually just do straight up analysis

PDE
Measure Theory
Algebra
Differential Topology
Complex Analysis
ODE
Functional Analysis
Differential Geometry
Harmonic Analysis
Bioinformatics/Machine Learning
Probability Theory

fuck

why do you talk about dynamics then?
probably true, i am an uncultured swine, but funnily enough my opinion of music is equally as valid as everyone elses.
i get it from people describing that listening to this music generally involves not being engaged with the sound itself but using it to "zone out"
this guy even describes it as noise to lose thoughts to as opposed to enjoy intrinsically.

How is harsh noise not
>DUDE IT'S ART
Soyboy shit if we wanna play the soy game?

>i get it from people describing that listening to this music generally involves not being engaged with the sound itself but using it to "zone out"
that's no necessarily the case and you would find a lot of responses like that too if you were asking people about ambient music in general. I wish I could give people like you a veiw inside my minds eye so you could see what I see when I listen to Merzbow. It goes way beyond being something to meditate to, it's like looking at a Stan Brakhage film.

i also wish i could view inside your mind im sure it would be very interesting, but i dont think there is any argument that could convince me without it.
to me, comparing ambiant music to this is ridiculous but i also understand that we are different.

try listening to Tim Hecker and then listen to Yellow Swans. one is ambient and one is noise and they aren't completely dissimilar. maybe listen to Fennez too.

shill

>i get it from people describing that listening to this music generally involves not being engaged with the sound itself but using it to "zone out"
yeah, like with any music, thats of course one way to use it, not the only

i tried, yellow swans are some of the worst sounds attempting to pass as music i have ever heard.

if you really want to get it just take shrooms and listen to noise. Do you ever listen to avant garde jazz music? free improvisation?

youtube.com/watch?v=5QyIs2P3p1g

listening to this kind of music on shrooms was a milestone for me

also on that note, what do you think of abstract electronic music? have you heard Autechre's live albums?

I need to be in the right mood for it tbdesu

i don't listen to it all the time but it can be incredibly cathartic when i'm in the mood for it