Why does it feel like the lombardi trophy is so much more valuable than other championship trophies...

why does it feel like the lombardi trophy is so much more valuable than other championship trophies? only the stanley cup feels remotely as prestigious for some reason

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0fEnNo_yTT8
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup#
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_awards#Team_awards
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because out of the four, those are the two least rigged leagues. Not to say they aren't rigged, just comparably less so.

that looks like a really shitty Copa Libertadores.

Literally deflate gate?

stanlee>world flagpoles>lamborgardhi>mlelscup>championsleague>high school state championship>niggerbounce

as kid I always thought they held the stan lee cup upside down

bump

Fucking hell those are some ugly trophies. I'm glad I'm not American desu.

I don't really watch Gridiron football that much but I like that trophy more than the others. It's simple and too the point. As much as I love hockey I fucking hate the way that giant piece of shit looks. OP is still right though. The only two that really matter are stanlee and lombardi

the world cup and the champions league trophy are infinitely more prestigious than any of those pieces of garbage lmao

Perpetual trophies are pure kino tho

what in the name of fuck even is a perpetual trophy

I'd never want to change the stanlee because of it's history at this point but I still hate the way it looks.

Come to think of it, the NHL blows away every other league on the planet when it comes to trophies.

It's one where there is only one ever made and the champ only gets to hold it as long as they are champ. Often the champs are engraved into the trophy like the Stanley Cup. It is the only one ever it is perpetual. It's like the one ring. It rules them all and is owned by none.

>lombardi
>even remotely close to Lord Stanleys Cup
>any trophy for any sport ever coming close to the Stan Lee
get out

the stanley cup would look the best of all of them if they just chopped all those rings off the bottom

too little tb.h

It's a perpetual trophy they need the space to engrave the winners of every Stanley cup ever.

if you can lift it its too small

oh hey trophlets hows it going

Stanley cup had the richest history. That's why it's the goat trophy even though the NHL is rinkey dink as a league

kek look at these puny little toys

They are both shit aesthetically and even have crap history since those current trophies are somewhat new

sure but then eventually itll be as large as a mountain and wont fit in the arena. they could just leave one of the circles on the bottom and then just replace it with another once its full and store the others somewhere

>His trophy still exists

They do you dummy

then why leave so many on? if you remove them why leave all those on. i think it would look less ugly with less rings is all

History, it's not a trophy for weak fags like yourself

Objectively, and I'm not even a hockey fan:

Stanley Cup

everything else

You can say WC has a greater audience, that the Super Bowl is the most important American championship, say whatever, but the fact is that there is no other TROPHY that comes close to the Cup.

also not a hockey fan...stan lee is the champ, dumb to even dispute it

got some affection for the jules rimet, but it's affection like petting a shih tzu

don't mind the newer MLS Supporters' Shield desu, but i have been an MLS fan since the inaugural year, contributed to the original SS fund, etc., so that's sentimental

New mls cup is pretty sweet

The Stanley Cup is shit, that's why players are happy to piss in it.

yeah it ain't bad (unlike, say, the old Supporters' Shield, literally one of the ugliest trophies)...too much blank space for me, though

another bias here is that my team has won an SS but not an MLS Cup, because fuck the world

>his cup needs pampering like a little girl
This is why you're called yurosofts
Yeah it's a tad too shiny and plastic toy looking but it's decent

>not taking a dump in the cup so the next team that wins it eats cereal out of something you shat in

>caring about that fucking dogshit ugly trophy

pic related is a proper trophy, The Scottish Football Association Cup. Commissioned and first awarded in 1874 , the same trophy has been competed for and won every year for 144 years(minus the war years), won by 25 different teams. From the early founders and pioneers of the sport Association Football like Queen's Park, to successful clubs of the 19th century who are now out of business like Renton, Vale of Leven and Third Lanark, right through to modern day giants like Celtic and Rangers; the same trophy has been awarded to every winner since 1874.

It is the oldest silverware in football, and one of the top 10 oldest in the entire sporting world.

Americans don't know FUCKING SHIT about history or tradition

Looks like a babby sippy cup

How come Scotland is so shit if it has so much football history? Why are England and the PL better?

We have teams just as old as yours, dumbass.

American sports trophies have prestige since they are the ONLY high honor a team can earn in their respective sports.

Povertyball has multiple champions and trophies a team can win which completely waters down the prestige of their award trophies.

prove me wrong

>He says triumphantly while showing us a picture of the team using the trophy as a literal hat.

money.

the best Scottish teams were as good as the best English teams right up until the early 90s. then globalization and our small population caught up with us. tv money flooded into the big European leagues, and the small countries couldn't compete with them anymore.

Scottish league was a top 5 league right through the 60s, 70s, 80s. Celtic were the first club in the UK to win the Champions League. Aberdeen under Sir Alex beat Real Madrid to win the Cup Winners Cup in the 80s. Rangers won European trophies. Dundee, Dundee Utd, Rangers and Celtic all reached the semis of the Champions League

in those days clubs money was generated pretty much 100% just from the fans buying tickets. nowadays its all from TV money and sponsorship. And Scotland's money from that is an absolute drop in the ocean compared to England, and the
rest of Europe.

here's a video of Dunde United being cheated out of Champions League final by Roma in 1984

youtube.com/watch?v=0fEnNo_yTT8

Thing of glory desu

Reckon they got rid of it cos it was too "Problematic"

>Le Stanley cup is better cos it's bigger

Such an Americanism, from an Aesthetic point of view the NBA one is the most eye catching

>posts about history and tradition and pride
>all his posts are conveniently marked by the slave-flag his anglo masters made him wear in his cuckshed of a """""""""""country"""""""""""

wew, almost had me fooled

Major League Soccer (MLS) Trophy

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Cup#

damn scotcucks BTFO

eh, not a hockey fan

the stan lee is awesome not because of its size, but because its size is a direct function of how much history is written into it

also, it does look nice, on the whole

and fuck, let's face it, size is cool

everyone who doesn't have size spends their whole life rationalizing that shit

Actually a pretty valid point

It's also the hardest to win out of any sport

>When you pick up the Stanley cup you feel the weight of all the champions who came before you.

Are any other trophies even close in terms of size/weight?

scroll up, some bigger ones were posted

The oldest professional sports league in the world is American you geek

no its not, champ. england and scotland had football tournaments long before america.

and that wasnt even the statement i was making anyway, moron. the absolute state of your reading comprehension

> he doesn't know what "league" means

it's all too good, derbyshire

>he doesn't know what trophy or silverware means

lmaoing @ ur life

he said league, not silverware

rain getting to your brain, then?

>Make a factually correct claim
>n-no it's not!

uh-huh and i said silverware and trophy in the first place, and absolutely fuck all about a league or competition you absolute fucktard.

are all you cunts this damn thick over there lmao

>football competitions in scotland and england dating to 1860s
>o-ours our older!

if he's going to be a moron and misrepresent the original point, i'll do the same to his

oh christ, i didn't realize you were the scotposter

all your comments are utterly invalidated

get back to me when you have a nation, a history, some pride. you are completely prenatal. try a little bit harder in the next referendum, i guess?

un fucking believable that you would show your face

i think there's like three of us merikangz responding to you...cease and desist, boys, this man has no country, don't hurt him any further

The stanley cup feels like the only real trophy. The others look like participation awards. They all need to be at least as big as ol Stan

No you had to interject some anti-American drivel at the end because it lives in your head rent-free that wasn't correct and I called you out on it

Nic b8

Which one is that? English League started in 1888

They keep adding a new level every time they run out of space for engravings. Eventually it's going to be so tall nobody will be able to lift it

The national league of professional baseball clubs was founded in 1876. the league's champion faces off against the American league champion in the world series.

>getting this upset about a sports trophy

the absolute state of you mate

Oh, but that isn't a real league, it's basically engulfed by another one that's founded in 1901, meh

Not true they remove the older rings and place them in the HoF

Also, if we go by that metric, The Football Association was founded in 1863

They just retire rings.

>No you had to interject some anti-American drivel at the end because it lives in your head rent-free that wasn't correct

lliterally what???

how can you write a sentence like that, read it over, read it over again and still think it makes any sense lmao.

you cunts are as thick as two planks of wood

Time to include some strong black men in the NHL they can lift it

Major League Baseball isn't it's own league (as its name would suggest). I'm happy to see that you were plain wrong and are now moving goalposts.

>it lives in your head rent-free that wasn't correct

American intellectuals everybody

that shit on the right looks like a crumpled candy wrapper

absolutely disgusting

The post you responded to said the oldest pro sports league is American. You said “no it’s not”
>I w-was only p-pretending to be retarded

How can it be a league if it doesn't give you a title? lmao

If you mean league as in a bunch of teams coming together, then the Football Asociation is a league by that metric, and far older

No, the FA is analogous to the MLB. There are also individual leagues, which are different, and the national league is the oldest one.

Define league, I'll wait

You win a title in the national league. What are you on about?

Oh right you're just a shitposter who doesn't even watch sports. Carry on

>le no best of one for gold ball trophy because running is hard
what did they mean by this?

you could argue no american leagues are actually leagues. theyre more cup competitions like the CL. group stages in a league formal then knockout stages. saying that calling it the champions league is a misnomer because its not a league either

wat

thats because it isnt.

england and scotland had sporting competitions in the 1870s.

thanks for playing anyway, champ.

That picture is still a model compared to the average muckmouth shitthong

>American and Canadian sports thread
>butthurt yuros come in amd shit it up

This doesn't involve you

Define league, come on.

No matter how you define it, there's an English version that's older.

The south american mongrels that are still slaves to their european cum lords are the most disheartening. Makes me sad

>Argentina
>Europe
why are ameridumbs so averse to learning basic geography?

Competitions aren't leagues. The first non intra murial game of American football was played between Rutgers and Yale but that didn't make them a league.

Scotland's flag contributes just as much as England's to the UK flag though.

>future winners will be baptising their children in your feces

Gnarly bants

You don't win a title. You win a "pennant", and a ticket to a final that gives you a title. It's basically a semifinal.

I don't even notice you bugs

what do say "the oldest league in the world" is? and what do you say a league is?

The definition of league: "a group of sports clubs which play each other over a period for a championship"

The oldest thing to fit that definition: The Football Association

nobody cares.

the oldest still competed for professional sports competition, league or otherwise, is not american. fact.

swing and a miss. better luck next time, champ.

Least rigged to most rigged

Baseball > Hockey > Football > Basketball > Soccer

how's football rigged?

I know English isn't your first language but that image literally says you
>A national (read: member team of the national league) wins the league's pennant

You are the National league champion, you get to represent your league at the world series.

yall are delusional. i'm not even a big nhl guy (nba is my favorite north american sporting league) and the stanely cup is the most beautiful trophy. also I'm a rags fan so I have every reason to hate that trophy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League

>ctrl + f trophy
>0 results

KEK is that what americans consider a league? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>the AL and NL aren't real leagues because their champions play each other at the end
Get a load of this retard.

>He doesn't R8 lacrosse
>The ancient game of the Iroquois nation
KEK

I'm not him.
let's say they are leagues, what's your point?

So it's the oldest thing to have "league" in its name (despite not being a league because it has a playoff format)?

But it's neither the oldest playoff format to award a championship

Nor it's the oldest league, as in a group of clubs coming together to play a championship every year

Nor it's the oldest league format championship

There's virtually no definition under which it's the oldest league

His point was they weren't leagues.
lrn2google
Both the AL and NL obviously have their own trophies.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_awards#Team_awards

Originally it was just record. I've also never heard of someone saying a league isn't a league because it has playoffs.

So your definition of league is "a bunch of teams coming together every year to play for a championship", which is the standard definition in dictionaries, which makes The Football Association the oldest league in the world regardless of it not being called a league, gotcha

but I think the argument was that your baseball league was the oldest tournament in the world or something.
which just doesn't sound right.

I think the stanley cup is looked at with such prestige because it is not only the most difficult to get (you have to win 16 games against 4 different teams, and play a possible 28), but the history and stories attached to it are incredible. Also, when you touch the cup you know that some of the greatest to ever play the game have touched that same cup. Not using the same trophy year after year is lame af. You get your one summer with the cup, and then you have to pass it onto the next team, or fight to get it back.

>and the world's oldest current professional team sports league
is English your first language?

Kek

Not seeing that anywhere

>the world's oldest current professional team sports league after The Football Association
I think the other Argentine just changed the wiki article.
which goes to show how reliable your source is.

>no trophy awarded
>a league

OH NO NO NO NO NO

They have a trophy

>trophy has the ball of the sport on it
oh dear

I'm non-ironically trying to understand the claim here

Granted, it's the oldest thing to have "league" in its official name, but it's not the oldest league by any margin, by any definition of league

>they left
lmao

Interesting, I never knew that. I wonder how they'll display the old rings when they accumulate a whole lot of them

>Not called a league
>Still wants to be a league
Kys

what competition are you refering to in this post?

>trying this hard

What if a trophy made completely of diamonds was won once every thousand years to the worlds biggest faggo? That would be the best trophy ever

how dumb are you?

because the whole thing that started this was some brit making the tired claim that Americans have no history or tradition, when that isnt the case, especially regarding sports compared to others. Someone pointed out that the oldest continually running sports league in the world was American to illustrate what a shit statement that was, and yuros and sudacas changed the subject about autistically arguing about what a league constitutes and who's was around by a few years more 150 years ago, which completely missed the point of what the person was trying to point out refuting the claim "Americans have no tradition or understanding of history"

>Someone pointed out that the oldest continually running sports league in the world was American
yeah, but, see, this sounds like fake news.

Stanley Cup has a guy who's full time job it is to safeguard the cup, because when the Gretzky led Oilers first one it they took it to a strip club and it got a lap dance

Autist tico fuck off

Does anyone party better than hockey players?

Damn btfo
But it's a fact.

is it though?
where's that fact's source?

I got tired of the stupid Brit changing his argument from post to post